Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1013401 - 02/14/05 02:13 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi Rodney

Send me an email and I will gladly send you some midis showing you how I'm doing...okay?

regards

Lee \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1013402 - 02/16/05 06:58 AM Re: Piano Magic website
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Rodney

As you asked for midi files within this thread I thought I would answer your questions here

Quote:

via email from Rodney :-

Hi Lee,

Thanks for taking the time.... sounds great!!!

I noticed that all the music you sent me was in a Ballad style. Is this your primary area of focus or just the specific selections you decided to send? Do you learn other styles (Jazz, Swing, POP/Dance, Rock, etc.) with the Pianomagic course? How about learning to take a piece in one style on play it in another?

BTW:

Amazing progress in the time you've been learning!!! After two years, I can't even begin to just sit at the piano and improvise anything. :-(

Rodney [/b]

To answer your questions

As you know I have been a member of pianomagic for around 16 months and so far my ability to play ballads is far greater than the faster stuff

Yes, you will learn how to play songs at all sorts of tempos and styles and if you want to play in a certain style all you have to do is ask Mikey and he will provide an audio or video demonstration if he hasn't already.

I can play faster style songs but, when I turn on the record button I usually goof up if I am not too good at it \:\( ...so the majority of my recordings have been ballad style so far ...but, hey! I am on a journey of never ending discovery \:D ...16 months ago I couldn't play a note ...now, I play like you have just heard...which judging from your reaction we both think is kinda Kool...yes?

Also to answer your other question ...yes one of the aspects of learning the way I am learning is that you can take any song and play it in whatever style you desire...but, its great fun just building ability upon ability (most of the time without even noticing) and staying where you are comfy until your brain has the free space to move on. The primary focus of "pianomagic" is to make learning to play the piano the most fun you have ever had.

Now I've got to ask you a question... you've been taking traditional piano lessons with a teacher and as you said to me in your first email practising 2 hours a day.

I haven't paid for any traditional lessons with a teacher I just paid around $80 for Mikes year long help and guidance, and with his help and encouragement have taught myself.

How do you and I compare in playing ability?

Lee

P.S.

I shall send you something a little more uptempo

#1013403 - 02/16/05 08:01 AM Re: Piano Magic website
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
Lee,

To give you an idea of my progress... I'm currently working my way through "Harris Piano Classics Vol 3/a" and can currently play from this volume:

Air en Gavotte ( Graupner, C.)
Bourree ( Kirnberger, J.P.)
Hornpipe in B flat ( Purcell, H.)
Menuet in G Major, BWV Anh. 114 ( Bach, J.S.)

It takes me about 2 weeks to completely master a new piece at this level (about an hour of my time per day). I can sight read HS (both left and right) pieces at this level but HT is brutally hard until it just seems to click.

I split the rest of my time on scales, arpegios, memorizing chord fingering, and sight reading practice.

I made it through Alfreds Adult course volume 1 and part of volume 2 but became bored with the method pieces so I switched to developing sight reading skills. I checked on the weekend and discovered that I can now sight read nearly every piece in volume 2 at about half tempo and can play any piece at tempo with anything from 1 to a few hours of practice.

I memorized a few pieces from volume 1 that I use as warm up exercises... "The Entertainer", "Greensleeves", "Amazing Grace", "Auld Lang Syne", ... What I don't have memorized, I can sight read at tempo the first time through (no great feat since these are all easy renditions that I have already learned once befor but never memorized).

I have also picked up (portions) of a few POP pieces including "The Rose", "My Immortal", and a few classics "Canon in D", "Fur Elise".

In terms of theory, I know all the Major scales and practice them regularly up and down 4 octaves together and in opposition. I know many of the Major/Minor/Augmented/Diminished/Suspended/7th/ etc. chords and their inversions by heart and can figure out what isn't memorized with about 5 seconds of thought. My teacher was big on ensuring I understood the relationship between scales and chords as he doesn't believe in chord charts.

I'm fairly happy with my progress so far BUT as I stated before, I "CAN NOT" just sit at the piano/keyboard and improvise anything or even mildly modify the pieces I know. :-(

While I'm sure that with another few years of study and practice, I'll be able to perform some of the more advanced pieces available, I doubt I'll be any closer to being able to just sit at the keyboard and play (improvise). Unfortunately I want to be able to do both and just haven't figured out how to get there (YET).

Rodney

#1013404 - 02/16/05 08:20 AM Re: Piano Magic website
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Rodney

Sounds like you are doing just great \:D ...to be honest I don't know any of the classical pieces you mention sorry \:\( ...so I still really have no idea how your playing ability compares to mine?

I can improvise at the drop of a hat! ...the improv. I sent you was recorded in the 10 minutes spare I had after shutting my gym and was played off the top of my head...which I know you are going to love being able to do \:\) ..it is sooo easy you will not believe!

I can play well over 50 songs now and can normally work out a new song in about 15 minutes...some songs though are still beyond me yet? I just can't work them out and they are on my "can't play list" to be tried again at a later date as my knowledge grows ;\)

I could play a medley of all the unfinished songs that I have tried to play for probably 24 hours straight if I had the time!

Quote:

While I'm sure that with another few years of study and practice
sounds a little like torture...I like to think of practise as fun!

thanks for the reply

Lee

#1013405 - 02/17/05 01:46 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi George

As you emailed me because of what you have read in this thread I feel it is best that I answer your questions here also...

Quote:

by george via email

Hi Lee,
Thanks for the recordings. They are impressive. It hard to believe you can sound like this after 16 months. If you wish to send me more of them don't hesitate. It is a real pleasure to listen to the music performed in such a way.
There is one thing I would like to ask you. I am a bit suprised with the unusual fingering Mike prefers ( no thumbs?- such an information I found in FAQ on his website). Tell me something about it. Do you use your thombs while playing or not? Is this fingering unusual ? Does it look strange when you put your hands on the keys or it looks just normal.
Awaiting your answer - George.[/b]
Yes you are right... Mike teaches you to play with unusual fingering at first which quickly leads to more advanced playing in his and my and many others opinion ...once you get used to this then of course you can use your thumbs for much more advanced harmony and melody.

It looks a little unusual as you start out but, then as the weeks go by you will use your thumbs quite happily...okay?

And yes it almost sounds too good to be true...doesn't it? (but, I and many, many others play just like how you heard)

If you need more of my tunes??...it will cost you ££££'s

If you want to play and sound like me in 16 months time then you know what to do ...don't you?

hope this helps?

#1013406 - 02/18/05 06:53 AM Re: Piano Magic website
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Alright, Doug, you've been a pianomagician for a week. Give us the straight dope.

#1013407 - 02/18/05 07:09 AM Re: Piano Magic website
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mark

Are you implying the other kind members (who kindly posted their experiences to help you) and myself have not been giving it to ya straight? \:\(

Lee

#1013408 - 02/18/05 07:36 AM Re: Piano Magic website
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh, no, Lee, that's not what I meant! I was just asking for Doug's honest opinion (you see, with Doug, you need to specifically request honesty; otherwise, you get some sarcastic, wise-a** response). I also think it's helpful to get a beginner's perspective in addition to the veterans' perspective. You and the other pianomagicians have been very helpful!

If I thought that you and the others weren't giving it to me straight, I wouldn't still be considering the program.

#1013409 - 02/18/05 08:32 AM Re: Piano Magic website
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

That's okay then ;\) ...phew...you had me worried there for a moment \:\)

We shall await our good friend "Doug"....to see how he's getting along during his first week over on the "dark side" \:D

Lee

#1013410 - 02/18/05 09:41 AM Re: Piano Magic website
dgoddard2 Offline

Loc: los angeles
 Quote:
Originally posted by markb:
with Doug, you need to specifically request honesty; otherwise, you get some sarcastic, wise-a** response). [/b]
Now my feelings are hurt. When have I said anything sarcastic?( Oh, wait, that was sarcastic right there. . .).

My impressions after one week:

I think pianomagic is a good thing to try for at least two types of pianists:

1) People who sight read, take lessons, or play classical music, but are frustrated by the fact that they can't so much as play "happy birthday" without sheet music (and even with the sheet music they have to play exactly what is written.) I was closest to this group, although I have done some playing by ear in the past year, and enjoy it.

2)People who own a keyboard or piano, and are not interested in “studying” music. They just want to play songs they like on the #!*&! Thing.

I am enjoying it enough after one week that I expect to stick with it. For me the value will likely come from the interaction with Mike, who runs the site. I’m going to send him a recording of myself this weekend, in response to a recording he sent me last week. The one thing I can say for sure after one week is that Mike is as enthusiastic, energetic and responsive as he seems.

Another question I will answer, that you are too polite to ask, is “are people like Seaside Lee” for real? (Sorry Lee, I wondered for a while.) There are a group of people in pianomagic who are having great success and fun with it, and they have the fervor of converts. So yes, Lee is real, and I believe the stuff he writes here is his real experience with Pianomagic.

It’s probably not fair for me to review the specific techniques Mike teaches after one week. There is a lot of overlap with what I have tried to teach myself about playing by ear, and I am a great believer in the approach in general. What this has that the stuff I’ve done for myself doesn’t is feedback/coaching from Mike.

So, its not like some kind of cult. It’s just a nice group of folks, with a charismatic leader, and they serve great Kool-aid. . .

Doug

#1013411 - 02/18/05 11:02 AM Re: Piano Magic website
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh Doug, Doug, Doug, *that's* why you have a reputation for the, ummmm, tone of your messages!

And thanks for the update!

#1013412 - 02/18/05 11:21 AM Re: Piano Magic website
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
Hey, I was wondering why this thread was getting so long, and now I know!

Well, my reaction to those who want to use the PianoMagic method is "Go for it!" Really, whatever rocks your boat, turns you on, works for you, blah, blah. I understand the frustration of studying classical music and getting better and better at it while your skills at playing chord-based music are slow to improve. That's why I'm doing extra work to learn to use a fake book. I too am looking forward to more reports from Doug as someone who has kind of lived in both worlds.

There's only one thing that didn't really feel right to me. It is this exchange:

Markb:

Quote:

...what do you think the minimum daily practice time is to get any substantial benefit from Pianomagic?
PianoMagic:

Quote:
It doesn't work that way. If you would enjoy playing and applying PianoMagic for 2 minutes, do 2 minutes. If you would enjoy more time, do more time. If you cannot E*N*J*O*Y your time at the keyboard, go do something else. Why? To be ‘really, really GOOD’ at whatever interests you, ya gotta find the PASSION for it! [snip]
I *so* want to believe this, but it really runs counter to my life experience. There are many things in life that require hard work and gutting it out, even when it isn't fun. Being in good physical shape is one. Getting a law degree and being successful in practice is another. I would guess that learning a difficult musical instrument like the piano would be yet another.

I have a hard time believing there is a way to become a good piano player (classical, jazz or pop) without dedicating oneself to putting in time on the bench even when it is sometimes not fun.

Could we be overpromising here, just a teensy little bit?

Cindy -- donning her asbestos suit and taking cover behind Markb

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#1013413 - 02/18/05 11:22 AM Re: Piano Magic website
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgoddard2:

So, its not like some kind of cult. It’s just a nice group of folks, with a charismatic leader, and they serve great Kool-aid. . .
[/QB]
Do you guys have matching Nike sneakers too?

#1013414 - 02/18/05 11:35 AM Re: Piano Magic website
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Cindy, I don't think that PianoMagic was promising that one can get good by practicing 2 minutes a day. I think he meant that the process should be fun regardless of whatever time you can apply. Once it gets to be not fun, don't do it.

It's true, though, that his response didn't totally answer my question. I consider my lesson practice time to be fun, too, but because it's limited, if there comes a point where I don't feel like I'm making what I consider to be adequate process given my time limitations, I'd drop them. That's sort of what I was getting at in my question. I have Sudnow's course and gave that a try, but I realized that I'd have to devote much more time that I currently have in order to make satisfactory progress. During the Sudnow course, he does recommend an hour a day (which can be broken up). I think that's reasonable for the course--I just don't have an hour in addition to my lesson practice time.

#1013415 - 02/18/05 01:06 PM Re: Piano Magic website
dgoddard2 Offline

O.k. I'll jump in before the real enthusiasts do. I think that by playing by ear, if it goes well:

1) You will get proportionately more positive feed back from your playing for a moderate amount of time spent, than with formal training. (i.e., playing 12 different songs that I like is more satsifying than being on week twelve of your first song.)
2) If you are having fun, you will spend more time doing it.

I think the people who have great success with this method get 5% of the benefit because the techniques taught are good (or not) and 95% because they are having so much fun that they play a lot. (Play, not practice. Not scales or drills.)

I spend about an hour most evenings (more on the weekends). I am probably spending 20-30 minutes of it on the play by ear stuff. If you take to it, I think that would be plenty, but you may end up wanting to do more.

I don't agree with you, Cindy, that you have to spend any time that is not fun, (Remember, I'm not talking about classical or competition here). You do have to play. You will always be able to play Chopin better than me. You probably can't touch my version of "when you and I were young, Maggie", and I'll play it differently every time.

Doug (who sounds more arrogant in this post than he really is . . .)

#1013416 - 02/18/05 02:31 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Cindysphinx Offline

I hear ya, Doug, I do.

I think learning the piano is a daunting task. Period. There's no way around that. Just like learning a foreign language is a daunting task. In fact, it's a good analogy, I think.

Take lessons, learn classical, gut it out, put in lots of time and you'll become "proficient." You'll be able to play a variety of things, including things that aren't classical. (That's the pot at the end of the rainbow for me.)

Go the "play by ear" route and you'll become competent, maybe in less time. It's akin to learning a language from a tape series or phrase book, though. You'll get around, but you'll be more limited in what you can accomplish.

For me, the solution has been to try to learn to fake. I'm finding all of that work with the Circle of Fifths has proved invaluable, and I don't see how someone who doesn't learn chords and key signatures could fake very well beyond the most basic things. Not to mention how faking sounds more interesting when you have the coordination to play something more than three note chords on the beat.

That said, I'm all for having fun, and the reason I have got on so well with my teacher is that she emphasizes playing repertorie rather than exercised. In fact, the only exercise I do at her insistence is scales. I will do chords and arpeggios on my own, but not as often as I should.

'Cause they're not "fun." \:D

#1013417 - 02/18/05 02:45 PM Re: Piano Magic website
dgoddard2 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
[QB]
Go the "play by ear" route and you'll become competent, maybe in less time. It's akin to learning a language from a tape series or phrase book, though. You'll get around, but you'll be more limited in what you can accomplish.

If you mean more limited in the sense of not being able to play particular pieces just as they are composed, I would agree with this. This is why I still practice particular pieces that I enjoy.(I want to play the Maple Leaf Rag they way that it is written, for example)

Apart from that, I know pianists who play by ear who do not seem limited in any way to me.

But I don't want to fight about it, because it sounds like you are in way better shape than me.

Incidently, I don't really have a version of "When You and I were Young, Maggie", but now that I've said it, I'll have to learn one tonight.

Doug

#1013418 - 02/18/05 06:20 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi guys...Hi Doug \:\)

Quote:

posted by Cindysphinx :-

I think learning the piano is a daunting task. Period. There's no way around that. Just like learning a foreign language is a daunting task. In fact, it's a good analogy, I think.
its less daunting than you think...you just need to be shown how easy it actually is ;\)

Thanks Doug for confirming that I am not actually a certifiable loonie!!...although that is open to debate? ;\)

And yes I can rock a piano!...and yes I often transport myself to pianoland!...and yes I have 13 songs in the recital hall charting my progress! ...and yes playing piano is much easier than you guys in "intermediate and advanced hell!" will ever know (which I find sad \:\( )

Keep it up "Doug" I am sooooo looking forward to hearing your first contribution to the "recital hall" \:D over at the ...ahem...dark side...LOL

Lee

#1013419 - 02/18/05 06:40 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Cindysphinx Offline

Quote:
its less daunting than you think...you just need to be shown how easy it actually is
Actually . . . no, it isn't and no, I don't.

Yes, I might be able to make *different* sounds come out of the piano if I did whatever it is you are suggesting. I highly doubt I'd be able to make the sounds *I* want to come out of the piano by doing what you are suggesting.

See, here's the thing. I have a friend who has had many children and has a great body. If you ask her how on earth she manages to do this, she might say "It's easy." Well, OK. It's easy for her. That has nothing to do with whether it will be easy for me.

So I think the most that can be said would be that there are easy ways to get sounds out of a piano, and there are hard ways. People can differ on which sounds they find more pleasing and which sounds they feel like producing. But I think it is a little strange for one person to tell another person who is working hard to produce a particular sound that producing a different sound (or even producing the sound they are producing) is "easy." It's rather beside the point because it is a different beast entirely, no?

My 7-year-old just started 15-minute lessons in December. He can play two songs in middle C position. He is having fun. He thinks piano is easy. I'm OK having him believe that.

For now.

And if all he ever wishes to play is "Puppy Dog" and "Halloween Witch," then he will spend his life saying playing the piano is easy.

And I'll smile and nod. 'Cause that's what we moms do!

#1013420 - 02/18/05 07:12 PM Re: Piano Magic website
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If I may interject, I really think we're comparing apples and oranges. Classical and popular music are not the same. Pianomagic does not claim to be able to teach classical music. If you spent 20 years with Pianomagic, I doubt you'd be able to pick up a "simple" classical piece, say, the Clementi sonatina that's giving me fits, and be able to play it. On the other hand, if you spent 20 years in classical lessons, I doubt you'd be able to hum a well known tune and, by ear, produce a pleasing accompaniment. (Actually, I think there'd be a decent chance of coming up with *something* that doesn't sound too bad, but nothing comparable to what someone who's been playing by ear could produce.)

If you want to learn classical music, take classical lessons. If you want to learn jazz music, take jazz lessons. If you want to play popular music or standards, take popular music or standards lessons (I'll include Pianomagic in there, since there seems to be a curriculum and interactive instruction.)

Other than that, maybe we can refrain from making blanket statements that playing piano is easy or difficult. There are too many qualifiers. It just depends....

#1013421 - 02/18/05 07:17 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Aveu Offline

Loc: points de vue
markb, 20 years is indeed a long time. Perhaps you may want to rethink your thesis? (Near-perfection as it stands, I humbly suggest a slight modification to the ever present gap in logic represented by your calculations. (If I may be so daring as to insert another set of parenthesis within parenthesis, I will do so in order to assure you that I am not questioning your ability to calculate.) That shall be all, I leave in gratitude.

#1013422 - 02/18/05 07:26 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
...)

#1013423 - 02/18/05 07:27 PM Re: Piano Magic website
dgoddard2 Offline

Darn,

I said I didn't want to fight, and now Cindy is going to beat the carp out of me.

For the record, I would love to hear you play some time Cindy. It sounds like you have accomplished great things, and you have more "stick to it" then most of us who ever took lessons. I don't think what you have learned is easy, and I can't do what you do. (I also just love to listen to piano music of all kinds.)

My lessons sucked. I had one year in 1964 from a clueless teacher, so you have learned lots of great stuff I never got to.

One observation for me has been that playing by ear and reading music are quite different skills (maybe just at my level). Learning to read music and learning the theory did not actually help much with playing by ear ( and vice versa). Does your teacher help you with the Fake Book stuff?

Doug

#1013424 - 02/18/05 07:29 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Aveu Offline

Matt, your ability to convey the most intimate of emotions with barely a nimble usage of keyboard characters is humbling to this reader, indeed. Perhaps I may learn of your art, or perhaps not- for I fear it is something one is given by the gods, and not through the way of labour!

#1013425 - 02/18/05 07:32 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
 Quote:
Originally posted by Seaside_Lee:
Music is based on chords...not scales.[/b]
Sorry, but this statement is just so freaking flat-out WRONG that it makes my blood boil. (I'd add more, but there's a limit of eight!)

If this is the kind of brain-dead nonsense that Piano Magic is teaching, then the only thing I can say is that while they might turn you into a passable parlor piano playing drone, this kind of crap (pardon my language) will NEVER make you a musician.

#1013426 - 02/18/05 08:22 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
Aveu- Your speech doth betray you, poetic though it may be. \:\)

#1013427 - 02/18/05 08:26 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Aveu Offline

Jerry Luke, you have glorified my manner of speech by the scope of your comment, which I assure you, is as bright as the moons of Saturn are magical! (And magic they are, betwixt such as gentle beast and of reassuring warmth).

#1013428 - 02/19/05 03:31 AM Re: Piano Magic website
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

hi Matt G

please explain your definition of musician?

#1013429 - 02/19/05 05:42 AM Re: Piano Magic website
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aveu:
markb, 20 years is indeed a long time. Perhaps you may want to rethink your thesis? (Near-perfection as it stands, I humbly suggest a slight modification to the ever present gap in logic represented by your calculations. (If I may be so daring as to insert another set of parenthesis within parenthesis, I will do so in order to assure you that I am not questioning your ability to calculate.) That shall be all, I leave in gratitude. [/b]
You know, after I posted that, I knew I'd get some response. 20 years of lessons probably provides the skills to be proficient in several types of music. The point I so feebly tried to make was that one should focus their studies on the music and sounds one wants to produce, and the methods to do so may very well be different.

Adieu, Aveu!

#1013430 - 02/19/05 06:23 AM Re: Piano Magic website
Cindysphinx Offline

Doug, Doug, Doug,

I'd never try to beat the carp out of you! I *like* you! I respect what you're doing, and I look forward to reading about your progress, really.

I was just feeling a little snippy at some of the comments made in this thread and another that sounded a little off to my ears. Matt picked up on one of them. Another that didn't sit well was a comparison made suggesting that classical music students are "robots."

Markb, ever the diplomat, has totally nailed this. We're talking apples and oranges here, so it isn't fair or right for the apples to say the poor misguided oranges are wasting their money and their time.

What worries me for purposes of our delightful AB forum is that people come here in large part for emotional support in a long (and yes, difficult!) journey. Yes, they might need help with a fingering or understanding notation, of course. But they also need a place to say "Ack! Mozart is kicking my behind!" or "I'm in Intermediate Hell." What they don't need to hear in reply is "This is supposed to be easy; you're doing it wrong."

I mean, I don't think I'd make any friends if I went over to the digital pianists corner and extolled the virtues of my Estonia, popping in to tell someone having problems with their instrument that the real problem is they bought the wrong instrument. Apples and oranges.

Now. Doug, I don't think you've been doing any of that. At all. You're *awesome,* and you're giving me a real run for my money on the practice log. I have no idea who is the better musician, and I don't think it matters at all. I think you've been tremendously helpful to people who post here. I think you bring a lot of credibility to the table, and I very much hope you will continue to tell us about your progress with this program.

And your posts have been wonderfully entertaining, which is just an Extra Added Bonus.

Still friends?

:hopeful, come hither look:

Oh, in answer to your question, I'm doing the fake stuff on my own for now. My teacher has offered to help me, but it is a self-teaching tool. Besides, I need her help to rescue me on the other things I'm hoping to work up.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
10/24/14 01:35 PM
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
10/24/14 11:55 AM
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
10/24/14 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
10/24/14 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
10/24/14 09:05 AM
Who's Online
149 registered (36251, A Guy, ajames, Alexander Borro, 37 invisible), 1655 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76641 Members
42 Forums
158471 Topics
2327258 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission