Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, ajames, A-Tom, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, 45 invisible), 1661 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1011994 - 09/03/04 09:39 AM Re: How do I teach myself to play?
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I really like Roxane, jazpianizt, and signa's posts above.

I have been working on my own for almost a year and I really wish I could find a teacher I had confidence in because I am at that point in time I am sure a good teacher could help me. It is just that I am also aware a good teacher is very hard to find. A number of years back I worked as a flight instructor and I saw so many potential pilots washout of training because of poor flight instructors.

At this point in time I am going to keep working on my own but I am keeping my eyes open for a good teacher. Just someone I could meet with occasionally to keep an eye on what I am doing.

anon

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1011995 - 09/03/04 08:12 PM Re: How do I teach myself to play?
tnschaffer Offline

Loc: Half way between here and ther...
I am not looking to become a concert pianist, nor to raise any! \:\) . I simply want to make some nice music on our piano. To be able to play hymns on Sunday morning, to play a few christmas songs and such... That is about the extent i am looking for \:\) .

I appreciate everyones replies here! I will continue in my quest of teaching myself...with an occasional check in from my Aunt (who may not be a "good teacher" but has been playing EXTREMELY WELL for 22 years \:\) .

thanks for all the food for thought!!

#1011996 - 09/07/04 04:00 AM Re: How do I teach myself to play?
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Luckychwee:
The "short time" you mean is like roughly how long and what can an adult pick up from a child ?

Supposing if the child attend the lessons for a couple of let's say 6 months, do u think the parent can learn same as well if he/she also practise and do all exercises given by the teacher ? [/b]
I think you were asking me.

Please do not consider me an expert. I am a beginner on piano. I have played brass instruments all my life (I'm in my 50's now) and sung in choirs. I read music well, I understand the basics of theory, and I know how to carve practise time out of my daily schedule. I have no idea where you are starting from. I have just started taking piano lessons, because I think a month of lessons may save me six months of trial and error and wrong turns. Or more. If I did not take lessons, I am relatively sure I can still teach myself to play piano - but it will surely be less efficient, and at my age who knows how many years I have left?

Okay, I'll give you an answer, but it is probably wrong. I think you need one month of lessons, and then to follow your child's lessons for five months, and then return for another month of lessons, and at that point you may know enough to make a decision.

By the way, I would be completely honest with the teacher. I would tell him/her you are short of time and/or money, and would like to try putting your child in lessons for six months, and you will take one month and may come back in six months for a followup, and get their input. Maybe they have experience with adults and infrequent lessons.

#1011997 - 10/23/04 08:04 PM Re: How do I teach myself to play?
James L. Taylor Offline

Loc: Towson, Maryland
I just told another player I started out teaching myself with children books. I have been playing for nearly 4 years. Had an instructor at $18.oo, half hour. Store closed down and back teaching myself. She was a good instructor but kept me on one song for months at a time. Felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. Every day I learn more and more and play better day by day. She had me play "Solace" at a recital cause I played it so well. I ruined the song, as I was scared stiff.

#1011998 - 10/24/04 07:04 AM Re: How do I teach myself to play?
cranky woman Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Also, this is not for my children, its for me. I will not begin to teach my children until I am a confident piano player. [/b]

In regards to teaching your children - I have been a successful piano teacher for over 18 years (affiliated with a university for 14 yrs). I've also taught workshops on teaching children piano throughout the U.S. I also have 3 children of my own. I thought teaching my children would be an ideal situation since I have the knowledge and ability and have been successful with hundreds of other children. Boy, was that a disaster! :rolleyes:

I found that teaching my own children just did not work. They had a real difficult time separating teaching from criticism. (no matter how positive and careful I was with the words) I can't tell you how many times I heard "how do you know?" or "but I did it right! You don't know anything". I did find, however, that my boys were more receptive than my daughter (maybe a mother/daughter thing?). As soon as I placed them with a good teacher our parent/child relationship improved dramatically. The teacher could say the exact same thing that I did, but it didn't come across as a personal attack. I was able to be a listener and a cheering squad which is the perfect spot for a parent to be in.

Anyway, from a parent/child situation, I would recommend finding another teacher than yourself. I know $$ is an issue, but a previous post suggested offering a trade. I have had successful and unsuccessful experience here as well. I've had cleaning, massage, appliances and landscaping trades. Just be sure to spell out exactly what you will offer and what you will receive in return. This can be a great solution for all parties if handled correctly. Neither party wants to feel as if they are being taken advantage of.

Another thought, I have had transfer students come to me self taught. Yes, you can learn some things on your own. My experience with transfer students has been quite frustrating. Usually they come with such poor training that we have to start over or they have developed such bad habits that it is virtually impossible to correct. (usually poor fingering and bad hand postition) You would be wise to do whatever you can to find a teacher instead of learning on your own.

Good luck!

Cranky Woman \:D

#1011999 - 10/25/04 03:34 PM Re: How do I teach myself to play?
ragtimebg Offline

Loc: California
I have taught myself to play the piano, after a couple years of early lesssons. If I could redo my life, I'd take more lessons.....

#1012000 - 10/26/04 06:36 PM Re: How do I teach myself to play?
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
JLT's comment above scares me - "months on a song at a time". I would go nuts spending that much time on a piece.

That is one of the reasons I am going it alone for now. If I got a teacher like that I would probably be burning up Duracells in my metronome. Tick, Tick, Tick, Bing.

anon

#1012001 - 10/26/04 07:41 PM Re: How do I teach myself to play?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
Mine goes Bing, Tick, Tick, Tick... ;\)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
12/18/14 01:26 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159959 Topics
2349136 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission