2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Ken. Offline OP
OP Offline
K
When I started lessons a few months ago I was given 3 pieces to practice. I played a couple of them in a recital recently, but I continue to play these pieces once through every day or so, just so I don't forget them. It's pretty easy to fit it in whenever you've got a few seconds to spare. I guess this is the start of my repotiore.

It's kind of cool to be able to play a few bars when you're at a music store or a party, anywhere where there's a piano. So do you continue to keep your pieces in rotation after you've performed them?

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I used to try to keep everything memorized and ready to play. Then, finally, after a couple of years I had learned so many pieces that it was impossible to keep them all fresh. So now I have a different strategy: When I learn a piece, my goal is to get it in good enough shape to make a recording (which I compile on an annual CD I burn to give to family). Then, if I love the piece, I'll attempt to keep it memorized by playing it at least once a week. But if it's one I'm not as crazy about then I'll let it fall out of my repertoire. At any given time I probably have approximately 1 1/2 hours' worth of music memorized. I do like the idea of being able to sit down at a piano anywhere and rattle some music off. smile

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sick
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Well that's my problem, I move to other pieces and forget the old one. Last spring I learned Moonlight sonata and today I can't play it without sheet music.

One day I will probably stop learning new piece and build a repertoire.

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ken,

Great question. I usually keep a "top 10" list in my current repertoire of memorized tunes. This way, I have more tunes to play at a moments notice than anyone is willing to listen to so I am covered!.

If I learn a tune I like better than one that is in my top 10 list, something gets bumped to make room for my new piece.

I also have a list of pieces I like and can also play but need my *notes* to be able to make it through since I don't play them often.

I think it's a shame to "lose" a piece due to not playing it for a while. Unfortunately, I am very guilty of this myself. since I tend to improvise a piece so heavily, it becomes very difficult to duplicate what I've played before since I'm making most of it up on the fly.

That's okay however because many times when I re-learn a piece, it ends up becoming an entirely new and different version which always keeps things fresh and new.

K
Ken. Offline OP
OP Offline
K
1 1/2 hours, that's impressive smile . Another thing I was thinking was to have 12 pieces in rotation, each one in a different key, so you practise playing in different keys.

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm still new at this (about 1.5 yrs of lessons),
but I try to keep "my favorite 4 so far" (rep pieces) in good shape (play them once at least every other practice).

that's in addition to "the latest thangs".
another 2-4 songs I'm in the process of learning.

Sometimes one of the "latest things" replaces one of the "favorite 4 so far".
Sometimes (more often than not) it doesn't.

But that way I've got about 4 solid songs I can play and another 2-4 that I can SOMETIMEs make it through to the end on.

Oh, and also it's good to RECORD a song before you decide it won't go into your rep.
Trying to play it perfectly just isn't gonna happen sometimes, so I'll just play it 5 times and pick the best one keeping a midi file and a .WAV file of it.

Also, adding fingering notes to the sheet music is VERY valuable when it comes time to relearn a piece you've already done. Make a photocopy, and write on it while practicing, then store that. (Or add the fingering notation to your midi file or something.)

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you have too many pieces then maybe you can try to keep up with some of the more difficult sections. You could then practice the less difficult parts less often and have time for a larger set of memorized pieces.

Of course, this comes from someone who only knows two entire pieces at this point. smile

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I try to keep a repertoire of about ten pieces. Some of them are "fresh", i.e. recently learned and finished, some are older. These are good material when I want to finish a practice session by playing something for my enjoyment. Some are so well memorized that I could play them anytime, some show gaps now and then so I have to repeat and rework sections.
These ten are my favourites, so if I learn something I prefer, I find it will slowly replace one of the others.

"The creative process is nothing but a series of crises."
(Isaac B. Singer)

[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I try to keep a few of my favorites in good condition for the inevitable "oh, you MUST play something!" when someone is visiting, and also because I just take great joy in sitting down and playing them so that the music captures me, as opposed to the 'working' I need to do on pieces that are just coming along. I always have new(ish) ones that are in varying states of being learned or polished but I try to keep up a few real favorites, and among these I try to keep some variety. Personally I gravitate toward the big, lush pieces usually in minor keys, but I will try to also have something fluffier and smaller in my back pocket as well, for variey. I certainly could not keep up all the pieces I have performed, there aren't enough hours in the day or days in the week.

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm with Stephen on this one. I keep about 4 that I play every other day or every 3 days to keep them in repertoir. If I have something newer that I like more I drop one for the other.

On fridays which is the day after my class, I take out about 4 pieces that I learned well at one time and I play those as well. I call those my back up repertoir laugh

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
For me that's the problem with memorizing a piece rather than improving my reading ability. I learn mostly through muscle memory and imagery so if I let a work go for too long it can take me a very long while to get it back. If I was a better reader I could just plop the music down and go through it. It took me years to learn Chopin's fantasia Impromptu but after not playing it for three or four months I dread going back to it.

M
MVB Offline
M
I've learned several pieces in my short learning history of 7 months but memory is the problem. If I haven't played a piece for a while, I'll forget. This is frustrating. If I want to keep any piece fresh, then I need to practice frequently. Unfortunately, it's hard finding time to do this. I'm currently learning from a progressive studies book and it's still taking me some time to learn any given piece. I look forward to the day when the process of reading and playing music becomes more fluid.

MVB
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Chalk me up as another proponent of the rotating repertoire concept. I try to keep approx 20 pieces memorized, for roughly an hour of play. As new ones join the list, I reluctantly drop old ones. Only problem is I hate to see my little birdies leave the nest, so I'm presently at about 24 pieces and facing a Sophie's Choice (anyone remember that?) over which I should drop next.

I
I
I do play my recital pcs once a week. I also have copies of a couple favorites from Book 1 and 2 that I continue to play... and travel around with smile

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission