2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I have noticed lots of book titles flying around lately and was thinking that it would be nice to have a list somewhere. (So I know what to shop for when I visit the U.S. next!)

I'll start, and please add any you know of or have actually read, especially those that relate to the specific needs of us ABs.

A Soprano On Her Head. by Eloise Ristad, about performance anxiety. (thanks for the recommendation Jodi!)

The Inner Game of Music (I hope that's the right title, from the "Inner Game of Tennis" folks)

Piano Lessons (by Noah Adams, about his experience taking up piano as an adult)

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great thread, ShiroKuro - I'm interested to see what the people here post.

Here are two that I like:

Seymour Fink "Mastering Piano Technique" - a fantastic guide to developing technique, focusing on body mechanics amd movement.

Boris Berman's "Note's from the Pianists Bench" - this is like a master classs in a book. I like him because he has good practical advice and is not dogmatic.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
B
B
I'm currently reading "Piano Mastery: The Harriette Brower Interviews". I find it really really interesting, but not overly helpful with improving my playing. It has interviews with famous pianists and/or their students. Those included, among many others, are Padarewski, Backhaus, Gabrilowitsch, Godowsky, Cortot, Gieseking, Hess, Prokofiev, and Rachmaninov.

"The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" is a great read for enjoyment. (I liked it better than the Noah Adams book)

"Making Music at the Piano" by Barbara Maris has some interesting insights about playing in general.

I played it better at home.
O
O
Originally posted by HermanM:
"The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" is a great read for enjoyment. (I liked it better than the Noah Adams book)

"Making Music at the Piano" by Barbara Maris has some interesting insights about playing in general.
Herman,

I agree about "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" and enjoyed it much more than "Piano Lessons", although I found it odd and frustrating that the author (Chad ?) would never just come out and say what pieces he was learning or working on.

"These are the good old days" --Carly Simon
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
With Your Own Two Hands by Seymour Bernstein is interesting. It gets quite technical, but it's a book that I can "grow" into. It's quite inspirational as well.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i too have Bernstein's "with your own two hands" and have read most part of it, quite interesting.

i also have Seymour Fink's "Mastering piano technique", a very helpful technique book.

i have many other piano related books, but those 2 i read often.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Since I'm essentially self-taught, I think I've read just about every piano book generally available, including all those mentioned here (except for "Soprano etc.").

One I highly recommend to all AB's, especially those who are mainly self-taught, is Charles Cooke's "Playing the Piano for Pleasure."

P.S. does anyone here have Fink's video that mates with his book?

(watch this space)
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Cooke's book is really great Magellan - But have you checked out the price????? It is out of print and rare. Last time I looked it was like $50.00. I read my sister's copy and really enjoyed it.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ouch! Yes, Teachum. I just saw that on Amazon.com. What a shame.

People in the USA might still be able to borrow a copy from their libraries.

(watch this space)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
musicmagellan (you really need a nickname) - we are alot alike... I own Playing the Piano for Pleasure - bought it for a dollar smile reading it always..

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
H
H
Ditto on "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" - especially if you are fascinated in pianos themselves.

My piano teacher recommended "Jean Christoff" by Romain Roland but I have been unable to locate a copy - has anyone read this?

Kevin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"With Your Own Two Hands" is a wonderful book. (My teacher studied with Seymour Bernstein. smile ) It does get into technical matters, but it also covers things like practicing, memorization, performance and nervousness. There's also an interesting examination of the student/teacher relationship. Bernstein has another terrific book about the basic "movements" in piano playing entitled "20 Lessons in Keyboard Choreography."

Another of my favorite books is "On Piano Playing" by Gyorgy Sandor.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
I bought a copy of "Piano: Guided Sight-Reading" by Leonhard Deutsch last night at a used/vintage bookstore. The tease on the back cover states things such as:

---
DON'T do finger exercises, scales and dreary drills.
DON'T suffer through Cramer, Clementi, Czerny
Fingering comes naturally - if you forget about it.
Coordinating your ears, eyes, and hands.
The psychological "secret" of reading music at sight.
---

We'll see how it reads, at ~100 pages there can't be a great level of detail. It might make good bathroom reading material, but the "Encyclopedia of Bad Taste" appears to be more fun.

Rob

Z
Z
Hi, everyone. Saw this topic and thought I should make my first post at last. smile

While it's not strictly about piano playing, "Starseeker" by Tim Bowler is a great fictional story about a gifted 14-year old pianist who is synaesthetic and also hears sounds and melodies that no-one else can. A lot of music is mentioned in the book, like Scriabin's Etude Op. 2 No. 1 and Debussy's The Snow Is Dancing. I highly recommend it.

As an aside, my sig is a quote from the book.

"'You are made of music, Luke.' 'What?' 'You are made of music. We all are but you're different.' 'In what way?' 'Because you experience it. You're one of the few who do. Music consumes you.'"
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Apple - YOu must have found Playing Piano for Pleasure at a garage sale? Obviously, someone did not know what a treasure they had.

tk Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome, Zaccix!

I'll have to see if I can find a lot of the books already mentioned. Here are a few that I've purchased within the last few months:

"The Piano Handbook" by Carl Humphries
"Piano Technique" by Walter Gieseking & Karl Leimer
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory"

To be honest, I haven't read much of any of them, but from what I have read, they seem promising.

Z
Z
Thanks, tk.

I've read an excerpt from "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" and I think it'll be my next book purchase. It seems like a mellow book, which suits me fine.

"'You are made of music, Luke.' 'What?' 'You are made of music. We all are but you're different.' 'In what way?' 'Because you experience it. You're one of the few who do. Music consumes you.'"
N
N
I saw a book this weekend called "Handful of keys" by Alyn Shipton. It's about 30 interviews with some "legendary" jazz pianists. It looks pretty good.

On the fiction side Body & Soul by Frank Conroy is a good book. Well written and pretty entertaining.

On a side not after reading this thread I ordered the Playing Piano for Pleasure book from the abebooks.com site for far less than the $50 Amazon was trying to get for it. Hopefully it's in decent shape.

"There is no such thing as a wrong note."
Art Tatum
M
M
Arthur Loesser's Men, Women and Pianos : A Social History is absolutely superb. Fascinating, fun, and informative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission