Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
73 registered (AZNpiano, bennevis, ando, 22 invisible), 1092 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1013618 - 02/08/07 07:22 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Ozor Mox Offline

Loc: Hampshire, England
Well, I have the first two and a half pages of the Schubert down, but I'm getting incredibly frustrated at the middle section of the third page where it scales up and down but completely differently to anywhere else and not following traditional scales in any way. I'm probably going to break from it for a bit but that doesn't mean I won't finish it by September as I may well come back to it. I think when a piece gets frustrating it's time to take a break from it though!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1013619 - 02/10/07 11:10 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

vanityx3, i am so sorry i didnt see your original post, i have added you to the list.

Ozor Mox, i think you are right. its ok. i am taking a break from the piece i picked too. but am actually looking forward to pick it up again in the next week:) you will know when its time again. it will call you in your sleep ;\)

#1013620 - 02/11/07 07:01 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Eeeff Offline

Gah!
Where was I all this time!

Can I join in on the Challenge?

But does this mean I have like 3 months less to learn it now?

#1013621 - 02/11/07 12:46 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Eeeff, of course everyone is welcome at anytime to join, i lost some time too, but am kicking myself in the behind this week, so pick a piece you can complete in 6 months and let me know what it is so i can add ya to the list!!

#1013622 - 02/12/07 04:07 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Eeeff Offline

Wow, 6 months eh?
Thats a lot of time for me :p
Looks like I'll have to find a hard one.
Give me a few days and I'll get one.

#1013623 - 02/12/07 04:21 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Oh my Gosh...I've forgotten that I even posted here. Where was my brain when I did, and where has my memory been ever since.

The 48.1 is (without a doubt) THE most difficult of Chopin's nocturnes. I must have had one too many Bloody Mary's (actually one is one too many) when I imagined I could ever play it.

I'm going to have to pick a new challenge piece, if that's O.K.

I'm sorry...when is the deadline for this?

Kathleen

#1013624 - 02/12/07 04:24 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

kathleen,no worries. its a challenge to get you going not hold ya back!!! just let me know so i can fix the original post:)

ps if you having bloody marys makes you confident have a few more and play the piece:) i am sure after a few you will sound like a concert pianist \:D

#1013625 - 02/12/07 04:28 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok, not bumping my own post, but the last one was well a bad number, so i am just adding an extra number so i dont get freaked out....but bloody mary with the -- post, ah freaky!!!!

#1013626 - 02/13/07 03:30 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Sarah M Offline

Loc: California
Kathleen, it's ok, a lot of us changed pieces (myself included because I fell in love with a different piece and my first selection was pretty random anyway).

The "deadline" is September, so you have lots of time. Who knows, you might surprise yourself and find you can play 48/1 by then!

#1013627 - 02/13/07 03:31 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Sarah M Offline

Loc: California
My first double post. Do I win some sort of prize? P.S. the back button is evil!

#1013628 - 02/13/07 08:08 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Ozor Mox Offline

I'm hoping to at least be able to play the two major parts of my piece (I can do one of them), even if I cannot play the whole thing from start to finish. I will return to it...soon...

#1013629 - 02/28/07 03:10 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Just a little update on my progress:

Eh, I have severe commitment issues with learning piano pieces. Have decided to leave the Schubert for the time being.

Rather than constantly switching and having to change my piece, can I just nominate that I will have something ready on September 1st.

(Am looking at some Z.Preisner pieces, but as I say, it might change!).

#1013630 - 02/28/07 03:57 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
ckcornflake Offline

Loc: Albuquerque
Wow, it's cool that people have enough patience to dedicate all that time to one song. It took me 4 months to learn a Scott Joplin peice, and I was glad to get that done.

I've been currently working on a piece I started in December, and it looks like another month or two before I get it up to performance standards. I don't think it's quite long enough for it fit in this challenge, but maybe when I finish it, I'll try a real toughie.

Anyways, just wanted to wish everyone good luck.

#1013631 - 02/28/07 04:39 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
This may be a big mistake, but I will choose 'Andante Spianato' by Chopin.

Its got a bit of repitition, but I think it will take a while to learn regardless. [/b]
:D Good for you.

#1013632 - 02/28/07 04:45 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

euan, that is fine, as long as its a challenge, so for you i can list a mystery piece:)

as for my update, i put down my piece for a little over a month thinking ok i will get back to it with a fresh mind, oh my, i never should have put it down, now i have to relearn what i already did:( ah well, will get it done with many many prayers:)

hope everyone else is doing ok?

#1013633 - 02/28/07 05:25 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by funburger:
euan, that is fine, as long as its a challenge, so for you i can list a mystery piece:)
[/b]
Thanks. My piece will definately be a challenge to learn/play. There is a Polish composer who I love listening to, the only problem is that the pieces are quite tricky (i've been working on one of his for almost a year now!).

I am planning to learn 4 pieces over the next few months, and put the best one in.

#1013634 - 03/01/07 05:44 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
shimmer Offline

Loc: Australia
 Quote:
Originally posted by funburger:
hope everyone else is doing ok? [/b]
Mmmmm. I'm not sure what to do about mine. I think I may have got it to a level where I just don't have the technique to improve it anymore. Is that possible? I don't think it's going to provide me with enough of an ongoing challenge if that is the case. I play it everyday but it doesn't sound any better, and hasn't done for weeks. I'm not happy with it.

There are some other pieces that I do think will take months to learn so I'm going to work on those as well. I now have 3 pieces to have ready by September!

#1013635 - 03/01/07 06:25 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Eeeff Offline

I have finally chosen my piece. I'm going to be doing the Bach Prelude and Fugue in G Minor. \:D
This oughta be fun!

#1013636 - 05/04/07 02:56 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Time to revive this thread, guess I'm the first one to finish? \:\) I actually finished this towards end of March but forgot to post it here.

Here's my piece, Einaudi's In Un Altra Vita (In Another Life), I ended up learning the piece pretty much as written \:\) :

http://www.box.net/shared/8e6otmos8f

I owe a lot of people for this one, kawaigirl for inspiring me with her lovely music, euan for introducing us all to einaudi, all the listeners and their great feedback over in the einaudi thread, but this time I'd like to dedicate it to funburger for issuing this challenge and helping me to overcome my fear and to take on something a little over my head...I am a better pianist and person for it.

#1013637 - 05/05/07 01:07 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Par Offline

I'm choosing Maple Leaf Rag. I've already memorized the 1st page but I'm still scared of the rest. I've been working on it for months. I'm trying to finish it before August because I'm going to be moving and might be without a teacher for a while.

#1013638 - 05/05/07 01:28 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Par, I'm in So.Cal. as well. Go for it, I swear 80% of the difficulty in learning a new piece is getting over the fear, which in hindsight seem very silly...it's not as if this is combat \:\)

#1013639 - 05/06/07 05:21 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
jozart Offline

Loc: Michigan
I'm an intermediate level player.Is this something we tackle on our own or with a teacher. I see mostly classical scores here. Does it matter what I choose as long as it'a a project...for me everything is hard..hahaha...but I'd love to be a part of this...I have some pieces that have been tackled but could use the next 6 months to make them sound like the way they should.. or I could choose a difficult solo non-classical piece.Would that be permitted.Let me know if I'm in over my head because you guys sound pretty experienced. I've been taking lessons for two years.

#1013640 - 05/06/07 10:48 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by sid:
[QB] Time to revive this thread, guess I'm the first one to finish? \:\) I actually finished this towards end of March but forgot to post it here.

Here's my piece, Einaudi's In Un Altra Vita (In Another Life), I ended up learning the piece pretty much as written \:\) :

http://www.box.net/shared/8e6otmos8f

Wow...great job as usual Sid...great song too

#1013641 - 09/08/07 01:46 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hm hm....Just remembered this thread and it's already a bit past September 1st, but anyone else finished their challenge piece yet and can post? Alright, let's hear the excuses! \:D

#1013642 - 09/10/07 01:01 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I know it all, but my technique won't let me play it clean enough for me to be able to confidently post it.

#1013643 - 09/10/07 04:30 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
4000 Post Club Member

Holy Cow! I don't have an excuse, I just sort of forgot about this. I have been learning another Chopin piece since March, and I guess all my thoughts were on getting it perfected (ha!).

However, I have been taking it very slowly, measure by measure, every other day or so, but I'm no where near finished.

Can we extend the deadline...say until maybe next March?? I think perhaps others may have forgotten, or am I the only ditz?

Kathleen

#1013644 - 09/10/07 11:16 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have to confess that although I didn't forget about the challenge, things got in the way and so I don't really have anything to show for it. Sorry, funburger!

However I would also be willing to use March as a 'second-chance' date to learn something by.

#1013645 - 09/10/07 03:37 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hey guys no harm no foul. i tried to set aside time for my piece too, but this year i have had alot going on and quit my lessons for a this month to take care of some of those things. i wont list my excuses, but lets just say its been tough this year. i actually gave my challenge piece to my teacher, and challenged her to play it:) that way she can give me pointers on it. i told her i AM going to play it regardless. she said when i am done with book 3, she will go over it with me. i think extending the deadline is a very wise choice for all of us:) i wonder how many people have just chucked their pieces out of frustration?

i know sid finished his, and its beautiful, very inspiring music!!!

#1013646 - 09/10/07 09:10 PM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
4000 Post Club Member

Whew! Thanks funburger, but I am so sorry you gave us a reprieve due to your "tough year." I kinda know just what you mean.

That being said...I have been more than frustrated learning my piece but never, ever would chuck it out the window. It is my dream piece...and as we all know, dreams can come true.

I hope things are going better for you, funburger.

Regards,
Kathleen

#1013647 - 09/11/07 12:00 AM Re: I Challenge you, You challenge me!!!
Ozor Mox Offline

I am still working on my piece and I'm thinking of posting what I have so far up, but I'm not sure if I should finish it first and post it. I'm on about page 5 out of 9, though I think the last few pages are pretty similar to what I've already learnt quite thoroughly.

I was waiting for someone to bump this thread, I knew it wasn't going to be me! \:D

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160032 Topics
2350081 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission