Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1019751 - 07/26/06 08:29 AM Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
To anyone who is interested following my comments to funburger about popular music being flexible (classical of course is very strict and has to be for the most part perfection - so I am only referring to modern music here)

I have quickly recorded a bit of a demo...I have played a verse of blue moon how I like it, then I've changed the tempo a little, changed the chords a little then played the melody a little wrong then a lot more wrong.

Just to show that so long as you keep on going it doesn't matter too much

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some people think when I play it wrong I sound better than when I play it right

Blue Moon and Plenty of Bloopers!! (click)

okay so this one is probably stretching things too far...but, I do sometimes sound like this when I totally forget how the song goes....LOL

Funburger you would probably have to wear a really crazy hat to get away with this :-

incredibly bloopy blue moon LOL (click)

regards

Lee \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1019752 - 07/26/06 10:45 AM Re: Popular music is flexible
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
Well, I am sure you will not be surprised to read that my response is "Fantastic"!! I enjoyed listening to both versions. I don't even think a crazy hat would be necessary. However, a big tip jar on the piano would definitely be needed!

#1019753 - 07/26/06 11:05 AM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Rocky

Thanks as always, you're too kind \:D (your cheque is in the post ), but what I am hoping you can hear is this - can you tell that even when I play the wrong notes it still kinda soundz like "Blue Moon"???

Just out of curiosity The first file is 4 different bluemooons all with differing levels of wrongness and the second file is like soooo wrong it is quite funny to me ;\)

Which version did you like the best or does it not really matter ie they all sound okay?

regards

#1019754 - 07/26/06 11:08 AM Re: Popular music is flexible
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
I liked the first one better. You can't hum along with the second one. However, for background music that you're not humming along with, it sounded great!

You can use that second style to see if your audience is paying attention to your playing. If you start getting some weird looks, then you know they've been humming along. \:D

#1019755 - 07/26/06 11:11 AM Re: Popular music is flexible
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Virginia
Hi Sea,
I have to say that your statement (regarding Classical music being very strict vs. popular music being flexible) initially took me by surprise. I view popular music as being fairly limited to rather simple patterns, formulas, colors, textures, etc.. Whereas Classical Music (meaning all serious music - for want of a better term) is unlimited in it's exploration of all of the elements mentioned above. I realise that you are referring to what the general public accepts in performance. Certainly, most popular music is performed in less formal surroundings which offer the performer certain leeway, but even the liscence taken by popular performers doesn't usually go beyond 'shaking up' familiar (often cliched) elements. You're quite right that the average concert goer expects the average concert artist to play pieces from the concert repetoire exactly as written. This, of course is rarely the case. Interpretive liscense has created as many vastly dis-similar renditions of the masterworks (some very controversial) as there are performers. Also, improvisation has always been a part of Serious music (again I apologize for the term - I just wish to include all concert music, not just that from the Classic Era). And those improvisations often transcend the limitations of furmulaic (I hope that's a word) progressions, rhythms, textures, colors, tonality, even technique. I'm not criticising your statement. I know what you mean; but I thought a clarification might be helpful for other beginners.
Best wishes for continued successful playing,
Walt

#1019756 - 07/26/06 11:17 AM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Walt

Theres no way I am arguing with that!! ;\) (heck I dont even understand the half of it )

I just wasn't really even trying to talk about classical music thats all (I know nothing about it to be honest, yeah I know my bad but, hey it doesn't float my boat). So I was only talking about popular music cause its all I know. (Classsical is probably more flexible than I know...but, judging from some of the posts I read here from classical adult beginners, it all sounds rather strict in the quest for playing it perfectly to me?)

Don't wanna upset you or anything \:\) I'm just trying to show how a few bum notes can be okay and melodies are as flexible as I don't know what!

I am so glad as least one version was sing-a-long-able to Bob. 1 out of 5 means I'm getting better \:\)

Quote:
You can use that second style to see if your audience is paying attention to your playing. If you start getting some weird looks, then you know they've been humming along.
funny \:\)

regards

#1019757 - 07/26/06 11:18 AM Re: Popular music is flexible
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I guess I liked the first version better, like Bob. They both still "sounded like" Blue Moon enough to know what the song was I think.

#1019758 - 07/26/06 11:57 AM Re: Popular music is flexible
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sea -
You didn't upset me. I know what you meant. I just wanted to clarify your statement for anyone who might have gotten the wrong impression about (so-called) Classical music.
Walt

#1019759 - 07/26/06 12:20 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Walt, next you'll be telling us that Fur Elise isn't a song. \:D

#1019760 - 07/26/06 12:38 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It seems like over on the Pianists board if someone even plays 1 note a bit more loudly than they thought it should then they've ruined the whole piece of music...god forbid they hit a wrong note!

#1019761 - 07/26/06 12:51 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've got no problem calling Fur Elise a song (albeit w/o words). I also don't hesitate to improvise on Fur Elise when there are young people there who play it. It's very accessible and everyone recognises it, so it's a fun one to sort of bridge the gap.

#1019762 - 07/26/06 01:37 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
Lee- first, I liked the second version, but I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes it when people "mess with" familiar stuff! lol And you really didn't toss it up too much. I have this little add-on for Media Player that tries to analyze chords and notes as something is playing, and, honestly, there wasn't a lot of odd stuff in there at all.

And to comment on both your and Walt's observations:
[on soapbox]
There is a perception problem with a very large portion of the listening public, imo. They only want to hear what they are familiar with and what they know. It is worse with those who only listen to pop music- all they know is the radio or album version and heaven forbid that a performer try to change things around at all! I am fairly active on several rock and roll forums and it is amazing how upset folk get if you even suggest that, just maybe, it would be nice to hear some of them (very talented- yeah, I know: But they play ROCK music! lol) stretch out a little. If it isn't EXACTLY note for note what they are used to hearing, it's being played "wrong." So what happens is that some very talented musicians become afraid to let loose because the audience wouldn't understand. It frustrates the heck out of me, because I get bored listening to the same old stuff, time after time... It's somewhat different in jazz, where it is almost expected that solos, in particular, will change and evolve as they are performed more and more. Classical? Well, yes, there is some room for interpretation in any given piece, but I don't think it would go over well with most classical purists to really change a given piece of music. But then, I also don't think that is the point with classical music. The basic genre is a reproduction, for lack of a better word (and I'm sure there is a better one), of the music as written by a particular composer. It's not everyone's cup of eighth notes, but then that's also why there are so many genres of music. Everyone can find what they like and appreciate most. Me? I like it all- there is very little music that I just won't listen to at all, tho there certainly is some that I like more than others. Our cd collection has a little bit of everything, and a LOT of some things. No matter what your favorite, a bit of exposure to a lot of different stuff will never hurt....

[off soapbox]

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1019763 - 07/26/06 01:54 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

the first one reminded me of a lounge, the second one sounded more like walking through a store, thats what i saw anyways, and where your music took me. i think you did a nice job of at least taking me somewhere with the music. i will have to listen again to find all those horrid mistakes you were talking about. now for my morning coffee and another listen:)

#1019764 - 07/26/06 02:28 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

There you go Bob :p

see - Mak likes the second one and it reminded "Funb" of shopping so it was kinda passable \:\) ...heck Mak even put it thru a machine thingymajig and even the machine thinks its not too far off either!

thanks for listening

Lee \:D

#1019765 - 07/26/06 02:31 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
keyboard samurai Offline

Loc: Hot and Humid Houston, TX
Of course, this has been a problem in Rock music for a long time. It's what Jimi Hendrix ran into head on. People wanting to hear Foxy Lady when he wanted to be experiment in the unknown areas of jazz-rock-blues fusion and improvisations.

The Grateful Dead being a possible exception in terms of popularity but they toured all the time and probably many deadheads were so busy partying that they missed some of the improvisational experimentation.

On the other hand:
The problem with much of serious music (including Classical) IMO, is that it takes rare genius to go off the reservation and still somehow maintain a possible human connection or emotional connection to a significant audience. Significant being more that yourself and/or a small core of cognoscenti who find it an interesting intellectual exercise.

It's been a while since I was up on the area but last time I looked people investigating human creativity were finding that most people were more creative when they started from more structured environments to begin with.

I wonder about this when I hear some musicians or composers go off the deep end to what starts to amount to random noise without regard to make any connection. Fun for them to play maybe, not fun to listen to.

[off soapbox]

#1019766 - 07/26/06 02:37 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mak you are right about the jazz thang too ;\)

If I play something really bad and someone notices (and mentions it \:\( ) I just tell 'em it was the jazz version

regards

#1019767 - 07/26/06 02:39 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Samurai

I am pretty sure you weren't comparing my piano playing to Jimi Hendrix and his guitar there

But, hey!...I'll pretend you were

Lee \:D

#1019768 - 07/26/06 02:43 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok i had my husband listen to it, and he said the first one was like overlooking a city late at night after a romantic dinner, and second one felt more like wayne newton(without voice) in vegas. he said there was difinitly different feels to them.

this is my husbands thoughts. at first he said if you were trying to play the first song it was off, i said i know but listen to it and accept it that way, he did and that was the responses he gave:) so he still got a feel out of it once he accepted it as ones own version.

#1019769 - 07/26/06 02:46 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Margareth Offline

Loc: Estonia
It's interesting that whenever I play popular music (from fake book, just improvising) for friends or at church or anywhere I don't get nervous at all because I know that even if I mess up I can recover very quickly because I know the scales very well and the chords in the scale-- so I just do whatever and get back on track - noone usually notices. But when I play classical I get more nervous and if I mess up I say - sorry (with a smile ) and then continue.
I love to play both though - they're just very different.

Seaside Lee - I have enjoyed your recordings! Thank you!

#1019770 - 07/26/06 02:54 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Funburger

I've got to come round to your house for dinner

Kids climbing walls, husband hears Wayne Newton in Vegas (without a voice ) and your off walking through Department stores .

Can't for the life of me imagine it would be boring ;\)

Thanks Margareth \:D

regards

#1019771 - 07/26/06 03:11 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by funburger:
wayne newton (without voice) in vegas.
We saw Wayne Newton in Vegas - decent show.

Oh this isn't about that. I know that.... I'm here to concur with Seaside - and for that matter, rocky. Sure, heaven forbid you hit a clinker... well - if you're smart and know what you're doing where you're taking the song, you can make it work for you. The trick is how to do that with grace. BTW: I'm still learning ... because I do freak out when I hit wrong notes.

Lee - unable to hear your stuff on PW... could you send email me... if not too much trouble.

Shar. \:\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1019772 - 07/26/06 03:22 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Shar? \:\)

Quote:
Lee - unable to hear your stuff on PW... could you send email me... if not too much trouble.

Omly if you know the secret password ;\)

#1019773 - 07/26/06 03:24 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok, ok, seaside, when you put it that way---we are crazy!!! you are right though never a dull moment!!!
and the whole wayne newton without a voice was meant to say wayne newtons music without his voice....you know on piano.... doesnt everyone go somewhere when they hear music or are we just really really nuts???
you really dont have to answer that one
:p

#1019774 - 07/26/06 03:28 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

nah you're just nuts \:D

#1019775 - 07/26/06 03:33 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Seaside_Lee:
Omly if you know the secret password ;\)
sexy? Is that the password? If not, now it is.

Waiting for my email! *whistling.. tapping my foot*..... la di da.... whistling.... ;\)

#1019776 - 07/26/06 03:40 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Personal note to Seaside_Lee.

Sorry so brazen, matey. Don't know what's come over me these past few days. Anyway, if you would please be so kind as to send me your stuff via email, I would be most grateful. Gracias! \:\)

#1019777 - 07/26/06 04:05 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Don't worry, I took it as funny \:D

The password was "Wayne Newton"

but sexy was close enough ;\)

#1019778 - 07/26/06 04:08 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
For those of you old enough to have heard of the Moody Blues, some years back (probably around 10) they did a few tours backed by local orchestras. I was a huge fan of their music, but I just *loved* listening to them, live, with an orchestra. It added whole new dimension to their music, which was well-suited for orchestral arrangements.

I remember reading some posts on a Moody Blues forum from some avid fans who were disappointed by these shows--I suppose they thought it diluted the music or something. I don't know.

Popular music is well-suited to improvising (Just look at fakebooks--basic chord progressions, melody, but the rest is up to the musician.), but it's the listeners who get uncomfortable by straying from the formula. It's too bad.

#1019779 - 07/26/06 04:17 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi markb

compare my music to the Moody Blues anytime you want ;\)

BTW I have just had the pleasure of listening to the Paul Anka "Rock Swings" album...and I loved the way he has taken modern songs, then sang them with the backing of an Orchestra and given them a swing feel.

Its very kool

regards

#1019780 - 07/26/06 04:21 PM Re: Popular music is flexible
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by markb:
For those of you old enough to have heard of the Moody Blues, some years back (probably around 10) they did a few tours backed by local orchestras. I was a huge fan of their music, but I just *loved* listening to them, live, with an orchestra. It added whole new dimension to their music, which was well-suited for orchestral arrangements.

I remember reading some posts on a Moody Blues forum from some avid fans who were disappointed by these shows--I suppose they thought it diluted the music or something. I don't know.[/b]
I believe it. I've heard musicians complain that they would love to "turn that guitar part on it's tail, but I can't because half the audience wouldn't get it." And then, they probably wouldn't come back to another show, and that's just sad...

Quote:
Popular music is well-suited to improvising (Just look at fakebooks--basic chord progressions, melody, but the rest is up to the musician.), but it's the listeners who get uncomfortable by straying from the formula. It's too bad. [/b]
It is too bad, because it puts limitations on musicians that shouldn't be.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (Anne'sson, accordeur, 36251, A Guy, 44 invisible), 1224 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157169 Topics
2308340 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
08/30/14 09:10 PM
Frederick Historical Concert Season - Fall 2014
by Terrytunes
08/30/14 08:44 PM
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
08/30/14 06:05 PM
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
08/30/14 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
08/30/14 04:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission