Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1019520 - 06/05/08 12:18 PM Re: How to practice sight reading (help)
Coolkid70 Offline

Loc: Irvine, CA
Of course.

I wasn't saying that you would not improve sight reading by improving your technique. My sightreading has definitely improved as I've progressed with the piano.

Gyro's claim was that you could only improve sightreading if you improve your technical ability, which was obviously false.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1019521 - 06/06/08 05:13 AM Re: How to practice sight reading (help)
Jamie147 Offline

Loc: England, UK
I read this post yesterday off line at home at I want to thank the contributors in particular Betty for the fantastic and easy to absorb advice. You're posts eliminate the need to buy expensive music books. \:D

There were lots of details I never knew and techniques to make retaining the information easier. Just what I need at a time when I'm finding it increasingly harder to put fingers to keys.

Thanks! \:\)

#1019522 - 06/06/08 01:12 PM Re: How to practice sight reading (help)
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Zazen said: "I have to admit I'm now a bit confused. Betty, I understand what you're saying about staying 'in the present moment' so to speak (hehe) and not reading ahead, but I can't help thinking that a little reading ahead is probably good (if not unavoidable).

For example, if I know I have an alberti bass line that alternates between the I and inversions of IV or V (common with easier pieces, as you know), it seems to really help to quickly look at the whole measure and see what the arpeggiation is so that I can concentrate on reading the melody in the RH. Same thing for the RH when the melody is simply a scalar run... would you agree that it's good to see these things a little ahead of time, perhaps reading one measure at a time? Or maybe, if I can read one measure at a time, is the piece too easy and I need to find something more challenging?"

Betty: My answer from my point of view is "Nope!"

But, please do it the way it works for you!

I can think of several different remedies that would help you adapt to what I'm suggesting.

Jamie147 said: "I read this post yesterday off line at home at I want to thank the contributors in particular Betty for the fantastic and easy to absorb advice. You're posts eliminate the need to buy expensive music books.

There were lots of details I never knew and techniques to make retaining the information easier. Just what I need at a time when I'm finding it increasingly harder to put fingers to keys. Thanks!"

Betty: Yes, learn them, do them, retain them. Train your fingers. I'm glad you found my posting helpful!

To those who thanked me for my posts: I appreciate hearing from you, and I'm glad it's helping.

Just to set the record straight, the things and the way I say them are not in any "book" that I know of. It just has not been universally discovered yet that there are many ways to say the same thing and some just are more effective in this century than others. ;\)

Betty

#1019523 - 06/09/08 07:42 AM Re: How to practice sight reading (help)
Zazen Offline

Ok, so after practicing sight-reading almost exclusively and reading these forums for a week, I have a few observations.

First off, naturally, thanks to all that have responded - I can definitely see a little improvement and I'm very thankful for that. Whether it was the advice specifically or simply being inspired to play, it's working \:\)

As for sight-reading... from what I can tell, I was playing too much in my "comfort zone" even when it appeared as though I was working hard. What I mean by this is that I played through pieces over and over, but was not focused on making things 100% accurate. As such, I reached a certain plateau of accuracy that never improved even with repetition since the learning had basically stopped. So, it seems to me that gaining skill in sight reading depends a great deal on playing accurately. There is a danger in repeating the same mistake in the same way. Not that I didn't already know that I needed to "slow down and play it right", but the perspective I've gained shows me a bit more of just how true this is when it comes to learning.

In fact, I think this same philosophy can be extended to building technique as well. There again, the focus is on building correct habits. For example, I'm working on Chopin's Prelude in G (very simple RH, challenging LH played quickly and softly). The A major arpeggiation in particular is difficult and something that I have only made progress in when I slowed it down to a crawl and hit it in exactly the way that I wanted - fingering, timing, dynamics, etc.

I've heard before (I think it was Glen Gould... I can't remember) that one of the famous pianists used to practice at one note per second when preparing for concerts. This may be overkill... but it may also be a speed that ensures that muscle memory helps very little, thus encouraging better memorization.

Anyway, the beauty in all of this for me is that I feel as though I understand better how to learn to gain sight-reading skill. That was my stumbling block before, so I am grateful to have insight into that now.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Who's Online
93 registered (Adypiano, angga888, AmateurBob, 26 invisible), 1195 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325915 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission