Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#101326 - 08/13/07 06:42 AM Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
pington Offline

I live in Washington DC area. I am shopping for a Kawai grand RX-2. I would appreciate greatly if I can get some help on current price range and the name of a good dealership.

Many thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#101327 - 08/13/07 12:28 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
GoatRider Offline

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I just played one yesterday, it's the best piano I've tried so far. I loved the feel of it- I could play it so quietly I could barely hear it, I could play very loud, and it was easy to play anything in between. It was marked at $20,000 or so (in ebony. I think the wood-colored one was more). A bit above my budget, but it might be possible. The current "piano book" supplement lists it at $23,790.

Sorry, I'm in MN, can't help you with finding one in DC.
Kawai RX-2 #2555861 in Satin Walnut
Kawai ES6

#101328 - 08/13/07 02:19 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Herndon, VA
The new Kawai dealers in the DC area are Jordan Kitts (lots of locations) and The Piano Company in Leesburg. If you're willing to go used, there are several options, but Rick Jones in Beltsville usually has several.

In the price range of the RX-2, I'd also consider:
(If anyone knows other dealers that carry these in this area, feel free to chime in)

Vogel 177T (Rick Jones, Harl Pianos/Alexandria, Piano Company/Leesburg)

Bohemia 185 (Harl Pianos)

Knabe WKG58/64 (Jordan Kitts)

Young Chang YP175/185 - I don't know who is currently carrying them - if you can find a recent Pramberger Platinum (JP175/185), that's essentially the same design, and probably available at a very competitive price....
Estonia 190, #6098

#101329 - 08/13/07 04:32 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
pington Offline

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your quick replies.

kokomo61, I was looking for a way to get into touch with you after reading quite a bit of your great earlier posts.

I did go to Jordan Kitts. But their quotes are too high (20k area). Costco is having a piano show this week. A RX-2 for 17.4K before tax with free delivery and 1 tuning. I got a offer from a VA dealer for 16.7K tax/delivery/tuning included, which I thought as a good price. But now after I read you can get RX3 for 15.8 last year, and RX-2 for 14s, I started to feel I don't know the market in this area. What would be a good price this year in DC area? Many, many thanks.

#101330 - 08/13/07 04:57 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
pington, keep in mind that the price quoted you the first time you ask is almost never the price that the dealer will sell the piano for, once you sit down with checkbook in hand for serious dickering.

You may be able to get a better deal from the Costco road show, but the piano is likely not to have been prepped well (or at all), so budget a few hundred dollars for a thorough regulation and voicing if you go that route.

#101331 - 08/13/07 07:27 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
NoFingerControl Offline

Loc: San Diego
Actually there was a dealer in Los Angeles who had really unbelievable deals on RX-2s. I think I posted this information a long time ago. I have no idea if he is still around. His prices were 5,000 dollars than the Costco price fot the RX-2. He would not really say where he got the pianos. but he claimed they were new and had the same warranty. Maybe these were some type of grey market pianos or something. I really have no idea. But the point is you can check around.

Unfortunately, I have found that piano dealers, in my area, at least will tell you almost anything..most of it untrue..to sell you a piano..acoustic or upright..at whatever price they think they can get. So never believe anyone about prices here..including what people tell you here.since some are dealers.

For example..the Clavinova CVPs from overseas will go up in flames because they are not U.L. approved. Lol..I am still waiting for that to happen..8 years after I saved over 4000 dollars over the local San Diego price *$600..the Euro was low then). . Greene music...who has a monopoly over a large area..when the same pianos in L.A. go for thousands less. They refuse to discount to match, and why should I have to drive to L.A.?> He is not doing any favors to Yamaha.

Or..yes all that buzzing and trembling of the piano can be fixed with proper voicing. Yeah right. Told to me about various Samick uprights..from PianoExchange..no longer around.

Or..well the piano sounds bad because you have no finger control. This dealer frequents this board.or used to..hence my name. Blaming me instead of the cheapshit pianos he sold. I would post the name of his store, but I am sure he has changed it as he moved. The piano in question was a Steinberg..he insisted to me this was a quality upright, and it sounded bad and played bad because of my playing. Lol.

Oh the top end of that piano does not sing because it has not been properly voiced. This may or may not be true..but I am not going to shell out thousands of dollars for some type of lie. PianoWarehouse..which actually is probably the best dealer here. They do the Costco sales here.

My favorite..when I asked why not one of the pianos on showroom floor was in tune at all..I was told..did you know how hard it is to keep pianos in tune in a showroom? But ALL Of them? lol. .Other local dealers did not have this problem. This was McElvoy music. Never went back there again.

#101332 - 08/13/07 07:28 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
Keith D Kerman Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
Pington,

Play several RX2s, and choose the one that performs the best. If one plays better than the other, and you feel that and the service you will get after delivery justifies the price, buy it. If one doesn't sound as good, but the price is enough less to make up for that, buy that one.
Prices people got on pianos last year do not change what you buy a piano for now.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#101333 - 08/13/07 07:52 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
Captain Obvious Offline

I bought my RX-2 for $12,175 after rebate, or $12,775 before rebate. That's an exceptional price, but there have been reports of people who have paid $15k or less over the past couple years.

My best guess is that dealer cost is about $10,500 after all incentives.

I'd say $20k is highway robbery.

#101334 - 08/13/07 08:24 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
pington Offline

Thanks so much again, everyone for your help.

Captain Obvious,
Look like you are in the same area as me. Would you tell me where and when you bought your RX-2? You really got a great deal. Have you enjoyed it since?

#101335 - 08/13/07 09:27 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
GoatRider Offline

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
 Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
I bought my RX-2 for $12,175 after rebate, or $12,775 before rebate. That's an exceptional price, but there have been reports of people who have paid $15k or less over the past couple years.

My best guess is that dealer cost is about $10,500 after all incentives.

I'd say $20k is highway robbery. [/b]
I didn't say I expected to pay $20k- just that that's what was on the sign on top of the piano. I wouldn't have expected to pay as little as $15k though, that's good to know! I wouldn't mind paying a little more actually, I do want the dealer to eat.
Kawai RX-2 #2555861 in Satin Walnut
Kawai ES6

#101336 - 08/13/07 09:37 PM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

pington,

I have no idea how you can come to conclude that you're in the same area as CaptainObvious from the exchanges in this thread. Nonetheless, also see http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18602/2.html#000026

A "good deal" sometimes come with a cost.

Oh yes, I do think that $20k is unusually high. But I also think $13k- is unusually low. I would concur with what Keith D Kerman has written above.

#101337 - 08/14/07 12:54 AM Re: Shopping For a Kawai RX-2
Captain Obvious Offline

I bought it from Ryan at Kuypers Music in Des Moines, Iowa. As Ax has pointed out, I feel I was mislead about my trade-up options, and I wasn't thrilled with their tech. However, with the money I saved, I can easily afford to have any tech work done that I desire.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, Adypiano, 36251, 41 invisible), 1737 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153528 Topics
2249875 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
04/17/14 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
04/17/14 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
04/17/14 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission