Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1013461 - 06/27/06 01:33 PM Re: Piano Magic website
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi guys, Bob and anyone else whos hasn't fallen asleep reading yet another pianomagic thread!! ;\)

I think Bob has just about covered most of it \:\) .

I just have to add there is something really rather magical and re-assuring about knowing where you are and where a songs going when you are playing it.

The only way I can think of to describe it...is it is like when you learn to drive a manual/stick shift car (I know this analogy may be lost on those of y'all over there ;\) ) at first it is difficult to work out when to clutch and change gears and check your mirror and keep your eye on the road etc etc.

But years later you can just drive without hardly any mental effort at all, its all just so natural...well that is really kinda like what my playing is getting to now..at times it is almost automatic, I play with almost carefree abandon most of the time...sometimes I even drift away when playing to another world.

Admittedly I still have lots to learn to be totally satisfied with the way I play...but, I'll get there.

Bob hasn't quite gotten there yet ( but he's doing better than I was after the same amount of time) as he has only been there less than a year, I've been there 2 and a half years and the good stuff for Bob is on the horizon.

hope that helps?

Lee \:\)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1013462 - 06/27/06 07:24 PM Re: Piano Magic website
DeepElem Offline

Loc: USA
I've only been doing PM for about a month. I thought I'd toss in an opinion from a newbie perspective.

1) You can play with a relatively full sound very quickly which makes learning and practicing more fun, and hence I'm more likely to play/practice more

2) I don't see how you develop right hand technique, especially with respect to altering melodies (runs, fills, etc). The right hand techniques I've seen described (beyond my current level) seem to be more about adding color tones giving the right hand melody a fuller richer sound. Definitely a good thing, but not everything I'd hope for. I think there are plenty of other places to pick up that kind of thing however. I suspect this could also be due to my early stage of learning in PM. I don't have the longer term knowledge that those like Seaside,Bob, and Balladeer have.

3) Early on, for the most part, you don't get to play songs you like (unless you happen to be a 6 year old). This is more than offset by #1 though. This falls into the realm of advice that the PM regulars repeat like a mantra - "Don't go to fast, pay attention to the early lessons, even though it seems simple in the beginning don't skip anything".

4) What you really head towards is creating your own arrangements of songs. I think that's a very cool aspect to this "play by ear" stuff.

5) It looks like once you master the basics the teacher (Mike) is very willing to go in whatever direction you'd like to go - a great thing. The course is by NO MEANS just the written material. That personal interaction with Mike I think really sets this off from most other courses.

Overall I'm very pleased with the course, very pleased with the people on the PM private forums (a great group to correspond with), and even more pleased with the teacher (Mike Anderson).

Even though I just started, I intend on playing for quite a while. I can't imagine PM is the only source of learning I'll ever seek, but it sure is a good place to start for anyone not interested in classical playing.
- Fresco's Law

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuner Recommendation
by DancerJ
09/22/14 03:58 PM
Opening a Kawai ES7
by ColoRodney
09/22/14 03:32 PM
Kawai MP11 black key noise?
by rungabic
09/22/14 11:35 AM
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
09/22/14 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
09/22/14 08:55 AM
Who's Online
136 registered (Arizona Sage, accordeur, ajames, Anne'sson, 39 invisible), 1697 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157692 Topics
2316253 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission