2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Wow

An incredible gift was given to me by fate or good friends. I just had the opportunity to play a wonderfully prepared Hamburg Steinway in a marvelous acousic environment in one of the larger churches in Cleveland, Ohio. I'll get to the organ later.

A close friend of a dear friend, someone in my circle, is the janitor of a church. She brought me there, stayed for a few moments, and left. I was alone with pure silence and music, swimming together for what came to be three hours of pure bliss. I have never been so amazed by the power of music. Everything was ok with me and the mistakes. Mistakes turned into new vistas about to be explored and left behind. Mozart and Bach and Cage and Bryan Carney just hangin' out speaking plaintively. I wept like a baby.

After, since I had left my phone in the sanctuary, seven friends and I came back to the church for an impromptu concert. I wasn't nervous or hesitant. I played for another hour and stopped when it seemed appropriate. Although I don't take the words of supportive friends and twist them into licenses and false esteem, I was truly amazed by how much the music touched their hearts. My oldest male companion was in tears. Maybe this was their first exposure to Bach and Brahms. I think it truly was. We need an agent to make the symbols of dead masters into vibrant forms and the vernacular.

The best part is I played two of JS Bach's six little preludes, a few inventions and a full-stop C minor prelude from WTC 1 on a 2500 pipe organ, operated by my truly astounded ***... ...At midnight, nonetheless.

Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that something so simple as levers and sound could give my life such definition and perspective. Not three years ago.

Maybe I am giving myself the license to really admit that I have some talent, am not a ne'er-do-well loser, or something to be belittled. I sure hope so. Maybe I won't be famous or make a living from this thing called music, but I can try to make it something I don't have to keep hidden from others' ears for fear of their dismissal. None of that matters.

This may seem like a silly Livejournal heart-on-his-sleve feel-good-fest. It would have been. I coulnd't decide. Sorry.

Thanks for listening. Effort pays off, when I least expect it. I hope it isn't hidden forever, for you.

YAY

=====================
nil volentibus arduum
=====================
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
What a great story. I await the day I can play with complete abandon.

I would love to have been there.

I don't know if it's musical, magical, or mental, but pipe organs played in a church seem other-worldly to me, really moving, the vibrations fill the space and lift you off the ground. Man, I wish I was there.....

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission