2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, reading that sure makes up for not being at the concert. It sounds like you had a great time, and so did everyone else. Very inspiring story, ShiroKuro! smile

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Congrats from me as well.

Just curious, what have you learned from this experience to make the next one even better?

You said you were targeting 2 hours....how long did it end up being?

Were the other performers happy with their parts?

Gosh, it sure sounds like everyone involved enjoyed their time. I cannot imagine how it must feel.

Great job.

Mike

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
ShiroKuro,

From one story teller to another, "BRAVO!!!!!"

You've relayed your personal experiences so vividly and with such detail that I not only have butterflies in MY stomach but also sweaty palms!!

There's also a great big (actually I'm beaming) smile on my face celebrating your accomplishments!

You DESERVE to be proud of yourself!!

Daria

Only love is real, everything else is of ego and is an illusion.
Brava, Shirokuro! What a day and what an experience for you - thank you so much for sharing. I like your attitude towards playing in front of an audience. Please allow the comparison - when I translate for people I usually think to myself "get going, they want to understand the others", and that shifts your viewpoint, you're no longer afraid to fail because there are people who need you. And it is exactly what you did in your concert, you made people understand your music, made them, wanted them to enjoy it and share your joy.

Seconding Euan - when will you go on tour!?

Patty

In love with life
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! A wonderful story! You have an inspiring attitude about performing. I just finished reading (and have to reread) The Inner Game of Music. I can see how you have incorporated these practices into your playing! That's so great! I hope I can do the same (someday....) Thanks for sharing your experience. I felt like I was there.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Shiro--Wonderful job! I can't imagine having to organize my recital in addition to playing in it. That is wonderful that you were able to do so much (and also still work, I presume). I know there is a sadness to finishing, but it will soon clear out as you work on new pieces and a future performance.

Nancy

Estonia 168
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Dear Shirokuro: I have to admit I was a little teary at the conclusion of your wonderfully delightful and passionate story.

I, of course, add my congratulations and bravas. You worked so hard, and I am so pleased that everything went so beautifully, as it should have.

Thank you for taking the time, energy and thoughtfulness in letting us all know that it's all worth every minute of every hour of every day that we spend at that wonderful instrument...so close to our hearts.

Regards,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Shiro,

I'm adding my voice to the chorus... Congratulations!

Very, very well done, and very well told. I guess the next best thing to being there is reading about it in this forum.

Thanks for Sharing Shiro!

Jeff
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Thank you everyone, especially for reading in spite of the length! smile

Icekid, Piano*Dad, I'm trying to find the English name for that spider, but I think it might be like a Japanese daddy-longlegs. I didn't notice at first that it was missing a leg, that is really funny!

In the last few days, I've had the chance to see or chat with some of the people who attended the concert, and people have been giving me the best compliments. People have mentioned a specific piece and said they liked that one the best, or they've talked about how they really liked my whole selection and the order that I presented my pieces. People have asked me about the composers or how I came to know these pieces. I love hearing these comments, because those people are talking about the music I played. That means that my playing, whether I played well or not, whether I made a mistake somewhere, was not an issue, the music was at the front of what I was presenting. Which is a big victory I think. A few people who heard me play last December have also said how much my playing has changed and how relaxed and in control of the music I've become. And people have said really positive things about the the whole event, how the music was really great, the selection of music and the ordering of performers was just right and so on. People have thanked me for organizing the concert because they had a great time! What wonderful things to hear! I am still walking on air!

gmm1, I've already learned a lot from this concert, and I suspect I'll learn more as the experience settles down in my head. First of all, I've learned that all the things I did were right, and I need to do them every single time! All the prep, all the simulations, all the rehearsals, enlisting people to help, taking time for myself on cncert day. All these things were crucial to the success. And regarding stage fright or performance anxiety, just because I had a good experience this time doesn't mean the same will happen again. I need to treat each time the same, the work I do to get ready for the concert has to be the same as the work I do to get the piece polished. Every time we play a new piece, we have to start at the beginning. And every time I play in public, I'll have to do all the same steps to control my stage fright. But the great thing is that, just like with getting better at playing, I can also feel that I'm getting better at performing and will continue to do so. As long as I do the work.

The concert was about 1 hour and 40 minutes, and then we stood around chatting for about 25 minutes I think. That length (100 minutes of music) is good I think, because if the music goes on for much longer, people who are not really into music will get tired, and individual parts of the concert start to run together.

I think the flutist and soprano were happy with their performances, and he other pianists were sort of wishy-washy. smile

Nancy I do indeed work, and did all of this in addition to my job. That did make it rough at times, but my husband has been incredibly helpful, and I couldn't have done any of this without his help!

Patty, I like your comparison. In the past, just preparing the music and getting up in front of people took all the mental energy I had. But now I have a little more, and I am very aware that the reason I'm playing is because I want to share this music with these people. It's like a present I've received and that I want to share with someone else. It's not about me, it's about the music and the listeners and the notes that I want to send floating into the air.

Sandy, my plan was to reread the Inner Game before this concert, but I didn't make it (too busy!) I am planning on reading it again during the winter holidays. A lot of elements have come together to put me where I am now, but the information in that book is one of the biggest parts.

Again, thank you everyone. Now I need to work on coming up with another signature line! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations Shiro! What a successful event you had! Since we couldn't be there, reading about it is the next best thing. Txs for sharing.

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Well, looks like I got the video figured out. Excuses--I mean Disclaimer: my piano teacher said that this video is not an accurate representation of the sound, esp the dynamics. This was filmed with a digital camera, not a video camera, so I'm actually surprised it sounds as good as it does.

Ok, here's the video, time 2 minutes 20 seconds.

Carol of the Bells on YouTube

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Here is the David Nevue arrangement of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. When I first heard/saw this video, I was very disappointed, but after watching it a few more times, I've decided it's not as bad as I thought. I'm not going to to critique myself here, but suffice it to say that I have learned a lot from this video, and I hope to make a recording of this piece in the near future, and try to get closer to the way I really want to play the piece. In spite of all that, considering I was playing in front of 90 people, I don't think it's too bad.

time, 3 minutes 20 seconds

edited, here is the working link on Google:
GRYMG video on Google

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Shiro, i have been following this thread your accounts and also the video. i cant really say what the video doesnt already say, its excellent!!! superb!!! i cant wait to see the other vids you post up. i wish i could have been there to see this, but am very happy you brought this concert here to share. simply incredible!!!! thank-you for taking the time to upload, post, i know you must be exhausted. how incredible you are!!!

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Shiro!! smile

You told the story perfectly..the way you described the way you were feeling when playing and before the concert...had me on the edge of my seat!!

Loved the photos too laugh

The first video is so wonderful...the sound is fine for me (I would have loved to watch you from the other side to see you play though but, its thrilling all the same thumb ) you played beautifully and confidently, you look a total professional, I can just see how you were lost in your music laugh

The second video is unavailable for some reason(maybe I'm too early?)

thankyou

Lee laugh

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Lee, Funburger, thank you!

YouTube says it's still processing my second video. It's over 60mb long, so I guess it's possible that it will become available in the next few hours. I uploaded it twice more, so now my account shows me that it's processing 3 GRYMG's. :p

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Oh no, I just checked again and one of the three uploads I have waiting to be processed says "rejected, too long." But I'm well under the 100mb, 10 minute limit. frown Hmmm... If anyone has any ideas let me know!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Shiro:

I just watched your first video and was very impressed by your playing abilities as well as how you pulled this whole thing off without a hitch.

Those red shoes could also be used as an instructional tutorial on how to properly pedal as well! smile

Can I be your future tour manager?

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Shiro--Wonderful playing! I like the seated bow also; it's much less formal than standing up.

The second video said "removed due to use violation." I wonder if we have to get permission before we post something under copyright. I can't imagine that's true, though--there are hundreds of performances of copyrighted pieces on YouTube. Well, it's a mystery.

Anyway, Shiro, you play with such confidence. I am really impressed.

Nancy

Estonia 168
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
No, the second video is being rejected because of size. My account screen gives me a message that says "rejected, too long." But the trouble is, the video itself is under the size and time limits. Videos have to be less than 100mb and under 10 minutes. This one is 67mb and less than 4 minutes, so I don't know what the problem is! frown

I sent YouTube an email to their help address, but I'm sure they won't get back to me very quickly. After I get back from work today, I'm going to try a few more things. I'm wondering if I could somehow do a tiny bit of editing and make it small enough. But I don't know how! argh!!

MrS-H, glad you liked the shoes! wink

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Ok, here's the video, time 2 minutes 20 seconds.
That was terrific ShiroKuro, well done!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission