2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Please utilize this room for any discussion of the pieces in our second recital that is taking place in the Recital Room.

When providing opinion or critique of the performances, please try to limit yourself to a single post - either write notes and post at the end or create a post and edit it as you go along.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will.

Critical discussion should take place in the Recital #3 Critical Discussion Room

1. ShiroKuro – I like this song. I never heard of Ryuichi Sakamoto, but I liked what I heard. I didn’t hear any “major problems” you mentioned in this playing. I guess it is all gone smile Maybe you should post the Jan 2000 one, so we can compare and see how much you’ve improved on this particular song. Good work!!

2. Kawaigirl1 - Your note said it was Kawai GM10LE but it sounded more like it was a digital piano. Which one did you ended up using for the recording? It sounded absolutely fabulous. I don’t really listen to Dave Nevue, so I don’t know how this compares with his playing, but I really liked what I heard as well. You could have probably fooled me, if you gave me this recording and said Dave played it himself. I don’t think I heard a single mistake! Very smooth and mellow

3. Dannylux – Is this what Yamaha P140 sounds like when played really well? laugh I liked it. You executed very well on the last page. I couldn’t believe you played all that many noted that fast for only playing for 5 months after a long break. How many years did you play prior to the break?

4. Copper – Good work! Do you think you beat the version that is stored in your P250 (50 great piano pieces)? This is a tough nut to crack since so many people played this version, but you did well.

5. LuigiV – Good work! Do you think you beat the version that is stored in you CLP280 (50 great piano pieces)? wink I would agree that playing a bit slower would be better suited. Nonetheless very good work!! I wish I can play this.

6. Peter – I liked the reverb you added to the song. I think it brings out the piano more alive. Good work on this piece

7. Loveschopintoomuch – I like this piece. Has it really been 50 years since you played? I like the way the melodies rings out in this tune. It floats over the left hand movement. Good dynamic changes.

8. Mike White – I used to play Mazurkas on my guitar! Good to hear it. I think you played it well. It’s got that trademark Chopin “boomchuck” and you use it well to make the song flow and bounce.

9. Peyton Higgison – How did you record this? I can hear the pedal thump and the damper whooshing noise. The piano has a gorgeous sound with singing treble. Good playing.

10. Mahlzeit – Really less than a year self taught? I used to play this on my guitar. Beautiful song. Great timing sense.

11. Oghma – Yes, I used to play this on my guitar as well. I didn’t know you could play on a piano. I loved the way you played it and arranged it!! thumb

12. Monica - What was the abrupt stop in the middle of the song? wink I love the way your M&H Model A sounds. Gorgeous sound. Your piano playing sounds too good to come from a non-music professor. :-P Maybe you should change the department.

13. Laura D – I could feel the heat wave coming out of the notes wink It sounded good. I think I liked the first piece better than second one, music wise.

14. Hawk aka icekid767 – What are you complaining about your playing ability? smile I thought it was played perfectly!! It was really rocking with impeccable timing!!

15. gmm1 - 7 Months? Really? Great work!! Same song as Cooper’s but with different interpretation. It’s great to hear two different rendition of the same song.

16. johnny boy – That was the best piano playing I’ve ever heard from anyone!!! wink

17. stephenc – I never heard of Jim Brickman, but I really liked this song. I think this was my favorite “New Age” songs that were presented at the recital. Great piece, superb playing. Thank you.

18. dk21208 – Yes, it does have that Floyd Cramer country piano sound to it(that slipping notes that simulates the lap steel sound)!!! Great job.

19. LisztAddict – SO, this is what YC Pramberger sounds like? Great sound (Even though the recording wasn’t the best, I could tell the piano had good sound). I liked the way you played it with great feel.

20. Sandy Moore – Are you in Seattle? I think it was raining while you were playing. :-). All that compression/hiss noise was distracting, but once I got over the initial shock, I really liked the way you played the song, especially the second one. Great Job. BTW, Do you know where that noise came from? Your computer maybe?

21. Euan Morrison – Really only about 1 year on Piano? You have great touch on the keys!!

22. Bluemarine – I guess that “375 years with teacher” has finally paid off :-). Great playing. This probably was one of the most challenging songs in the recital.

23. Funburger – Holy smokes! 6 months!! That was great. I love that piece.

24. Psychopianoman – This was really great. I think I heard this song before somewhere. It was played really beautifully. You have very good touch on the keys to bring out soft and loud passages.

25. s54mo827 – Sharon, great work! Since I also do Piano Magic, I know what you are doing here, and you are really taking the song and having fun. It is much difficult for me to take the simple songs to make it sound good and fancy. I liked the version that Bob created for you from the MIDI file. They sounded nice.

26. Seaside_Lee – Well, what can I say, you are Seaside :-). I liked your version better than mine. I like your decoration styles. I loved it. Hopefully I can play like it in 2 years.

27. Balladeer – Well, I really liked this one. One of my favorite entries in this recital. Also, I know this song, so it was great to hear it being played so well. I loved that arpeggio/glissando run down around 50-55 second mark.

28. Opus45 – This was cool. Different styles of music than the rest of the entries. My first impression was, it sounds very “jewish”! and then I read the notes, and I was right :-) I don’t know what scales/chords makes this particular sounds, but I really liked it.

29. dfvanden – Great playing! I could even hear the page turns!! By the way this was “Sonatinas for young Pianists”, are you sure you qualify for that “young” portion considering you didn’t play for 25 years? ;-). I really likes the second movement (around 2 minute mark?) that speed up.

30. Kitty – Holy smokes, how long have you been playing? Surely you can’t be a “beginner”? It sounded wonderful, very professional and musical! Thanks.

31. jollyroger – Wow, this one was great one too. All your musical background must be making up for your only 2 years of playing. You sounded very musical and talented. I won’t have guessed that you were only playing for 2 years on Piano. BTW, I liked that Estonia sound.

32. Mr Super Hunky – I don’t know if this particular improvisation is based on some theme, or you made up from scratch, but WOW, I really liked it. One of my favorites. Really beautiful sound…

33. Mak – I don’t know this piece at all, but sounded a bit “Turkish” to me. It has that steady driving left hand movement. Great work!!

34. Bob Muir – Hi Bob. I wish I can play like that! 9 months at PianoMagic, huh? You played really well. Very expressive. I like the Giga Piano sound.

I think so far my favorites are
- Balladeer
- Mr Super Hunky
- Stephen C
- Kitty

I personal taste seems to like more of Romantic/New Age sounding pieces....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not yet listened to them all, but I like johnny's idea of 'saving a spot'!. Will edit this later...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I know Mr Hunky has a brand new M&H semi-concert grand piano and a pair of (cheap?) $400 mics. And he recorded his piece on a Roland. confused

I
I
I've just started listening to the recital.. The ones I listened to are very nice, I'm kinda happy that I didn't participate in this one (I had an exam). Mine would definetely look weird among these pieces anyway:).

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
And he recorded his piece on a Roland
Keep in mind LA, that there can be a significant learning curve with recording acoustic pianos well. He's working on it. thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
34- Mr. Muir - I surely did indeed enjoy your version of the Tennessee Waltz. Made me want to grab a partner and waltz around the room, in a big hoop skirt, all frilly and western-like... Thank you, Sir. laugh

33- Mary Alice (MAK) - Your piece was strong and interesting. It had a lot of power to it. I never heard it before. There were a lot of different moves that I could hear in the key pattern - not a particularly easy piece. Very nice, though. Good job.

32- Mr. Super-Hunky - I always like your music, Bernie - this song made me a bit sad - it was the choice of song, not your playing. You're playing was wonderful... (get a lap top)... laptop, not lapdance. *giggle* :p wink Bravo!

Special Note to S-H: I was just thinking that because of your mustard seed idea - the participants in this #3 Recital have all benefitted greated - in spirit and in performance. I still have more to hear as of this writing, but I can tell, overall improvement in many categories are the words to express this #3 Recital. Thanks again, B. thumb

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congrats everyone on your pieces...have heard a couple at work here (limited web access) and will be looking for the zip'ed version to download.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"Keep in mind LA, that there can be a significant learning curve with recording acoustic pianos well."

No truer words were ever spoken. And by the way, great job Bob! The amount of work you put in here is most admirable. I've just started listening to the pieces and it's wonderful to hear the fruition of everyone's hard work and dedication.

Best Regards,
Roger

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
31- Jollyroger - your playing was like fine wine...very deep... delightful tune, I found it to be... impressive piece of music...Your credentials, too, very admirable. smile

30- Kitty - MEWOW! Out of the gate - flying fingers... swirling...nice expression to your playing... sounds like a bit of your soul was poured into this piece... I liked it a lot. It took on a ethereal effect there for a while. Like lifted off into a cloud. smile

29- dfvanden (Darren) - This piece was fun to listen to because it had a lot of expression points - very lite and airy. It sounds like a complex piece - and you say it was... Bravo to rise to the challenge! And some nice finger work thrown in, too! The whole piece was nice finger work... good focus! Very nice job. laugh

28- Opus45 (Jeff) - I really liked your version of Havah Nagilah. You put a very creative twist onto some parts, which gave it a light and airy feel. It's a happy song, and you put a lot of energy into it. Very nice. smile

27- Balladeer - Tim Francis - Hey, buddy - where'd you learn to play like that? *wink* Just exquisite, Tim, exceptionally exquisite. From the first note... you totally held my attention... with your fancy dan moves... OMG, I said to myself at one point... swirly! Bravo in another key, too! laugh

26- Seaside_Lee - Isn't it funny how life is sometimes... you weren't even planning on this song... and here it is - for recital #3. A job well, done, my friend. Sincerely. You have such a nice touch, Lee... very gentle... like you make louve to the piano.. (ooo should I say that... hehehheheheehe... well you do).

25- s54mo827 (Sharon) - I'm actually having fun with the simplier tunes - considering I couldn't play 10 months ago to save my life - still - I may have to pump up the volume for the next recital - eh? Oh yeah - BABY! wink

Everyone - so far - great job! Mycroft - thank you again for all your hard work... and going the extra mile in some cases!

Still more to come.... stay tuned!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have downloaded everything except #4 (my recording) and #19 (LisztAddict's recording).

Savefile was very slow doing downloads, but these two didn't work at all.

In case others were having trouble, I tried to upload a new copy of mine but now savefile is out of space. I guess you get what you pay for.

So I created a box.net account - here is an alternate location for my recording:
http://www.box.net/public/s71zdvkm7o

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I think it's great that you all put your recordings here. I liked them all. I also didn't download any savefile stuff. They take too long to download. I did listen to the rest though..

Love that Floyd Cramer! Great job!

"Play from the heart, practice from the head"

"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Copper is working on getting the full collection accessible. Cross your fingers. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It looks like savefile.com is having some server trouble. They know about it and it may be a couple days before it is completely fixed.

So I tried box.net and found out that they have a 10MB per file limit. These .zip files are each about 20MB, so they don't fit.

So I found a site called www.mysharefile.com.

It works and the files fit so I used it.

When you first go to mysharefile you’ll have to wait for a ‘countdown’ clock. Then you can click on the “ Click Here to Download File ” link to download the file.

It takes a little time, but it seems to work. Let me know if you have trouble, if you do we can try something else.

Here are the links to the files:

http://www.savefile.com/files/93229
http://www.savefile.com/files/93261
http://www.savefile.com/files/93288

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Copper! Savefile was being a bear today, but I guess if they are having server troubles, that explains it... And I had no problem at all dl'ing them.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
they have a 10MB per file limit
Ah, that's probably why it didn't work for me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ok ladies and gentlemen here are some of my husbands and my thoughts, although we both hear songs in pictures, i didnt want to post everything we saw or where your playing takes us as that would take to long. i do want to say everyone has done a superb job!!! thank-you for sharing today!!!

1. shiro-as always beautiful superb playing. i always enjoy your recordings!!

2. kawaigirl- flows nice, smooth, good emotion, peaceful.

3. dannylux-my personal favorite, i really enjoyed your piece and your playing!!the flowing dancing melody i absolutly loved it!!!!

4. copper- your playing is always great and this is none the different. i enjoy your recordings!! thank-you for sharing this!!!

5. luigiv-couldnt get it to download, will have to go back up on this post and hear it.

6. peter- same as above

7. kathleen- well played, feels a bit sad. played very well!!!

8. mike white-couldnt open

9. peyton- you sure have your way with the piano, you really made it work for you, your touch, your control you really made this piano sing for you!!superb!!!stunning beautifully played!!!thank-you!!!!

10. mahlzeit- great job!!! cant wait to hear the rest!!

11. oghma-- very peacful, played very well. great job!!!

12. monica--do i really need to say anything here? your playing never ceases to amaze me!!!

13. laura d.- i loved them both, great job!!! you sounded great!!!

14. hawk- very impressive!!!i love maple leaf. i absolutly loved this and enjoyed every second of it!!! thank-you!!!

15. gmm1- great job!!! i loved both very much!!!thank-you!!!

16. johhnyboy--you have done a wonderful job!!!thank-you!!!

17. stephen c.-- i was expecting marilyn mansons song---and was surprised that it wasnt. although this wasnt marilyn manson, i have to say this was played very well!!!

18. dean- cool!! well played!!!

19. lisztaddict-couldnt download

20. sandy moore- the song was suspensful and i enjoyed it very much. but there was a high pitch squelch so i couldnt listen to it all(the squelch hurt my ears) but what i heard it sounded really really good!!!

21. euan--played very very well!!superb job!!!thank-you for sharing!!!

22. blue marine, wonderful job, superb, excellent!!!

23. funburger- gee i wish i could play like funburger----oh oh wait thats me:)

24. pyschopianoman-- are you david in disguise?? this was absolutly beautiful!!!stunning job!!!loved it!!!

25. sharon--WOW!!! you have really improved!!! this sounds like a childs lullaby!!!great job!!!

26. seaside lee- another great recording. need i say more???

27. balladeer- absolutly beautiful!!!

28. opus45-- you decided on this piece afterall:) great playing. sounded cool---did you have a bellydancer at your house for this??? anyhow you did a great great great job on this, thank-you!!!

29. dfvanden-- sweet!!!loved this. thank-you!!!

30. kitty- my husbands favorite piece. wonderful job. you got first place with him!!!awesome job!!!

31. jollyroger-- sounds good!!!betcha kathleen will love ya now:)

32. mrsuperhunky- very strong emotional feeling. sounds like a concert!!! great job!!!

33. bob muir- WOW!!! you played this by ear??? very very impressive!!! you did a wonderful job on this!!!thank-you!!!

last of all i would like to say thank-you to everyone for sharing, as these recitals keep getting better and better!!!this was such a delight to spend the morning listening to your music with my husband!!!! thank-you guys again for sharing, everyone did a fantastic job!!!!

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
24 – Psychopianoman – The Vigil – sweet – tune.. beautiful execution. Nice touch. Hypnotic tune…. Reminds me of raindrops cascading down the side of a mountain.

23 – funburger - exceptionally well played, Emily. Very consistent all the way through. I very much enjoyed this. I also very much enjoyed the video. It was an added bonus to watch your fingers move on the keyboard (nice piano, too, BTW - the color was reversed for some reason on the computer here... but I still liked watching your fingers - very delicate). I declare - the more of these things we do, the better we're gonna get - you agree? You didn't seem nervous… at all - even when you "turned the page" you just kept with the flow…. Consistent and very moving. laugh

22 - Bluemarine - Whoa….. very nice – polished up just fine as I hear it…. Nice piece of music and played very VERY well! Nice movement… nice flow…

21 - Euan Morrison – Nice kind of mood music… I don’t exactly know what kind of mood… reflective type of song…. Very strong – very dramatic. You play with a nice use of phrasing, Euan – whether it’s written in the music, I do not know – but you put a lot of feeling into your playing. Even a little bit dark…brooding… Nice.

20 - Sandy Moore - Hmmmm… a slight hiss…weird…the playing itself is very nice. Sandy… you did a nice job. The second song is very pretty… a very fine, dramatic piece, done very well.

19 - LisztAddict – couldn’t download…. Will try again….

18 - Dean (dk21208) – Oh yes, Sir… This rocks… very nice jazzy, country feel…. I like your touch on the keys… it rocks.... sassy, bluesy sound.

17 - stephenc – What a beautiful song – played in both keys (versions)… dreamy type of song…. Just floating on a cloud... but a substantial cloud, because your playing is full and rich… and you do justice to this song, which I’ve never heard before…. But suddenly like. Nice.

16 - John (johnny boy) – no way – 6 month with PMMO. This is magnificent! WOW! You pull a lot of rabbits out of the hat with this one – very impressive!

15 - gmm1 (Mike McNeil) – Hey – I know this song…. Very nice job. It sounds just fine… 7 months in piano, very impressive… my daughter just asked me who is that, you mom? I said no. She said, they’re good. So there you have it! You’re good. Keep practicing… so will I – it’s fun….and it’s lifeblood. - *wink* Good job!

14 - Hawk aka icekid767 - Maple Leaf Rag by Scott Joplin – WOW! Great stuff – and you played it SO well! Nice job, Mr. Hawk! Those jazzy rag sounds float my boat lately… loved your performance… - very professional sounding.

13 - Laura D. – Both pieces are very VERY pretty and delicate. I also liked your little story that went along with the recording.. whew – big job – and well done.

12 - Monica Kern – Very nice composition. Very full sounding…. You have a nice touch on the keys…. Very flowing…. there was a sudden break…. But that was the music… very dramatic touch… nice work.

11 - Oghma - Jon Balparda – Well, it sounded very nice for playing off and on for 7 years…. Very nice work. Dramatic.

10 - mahlzeit – This song sounds familiar in some parts… very nice.. you did a nice job. You’re in PM too, yes?

09 -Peyton Higgison – Very beautiful playing. Nice dramatic inflections, pauses in the music…. Breathing room. Very nice.

08 - Mike White, Yamaha G-3 & P-80 – Very up – not your usual stuff – right Mike? It was cool. At first I thought it was going to be jazzy classical (whatever that is)… very nice….. applause! Some different, hard hand movements.

07 - Kathleen (loveschopintoomuch) – This is a very dramatic piece, Kathleen. It sounded fine to my ears. Great job.

06 - Peter – Very nice. Even rhythm. Nice flow… with difficult hand movements.

05 - LuigiV – This song becomes you so well, Luigi! Dark, mysterious... I very much like how you played it. Lots of feeling… lots of emotion… heavy drama! Beautiful!

04 - Copper – Very pretty. Very proper tune. You played this very nicely.

03 - dannylux (Mel) – My, oh my – what a VERY nice tune. And you play it so well. Your fingers dancing on the keys… a pleasure. It sounds like you had a nice time.

02 - Kawaigirl1 – you do, indeed have a beautiful touch, Kawaigirl1. Very expressive. OMG – some of those notes are breathtakingly stupendous… I'm typing while listening to it's my immediate reactions… Nice melody – it's indeed beautiful. So full and lush.

01 -ShiroKuro – Most interesting…. Very delicate, yet at the same time commanding tune. I think you did a wonderful job with this tune.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What's great about this recital is that it introduces me to many beautiful pieces that I've never heard before. And all played very well. It's incredibly inspiring! smile

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Everyone played beautifully, and I loved listening to all the recital pieces.
But if I had to single one out as my very favorite, it would be Blue Marine's playing of the Presto movement of the Hayden Sonata #34 e mi. It was absolutely superb, and flawlessly played. Dynamics were wonderful, and the playing of this very difficult compostion was crisp and clean. Blue Marine gets a standing ovation from me.
I have played that Sonata, and know all the pitfalls and difficulties in it, and can really appreciate it when one plays it as well as Blue Marine. Gaby Tu

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yea!! I woke up this morning and the very first thing in my head was "online recital!!" (usually it's "coffee!!") Bob, thanks for putting all this together in an easy to read through thread, and Copper, did you do the 3-part zips? Very convenient!

Ok, here are my thoughts on the first group (2 through 12) I will add more as I listen.

02 KawaiGirl, wow! Very beautiful! This is one of my favorite Nevue pieces, and your rendition of it is wonderful! You are doing a fantastic job of keeping the different layers of this piece distinct, so that the melody stands out really clearly. Also, your recording is really nice, is that an acoustic or a digital piano you're using?

03 Mel, what can I say? I am always impressed by your playing in all of your recordings, and this one is no exception. Also, you seem to "raise the bar" for yourself with each recording, it sounds like your 5 months is really erasing that 15 year absence. Your playing in this piece has especially nice texture and dynamics, and this is a really fun piece to listen to. Wicked last page is right, but you really make that part dance!

04 Copper, great job! Doing Bach while self-taught is a brave undertaking, but you have done an excellent job!

05 Luigi, ahhhh. You're making me want to work on this again! I love this movement, and you have done a wonderful job with it. In your comment did you mean that you usually play it slower (or prefer to)? Either way, your playing here doesn't sound at all rushed, which makes it a joy to listen to.

06 Peter, what a pretty piece! Your playing is very nice, I hope you'll share the second movement with us soon, after this movement I really want to hear more!

07 Kathleen! I love this prelude, and you sound wonderful! I have the score for this but have never attemped it, you're making me want to! Is this the one that's called the Funeral Prelude? (I never really know.) Anyway, your playing is really nice, thank you for sharing it!

08 Mike, I am not very familiar with the Mazurkas, but I enjoyed this one! Thanks for sharing it!

09 Peyton, ahhh very nice! Is this one of the more difficult nocturnes? You make it sound so easy! Your rendition is really wonderful, it just sort of washes over the listener the way darkness washes over the sky in the evening...

10 Mahlzeit, a little less than a year, and self-taught? Wonderful! This is a beautiful piece, and you do a good job with it. I hope you'll keep working on the rest of it, you've left us all hanging wanting to hear more! smile

11 Jon, did you do the arrangement of this yourself? Wonderful!!! I have heard this played for classical guitar if I'm not remembering wrong, but your piano version makes it sound as though this were meant for piano. It's really lovely, and sort of pensive. What does Lagrima mean? Did you write the music out using some notation software, or did you "arrange" it in your head and play it that way?

12 Monica, very nice! As with your version of Overcome, you display a wonderful momentum in this piece, there's a forward motion to your playing that I just love. It's like I want to run along behind you the way a kid does when she sees the ice cream truck. From the beginning to the section about 30-40 seconds in, where the notes must double in each hand? Your playing steps up its intensity, but very naturally so that the listener is not startled and just feels as if we are riding on the same wave as the one you are making with your fingers. And then near the middle/end, you develop a sweetness that's almost painful, as if I can't tell if this is a love song or a story of heartbreak. Sorry, am I getting carried away here? One more comment, I read your "additional info" after listening to your recording. That aburpt stop is done really well, I knew in an instant that that was what you meant to play. Maybe that's the point where the sweetness turned to pain...BTW do you know what Nefeli means? Oh, and which collection is this score in? I think I need to get it!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Lisztaddict:

YES, I am really bummed! Unfortunately, between the two mic positions, trying to figure out how to use the mixer and a concert grand piano that is doing some funky things right now due to very high(and unusual) humidity, my "mono" digital recording actually sounds better!!

Yes, I even screwed that up too as I think I have a bad jack adaptor since it only records in "mono".

I am not happy about any of this, but I am almost ready to get my first tuning and regulation on the new M&H grand, I will "tinker" with the dual mic positions and get that figured out and also have someone "spoon feed me" on how to properly use a mixer.

This is all new to me but sooner or later I will get it!.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Copper, did you do the 3-part zips? Very convenient!
NO!

Bob made the .zip files. I just did an upload.

I really like the fact that he cleaned up the names and put in the Windows Media Player info. This makes it a lot easier to play these file.

Thanks Bob - nice work!
yippie

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Shiro Kuro: Interesting piece. I've never heard it before, so can't really address how you played it. It sounds pretty sollid to me, though.

Kawaigirl: VERY nice. I haven't heard this one before either, but I can tell you played it really well. A question, if you will; was this really recorded with your GM-10? If so, how did you process the recording? It sounds like a digital to me.

Mel, that does sound challenging to play. The name of the piece was unfamiliar, but I know I've heard it before. Excellent job.

Copper: Of course, I know this one. Pretty darn solid performance for 1.5 years of self teaching. Bravo!

LuigiV: Another very familiar piece. Very well done, sir. You guys with the Yamaha digitals have an advantage. Those things seem to sound the best in recordings. Nice overall tone, and to my ears they sound better than the other digitals (Roland, Casio, etc.) One of these days I'll spring for a digital so I can record. I haven't had much luck recording acoustics.

Peter: Another excellent recording. I enjoyed it. I think the added reverb takes something away from the piece, though. Of course, I didn't hear it before. laugh

Kathleen: Fabulous. Pretty good recording for a really old upright. I've never been able to record mine and make it sound even halfway decent. I really didn't notice any "hiccups."

Mike: That's a challenging piece, at least for me. You played it extremely well; almost flawlessly. Another great sounding Yamaha digital recording, too.

Peyton: Chopin, again? I'm getting bored with him. laugh Seriously, nice job. Your Young Chang (I'm guessing from the PG-185 designation) sounds great, too.

mahlzeit: Nice job, and it's not Chopin. laugh

Jon: I was not familiar with this piece. I like it. Nice arrangement, by the way. Excellent job. Are you sure that it's more off than on?

Monica: I wasn't familiar with this piece either. Wow, you nailed it. That Mason sounds fabulous as usual. Definitely the best sounding acoustic recording so far.

LauraD: Pretty impressive performances for some one who has been playing a year and a half. thumb

Hawk: You're right, not perfect, but pretty darned close. That's one challenging piece.

gmm1: 7 months? Wow. You are making fantastic progress.

johnny boy: Nice interpretation. I have always enjoyed this song. I have played it from sheet music with a few embellishments, but I like your version better.

stephenc: Another unfamiliar piece for me, but it seems as though you nailed it pretty solidly. thumb

Dean: This one brings back memories. I grew up listening to this kind of stuff. In my mind your version sounds just like the original even down to the honky-tonky sound of the instrument.

Liszt Addict: Another great job. Your Pramberger sounds pretty nice. Great job on the recording; nice clean sound.

Sandy: nice playing. I enjoyed it even though the first piece was a bit difficult to listen to due to the loud hissing in the recording. I think you played it quite well, though.

Euan: I am unfamiliar with this piece. I think you described it aptly, and your playing is fabulous. Another basically flawless recording from a Yamaha digital.

Bluemarine: Excellent performance. You blew me away. "Needs some more polish" my butt. Excellent dynamics. You da man (woman?)!

funburger: Great job. Your Howard sounds great. I've been trying without much success to work up a more complicated arrangement of this piece. You done good!

Psychopianoman: I don't know this one so I have nothing to compare it to. It sounds like you nailed it pretty good, though. Yes, I do realize that is poor grammar. I'm from Texas. We excel at poor grammar.

Sharon: Another unexpected combination of pieces. I'm a bit jealous of those who can play well by ear. I can play a little from lead sheets and improvise a bit when playing from sheet music, but I only wish I could truly "play by ear."

Seaside Lee: You stole johnny boy's recital piece! laugh You have a very nice interpretation of a song I've always enjoyed. When does the CD come out?

Tim: I love this song. Your interpretaion is nice and full. If you're into jazz vocalists, check out Ella Fitzgerald's recording of this song. It's the best I've ever heard. I think it's on the Fine and Mellow album which was one of her last few recordings.

Opus: Is anyone else picturing the little Penguin from the cartoon strip? Havah Nagila is a difficult piece to play at speed. I used to have a fairly simple arrangement I could rip through like a hurricane, but the more advance arrangments are murder. You played it nicely if a bit slower than I'm used to.

Darren: Not bad at all. thumb You made a pretty nice sounding recording on an acoustic as well. That's not an easy task.

Kitty: Very impressive. You're going to win some of those competitions.

jollyroger: Nice job. I must be getting tired; I can't think of anything else to add. So that's what an Estonia sounds like? Not bad.

Hunky: This is another piece I don't know, but you seem to have it nailed.

MAK: You are making some real progress. keep up the good work!

Bob: Nice version of another song I grew up with. You got that country & western style down pretty well.

Everyone: You are all winners here. Everyone exceeded his or her level of training whether self taught or formally educated. Most important, you all had a great time working on your pieces. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth playing. That's why they call it "playing."

--Dennis

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Bob - nice work!
You're welcome. For some reason, I wasn't able to edit the ID3 information in Peyton's recording. When I load it into Audition, the correct information is there, but when I load it in WMP, all the original information is there. Weird.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm sooooo disappointed. When I listen to my recording from my desktop it sounds fine but when I listen to it from the website I hear the terrible hiss..... Don't understand why it's so bad this time. Bob tried to make it better but I guess it still sucks.. I'll play around with it so please don't bother listening now. It's really hard to listen to.... frown

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sandy, I didn't do anything to the recording at the link you posted. I was able to reduce it somewhat in the recording in the zip file.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh - since it sounded ok through my Windows Media player from my desktop I thought you had done something else. In any case it sounds pretty bad. I'd suggest people skip those recordings. If I can get a better recording I'll put it on my website at a later date. Maybe you could edit your post of my recording to warn of the terrible hiss??

[Linked Image]
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Thank you Bob for orchestrating yet another online recital, and thank you Copper for all that you do to make these events even more fun (red dot awards, maps, fun facts, etc..) and of course, thank you Mr SuperHunky for the original concept, and for motivating everyone and challenging us to participate. Bravo guys! thumb thumb thumb

And well done to all of us who participated. thumb It's good to see some new faces in the crowd!

I will try to listen to the pieces in groups. (only enough time for first group this evening)

First Group:

1. ShiroKuro; Energy Flow: Absolutely Wonderful performance of a very thoughtful and introspective piano piece. Very interesting to know you only recently picked this back up after having forgotten it for so long. I listened to it a second time to see if I could challenge myself to find any mistakes you mentioned, and frankly I couldn’t. It sounds perfect to me.

2. Kawaigirl; Emerald Valley: Wow! (Has David Nevue written anything that did not sound incredibly beautiful?) Your performance of this lovely melodic music is inspiring. Your performance makes me want to play this. Mr. Nevue can thank you for making another sale because I’m definitely buying this sheet music.

3. Dannylux (Mel); Valse d'Amour: Mel, I swear I don’t think I’ve ever heard a more beautiful waltz. I hope you’ll forgive me for being insanely jealous, but I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY THAT!! You’ve got a knack for selecting music that sounds both beautiful and fun to play.

4. Copper; Minuet In G: You know, I also taught myself to play this long before I had my first piano lesson. I mean it when I say I didn’t play it as well as you did before I moved on. Very nicely done and very well controlled. Thanks for the memories!

5. LuigiV; Moonlight Sonata; Luigi…very, very well played. I really enjoyed listening to your performance of this beautiful piece. I can only play the notes of the Moonlight Sonata. When I play it, it’s painful to listen. When you play it, it’s lovely. Thanks for showing me how it should be played. While you’re at it, would you please tell me how you get such a nice sounding recording from your Yamaha CLP? I have a top of the line Yamaha, and my recordings sound like carp.

6. Peter; Sonatina in G: Some mighty fine and competent playing here Peter! That was fun to listen to, and I imagine it is also fun to play. It sure sounds like you’re having fun playing it.

7. Kathleen; Prelude, Op. 28 #4/Chopin; Kathleen, I was certain you were going to play the Raindrop Prelude! I still think it’s amazing you’re playing Chopin after only 2 years of lessons 50 years ago! Well done Kathleen.

8. Mike White; Mazurka: Mike I was really looking forward to your performance this time since your performance in the second recital inspired me to bump Chopin’s Waltz in A-Flat to the top of my list. I was thinking I was going to be inspired again. Instead, I have to tell you I’m throwing in the towel. I give up! I just don’t think I could tackle this one. Self taught and playing Chopin’s Mazurkas!?! What’s your secret?

9. Peyton Higgison; Nocturne: Peyton, this is an interesting Nocturne. I remember playing around with this one years ago…I recall certain measures with “23” and “17” written above a group of notes, and I always wondered if that meant to “just fit them in as best you can”. You play it well Peyton!

10. mahlzeit; Air from Suite No.3 in D-major: You already know I love this Suite! I have a particular CD with the Air Suite (Violins), and I love to play along with it as far as I can (I have only learned the first page & part of the second page). You have taught yourself much in a little less that a year mahlzeit!

11. Oghma - Jon Balparda; Lagrima: What a nice performance of this extremely melodic tune. Lovely to listen to. Very, nice Oghma!

12. Monica Kern; Nefeli; Good Lord Monica! You can really bring the emotion out of a piece of music! I was very surprised to read you’ve only been playing for 2 years!! (why did I think it was longer than that?). You are a true inspiration for every adult who is just starting out Monica, and you're also an inspiration to those of us who've been doing this a while.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ok, I have listened to all of them now, and let me just say that everyone has done a fantastic job! Wonderful! Here are more comments. If you're in 2-through 12, please look at my post on page one because I commented there for each of you.

13 Laura, I can see why you wanted to come back to these pieces, you've done a nice job with them, esp for playing during the heat wave!

14 Icekid, very nice! I love ragtime, and you have a nice pace here, I don't mean just the tempo but the flow of the piece seems to fit your fingers well. I've never really played any rag except for the Entertainer, but recently I've been really interested in trying some more, your recording is very inspiring!

15 gmm1, I see that your name is Mike, I'm sorry, for some reason I always thought you were female! Oops! Both your peices are very nice, but the Purcell one does sound like you yourself are enjoying it more, if you know what I mean. I enjoyed that one a lot. Also, please do try your hand at some ornaments for the Bach, it sounds like you're ready for them, and they add another dimension of fun to the music!

16 John, great! You play-by-ear people just floor me, this is wonderful. This is one of those songs my mum would hum or sing, and your playing sounds excatly the way I remember it! I think this is more than "recital quality!" So I'm glad you decided to share it here instead of keeping it a PM-secret. And I really like the way you end it!

17 stephenc, I'm not very familiar with Brickman, only just what I hear on this forum, but I can see why so many people play his music. Your playing is very nice, steady and easy just to get drawn into. You've only been playing two years? Fantastic!

18 Dean, very nice! The bass part... don't know how to type what part I mean... anyway you do that really well and it sounds really fun under your fingers! The whole piece has a nice sort of casual stroll feel to it. If it weren't called Last Dance, I would think it was about a quiet Sunday afternoon stroll in the park. Very nice!

19 LisztAddict, very nice! Your touch is really nice, the variation between the delicate parts and the more "forceful" parts is done very well!

20 Sandy, for some reason I'm hearing a lot of noise, but fortunately the music still comes through. It sounds as if your playing has really advanced, you seem to have great control over this music, both pieces. The timing and tempo is really nice, and the overflow of the music works really well! Great job!

21 Euan, another great offering from Einaudi, impressively played! This is a very slow, pensive piece, and I think if I attemped it, I wouldn't be able to play it without getting a speeding ticket. But you don't rush, and that lets the music tell its story. Your ability to make the music breathe is really evident in this recording!

22 Bluemarine, very commanding! I don't listen to much Haydn, but I really enjoyed this. I can't see where you need addition polish though, it's very nice!

23 Funburger, I love this Canon, and I really enjoyed your recording. Only 6 months? You are doing a fantastic job!

24 Psychopianoman, I love this piece and you have done a wonderful rendition of it. You play the beginning really well, I think that section is a lot harder than it sounds, because if the timing is off it just sounds like the pianist doesn't know what they're playing. But your playing doesn't have that problem, and the beginning is really really nice. Then when the music picks up, you do a really great job of adding that richness that the music demands. This is a long piece, which requires a lot of concentration, and about the 4 minute point (?) you were still focused and did the little "trickling down" part (that's what I call it!) really nicely! And then you move quite nicely into the main theme again, and end well. All in all, wonderful!!

25 Sharon, as with your last recital offering. sounds like you're having a lot of fun here! Really nice, and all by ear? Wow!

26 Lee, very nice! Your LH hand, the non-melody stuff, all works so well, and the melody sounds like it's just singing itself, it's so natural. The "frills" that you introduce starting after about the first minute are really nice too. I don't hear any timing problems, so you must have got that under control. Very nice!

27 Tim, very nice! Another "by ear" piece, and in the key of Db, wow! Very soothing and nice to listen to. I love your LH too.

28 Jeff, I am so glad you chose to submit this as your recital piece. I was dying to hear it, and I am not disappointed! You did a wonderful job! Oh, and I did have to turn up my volume, but not too much, so there was no problem with that. Great performance, thanks for including it. BTW did you get the music as a single sheet or out of a book?

29 Dfvanden, very nice! Your love of the music really comes through. It does sound difficult, but you do a great job of it. Bravo!

30 Kitty, I'm not familiar with this music, but it was very nice to listen to.

31 JollyRoger, I love this waltz, and your rendition of it is wonderful to listen to! Didn't you join in here just recently and quickly decide to make a recital submission? (sorry if I have you confused with someone else.) If so, then I'm really glad you did because I am really enjoying your Chopin! Very nice! Do you ever bring any jazz-sensibilities to Chopin?

32 Mr S-H, I don't know this song, but I enjoyed your playing a lot. Your improvising just blows me away, it's really fantastic. The recording is fine, but I'll be really excited to hear a new one on the acoustic. smile

33 Mak, Bartok- someone I know nothing about! But very interesting! Great job, keep up the good work!

34 Bob! Save the best for last! smile How many play-by-ear people are in this recital? You all just blow my mind, and Bob, your playing here is really nice! Very relaxed and natural, not at all forced or stilted as if you were thinking about what to play next. Great job, and wonderful way to end the recital!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thank you to everyone who has complimented me on my piece. smile

Jeff, if you can't hear any problems, then I won't point them out to you! smile But you might like to kow that I started back working on this piece after you and I did our sheetmusic exchange, because I thought it would be nice to have a recording of that piece so you could hear what kind of music I was sending you. I didn't think it would be ready in time for the online recital, but it just all came together really quickly, and here it is! So I have you to thank for that! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have listened to about half of the submissions, and I must say, I am impressed! Wonderful playing from everyone. I will have to leave individual comments and the rest of them for later, as I now have some personal stuff to deal with which may take a day or so. But I will listen to them all, and I am sure I will be very impressed with what you all have done. Simply the courage to record and submit is, in my estimation, worth much praise!

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:
... the terrible hiss..... Don't understand why it's so bad this time.
That was hiss? I thought that was background effect you made with a digital piano. That water sound effect didn't bother me much at all. Your playing was very good. It moved along very freely. thumb

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I can't wait to hear all the pieces. Unfortunately I'm here in Denver working the coin show 12 hours a day, with very limited internet time so I may not get to make individual comments until next week. frown

But I do want to say more broadly that this recital is a wonderful event, and I appreciate greatly everybody who submitted something AND everybody who took the time to listen to the submissions. The AB forum rocks!

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
What a great job by all – I will keep my comments short, but do not think I am not impressed by everyone’s performance – I am humbled by the talent on this forum and cannot believe my good luck to be accepted in the group by so many great players….

Shiro – I love your playing, so calm, peaceful, music just flows – I envy your skill..
Kawaigril1 – You guys are going to make me a Nevue fan before it’s over – very nice job (like Shiro, your playing “sounds” peaceful and calm – a skill I lack…
Mel – Wow, just wow…..did I say Wow?
Copper – I love how your version of this sounds so easy, not pressed like mine. (Don’t you just hate the run in measure 12? Sounds so good when I hit it, but so bad when I don’t – must have crashed here a million times….)
LuigiV – Sorry, could not get it to play for me….
Peter – Same – hope to get to hear it when the zip files come out
Kathleen – Very nice – I have held off trying anything by Chopin but boy, is this piece beautiful.
Mike White-I love this piece – very nice job –
Peytoln – Another Chopin well done – I gotta get beyond my block and try. This was very nice, dreamy. I like.
Mahizeit – Very soft, nice, easy on the ears. Under a year? Very impressive. I like your touch.
Jon – I play this on guitar (or at least I did at one time) – excellent job, comes to the piano very nice – excellent job on the arrangement and performance..
Monica – Very pretty. Not a piece I know, but one I might like to learn – I think I can handle the middle pause right now! Impressive.
Laura – Bach and Mozart – who could ask for more? Very enjoyable. Your playing is warm, and now we know why – you should play in the heat more often….
Hawk – Love ragtime but still beyond me – I envy your skill and hope to someday play this as well as you.
Johnny boy – Excellent – I could here Paul singing. Not recital quality????Your kidding, right? This was just excellent. (I’m running out of adjectives…)
Stevenc – I like the two versions – My ear is still learning and I welcome the chance to compare two well done versions. I like…
Dean – I must have this – my wife heard it playing and came in all excited that I learned her favorite song from high school….I would love a copy of your version.
Sandy – Very nice job on both pieces – too bad about the hiss – I see you are going to resumit and I for one want to hear them “clean”, but the playing part is excellent.
Euan – Excellent – it does sound good – Never heard it before, but now I’m interested…
Bluemarine – Another excellent job – bravo –
Funburger – Very very good – this is the last piece in book two – congrats….I can’t wait to get to it. I will save your version for when I need it. You look (and sound) comfortable at the keys.
Psycho – The Vigil was unknown to me before this forum, and now is one of my favorites, and your version is destined to be one of my favorites – I like
Sharon – You always do neat stuff and make a song I just hate (if I play Mary one more time….) seem new. I must admit I tried to match your version….It says a lot that you got me to play it again, although nowhere near as pretty as your version….Nice and made me smile.
Seaside Lee – I love your style. Very nice job. Again, Paul was singing away. It’s nice to have two versions … you guys amaze me – for me, if it ain’t written, it ain’t played…
Tim – Very nice – another play by ear…..I like your version.
Jeff – I do not agree this was not performance ready – I loved it, and I for one am glad you decided to submit it. Now, if I can just get the song out of my head.
Dfvanden – very nice job – I like this piece. To my ear, it was very nice indeed.
Kitty – Sorry, could not download…..waiting for the zip file…..
Roger – Very nice – I can’t believe you have not played for 15 years, and only 2 on the piano. You have a nice touch.
SH – Not your best???? I think you did excellent. Enjoyed the improv with a little envy.
Mary Alice – Never heard of this piece, can’t spell it, can’t pronounce it, and just love it. I really like…….VERY good job.
Bob – Ever have a favorite song that you grow beyond and forget? In a flash, I was 10 years old again, listening to my mom’s record player. I loved your version. I want your version.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
A comment or two on the recital process. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I have a habit of learning a piece just well enough to move on, and consequently I never really "own" anything. Ask me to play for you, and I really only have whatever I am working on at the moment. Having to get a piece up to "record-ready" is a real eye opener for me. I plan on recording every piece I learn going forward just to make sure I really know it and get over the "red light syndrome".

JohnnyBoy - thank you - I sometimes think I am going so slow with no progress. The right words at the right time......

Funburger - Thanks for the nice comments. I enjoy your playing and value your opinion.

SharonO - I consider it a great compliment that your daughter thought it was you playing. Or, should we be worried about your daughter's ear?
Thanks to you and please thank your daughter for me.

Dennis - We are hardest on ourselves sometimes, so it is nice to get feedback that acknowledges progress. When at the keys, it is not easy to notice improvement. Thanks

Shiro - Well, you nailed it. I feel the Purcell piece is "in hand" but the Bach is still in "tense up mode". I hope to play it as "easy" as Copper. And, yes, I am working on trills. You are very perceptive, even if you thought I was a girl.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have moved this post into the general conversation thread instead, I think I was wrongly thinking that those that wanted feedback had to be posted in the other thread...but, I fear I am out of my depth there as I don't know enough about classical music to give very much in the way of helpful criticisms...I am enjoying everyones music so much I'd rather tell you all here (if thats okay?)

Okay folks

Just listened to the first piece

Shiro: As I hear you play I get a vision of the innocent faces of those sweet children mesmerised with your playing and I feel the same. That was in a word "beautiful", what a start!

Kawaigirl: I am just in love in with you ha ...ahem, swiftly moving on...seriously though, I cannot critique it, its just awesome..I'll buy your first album for sure

Dannylux: I'll leave the criticisms to someone else because to my ears that was also astounding playing, what made you stay away from the piano for 15 years? when you can play like that!

Copper: This is a classical piece I instantly recognise someone else will have to tell you if you didn't pedal right or the dynamics were off because to me it sounded perfect (hmmmm...maybe I shouldn't be critiquing here?) well played

LuigiV: I have no idea how you could play it any more perfect than you did...bravo

Peter: very graceful playing

Kathleen: Your screen name loves chopin too much and I hear the love in your playing, again I don't know enough to say anything useful to you, it sounded lovely, just watch the recording level though with those "cheap mikes" as it starts to clip ever so slightly in the louder parts

Mike White: You are just too good as always, it sounds like you are loving your sight reading journey.

Peyton: I won't even try to critique your piece its way above my level...sounds pretty awesome to me.

mahlzeit: For less than a year and self taught? heck yeah you did it justice

Oghma: very relaxing and enjoyable to listen to...thanks

Monica: just incredibly beautiful, your playing just gets better with everything I hear from you...This is a piece I hadn't heard before so thanks for forewarning me about the abrupt stop...I liked it smile

Laura: well played in the heat

Icekid: WOW! very inspiring...the ragtime stuff always reminds me of one of my favourite films of all time "The Sting" and you took me right back to "Redford and Newman" with this...just incredible playing...LOVED IT!!!

gmm1: well played

johnny_boy: 6 months!!!! eek I like your version more than mine...sheesh!! I cannot believe how well you are doing...you are making my progress look rather slow, you newbies over there are obviously doing as you are told from the get-go (unlike ...ahem...some of us older heads) and I can hear you are learning from my/our mistakes and racing past everything we have achieved. It seems I may have to make way for the young guns!! smile

stephenc: I think you actually are Jim Brickman laugh as always your music gives me shivers

Dean: brilliant...oh yeah baby!!...more of this stuff in the piano bar please

LisztAddict: sounded pretty darn perfect to me, well played

Sandy Moore: yikes there is some hiss going on there but, don't be upset about it though, I can hear your playing no problems and it was well worth listening through the hiss...stunningly beautiful playing

Euan: I love your playing already and couldn't wait to hear this, you really capture everything I like about Einaudi, that is just so good

(I am feeling this recital is better than the last one so far and that is
really saying something it just keeps getting better and better)

Bluemarine: Ooh thats good, oh my!...phew! well played indeedy

Funburger: 6 months!! you have just so much natural talent its unbelievable!, you make that sound so easy and comfortable...BRAVO

Psychopianoman: Sheer genius, you sound more like David Nevue than David Nevue, you are so talented.

Sharon: You are definitely unique...there is just so much talent inside of you, a strange combination but, you make it work and it sounds fantastic, you've come such along way in such a short space of time...well played

Balladeer: You play so beautifully, this has a certain change of direction for you and I love what I hear (and played in Db "pianomagically" too, how kool)...One day when I grow up I'll play half as good as you!!

Opus45: Brilliant, just brilliant... what fun to listen to

Dfvanden: incredible playing again I even liked the sound of the page turns (how bizarre), this recital is unbelievable

Kitty: sounded pretty flawless to my ears, well played

jollyroger: wonderful playing, I am not a big classical fan but, I have to say if I ever am going to learn some? then, Chopin will be one of my first choices there is something about his music that touches me

Hunkster: It has your style written all over it, well played as usual...can't wait to hear you play on that new M&H though

Mak: what a lively piece, fun to listen to

Sir Bob Muir: Oh yes YES YES...9 months!! you've got it, I hear it, the freedom in your playing this is a huge leap since your last recital, I am thrilled for you. You've made my day

Thats it from me (I don't think I've missed any?)...I am going to listen to this for days to come.

ADULT BEGINNERS I salute you all

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

To Bob and Copper I have no idea of the hard work you guys put in to make this happen but, I just want you to know how much I appreciate your efforts.

Hunkster: Thanks for pushing us all to do it

****For all the kind posts regarding my music, thankyou ever so much, it means a lot****

(I am looking forward to some critique also)

regards

Lee smile

to be continued...

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Excellent job everyone, there certainly is many talented pianists around this forum!!

Part 1

Shirokuro - very nice, excellent dynamics and nice touch for the more delicate parts. You are introducing us all to some exquisite music!

KawaiGirl - you have some serious talent, your recordings are always so clear (well pedalled) and timing is spot on), very enjoyable..if you could capture some 'air' in your recording this would be studio like.

Dannylux - wow, sounds like heaps of fun to play, brilliant job, there is so much happening here and you handled it all masterfully!

Copper - a classic piece for a piano recital, you didn't put a foot (finger) wrong here, an excellent arrangement to...i assume it was your own playing by ear and all?

LuigiV - loved it, you captured all the tension and suspense that Beethoven surely intended, what a piece to have under your belt!

Peter - what a pretty piece, and very skilfully played, some tricky sections in there but you played through them all so gracefully!

Loveschopintoomuch - its easy to hear how much you love chopin, you played with heaps of emotion, very well interpreted too!

Mike White - just brilliant (as always), a perfect recital!

Peyton - awesome, amazing dynamics and touch..this one almost brings a tear to the eye - very beautiful, your playing was simply superb, and a great sounding recording - how'd you do that?

Mahlzeit - a very moving peice of music, such a delicate piece but very well controlled and tempered, great job!

Oghma - again, such a delicate piece and you controlled it so well, it was very soothing to listen to!

Monica - This piece is so full and rich, but wow, you really did bring out the melody superbly here, i'll bet it was hard with all that activity in the bass section. What an unexpected break too BTW! I almost jumped off my seat!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just want to add this was a very enjoyable recital... It surely must be floating around in my deep subconscience - because I dreamt about it in a way - music, the musical, the "big show"...charisma... Dreams are the stuff that we have no time to think about during the day (sometimes), but are swirling around in our minds... I love dreams... can't understand them, though - always need help with my dreams. laugh

Just want to thank you for all your nice comments, those who commented... you put my mind at ease.

B
B
Hello, All...

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Recital and a special thanks to S-H for the initial thought, and Mr. Muir, Copper - and anyone else who worked unselfishly to make this happen.

We have quite a preponderance of classical tunes here. Although I love listening to the classics I am far from qualified to offer any "accurate" critical assessments ... but I can and will tell you what my ear says...

ShiroKuro: What a nice touch from about :50 to 1:20. You employ very nice contrasts within this piece, and it is a joy to listen to.

Kawaigirl: I think you have captured the essence of the spirit of this piece. Quite enjoyable.

Dannylux: (Mel) This was "D-LUX!" Terrific control!

Copper: You showed a very good sense of phrasing here. You should be quite proud.

LuigiV: A classic performance of this piece. This one is all about expression - and you delivered.

Peter: You sounded very at ease in your playing. Nicely done.

Kathleen: When I first found that I was interested in the piano, this piece - along with a number of other Chopin pieces - really caught my ear .. and heart. Well done!

Mike White: Mike, it's clear that your presetation of the classics is at least as good as your interpretations of popular tunes. Exquisite.

Peyton: There aren't many things lovlier than a Chopin nocturne. Very well done!

Mahlzeit: Very smooth. We can all take a lesson from your unrushed delivery here.

Oghma: Thoughtfully played - thanks for the music.

Monica: I am quickly becoming an Einaudi (and Kern) fan. This performance was hypnotic and well presented.

.... to be continued....

Balladeer

13) Laura D: Beautiful intricate melodies - played very tastefully!

14) Icekid: You have got it 'goin' on' here kid! Thanks for the music.

15) Gmm1: Hi, Mike. A very nice touch. You executed so cleanly, I think you are ready for the next challenge.

16) Johnny: Very interesting work here. You have made great use of both short and long arps. Most significantly, you are coming up with some great spacing. Very nice.

17) Stephen: You have a great feel for the piano. It's easy for the listener to get into your flow.

18) dk21208: I first heard this piece at a restaurant about 4 years ago, and I thought it was stunning - yours is better!

19) LisztAdddict: Schubert must be very pleased. Very clean playing.

20) Sandy: You are turning me into a Gliere fan (not to mention a Sandy fan!) Your sound is very ethereal and pleasing to the ear. #1 was my favorite and both played clearly for me thru the Winamp player.

21) Euan: Just gorgeous spacing and phrasing. Excellent!

22) BlueMarine: Polish what? Just suberb!

23) Funburger: Nice even playing, Funburger. You found some good breathing spaces and really delivered!

24) Psychopianoman: This was a whopper! Many skills were demanded and you provided them all. Thanks.

25) Sharon: Very inventive, Sharon! You are learning to bend the melody and make tunes your own. Good use of many techiques - Bravo!!

Balladeer

... to be continued....

26) Lee, this is your most thoughtful presentation to date. Tastefully done. Listeners will be looking for the tip jar!

27) Balladeer - uh, oops.

28) Opus45, Hava Holey Moley! Nice dynamics and control. I enjoyed it!

29) Dfvanden, you have definitely captured the Beethoven signature. Thanks for the music.

30) Kitty, for my personal taste, this is one of the more beautiful melodies written. Your presentation was glorious!!

31) JollyRoger, you have resented this classic Copin faithfully. Gorgeous playing.

32) S-H, this one has your signature all over it - and I still like the Roland. I am listening thru Winamp and it sounds wonderful. Particularly good use of bass tones. Thanks.

33) IrishMak, you have motivated me to find some more Bartok. Well done.

34) Bob, this was smooth and clean from the getgo. As you progress, your playing is really growing. In this piece you have come thru with a wonderful calmness which makes listening a true pleasure!!

***** Thanks to all who have listened and/or commented. I also must say that some of the playing here is just stunning. Each person who participated is certainly making a clear statement that he or she is serious about producing some wonderful piano music. All of you should give yourselves a standing ovation! Thanks for letting me participate. *****

Without commenting each individual piece and player, I would like to thank you all for submitting and sharing your breathtaking skills, talent and efforts with everyone willing to listen. This place is just such an inspiration, but it wouldn't be without each and everyone of you, beginner or not so much or not at all beginner! My heartfelt thanks again for sharing, I am without words.

Patty

In love with life
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone for the kind words on my submission. I really look forward to having the time to go over all these recordings later, but for now just want to thank everyone for their efforts. I am always motivated and encouraged to hear others play.

.......to be continued.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Gosh! all these pieces sound so good! It's wonderful to listen to and know from experience how much time, effort and passion went into each piece! I'm delighted to be sharing my own music experience with this group!

I've only had time to listen fully to a dozen so far.....

01 Shiro - This piece sounds so professional to me and it's easy to tell that you enjoy playing it - I loved it!!

02 KawaiGirl - Another beautiful piece. I can see why everyone loves David Nevue! I'm only on the second piece and I'm thinking I'll burn a CD to add to my "mood" music. I'd bet no one would ever guess it's by a bunch of "amateurs!

03 DannyLux - Wow you have a lot of control over those fast passages. And we used to think Waltzes were slow!! I'm not familiar with this piece but it sounds excellent.

04 Copper - This was the first classical piece I played and I still love it! You played it very well!!

05 LuigV - Isn't this piece addictive!! You play it beautifully.

06 Peter - This sounds really good! Don't forget to post the second movement.

07 Kathleen - I have this on my "The Pianist" CD and play it often! You did a great job although a little slower in parts but it sounds great.

08 Mike White - This sounds difficult. I didn't hear many mistakes. I know what you mean by being sick of a piece! I've worked on some for as long as 6 months aaahhh...

09 - just realized that this one didn't download. have to go look for it....

10 mahlzeit - I've never heard this piece but really enjoyed it!

11 Oghma - I enjoyed this piece but did find it a little staticy... maybe it's the Roland?? Mine were too....

12 Monica - This is another composer I've heard people talk about but have never tried to play. I loved it! That abrupt pause is interesting!! It must be hard to get a 4 minute recording...I have difficulty with anything over 1.5

Well back to nursing my dog who just had surgery... she's 12 and moaning and looking for some TLC... More later..

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
just realized that this one didn't download
Folks, I highly recommend downloading the three zip files. While there are a few where the original (which is what the links point to) is a higher bit rate, the recordings in the zip files have been notated and normalized to enable you to create playlists of the entire recital!

The exception was Peyton's piece, #9, where I couldn't figure out how to fix the MP3 annotation. But I've figured out how to fix it and his recording with the corrected annotations can be found via the second link in his recital post.

Also, in the zip files, I've converted the midi files to MP3 audio.

Bob

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I am having so much fun with this.

I just finished listening to the second group:

13. Laura D.; Musette and Arietta: Brava Laura! These are sweet little pieces. Very delicate sounding, and played very expertly. My “Bam Bam touch” on the piano would make these pieces exceedingly difficult for me to play. My poor former piano teacher was always trying to get me to lighten up on the keyboard. You make it sound so easy (but I know it’s not).

14. Hawk aka icekid767; Maple Leaf: Hawk, you & Mel are both making me jealous! Outstanding! Just Outstanding!! I am definitely saving your performance…and one day…just maybe (like 10-15 years from now)…just maybe I’ll pull out my sheet music and give this a go. Well done Hawk!

15. gmm1 (Mike McNeil); Study in Am and Minuet in G: I liked the Study in Am, and I’m familiar with the Minuet. Your playing impresses me, it comes across as very confident and well controlled. With that much progress in only 7 months of playing, I would assume you either have a good piano teacher, or a tremendous amount of time on your hands, or you’re very highly motivated, or all of the above!

16. John (johnny boy); Till there was you; REAL NICE! I love that deep, full, rich sound…you’ve got some really nice touches in spots. Six months on Piano Magic (wow!)….you mean you really have only played the piano for six months & never before? That’s impressive!

17. stephenc; Sweet Dreams in D: There’s a nice sound! Some real smooth playing stephenc. You & Monica really have the touch for these wonderful pieces by Nevue, Brickman… I know you’re happy with this recording, it does sound nice.

18. Dean (dk21208); Last Date: Oh heck yes! This brings back so many memories. What a real and genuine pleasure it is to listen to your recording. After listening to the recording of you ripping through the Croatian Rhapsody, I knew you would bring something fun, interesting, and well done to this recital. You did.

19. LisztAddict; Moment Musical: When I was scrambling to find something to bring up to speed in time for this recital, I actually considered this piece. I decided against it because there wasn’t enough time for me to get it up to speed. If I had, you would have sounded even better by comparison! It was cool to follow along with the music while listening to your recording. I’m going to save your recording for when I get around to finishing this piece (it’s one of the pieces I have “paper clipped” for future study).

20. Sandy Moore; Le Soir and Waltz: Sandy, Le Soir is BEAUTIFUL…I’m sorry about the hissing in your recording, but I have to tell you honestly that didn’t stop me from listening to Le Soir a few times. What a compelling melody. Another one of my “must haves”. The base notes in this are hypnotic! Please, if you ever re-record this, I would LOVE to have it so I can replace the one with the hissing. Very, very well done.

21. Euan Morrison; Limbo: Bravo Euan. Yes, I’m enthusiastically applauding a collection of musical phrases. You know, I think it could qualify as a “piece”. Add a few trills & other ornamental embellishments here & there, speed it up a tad & you have George Winston (lol). Seriously, it is very lovely. Quiet, peaceful, calming, nice…

22. Bluemarine; Sonata No34 in E minor: WOW! Spectacular performance Bluemarine. This piece has such an impressive sound. Please tell me you’ve been working on it for the last 2 years.

23. Funburger; Canon: How cool it was to watch your performance! (it came through on my monitor as photographic negative? But still cool). Funburger, I have this exact same version, so I was especially interested in watching and hearing you play this. I never really was satisfied with my own progress with this piece (years ago), but your playing is solid. I am blown away that someone can play this in only 6 months on the piano!! Very well done Funburger!

24. Psychopianoman; The Vigil: So THIS is the famous “Vigil” Monica, you, Shiro & everyone was talking about. So very Beautiful. When someone’s playing makes me close my eyes to better listen, then I know I’m really enjoying and loving the music. I just can’t say enough about how beautiful your playing is psychopianoman….just beautiful! Thank you!

25. Sharon; Mary Sunshine: Brava Sharon! You slay me! I hope it would make you smile to know you made me smile (and sing along). Stand up and take a bow Sharon! (..remembering the surprising mix-medley of Happy Birthday & Amazing Grace in the last recital, ..and thinking, what in the world will she think of for the next recital??….keep us guessing Sharon) Well Done!

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Hey, thanks everyone for the nice comments smile
To answer to Shirokuro: "Lagrima" means teardrop in spanish. And about the arrangement, I just used the original guitar score and sort of arranged it in my head and wrote all over the original score; didnt make it as a separate work.

sandy: Could you define "staticy" please? Im not a natural english speaker and this word kinda escapes my limited knowledge of the language smile

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
"static" is a crackling-like noise, similar to crumpling up a piece of paper.

I don't hear any noise on your recording, so it may be Sandy's Internet connection.

Sandy, did you download the file and then listen to it, or did you listen to it in your browser?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Bob and Oghma,

I've downloaded the files. Even with the volume turned way down the louder sections sound static....It's still a beautiful piece though smile Gee Bob I wish you could hear it through my PC, you might be able to help me with my own....

This probably isn't the right thread but could you have a listen to this link and let me know if it sounds better? I adjusted the record volume of my software and played with the playback volume of my Roland...

ReRecorded Waltz
Thanks!

[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Sandy - hope you don't mind, but I took a listen.... the recording is excellent on my machine. BTW, very nice. Kinda "swoons" or flows in the middle, very nice job on the arpeggios. Although, I must admit, I was begining to like the hummer version......I like a lot....

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I listened to all the August performances and enjoyed it so much, I went back and listened to all the May performances (I hadn't previously) that were still available for download--about 3/4 of them. I truly enjoyed listening. I felt good for everyone who had the guts to participate and amazed at what some of you have accomplished. The online recitals are the coolest thing that's evolved out of this forum by far. Everyone who has participated in any capacity should be proud of that accomplishment and as proud of that Red Dot as anything else.

I found myself listening to some of the performances several times, because they were *that* good. They should be an inspiration to us all. (They made me feel a little motivated. I went in and put in a good practice late last night after listening. I might want a coveted Red Dot. whome )

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sandy, the sound quality of that recording was much better. If you can increase the volume some more though, it would be even better.

Everyone who has participated in any capacity should be proud of that accomplishment
Thanks Chicky! I hope you can join us for our holiday recital in November! thumb

Bob

I have nothing but good things to say about everyone's efforts. I wasn't able to listen to the savefile recordings for some reason, but I thoroughly enjoyed all of the performances that I heard and some inspired me to try out new music and to start preparing sooner for the next recital.

I'm sorry that I don't have an itemized critique, but I have too much on my plate as it is. I thank everyone who took the time to listen to my piece and give me a critique. I have never been at an actual recital, but I assume this is the next best thing. I've sort of overcome the fear of recording myself and I've begun paying more attention to how each note should be executed. In other words, whoever came up with the idea of the online recital has helped me immensely. Great job everyone!

I always wanted to pretend that I was an architect.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
YES, I am really bummed! Unfortunately, between the two mic positions, trying to figure out how to use the mixer and a concert grand piano that is doing some funky things right now due to very high(and unusual) humidity, my "mono" digital recording actually sounds better!!
That's very unusual to hear you have high humidity in Arizona. You might want to post a question about mic positions in the main forum. I really want to hear your M&H laugh

Your playing of "Ready to take chance again" is very pleasant to listen to.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
To the comments on my YC-Pramberger piano - it has Renner hammers which I do believe require voicing once in a while, and I haven't got any voicing done in more than 2.5 years. Since about 6 months ago, I've been pounding on it pretty hard with octave chromatic scale from the lowest C to the highest C. Right now, the piano is much brighter than it was and a tad too bright to my liking. I will have to get a tech to voice it down at some point, soon I hope.

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
My comment are on the other site...the critical review.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Part two....

13 LauraD - You have great control with this piece. It sounded smooth and even. I really enjoyed it!

14 - Hawk - Wow. I've attempted this piece a few times but it's too hard for me. You played it well. Slightly faster in places than the recording I have but kudos! I think it will be quite a while longer before I attempt this one.

15 gmm1 - Only 7 months! this sounds really good. When I learned this piece I didn't put in the trills either and still haven't.....I like it just as well without.

16 John - See this is why I sometimes wonder why I"m trying to play by sheet music and not by ear!! I loved it and am still awed by anyone's ability to do this.

17 stephenc - This piece is so relaxing to listen to. I have a book with some of his music but have never tried to play.. Your recording is inspiring me!

18 Dean - This was a wonderful piece and you are right - a nice addition to the recital. I found myself swaying to the music!! Thanks! Awesome!

19 LiztAddict - This piece sounds quite difficult. You played it wonderfully I have this music and was able to read along.

21 Euan Morrison - There's so much varitey in this piece it must have been tricky to learn - you make it sound easy! I'm not familiar with Einaudi's music but I liked this piece.

22 Bluemarine - Wow! You've done an amazing job on this piece. I'd like to try a Haydn piece but I don't think it will be this one yet. It sounds pretty difficult!

23 funburger - It was neat to be able to watch you play! It was like a negative but I thoroughly enjoyed your playing!!

24 Psychopianoman - Another David Nevue piece. I loved it. Do you find the additional play by ear year helping any classical music you play and vice versa? This sounds really professional!

This is so much fun!!!

[Linked Image]

14 - Hawk - Wow. I've attempted this piece a few times but it's too hard for me. You played it well. Slightly faster in places than the recording I have but kudos! I think it will be quite a while longer before I attempt this one.
This is so much fun!!! [/QB]
Thanks for the compliment and you are absolutely correct. It should be played more slowly and I normally do. I had done so many bad takes that I started to play it faster to get more takes in.

Darn, I was hoping nobody would notice. frown

I always wanted to pretend that I was an architect.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
First, I just want to say a big <font color=red> Congratulations!</font> to everyone! What fun to listen to everyone's pieces. I think just getting the recording done is a major accomplishment for all of us!

I have listened to everyone several times and I really have enjoyed all of you. Such a great variety of pieces and styles. And so many wonderful pianists! And you call yourselves "beginners!" laugh Maybe we need an "Uber-beginners" forum for those like me.... smile

Again, wonderful job, everyone!

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
First of all, thank you to all of you for another successful recital. I loved every minute of it. Let’s do it again in 3 months.

OK, in order to put this in perspective we need some statistics and a map.

Here are some statistics for Recital #3

Number of Players: 34
Males: 12
Female: 9
Gender Unknown: 13 (I don't want to guess)
Oldest: 60
Youngest: 20
Average Age: 42.1 (I'm above average!)
Unknown ages: 14
Total experience: 121.5 years
Average experience: 3.68 years
Number of Digital instruments: 22
Number of Acoustical instruments: 12
Most popular digital brand: Yamaha (11)
Most popular acoustical brand: Yamaha (2)
Most mysterious: kitty and Peter - I couldn't find anything
Shortest: 1 minute 31 seconds
Longest: 7 minutes 25 seconds
Total Length: 1 hour 56 minutes 26 seconds
Average Length: 3 minutes 25 seconds

Here is a map that shows the hometowns of the players. There are 2 “unknowns” – I put them in Hawaii, I hope they are happy.

We added 2 new continents for this recital – South America and Asia! Wow!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wasn't able participate this time around, however, once again it was a great success.

To each and everyone of you that submitted a recording, this is for you:

[Linked Image]

I enjoyed listening to all of them...thanks for sharing your hard work and great music!

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Copper - those stats are impressive. Ultra cool. thumb I like the map!

Rocko - next time you'll do it... okay? laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree with Sharon - nice map and statistics!

I didn't realise that I was the 'Most Northerly Recitalist'! smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:

24 Psychopianoman - Another David Nevue piece. I loved it. Do you find the additional play by ear year helping any classical music you play and vice versa? This sounds really professional!

This is so much fun!!!
I think it has helped me. I have a hard time with rhythm and dynamics so I listen to the music to know what to do.

It also helps because I see everything in patterns and chords. I see the entire piece of music like an on going chord progression. I really can not sight read, only at a beginner level with easy arrangements.

If the song moves me emotionally then I can learn it because it allows me to disconnect from the notes and feel out what comes next.

This song caused me some problems though. I had the whole song done and did my first recording around three weeks befor the recital and then compared it to the original and found that I played whole sections wrong. It did not sound bad at all, it just was not what Nevue had written. I put the sheet music down quickly because I find it frustrating most of the time.

I also did this to another one of his songs: Variations. I still have the recording with it played wrong in the July piano bar. No one has ever said anything. I play it in time so I guess no one noticed.

I really do not play much pure classical but I think the music I play is much different than classical as far as the way it is constructed.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
This worked out well for me this time. I just happened to have the time to listen to one group each night. I really enjoyed listening to the third group. Here's a few comments...

26. Seaside_Lee; Till there was you: Such sweet sounds, and what a touch! I don’t know the words, but I couldn’t resist humming along. How could anyone not be drawn into listening to this? I don’t know very much about playing by ear, or all the different methods mentioned in the ABF, but I’m a little curious. How long does it generally take to get a song up to this level from the time you decide you want to play it? Also, once you learn it, are you able to play it without any notes/sheets/etc..? In other words, are you now able to go anywhere and play this anytime? (really enjoyed this one Seaside)

27. Tim Francis (Balladeer); I’m in the mood for love: Balladeer, you selected the perfect name for yourself here! In addition to being impressed with your playing, I’m also impressed with the quality of sound in your recording. Both superb!

28. Opus45 (Me): Havah Nagilah: Oy Vey! Balladeer (or anyone else), if you read this, please tell me how I can get my recordings to sound as well as Balladeers. I’m recording this from a Yamaha Digital Grand (cost me an arm & leg)…it sounds nice enough in the room, but my recordings sound so hollow, thin, tinny….very, very disappointing!

29. dfvanden (Darren Vandenberg); Sonatinas; First off, I LOVE the sound of that piano. It sounds to me as if you’ve got a good grasp of these Sonatinas. I’ve not heard them before, and to me they sound extremely difficult to play. If you get tired of them, you might consider doing what ShiroKuro did & leave them alone for a year or so and re-visit them down the road. In any event, your performance was certainly recital-worthy and quite well done.

30. Kitty; Arabesque: WOW. Kitty, you’re obviously an accomplished pianist. I am in awe of your talent. Thanks for sharing it with us.

31. jollyroger: Waltz: You just got to have Chopin if you’re going to have a recital in this forum (right loveschopintoomuch?). Roger, I will probably never tire of listening to anyone play any Chopin. Thanks for performing this one, the rich tones of your piano are obvious (even with my computer speakers). Your playing is wonderful!

32. Mr Super-Hunky; Ready to take a chance again: Very, very cool. Super-H, you have a style of playing. I don’t. It almost gives me chills to think of how this would sound right there in the room on your Mighty Mason. This song also takes me back…and it’s nice to hear some songs in these recitals from back in “the day”. (Did I hear some Billy Joel thrown in at the end of your recording?)

33. IrishMak; No. 6 from Gyermekeknek: IrishMak, I’ve never been a Bartok fan, but that piano sound is cool (1889 Mason and Hamlin Upright…Wow!). I can’t say that I’ve heard this before so I wouldn’t have know you’re playing it slower than indicated, but from a technical point of view, it sounds to me as though you’ve got it well under control.

34. Bob Muir: Tennessee Waltz: You know, I think I could almost play by eye, while listening to you play by ear. What I mean is, I could almost visualize you on the keyboard, chords, base notes, on the left hand & strumming the melody with combining octaves & chords on the right hand. Very cool.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ok here are some of my comments. Keep in mind I would of loved to get deeper into each of your pieces and comment appropriately but I think you all know that would be difficult with all the entries. However; everyone did an excellent job and my comments are only a small portion of what I would like to say.

#1 ShiroKuro
Steady playing and well executed. Good job. Nice sound coming from the piano and nice recording.

#2 Kawaigirl1
This sounds like a piece not too difficult to play. However when there are less notes, it takes good timing and control to make it sound good and you achieved that. Nicely done.

#3 dannylux (Mel)
Nice sway like a Waltz should be. You have the piece under control. Good one with a fast execution at the end.

#4 Copper
Good job Copper. Well played.

#5 LuigiV
Nice piece LuigiV. You played it evenly and let the notes come out where required. Good job. Who wrote this piece again ? smile

#6 Peter
Peter…don’t quit your day job. You should of done better than that…Next recital I want to see some improvement.

#7 Kathleen (loveschopintoomuch)
Nicely done. I like listening to Chopin’s music.

#8 Mike White
Well executed. I liked it. You have those trills under control. Don’t drop it though…let it become a natural piece for you to play…The ultimate goal , but I do understand your point.

#9 Peyton Higgison
Ok you played one of my favorite Chopin pieces so I will be gentle with you….
Nicely done, afterall its Chopin and you played it. And you recorded a very long piece as well, so Bravo ! The emotion was there.

#10 mahlzeit
Good job. Even tempo and well executed.

#11 Oghma - Jon Balparda
Ah a piece I learnt and played for my RCM exam on classical guitar.
Nicely done for the piano. Good timing and you played it well.

#12 Monica Kern
Nice piece well played. I felt the potential for emotions in this song and you let them come out. Let this piece become one of those pieces you will eventually play naturally, so don’t let it go..and watch out….even more emotions…even a tear maybe smile

#13 Laura D.
Good job. Well played and even.

#14 Hawk aka icekid767
Nice fingering in the piece. Looks like a piece that would be fun to watch someone play.
Good one.

#15 gmm1 (Mike McNeil)
Sounded good. Even tempo and under control.

#16 John (johnny boy)
Nice strong sound coming from the piano. Nicely played and even. I liked those trickling notes in the middle(1:10 & 2:20 minute mark around).

#17 stephenc
Nice song. You made it sound good. Well executed.

#18 Dean (dk21208)
Nice even playing. Good job.

#19 LisztAddict
One of my favorite composers. Nice playing and well executed. You used dynamics in good fashion.

#20 Sandy Moore
Nicely done. In control and even tempo.

#21 Euan Morrison
Sounds like an easy piece to play. It was nice and you played it well for the amount of time you’ve been playing. You kept in control and gave it feeling. Good job.

#22 Bluemarine
Clear sound and nice playing. Got the notes well under those fingers. I liked it. In control as well throughout. Excellent.

#23 funburger
Nice job. A song everyone still likes to hear every now and then.

#24 Psychopianoman
Some comments are easier to give when a piece is wonderful to listen to. This is one of them. You played it nicely and in control. The music flowed and you played it naturally. I assume your fingers are just doing the movements at this point and you don’t need to concentrate on every note. Correct me if I’m wrong. Great job.

#25 s54mo827 (Sharon)
Ok wait a minute…..I’ll go get my two year old to listen with me… smile Ok lets go for it….
Good one.

#26 Seaside_Lee
Nice recording and it sounded good to me. Nice even tempo.

#27 Tim Francis (Balladeer)
Let me sit back with the cigar and scotch and just let myself drift away…..Ah wait I don’t smoke and I hate scotch…..Nice playing though. Have it under control and gave it feeling.

#28 Opus45 (Jeff)
Nicely done. Good job.

#29 dfvanden (Darren Vandenberg)
You did a fine job on the piece for the amount of time you’ve played it. You got the notes down and you know what you got to do so that’s good. Beethoven isn’t easy anyways. I liked it. Good job.

#30 Kitty
Ok Kitty you began a little too fast at the start and the interpretation was lacking some feeling……NOT !!!! Wow…ok so we know your not a beginner.. smile But it was very nice to hear such superb playing…oh ya did I say Wow. Nice recording as well.

#31 jollyroger (Roger Adelmann)
Nice job. Even tempo. You gave it some feeling and played the notes well.

#32 Mr Super Hunky
Nicely played. You let the music achieve that sensation of reflection…Good job.

#33 Mary Alice Kropp (Mak)
Ah Bartok….Love him or hate him…what shall it be…Ok im in the middle. Don’t know this one but I’ll give it a listen later. You kept the tempo steady. Good job.

#34 Bob Muir
Nice playing. Even tempo, clear not rushed. Good job.

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Opus45:
33. IrishMak; No. 6 from Gyermekeknek: IrishMak, I’ve never been a Bartok fan, but that piano sound is cool (1889 Mason and Hamlin Upright…Wow!). I can’t say that I’ve heard this before so I wouldn’t have know you’re playing it slower than indicated, but from a technical point of view, it sounds to me as though you’ve got it well under control.
Thanks, Jeff! Bartok is really pushing it for me as far as classical composers go- get much later than him and few others and you lose me. But this piece just fascinated me when my teacher gave it to me a while ago. Just something about it I like. Oh and I DO love my piano!! wink

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is someone attempting to make the Recital III thread a sticky?

It's already fallen off the first page.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Mel,

Thanks for the reminder! I emailed the moderator with a request to make it a sticky, hopefully that will soon. smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I had my first chance to listen to all the pieces today, and I was
completely blown away by the talent on show. To the point where I started
to feel a bit embarrassed about my attempt.

Opus45, thankyou for saying lovely things about my piano. I am right at the
extreme limits of my ability with this piece, and perhaps putting it away
for a year might do some of it wonders.

Here were my notes whilst listening (at work) to a CD with the MP3's on it, without knowing who it was:

1. Hypnotic and satisfying. Loved it. Adult Intermediate next recital?
2. New Age - very clean sounding. Great Timing.
3. Chopin? Sounds really difficult. Bravo.
4. This piece nearly killed me when learning it. Congratulations - to play
it without a single mistake is really hard.
5. Moonlight Sonata - lovely and calm. Nice and slow - resisted the
temptation to speed it up.
6. Ethereal and mellow.
7. Some lovely bass notes.
8. Very bright sounding - some nice trills in there!
9. Sounds really difficult. Some subtle balenced left hand work.
10. Quiet slow piece. Dignified!
11. Very consistent and pleasantly slow.
12. Is this Einaudi? Awesome. Very confident and even. The silent bit was
very dramatic. Adult Intermediate recitals for you in future. Too good for
some of us beginners.
13. Some tricky fingerwork involved in these deceptively hard pieces.
14. Ragtime/Honky Took/ Bar-room stuff. Great effort as it sounds very
difficult - just loved the piece in particular.
15. Ah - the ol' Minuet in G and a little prelude piece. Good effort.
16. Professional sounding and should be put into my proposed new category
(AI) Adult Intermediate for Recital#4. Very elegant.
17. Another amazing piece. Why can't I play like this. AI candidate.
18. Piano sounds wonderful. Good sense of timing. Beautiful touch. AI for
sure.
19. Schubert? Nice volume variations. Love the song.
20. Very sound playing and musical touch. Nice volume variation also.
21. Einaudi - I'm going to guess this is Euan, and if it is - man you've
hit the big time. This is EXACTLY like my CD recording of this song. Go to
the AI club.
22. Great technical skills. Wonderful. Very professional. My style of piece
(oneday - sigh). Go to the AI club or higher (AA club?).
23. Nice and even - builds well.
24. Beautiful and crisp. Even.
25. Is this a fancy version of Mary had a little lamb? Quite nice.
26. Slow bar-room relaxed number played beautifully. Go to the AI club (too
good for AB!)
27. Very professional. Smooth - beautiful fingering that makes me envious.
Go to the AA (Adult Advanced club).
28. Sounds so tricky, I could never attempt it. Good job of it.
29. Happy enough (my piece) very upset about the collapsed right hand in
the final few seconds. Oh well. Very happy with the even middle section
before the return of the hard rondo bit.
30. Incredible. Go to AA club and cease all intimidation!
31. Another awesome piece. AI/AA recitals in future please! You people are
amazing.
32. Lovely. Such beautiful sounding pianos many of you have. AI club in
future.
33. Bartok is such an unpredictable fellow. Composers like this fascinate
me also.
34. Lovely sounding piano - quite crisp and relaxed.

If someone was to produce an Order of the Red Dot(s) avatar, I would proudly use it in place of my current one.

P
P
What a Recital! Thanks to all of you for bringing us your best recordings! The talent, the variety in the music and the efforts of those who volunteered again to put this recital on line, stats and all, are the best showcase for this fantastic forum and its members!

Your hard work, your problems and your breakthroughs as they are all laid bare, and above all your great achievements and dedication are a great inspiration for my daily efforts behind my own piano. They make for hours of listening to the most enjoyable piano music (Recitals 1, 2 and 3 amount to 5.3 hours of music!).

As a thank you I will pledge to contribute to the next recital (remind me of that in due time!), as I have none of the excuses I used so far available anymore, and because I also believe YOU ALL need to be reminded that this is the ABF recital, and there should be at least one contribution by a true beginner, AND you all deserve to be punished for hanging around here at the ABF instead of moving on to the Piano Forum!

I'm not the best person to comment on all your work individually, but if you really want some comments, I'd say all those who played too loud should play a little bit softer and all those who played too fast should play a little bit slower (and you know who you are, each of you!)! shocked )

Finally, a special thank you to the 9 who managed to participate in all 3 Recitals so far, listening to your muscial evolution is an even more special treat!

I'm on a roll!

Originally posted by dfvanden:
If someone was to produce an Order of the Red Dot(s) avatar, I would proudly use it in place of my current one.
I think you ought to be able to use copper's image and just reduce it to size. confused

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
pianoga
I'd say all those who played too loud should play a little bit softer and all those who played too fast should play a little bit slower (and you know who you are, each of you!)!
laugh laugh

This cracked me up. We'll remind you pianoga. Looking forward to your recital piece in November. Have you decided what you're going to use?

Jeff
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
I think you ought to be able to use copper's image
I think you can use any image.

If you see an image you like:
1. Right-click on it to get the 'properties'.
2. Copy the URL (http://...)
3. Go to edit your profile (see the top of this page - my profile)
4. Click "Select a different Avatar Image"
5. put the URL from step 2 into "Use Custom URL"
6. Click "Set URL"
7. Click "Update Profile"

For some reason I think it takes a little while for this to take effect.

You may get better advice from someone else who has actually played with this.

If not the medal, you may want something like this depending on how many recitals you have played:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is a smaller medal:
[Linked Image]

Testing the avatar change. Do I even need a new post? I'm guessing previous posts will be affected also. Please let me be the first to have the hip new dottage accompanying me!

LATER: Yes! Copper you need a special medal of your own.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
How cool.... Thanks Copper - can't wait to earn the double in November.....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All fun but aren't we deviating a little away from the actual discussion on the recital.

Sorry just woke up...im cranky... frown
Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
I would like to say congrats to everyone who shared a recording this round, and thank you for all the very nice comments. I wanted to write something specific for each individual piece, so it has taken me quite a few days to listen to each submission multiple times and then collect my thoughts well enough not to just write complete gibberish. To any of you that feels shortchanged by my commentary: I apologize. You probably played a classical selection and I don’t think about classical music much at all these days; as a result I found it challenging to get outside my comfort zone to be able to say much of value for those pieces. My lack of words should not be suggestive of a negative opinion of your submissions and efforts.

1 – ShiroKuro – Amazing piece of music. Of all your recordings I have listened to, this is hands down my favorite. Your familiarity with this piece makes a big difference in the sound. It is almost haunting to listen.

2 – Kawaigirl1 – I must confess that I have never actually listened to any of Nevue’s recordings, but I do enjoy everyone else’s recordings of his music. The tone and balance you created within this piece just keeps amazing me.

3 – Mel – Ok, so I think Monica needs to step in here with a psyche evaluation for you. You just love tongue twisters of the fingers, don’t you? First you tackled the ‘I’ section of the Croation while the rest of us were still scratching our heads, then you post up a Samba, and now this… So, yeah, great job, but let’s see if you can play this well in a straight jacket.

4 – Copper – It would never cross my mind to criticize the performance of the person likes to dig up all the dirt for the sake of statistics… You know where I live, what I look like, probably have a credit card in the name of every Piano World Member… Seriously, though, once I got past the bad childhood memories of playing this song over and over again I think this sounded great. I really enjoyed how well you balanced the left hand to fully hear the harmony yet let the melody ring out. Oh yeah… Please don’t buy anything with my identity.

5 – LuigiV – Ah yes, more childhood memories. This piece haunts me in my sleep, which is actually what I always like to picture that it did to Beethoven. It sounds so peaceful, yet so full of torment in every measure. You did a great job maintaining the musical mood throughout. I think players frequently get carried away with the sound of this piece and get progressively faster and faster in a race to the final chord. You fought back the urge and held it back to the end. Keep this piece under your fingers, it may be the stereotypical Beethoven Sonata, but that is because it is an amazing piece. It is timeless.

6 – Peter – This did sound familiar, but I don’t remember who played it last time. I didn’t go back to find it because I was not looking for a comparison. This was a very musical recording, and it really shows that you have enjoyed this piece.

7 – Kathleen – Is this piece supposed to make you want to sit down with a pint of ice cream and cry like a baby? Thanks a lot Chopin… Very nicely played. This is a perfect example to promote new membership into the cohorts. I run from classical these days, but this might be one to pick up and learn…

8 – Mike – As always, your post is amazing. I commend you for attaining your goals in one style of music and then moving on to other genres. At this rate you might have to start thinking about what you want to accomplish next.

9 – Peyton – I thought this was a recital for amateurs. I think there is a fox in the henhouse.

10 – mahlzeit – I had trouble turning the volume up enough to hear this well. Thanks for posting up what you have learned so far. I think you are doing a fine job with the piece. When you learn the rest you should post it up in the piano bar or repost for a future recital. Keep up the good work.

11 – Jon – I love the sound of classical guitar music. This translated well to a piano sheet. Well played. Next up: Malaguena?

12 – Monica – Please refer to evaluation 3… Between you and Euan, I am really coming around to this new age concept. However, I think you just wanted to find a genre that wouldn’t have too much accordion written in. You must have played a lot of Polkas in your childhood… This is a beautiful piece, and you play it beautifully. Thanks for the heads up on that moment of silence. I swear my heart momentarily quits beating when you get to that part. Einaudi is a mean, mean person for that.

13 – Laura – I am amazed that you could record without passing out in the heat. I break a sweat when I play in my house with the A/C set at 76… Nice playing, though. I do always enjoy going back to old pieces and trying to exploit as much touch and dynamics as I can from them.

14 – Hawk – You can’t go wrong with Scott Joplin. I am sure he has some other rags you will enjoy learning too. You have a good feel for the style, keep it up.

15 – Mike – Nice job with these two pieces. I am saying this a lot, but you have very nice balance between your two hands.

16 – John – I find it hard to believe that you have really only been playing for six months… Mike is really doing something right with all you guys. Nice job, nice voicings.

17 – stephenc – I like Brickman compositions, he creates a nice sound. I can appreciate that challenge of learning his music. He likes to sneak in some very cool/challenging rhythms. You played this well, and should get bonus points for transposing to another key.

18 – Me – Since I am a pianist, I tend not to toot my own horn. I just want to apologize for confusion. I think I accidentally described this as Last Dance within the mp3, which is incorrect. The actual title is Last Date. Really, if Floyd went dancing on that last date before he wrote this song it makes no real difference anyways.

19 – LisztAddict – You cheated in so many ways… First you didn’t tell us how long you have played. Of course, I can always ask Copper. Second, you threw a curveball playing Shubert when clearly you have indicated that you have an unhealthy craving for some other composer. Unless you have gone to counseling and are now Liszt free. In which case I apologize for bringing this up, and can only hope that I am not responsible for a future relapse. That was very well played. I am just going to have to assume that you have played for many, many years after that performance.

20 – Sandy – I am assuming you posted two songs so you could have double the compliments. Well, that’s ok too. I think both songs were played very nicely. If your teacher has a problem with those, maybe he/she is just a big meanie…

21 - Euan - I certainly felt in Limbo while listening to this piece. I always enjoy your song selections. You have found a genre that works for you, and you have a natural feel for this music.

22 - Bluemarine – This was very nicely played. At 3.75 years I think you are ahead of the average learning curve.

23 - funburger - You, IMO, have a lot of potential. You are progressing very quickly right now. I think you are showing a good foundation with your rhythm and your left/right hand balance in your tone.

24 – Psychopianoman – Wow, another great Nevue piece. I appear to be out of the loop having never tried to play his music. Very nice interpretation and touch. The way you play this piece really touches the soul.

25 – Sharon – You didn’t indicate that you wanted any feedback… but I enjoyed it. I goofed around with Pop Goes the Weasel a few months back. Those children’s tunes are addictive.

26 – Seaside Lee – I am assuming that your marriage and your business are going down the drain, because it sounds like you are practicing 24 hours a day. Seriously, does your child even remember what you look like?

27 – Tim – Welcome to Db! You had an excellent balance of rhythm techniques to give your song a strong sense of musicality, without diluting the main core of your theme. This song really worked with the voicings you selected. This was one of my favorites this time around.

28 – Jeff – I am glad you decided to stick with this song. I enjoyed your interpretation. I think you gave it a really cool sense of urgency that keeps redeveloping throughout. It somehow kept drawing me forward in anticipation of what was to come next.

29 – Darren – You were too hard on yourself in the description, I think you did a fine job. Next stop, Beethoven Sonatas!

30 – Kitty – Yep, another fox in the henhouse… Your playing is very inspiring. I look forward to your next submission.

31 – Roger – Nice selection, I don’t recall ever hearing this one before. It shows off some good technics. You did a very nice job. You don’t sound like you took a 15 year break to me.

32 – Mr Super Hunky – Your improvisation amazes me. You are a natural at your style of play. Between your own creative ideas and the many suggestions from these forums, you will be releasing even more amazing recordings in the very near future. I have yet to successfully attach myself to music in a way that lets my mind and body deviate from the score. Keep up the good work.

33 – Mak – I think you are doing a nice job with this. I can sense that it has a really cool sound at the faster pace that you described.

34 – Bob – I have always really enjoyed this song. I agree you have it in a very good place right now. I can never quite put my finger on it, but your voicing always seems more mature than the other play-by-ear regulars. So, even though you may be less advanced and usually create less complex tones, I still get a strong sense of musical satisfaction from your posts. (Told you I couldn’t quite explain this one right)

For any of you that actually read this in entirety… I laugh maniacally knowing that I have just stolen an hour of your life. Of course, now that I think about I realize that I probably spent 5-10 hours listening to submissions and writing this…

Dean
P
P
That took only 5 1/2 minutes Dean, so it's OK! wink

I'm on a roll!
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I think I accidentally described this as Last Dance within the mp3
Nope, that would be *MY* mistake. Oops. shocked
now that I think about I realize that I probably spent 5-10 hours listening to submissions and writing this…
Yep, I know how much time that takes! I definitely appreciate the folks who are able to take the time to thoughtfully comment on all the works. thumb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by dk21208:
– Sandy – I am assuming you posted two songs so you could have double the compliments. Well, that’s ok too. I think both songs were played very nicely. If your teacher has a problem with those, maybe he/she is just a big meanie…
dk21208,
First of all it's wonderful that you took the time to listen to and listen again to this recital. You've put much time and thought into your replies and I know everyone appreciates it.

Thank you for your compliment. I posted two pieces because my pieces are usually less than two minutes and I'm starting to think this is too short! My second piece is one that I had been working on with my teacher and was trying to "polish" over the summer. We'll see next week how I did. My teacher is awesome but pretty picky which I really appreciate - he pushes me. The first piece is one that I've learned on my own over the summer and although I feel pretty good about it, I know that that there is tons of room for improvement and most likely I'll be playing it for my teacher for the first time next Friday.....dum de dum....

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by dk21208:

19 – LisztAddict – You cheated in so many ways… First you didn’t tell us how long you have played. Of course, I can always ask Copper. Second, you threw a curveball playing Shubert when clearly you have indicated that you have an unhealthy craving for some other composer. Unless you have gone to counseling and are now Liszt free. In which case I apologize for bringing this up, and can only hope that I am not responsible for a future relapse. That was very well played. I am just going to have to assume that you have played for many, many years after that performance.
...........I probably spent 5-10 hours listening to submissions and writing this…
I cheated? eek NOOOOOO!!!!!! It was my 2nd take but I really did play that Schubert piece laugh No editing, no cut, no paste. thumb I hope to see more new participants as well as 1st and 2nd recital participants to be in the future recitals.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I have been enjoying reading all the comments. No, not just the wonderful things people have been so kind to say about my recordings! laugh Seriously, it's interesting to read comments about all the recordings.

And I also am definitely going to go for another red dot in Nov! It's wonderful to have that.

Copper, I love the map and all the stats! Thanks for doing that! I had to laugh at your two unknowns! ("I put them in Hawaii, I hope they're happy" how could they not be!)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Opus

I don’t know very much about playing by ear, or all the different methods mentioned in the ABF, but I’m a little curious. How long does it generally take to get a song up to this level from the time you decide you want to play it?
This one took me about a week, I worked the melody out within minutes made my own arrangement of chords at the same time, then spent a few more minutes changing the chords slightly to ones I preferred...but, the rhythm was the nightmare it took me endless recordings to get the groove goin on

Also, once you learn it, are you able to play it without any notes/sheets/etc..? In other words, are you now able to go anywhere and play this anytime?
Yes I can now play it anytime but, not always the same. Here is a version (that I recorded before the recital one) which wasn't good enough as it still had many timing issues which Mike pointed out to me in no uncertain terms frown .

http://www.box.net/public/9otrrc3srm

Hi Dean
Seriously, does your child even remember what you look like?
Strange you should mention that? I was wondering why Sebby keeps calling me "Tony" ha ..still he calls everyone "Tony" as that is the name of his childminder and seems to be his favourite word at the moment wink

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
hey all, i just wanted to say i havent had much time this week to finish listening to the ones i couldnt download. but i wanted to say thank-you for your time listening and posting comments. i will get to it soon. school started but it seems i am busier now than the summer. strange eh. i will listen later though, but i am sure the ones i didnt hear yet are going to be just as superb as the ones i have heard!!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lee, the version you submitted for the recital is better, BUT, this version was nice, too. The first part repeated too many time (I think - 'cause I was singing along to it and it was supposed to go into the lower register... but it continued on the same level (words)... but all in all - mate - it was good. Glad you recorded - just for the record.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I, too, want to thank everyone who said something about my piece. I didn't ask for feedback... I forgot to, actually. It was simple at it's best - I suppose. That's what I'm into right now - I find I enjoy my playing better if it's simple.

But I know that I'll eventually crave to go onto more "adult" tunes... and in time that will happen. For now, like I said, I'm just so grateful that I find the pure joy of sitting at the piano and playing, albeit, simple tunes.

Thanks! laugh
P.S. You guys certainly do Rock!!!!! thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for listening to my piece, everyone, and for the kind words! smile

Good listeners are just as important as good musicians. laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am so pressed for time I have not had a chance to listen to all of the performances yet. Considering how much time and patience others have put into their critiques I am going to wait until I can really do them all justice with a careful listen.

In the meantime I just wanted to send out a big thank you to Bob and Piano World for doing all he does putting this together and another thanks to all of those that listened and commented on my playing. I really appreciate what everyone had to say.

P.

Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
BTW do you know what Nefeli means? Oh, and which collection is this score in? I think I need to get it!
Hi ShiroKuro, I haven't forgotten your question; I've just been trying to find out the answer to it! I'll tackle the easy one first. "Nefeli" is found on the Eden Roc CD. The sheet music is in that huge Einaudi book, the one you were reluctant to buy because it cost so much in Japan. I don't know if he has a shorter sheet music book for just Eden Roc, but you can try searching for it.

As for what the word "Nefeli" means, the various on-line translators I tried came up blank. Then I asked a friend who is a native-speaker Italian, and she said it didn't mean anything as far as she knew, and that it was possibly a name but no name she had heard of. Mr. Google yielded one clue: A site that claimed that "Nefeli" is another name for "Persephone."

I am going to go with the latter explanation, as it makes a nice story for the piece. Persephone was the greek goddess of the earth, I believe, and she was the one who was kidnapped by Hades and taken to the underworld, where she was later rescued by her mother (Demeter?), with the resolution that she was forced to spend half the year in Hades, which is when we have winter. But then she gets to go back to earth for spring/summer.

The Einaudi piece certainly conveys sadness yet also renewal. So maybe that's what it is all about.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Monica, it's explained in the Echoes booklet smile

"'Nefeli' is the Greek word for cloud. But for me, rather than clouds, it reminds me of sunshine. It is the name of the daughter of a Greek film director with whom I worked. When I went to visit the family, the little girl's cheerful energy filled their home and this is the piece of music I wrote for her."

...er....great embarrassment here. You would've thought I would check out the source (CD liner notes) first, rather than scurrying about frantically with babelfish, google, and Italian friends.

...and now I have to change my playing from tragic Greek myth to cheerful little Greek girl. eek

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Haha, don't worry Monica - I have just read what my piece is supposed to be about.

I was thinking it was about "the bridge between a piece and a song?", because I knew it wouldn't a) be about the place between heck and the world, or b) be about the 'getting under the bar' dance.

Turns out it is about 'unanswered questions in the mind, and in the music'.

by gmm1:

Dean – I must have this – my wife heard it playing and came in all excited that I learned her favorite song from high school….I would love a copy of your version.
gmm1,

I played this without any variation from the following sheet music. The only real difference from the recorded version is a few ornaments that Floyd threw in. It really is easy to learn the music. There are just a couple of challenging measures and it is otherwise rather repetitive. I would certainly be happy to give you suggestions if you have any problems with it. There is also an easy version available, but I wouldn't recommend it, because I don't think it would sound up to par.
Link to Last Date at SheetMusicPlus.com

Dean
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Dean - thanks - from the wife's point of view, the best 4 bucks I ever spent.....

Don't think for a minute I won't be bugging you if I hit a wall....

Thanks again.

Mike

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Monica, Euan! laugh Very interesting. I think your two posts should be quoted whenever anyone asks "what's in a name?"

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Did any of you just put all the files in a directory and put the music on without looking at who played what, after how many years of training and making notes about each piece ? Well I did. It actually is 2 hours of very nice music! It certainly makes me want to start practising more seriously again and maybe get a teacher.... (scary thought).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Bob, I haven't burned these to a CD yet but I did with the last recital and you are so right. You forget that it's just an amateur recital. I must do it with these and really just enjoy the music!

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission