Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1019950 - 01/17/09 11:13 PM *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Who do you think is the best of the best.....of the best in the music world?. The absolute "master" of their instrument/s ?.

I am referring to a person only (musician) but just for kicks if you want to mention a vocalist, that's fine too.

While I am amazed at many performers talents, I'd have to say that the most accomplished musician I have ever heard is Pat Metheny (guitarist). What he is able to do on so many different types of guitars and custom made instruments is nothing short of unequalled.

(Argueably) the most talented vocalist I have heard is Charlotte Church, of course that's just my opinion.

Who would you say is the "best of the best" ?.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1019951 - 01/17/09 11:21 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Me,

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1019952 - 01/17/09 11:21 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Eva Cassidy - Female Vocals

Son House - Raw emotion channeled into performance

Otis Spann - a pianist's pianist

#1019953 - 01/17/09 11:53 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Dave123 Offline

Musical genius, how about composer?
Andrew LLoyd Webber

#1019954 - 01/18/09 12:03 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Vocalist and composer- Jon Anderson of YES

Pianist and Composer- Chick Corea

Guitarist and composer- Al Di Meola

This, of course, is speaking in "modern" terms. For all time greatest genius, I would have to give a tie to Chopin and Rachmaninoff

#1019955 - 01/18/09 07:08 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Solo composer, popular songs: Cole Porter (nobody even close)

Dual composers, popular songs: Rogers & Hammerstein (nobody even close)

Composer, classical: Mozart (an incredible output in terms of quantity and quality and he died at 36 - it simply staggers the mind to imagine what he would have accomplished had he lived to, say, the ave. age today of 77 or 78)!

Singers, opera: Pavarotti & Kiri Te Kanawa (nobody quite so good in their prime)

Singers, popular: Frank Sinatra & Ella Fitzgerald (and especially when singing Cole Porter!)

Pianists, concert: Rubinbstein maybe (who really knows - so many good ones and highly debatable - see the Pianist Corner Forum!)

Pianists, popular: Roger Williams, Peter Nero, Liberace, Charles B. Ancheta (musical director/conductor/pianist at the American Music Theatre in Lancaster, PA - a local favorite and my personal piano-hero!)

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1019956 - 01/18/09 08:05 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
Cellist - Yo-Yo Ma

Hurdy Gurdy - Nigel Eaton

Now wouldn't that make for an interesting duet.

#1019957 - 01/18/09 08:24 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Evaldas Offline

Loc: Vilnius
Composer - Yann Tiersen
Siger/Songwriter - Dido!

#1019958 - 01/18/09 09:34 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

LisztAddict - Pianist

#1019959 - 01/18/09 10:35 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Some of my choices:

Guitarist: Steve Vai.
Voice: Anna Netrebko
Violin: Nigel Kennedy
Live group: Muse

#1019960 - 01/18/09 10:42 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Paul McCartney:

The master songwriter,the master bassist, the master musical craftsman and artist. While not a technical virtuoso, he is (to me) the master musician because he creates what music is to me: the exquisite expression of a multitude of emotions.

#1019961 - 01/18/09 10:50 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
drfonta Offline

Loc: US Forces Korea
For popular music I vote for Prince for his composing and incredible creative abiltiy, along with his multi-instrumental talents. (though many people do not like his eccentricity, he is widely regarded by top musicians as a pioneer in music, and one of the best pop/funk guitarists of our time. Though much, but not all, of his content is rather simple, the way he blends various musical genres into his own "Minneapolis sound" and the way even simple rythms sound fresh is what puts him over the top). I also think Billy Joel is a pretty incredible pianist/songwriter.

I've seen many great instrumentalists in performance that can probably keep up with or play even better than many of the top acts in pop music, but being able to create the music to begin with is what I think is the mark of genius IMHO.

#1019962 - 01/18/09 11:20 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Actually, has anyone heard of the King's Singers?

Matt

#1019963 - 01/18/09 11:27 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:

Matt [/b]
... you bet! \:\)

#1019964 - 01/18/09 11:38 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
Solo composer, popular songs: Cole Porter (nobody even close)

Dual composers, popular songs: Rogers & Hammerstein (nobody even close)

Composer, classical: Mozart (an incredible output in terms of quantity and quality and he died at 36 - it simply staggers the mind to imagine what he would have accomplished had he lived to, say, the ave. age today of 77 or 78)!

Singers, opera: Pavarotti & Kiri Te Kanawa (nobody quite so good in their prime)

Singers, popular: Frank Sinatra & Ella Fitzgerald (and especially when singing Cole Porter!)

Pianists, concert: Rubinbstein maybe (who really knows - so many good ones and highly debatable - see the Pianist Corner Forum!)

Pianists, popular: Roger Williams, Peter Nero, Liberace, Charles B. Ancheta (musical director/conductor/pianist at the American Music Theatre in Lancaster, PA - a local favorite and my personal piano-hero!)

Regards, JF [/b]
John:

You nailed it!!

#1019965 - 01/18/09 12:05 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cruiser:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:

Matt [/b]
... you bet! \:\) [/b]
That Beethoven is amazing... \:D

Matt

#1019966 - 01/18/09 01:58 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Ken S. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I disagree that we can meaningfully say who is best in an artistic category (well, maybe Ella Fitzgerald), but certainly agree that everyone has identified greats. In John Frank's categories, I add Hoagy Carmichael to the 20th century popular music composer category and Oscar Peterson to popular piano.

Julia Thornton is a fine harp player, considered a prodigy as a child. Here she is playing Bach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZypD3QdIe8

#1019967 - 01/18/09 02:04 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't know very much about fancy pants classical players. The musical geniuses I grew up with would be Jimi Hendrix, Lennon and McCartney, Eric Clapton, Frank Zappa, and maybe Bob Dylan if you count lyrics as music. I also would include LisztAddict, Kawai Girl, and Seaside Lee, but Debussy20 stole some of that thunder.

#1019968 - 01/18/09 02:47 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Drums: Neil Peart

Guitar: Mark Knopfler

hmmm.... too many favorites for the "vocalist" and "piano" categories. Must dwell on this some more.

#1019969 - 01/18/09 03:04 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Mark Knopfler - Guitarist (electric). Fantastic soulful player and musician.

Steve Roach - Synthesizer. Sound artist. The absolute master in deep electronic atmospheric music.

#1019970 - 01/18/09 06:08 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Dave123 Offline

Sorry to go slightly off topic but here is one for the future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgGUfNopS2M&feature=channel
I can spend hours listening to him

#1019971 - 01/18/09 06:19 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
Vocalists - King Singers and Bryn Terfel.
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#1019972 - 01/18/09 07:20 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Best piano virtuoso = Franz Liszt.[/b] (period)

Best male pop singer = Johnny Mathis.[/b]

Best female pop singer = Celine Dion[/b]

Best operatic tenor, ever = Luciano Pavarotti
[/b]
Best Bel canto soprano, ever = Maria Callas[/b]

Best impressionistic pianist on Piano World and perhaps beyond, someday = our very own Theowne[/b]

#1019973 - 01/18/09 09:03 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Best pianist/humorist = Victor Borge

Best pianist/entertainer = Liberace

#1019974 - 01/18/09 10:31 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Male vocalist: Joe Williams

Female vocalist: Ella Fitzgerald

Guitar (electric): Eric Clapton

Guitar (acoustic): Joe Pass

Piano: Oscar Peterson

Most under appreciated composer: Benny Carter

Composer: Cole Porter

Vocal ensemble: The King's Singers

ABF recital participants: Liszt Addict, YD (tie)

flickr

#1019975 - 01/19/09 06:10 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Addendum to my previous list:

Jazz Group: Fourplay

Singer/Guitarist: George Benson

Vocal Group, male: The 4 Freshman

Vocal Group, female: The Andrew Sisters

Vocal Group, mixed: Manhatten Transfer

Best Broadway musical: Les Miserables

#1019976 - 01/19/09 06:51 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Bart Kinlein Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
 Quote:
Best Broadway musical: Les Miserables
Funny how differently we can appreciate various musical events. I happen to agree with the title of "Les Miserables" as that was how I felt during almost all of the performance (I saw the original Broadway production). But, of course, I know I'm in the minority and for those of you who enjoyed it, I'm happy for you.

My all-time favorite musical - Camelot - with Julie Andrews, Richard Burton and Roddy McDowall, as well as Robert Goulet in his first Broadway role.

May seem trite now, but back in the late 60s it was bigger than big! "The original cast album was America's top-selling LP for 60 weeks."

But maybe I'm the only one here old enough to have been there.

Nobody else like Frank and Ella!

#1019977 - 01/19/09 09:12 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Kinlein:

My all-time favorite musical - Camelot - with Julie Andrews, Richard Burton and Roddy McDowall, as well as Robert Goulet in his first Broadway role.

May seem trite now, but back in the late 60s it was bigger than big! "The original cast album was America's top-selling LP for 60 weeks."

But maybe I'm the only one here old enough to have been there.

Nobody else like Frank and Ella! [/b]
Bart - I also liked "Camelot", although I'm not sure if it would be one of those in my list of top ten Broadway musicals of all time - I think my second favorite was "A Chorus Line", which was as unique in it's own special way as was "Les Mis". I tend to judge musicals by both the quality and quantity of outstanding songs in them, and with that standard you could just about pick any Rogers & hammerstein production: "The Sound of Music", "The King & I', "South Pacific", "Oklahoma", etc.

And yes, Frank & Ella! (although Tony Bennett & Nancy Wilson were both so good for so many years!)

Regards, JF

#1019978 - 01/19/09 11:12 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Best percussionist: Animal from the Muppets. So wild they had to chain him down.

#1019979 - 01/19/09 11:49 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
Violin - Nigel Kennedy. Vitruouso grasp across classical, jazz and rock

Guitar - I agree with Monica that Mark Knopfler is right up there, especially as a finger picker and songwriter. Richie Blackmore always impressed me too.

Piano. So difficult. For Chopin and Grieg I loved Artur Rubenstein. But different pianists seem to "get" different composers. Horowitz had amazing technique.

Adrian

#1019980 - 01/19/09 12:38 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

You know, I think some people are putting down their *favorite* performers as opposed to *the best* in the category. I mean Bluekeys, do you really think that Muppet drummer is better than Neil Pert from Rush?. Call me crazy but I'm not sure if he's even real! .

Actually, to clarify, I still think Pat Metheny is the most *talented* guitarist (possibly ever), but when it comes to my *favorite* guitarist, that would be Mark Knopfler hands down.

Mark can literally turn a single note into a tune of it's own. Goosebump matterial!

Best "shredder" would go to buckethead. Yes, Buckethead!.

#1019981 - 01/19/09 12:45 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
 Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Best "shredder" would go to buckethead. Yes, Buckethead!. [/b]
Uses for a KFC bucket:
1) To eat chicken out of;
2) To turn upside-down and wear on head whilst playing guitar!

I've only heard a couple of tracks by the guy, but he is very good. 'Welcome to Bucketheadland' is awesome.

#1019982 - 01/19/09 01:04 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Guitarist - David Gilmour

#1019983 - 01/19/09 02:49 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
newpianoplayer Offline

Loc: CANADA
Male Vocalist - Stanislav Vitart

Female Pianist - Elina Kelebeev

Child Piano Genius = Rachel Su (sp?) yw1935 on youtube

#1019984 - 01/19/09 03:07 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
 Quote:
Call me crazy but I'm not sure if he's even real! [Eek!] .
what?? he's not real?? you're kidding, right?

Frank and Ella can't argue with those

and George Benson is one of my all time favourite Guitarist/singers too and Luther Vandross.

Piano/jazz piano? I really like Jamie Cullum and Michael Buble at the moment. Beegie Adair too but could add Oscar Peterson, Nat King Cole, Billy Joel, Elton John, Art Tatum to that list (heck there's so many geniuses! Ray Charles, Duke Ellington, Liberace ...aargh the list is endless!

Seaside_Lee as a musical genius? jeez bluekeys you need to get out more ;\) (the cheque (check) is in the post BTW )

Lee \:\)

#1019985 - 01/19/09 10:33 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by AJB:

Guitar - I agree with Monica that Mark Knopfler is right up there, especially as a finger picker and songwriter. Richie Blackmore always impressed me too.

[/b]
I opened this thread specifically to ensure this Knopfler fellow got his props. I see my work is done before it started.

I go now.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1019986 - 01/20/09 08:16 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

my favorite guitarist..Martin Taylor \:D

#1019987 - 01/20/09 10:34 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I don't like to pick favorites, but I just can't let this thread go by without someone nominating:

Miles Davis!!!

Recorded: Kind of Blue
Held develop hard bop and model jazz.
Took tunes no one in jazz played and made them standards (e.g., Someday My Prince Will Come, Bye Bye Blackbird, If I Were A Bell)
Brought into his band, when young and unknown, many of today's great jazz musicians: Coltrane, Chick Corea, Tony Williams, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, Ron Carter, Wayne Shorter,etc.

#1019988 - 01/20/09 11:12 AM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
Happy Birthday knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Miles Davis.

#1019989 - 01/20/09 07:45 PM Re: *Musical genius*, who would you put on the list?.
fbieler47 Offline

Loc: S.W. CT
piano---Oscar Peterson and Art Tatum
Vocal---Eva Cassidy, saw her last performance live excellent.
Harpo and Chico Marx for the ease of playing so you think you can do it too...
King Singers are wonderful when heard live
Chanticleer is great for a Capella

If you look deeply enough into someone's eyes you will find a place that, were you to go there, would break your heart in two.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (accordeur, Anticlock, ascc, 28 invisible), 1308 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295871 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
07/31/14 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission