2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Well, even though I have 2 pieces that are "presentable" in terms of my own preparation, I don't think I'm going to have anything ready to share for the recital Monday. frown I'm planning to have another recording "session" Sunday evening, but even if I get something recorded that's worth sharing, it won't be online in time. frown

Anyone else falling behind?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had something recorded, but am not really happy with it, so I may skip this recital. I am going to try again this weekend, but seriously doubt I will submit anything. So, you aren't alone.

I will just enjoy everyone else's submissions!

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just can't decide what piece to play! Which means I haven't really got anything ready.

Today I just heard a few pieces by a composer named Zbigniew Preisner, so I'm going to journey and buy the book, and hope that there is a simple piece in it!

If the worst comes to the worst, there is a 40second piece which I will use as backup.

Even though not perfect, I just sent whatever I had.

I confess that the idea of sending in the version I have on cd crossed my mind smile

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I'm still trying to get my piece up to speed. The tempo indicated for the piece I've been working on is 168 for the quarter note ( 5/4 time ). I can play it fairly well at about 110 and climbing very slowly. I'm also trying like heck to give it a "swing" rhythm instead of playing it like a classical piece (this is new for me).

At the same time, I'm having to deal with big messes around my house (just had workers remove all the acoustic ceiling stuff-popcorn?)...what a mess! Also spending time sanding/refinishing crown molding before I reinstall it...but, I'm still giving this recital peice heck (nearly to the point of having a sore left hand which basically repeats the same rhythm for all 6 pages)

Even so, I'm thinking I'll submit whatever I've got even if it is not what I would consider ready. After all, as Mr. S-H has pointed out, it's not like you guys are going to recognize me at WalMart and point me out as the guy who submitted the embarassing peice on the AB Forum.

ShiroKuro, I know you're probably already sleeping on the other side of the globe right now, but when you wake up, tell me, have you guessed the peice I'm working on.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Opus45:
...After all, as Mr. S-H has pointed out, it's not like you guys are going to recognize me at WalMart and point me out as the guy who submitted the embarassing peice on the AB Forum.
Good point.

For crying out loud! This is the BEGINNER'S forum!
:rolleyes:
This is a safe place to have a weak performance, just do it.
smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
L
Well, with 7 kids in the house and it already being the weekend, you may get a recording with kids yelling, phone ringing, dog barking, PLUS mistakes and general shakiness. I was going to record yesterday while everybody was at school, but the 5 pm prom dress line won the priority competition. I think I'll see if I can get my husband to take everybody to the park for a while.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I'm still trying to get my piece up to speed.
Don't sweat it. After all, I submitted a piece to the first recital that was supposed to be something like 3:40 but my version was 4:33. LOL.

LauraD, you just need to follow my strategy for dealing with the kids: banish them to the basement! I've also been known to make them play outside in the rain.

Actually, after experimenting a little bit, I discovered that my microphone has a fairly limited range. So the kids can still be in the house, and as long as they're in a different room and not running and screaming, I can still record and not pick up any of their noise. But then again...I only have two, not seven.

Fortunately for you, you have an easy solution: Mother's Day. Your husband, I hope, will ask you what he can do for you that day. Tell him you want him to take the kids out of the house and entertain them for four hours. wink

I tried once again today, but made some piece-stopping fluffs half way through - cracked the sulks and thought I'd try again tommorrow. Aargghhh!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Come on folks, it's a recital, not a production CD we're doing here.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Aw, c'mon! You guys talked ME into participating and now you're chickenin' out on me????? I want to hear all the mistakes, shakiness, flubs, pauses, slow timing and everything else you are all complaining about! Heaven knows MY piece will have all that and more!

That said, I suppose I should go prepare to record it, huh? wink But I WILL have something submitted either today or tomorrow....

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
that's the attitude IrishMak

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, y'all made me feel quilty. Since I already had mine recorded, I just emailed it to Bob.

Hey, it's your ears! :p

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good job Rocky! thumb Your submission is much better than anything I'm going to send in. It's funny, it was so good that I expected to hear applause at the end from the supper club crowd you were playing for. Seriously! Next time include the repeated bits!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i dont have anything ready, i will get something up today or tomorrow mistakes and all. i also have to goto the recital thing to see what bobs email addy is to send it in. i guess i will have to really get to work now!!! and glad i am not the only one to not have anything in yet!!!

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Laurens:

I confess that the idea of sending in the version I have on cd crossed my mind smile
laugh
I thought of sending my teacher's recording in laugh or playing it very slowly and accurately and then (because I can) speed up the tempo on the saved recording... laugh but like my mom would say....I'd only be fooling myself laugh laugh

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by IrishMak:
I want to hear all the mistakes, shakiness, flubs, pauses, slow timing and everything else you are all complaining about! ....
me too! laugh ha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL,

I had sent mine last week with mistakes galore and wrong timing in some spots. Now I have it a little better but it won't be sent for replacement. This is for beginners so Its funny to see how everyone is panicking.
I,m in the process right now of trying to record Bach's Prelude in C major (not for recital) and I just can't seem to get it right in one take. Oh it's frustrating...but I am sure getting to know the piece smile

I'm already anxious for the 3rd recital smile

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:

I thought of sending my teacher's recording in laugh or playing it very slowly and accurately and then (because I can) speed up the tempo on the saved recording... laugh but like my mom would say....I'd only be fooling myself laugh laugh
Actually, we are already cheating by making many recordings and sending Bob only the best one. That is something you cannot do on a real recital smile .

BTW, I want to hear everyones mistakes too!! Just hate to hear mine smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've thought of that....but it's probably the closest I'll get to a recital and remember that with recordings, the mistakes are never forgotten! We can hear them over and over and over and over....again.... shocked

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bob Muir:
Come on folks, it's a recital, not a production CD we're doing here.
Exactly.

I did my in one take. eek It has some errors and the timing, which at the time I thought was fine, actually is a bit off in some parts... nevertheless - I'm pleased with it - it shows overall growth. Unfortunately, for the way I'm learning - the PMMO method - it also shows what can happen when you over complicate the piece, and you can loose the timing. All it takes, though it practice and feeling comfortable with the chosen piece. Then of course the recording gremlins....you all know that.

There are errors. There is room for improvement. I in fact tried to do it over, immediatley fell back on the first submission. What the heck, I said to myself - it's done - email it and sit back and listen to everyone and just enjoy myself.

I hope to show improvement for the next recital.

Later you guys! I'm really looking forward to hearing everyone!!! laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, I know it's "cheating," but I feel better having more than one to choose from! I do have a usable one from today, and I may try to get a better one tomorrow, but if not, this will be it: hesitations, mistakes, off timing and all.

Looking forward to hearing all of you!

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
R
R
nothing from me either=( i had planned to participate but what i'm working on is nowhere near ready (MIGHT be ready for the next recital in 2month... & that aint even quite sure!) i've been working on my teacher's recital for next week but i already posted both pieces i'm gonna play so they don't count & the only other piece i'm working on beside the hard one is only half done... & a day is most definately not enuff (well who knows... might make for a challenge maybe i could manage it in 2 days actually ... maybe)

i will not make it im afraid, i have a few pieces that are not finnished becuse that are to difficult and a few that are not finished because they are to easy and dont hold my attention.
THERE IS NO JUST RIGHT!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That's a new one gilad; you can't finish a piece because it's too easy?! eek

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will not make it. I have to figure out the free software and still find a cable to plug up with. I did not have time to prepare for this.

My song is ready but not my computer. Maybe next time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Laurens:
Actually, we are already cheating by making many recordings and sending Bob only the best one. That is something you cannot do on a real recital smile .

Well, the submission I sent in was 1 take. I sat down, hit record and played the song. And for those who are so particular, yes, I said "song" because what I played is a song, not a piece!! :p

I know we are our own worst critic, however, my submission is not that good, contrary to what Bob might have said. smokin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rocky, I'm glad you sent something in. I look forward to listening to your song. Huggy. smile

Bob, how are we going for numbers? How many submissions so far? I just fluked a fairly ok version, and sent it to you.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
One of these days I will get some mics to record with and join you guys. I really enjoyed listening to everyone's pieces last time around, and I'm looking forward to this one as well.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Opus45, are you recording Take Five?!! Ooooh, I can't wait to hear it! I have put that one aside for awhile while I try to get my technique to the point where I can work on it without spending an entire year on the first page!

If not Take Five, then I am clueless.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
;)You guessed it! Today is recording day, even though I don't really have it ready.
but first, a few more practice sessions...

Jeff
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I sent mine in late last night. But I CHEAT!!! I did 2 takes and discarded the first one. laugh

Nothing from me folks. Sorry. I haven't played anything "recital worthy" lately. Unless you want me to record 5 minutes of me flubbing my way thru Solfeggietto at half speed. =))

Originally posted by Naught:
Nothing from me folks. Sorry. I haven't played anything "recital worthy" lately. Unless you want me to record 5 minutes of me flubbing my way thru Solfeggietto at half speed. =))
Yes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
[b] Nothing from me folks. Sorry. I haven't played anything "recital worthy" lately. Unless you want me to record 5 minutes of me flubbing my way thru Solfeggietto at half speed. =))
Yes. [/b]
I second that.

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I see what everyone was talking about "the dreaded red light (or in my case the flashing red light)". In addition to being the first jazz peice I've tried to learn, this is my first time recording.

I've just done about 5 takes (hint on what I'm submitting)...and have something ready to send. But, I think I'm going to go relax, have a beer or two & see if I can't give it one more shot to make it better. If not, I'll send what I already recorded.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by IrishMak:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
[b]
[b] ... Unless you want me to record 5 minutes of me flubbing my way thru Solfeggietto at half speed. =))
Yes. [/b]
I second that. [/b]
Third.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Cool Opus, I love Dave Brubeck!

I can't think of a single group recital I've been to where everyone was at the same skill level or played/sung/danced/etc perfectly. Come on folks, this is a 'student recital', not a 'performance recital'. I think if you originally commited to playing in it you should follow through.

Only the humble improve.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
I sent mine in late last night. But I CHEAT!!! I did 2 takes and discarded the first one. laugh
Only 2 takes!!!! eek eek

[Linked Image]
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Well, I consumed the beer as planned. But instead of trying to re-record a more perfect version I decided the one I recorded earlier was good enough.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I consumed the beer as planned. But instead of trying to re-record a more perfect version I decided the one I recorded earlier was good enough.
Good old beer...makes everything sound so good smile

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
I find a small amount of beer helps settle recital nerves. I had two bottles before my final recording and was pretty happy with it in the end.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just sent in my recording. Not perfect by a long shot, but I was reasonably happy with it....

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I hope Bob meant midnight the end of Sunday edt as the deadline, not the beginning, because I just spent the afternoon recording! And emailed. Either way, I'm happy to have done it.

I'm in! I think...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, midnight always means the end of the day. At least as far as I'm concerned. wink

Trying to do this 4 months after starting had me a nervous wreck. But I'm glad I did it. I have a live recital of the piece next Saturday, so it was good to work through the nerves.

The recording is terrible quality wise, but I wanted to get a recording in, so I'm in. Even with the mistakes, it was good to hear myself so I can work out somemore things. Thanks for doing this.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I sent mine in last night too. It was full of mistakes, but after thinking about it. If I were to record over and over in hopes of getting it nearly perfect, it wouldn't be a very good representation of how I actually play. So you get my "average, uneven trill, with noticeable goof ups version". It's better than the run for the hills, plug your ears, is that a dying cat scream version that I started with last month though... oh well.

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm excited to hear all the submissions. I had alot of fun listening to them last time. Still have several of them saved to Windows MediaPlayer which I cycle through in my playlist too!

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.
G
G
I've been away from the computer for a while, guess I missed this recital frown

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Okay you guys, those of us who submitted something - BRAVO! Those of us who didn't - NEXT TIME. I have a feeling there are going to be lots of surprises in Recital #2. I truly look forward to hearing everyone. Let's all say a prayer tonight and get a good nights sleep. Tomorrow is a busy day! God Bless and Good night! heart

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nothing you could record real quick? Even if it's just something you've been working on?

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
[b] I sent mine in late last night. But I CHEAT!!! I did 2 takes and discarded the first one. laugh
Only 2 takes!!!! eek eek [/b]
Things usually go down hill after 2-3 takes. I did warm up for almost an hour before I started the recorder. smile

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Woot, I'm done and submitted! I bet my family will be cheering too once they hear me playing something else. laugh

Grats to everyone who submitted, and friendly "tsktsks" to everyone who didn't. ;D

(I did 4 takes and took the first one, go figure)

Only the humble improve.
K
K
I've been practicing 2 pieces("Before the last leaf falls" and Cristofori Dream") but im still not happy with my recordings currently but I will submit them sooner or later.

You can control what you play but you cant control what you think.

kfcheung
I'm afraid that I didn't make it this time. My piano records MIDI files on a floppy. My problem is that neither my home computer or my computer at work have a floppy drive. So I have to record on a floppy and then find an older computer so I can e-mail it. Guess I need an external floppy drive. Next time!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Agilita:
I'm afraid that I didn't make it this time. My piano records MIDI files on a floppy. My problem is that neither my home computer or my computer at work have a floppy drive. So I have to record on a floppy and then find an older computer so I can e-mail it. Guess I need an external floppy drive. Next time!
Technology has advanced past us! I don't have floppy in either of the laptops here, either. When I save on my Roland, I have to use the desktop computer. But you know, you can take the floppy somewhere, and transfer it to a flash drive!

I have a knit program I want to load on my laptop that loads from floppy. I'll have to do the transfer thing. Soon.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For those who would like to easily add a floppy even if it's only occasional use, there are lots of USB drives available. All you need to do is plug it in to a nearby USB port and you're in like Flynn!

Amazon has a slew of them available and if you want to buy one from a bricks & mortar establishment, CompUSA, OfficeMax, and Office Depot should all carry them.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
That's a new one gilad; you can't finish a piece because it's too easy?! eek
I can relate to that completely! I often dump pieces because they just don't hold my attention and are too simple.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
For those who would like to easily add a floppy even if it's only occasional use, there are lots of USB drives available. All you need to do is plug it in to a nearby USB port and you're in like Flynn!

Amazon has a slew of them available and if you want to buy one from a bricks & mortar establishment, CompUSA, OfficeMax, and Office Depot should all carry them.
Bob, isn't that "In like Flint"? I have no idea where it comes from, but I always thought it was Flint. Any idea where it came from?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've always assumed it referred to Errol Flynn. Remember, Google is your friend. smile

The Straight Dope
World Wide Words

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, I think it is "In Like Flint". It's the title of 60's (?) James Coburn movie that was kind of a take-off on James Bond movies.

I don't know if this movie started the use of the expression or if it was created before that.

Read the second web site Bob listed for us. Everybody uses "In like Flint" but that was a satire of "In like Flynn." Wow...I learned something today! I will bamboozle my colleagues with the correct usage of this term.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
History is always taking place right now... wink

Only the humble improve.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Boy, you guys are making me feel old! eek wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission