2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure exactly how to properly phrase this question because it's not really a question but rather a statement or better put, my opinion concerning giving feedback to others on their recital piece.

The way I look at it, most, if not all of us have put in a GREAT deal of time and effort learning our selections, practicing it for endless hours as well as going through the whole recording process which can be described as a stressful learning process in itself for many to say the least! mad .

I have to say that it is very nice to receive feedback from others if not only to serve as a form of acknowledgement from others for the amount of time and effort that went into these performances.

An entire write up is not nessessary as a simple short acknowledgement will suffice.

While "nice job", "sounds good", "loved it" etc may sound a bit overused, it certainly does'nt mean that these comments are insincere. I mean how many ways can you tell someone that you really enjoyed their performance and commend them for their efforts anyway?.

The point I'm trying to make is that I really DO appreciate everyones participation in the recitals as well as know how much work and effort goes into the entire process.

While I may be handing out a bunch of "sounds goods", "loved its" etc in my replies, please know that I really DO mean it and am not just firing off standard issue canned responses.

As the participation in these recitals increases over time, it may be difficult to respond and acknowledge everyone due to time constraints but it would be nice if a short reply was given to a few of the pieces that really stood out for you.

I'm not asking anyone to force themselves into giving feedback to everyone as that would sort of defeat the purpose to begin with. That said, a simple group acknowledgement or better yet, a few individual replies really can mean a lot to the performers who have invested so much time in their performances.

For those who would like to respond to everyone but don't have lots of time, a suggestion of possibly giving 5-10 quick replies a day for a few days could achieve this goal.

As to not rush my responses, I think I am going to give a few replies every day for a while until the entire group has been addressed. There is NO time restrictions to do so and it will only take a few minutes per day to do it this way.

Like I said, I'm sure that EVERYONE really appreciates a simple pat on the back once in a while, (some more often! :rolleyes: ) and a simple acknowledgement of a job well done can really go a long way in terms of a reward as well as a continued incentive to forge ahead in this musical journey.

This is one of the 4 times per year that we all really do get together as a group so lets keep the positive vibes flowing and show our support for one another. thumb

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mr. S-H,

I concur. When my friend etorrales was working on her submission for the the recital I was doing the recording. We then discussed her piece and she commented on how nice it was to play for someone who could provide feedback. AS musicians we all want to play for someone else and we want to know how our music was received.

I do want to get feedback (both positive and negative) on my submission. I will also offer feedback to others on their playing. I think that they deserve acknowledgment just for the effort of making a submission.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Good thoughts, S-H. I for one probably won't even be able to listen until some time in April, much less give feedback, tho I'll be sure to bump the thread when I do smile

But I *always* assume that if someone says "Great job, everyone!" they're talking directly to me laugh

This one has some really interesting submissions -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just two thoughts: I think it's better to add a new message rather than keep editing the same one when adding comments a few at a time - otherwise it's easy for somebody to miss them - and somehow, we need to make more use of the critical thread; I'm sure most of us want critical commentry but everybody is 'too nice' to do it; or we feel we are not expert enough maybe; I dunno...

YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S-H:
I didn't write per-submittal reviews on the last two recitals (did it last January though) exactly for the banality of the "great!" responses (even though I would certainly mean every "great!"). I'll probably stick with the same style, but will try to do post a few "critical feedback" posts on the ones that I feel qualified to say anything about. Great points from S-H as usual!

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
LaValse:

I DO agree with your point of NOT re-editing past comments to include new reviews as they may certainly get lost.

Just another thought, how about having a pre-made template of all the recital participants names in BOLD so we can just quickly cut and paste whomever we want to reply to?.

In past recitals, I have spent more time just trying not to botch everyones names in their headings!.

If we could quickly cut and paste 5-10 performers names and then spend a few minutes each day with a quick (but sincere) response, well now, that would be the cats meow!.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I enjoy the recitals so much and without exception have downloaded the recitals and put them in "repeat mode" for a number of days so that I can really have a good chance to listen to each piece.

I know that I always appreciate it when someone comments on my own meager efforts, even if it's just a "good job". Sure, I like some pieces better than others but I nevertheless enjoy them all and I try hard to give feedback that's proportional to the pleasure I've received from listening to the recital.

Looking forward to this one!

Greg
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Just another thought, how about having a pre-made template of all the recital participants names in [b]BOLD so we can just quickly cut and paste whomever we want to reply to?[/b]
I'm about to fall over from sleep, but I could swear I already added that to the recital software. Lemme check...

...ah, indeed. A "response template" is generated automatically after the deadline. Monica will have to link to it from the recital thread (the software provides instructions for this, so I'm sure she'll do that.)

Here's what it looks like from the previous recital:

http://abf.make247.co.uk/recital_files/Test_Recital/response-template.txt

You can copy&paste that into your reply and then replace the "(to do)" items with your comments.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
> I'm about to fall over from sleep

Never a good idea to sleep while standing up... wink

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hunk,

Nice comments that are important to remember now that recital time is so near.

Ed's (epf), comment is so true about musicians needing feedback. I didn't know how important feedback would be until I received it after my first ABF recital (5).

Cathy's (jotur), comment that she assumes, "Great job, everyone!" is directed to her, is super! We all should assume the same for ourselves.

Other than feeling good about participating, there is nothing more gratifying and self-esteem raising than to receive a comment from another. To know that they have taken the time to listen is, in itself, a compliment.

I'm really eager to hear the beautiful music that awaits me. Like Greg (BB Player), I have unzipped and placed every piece from all previous recitals in my computer and my mp3 player.

Lisztener

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lisztener:

To know that they ("others")have taken the time to listen is, in itself, a compliment.

Another PW hall of fame quote contender! thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Like I said, I'm sure that EVERYONE really appreciates a simple pat on the back once in a while
Some people like medals too!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
With increasing number of participants it does get more difficult to comment on everyones. What I've done the last few recitals is start a template with everyone's name and piece in a simple txt file. I'll listen at work (shhh) a few at a time and add comments as I go, saving my posting till my text file is complete. It takes a few days or a week usually.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by I played it better at home:
What I've done the last few recitals is start a template with everyone's name and piece in a simple txt file.
Cool. Now you can simply download that .txt file and type in your comments. laugh

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, I actually type the comments right in the text file as I go along and then when I'm finished, copy/paste the whole thing in my reply.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I didn't know about that template Matthijs laugh

Thats going to be very useful, I do try my best to listen to everyones pieces and to let them know my thoughts especially if I enjoyed listening to them play...but, have to admit the typing it all out takes a lot of effort (especially as I can't touch type)

That should save me some time smile

Thanks for the heads up

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In every recital, I listened to everyone's piece 2-3 times and sometimes more if I couldn't get enough of it. Being a participant myself, I can imagine the effort everyone put into his/her performance. Honestly, I think everyone was outstanding and some were super excellent. I would feel kinda awkward if I wrote "great job", "good work", "love it", "you have emotion in your piece" on just about everyone's performance. So I only wrote constructive comments (on pieces that I know well) when I felt the performer could easily do better if he/she knows what it is to do; I know most in this ABF are self-taught.

Mr S-H, if you really want to know, you are on the super excellent list. And I don't say that just to make you happy. I like classical music and only play from sheet music, and I know you like to improvise just about any tune you can pick up. But the love for music doesn't have to restrict to any particular style. We do whatever that moves our heart and soul, and I think you are doing very well with what you do.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What could possibly be so bad about this thread that it gets a 2 rating? It's all about positive stuff...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Lisztaddict:

Thank you for the nice words as I do very much appreciate them. I do want to point out however that this is one of those very rare occassions in which this thread is NOT about me but rather how important it is for everyone to get some type of feedback

It is more a gesture or acknowledgement that someones piece has been heard and appreciated. As Lisztener had said, "to know someone had taken the time to listen to your piece is in itself a compliment". I could'nt agree more.

I guess the bottom line of my post is to say it would be really nice if everyone who took the time and effort to participate in these recitals were simply given some quick feedback on their piece just as a way of saying thank you for providing us with this performance.

While "nice job", "sounds great" etc may sound a bit cliche, everyone knows that there are only so many ways to say good job and thus those simple words still DO carry a lot of meaning.

Jazzwee:

Your comment on the ratings once again truly saddens me. Not because this thread is so poorly rated, but because it just goes to show you (once again) that there ARE forum snipers AMONGST US!.

This thread is only about supporting one another but yet some (of course nameless) members feel the need to take time just to "rate" a positive thread poorly. The fact that this continues to happen is disappointing to say the least.

Just think, *possibly* some of the people you will be spending time giving recital feedback/reviews too will be the same members who find enjoyment out of rating/ranking you poorly!.

I guess the whole ranking system would'nt bother me so much if it was'nt knowing that people actually went out of their way to rate/rank you poorly. Of course, anonymously!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The most difficult thing for me in giving feedback is that I am pretty...uhh...crappy with words sometimes! frown

It is oft-times very difficult for me to put my feelings into words as I'd like. It also seems that the more intense the emotion I feel, the more of a challenge it is for me to describe it, which is frustrating because it is so important that you all know the impact your music has.

Tina

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission