Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1020006 - 05/06/06 10:03 AM help needed from you recording experts
Laura D Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
My husband got a laptop, and I have some hopes of being able to use it to record. But he got it for business use only, in other words no fancy sound card or anything, and I don't know how to tell where I might be able to plug in a microphone (I have your basic $10 type if that helps). There are two little 1/8" jack places beside each other--one has a little picture of headphones, and the other one has a little picture that looks like it could be a microphone. Is that what I want? I keep remembering people saying you can blow your sound card if you plug a microphone into the wrong place. Thanks for any help!

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1020007 - 05/06/06 11:33 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
When I tried a laptop recording a couple on months ago, I put it into the one with the microphone on it.

I'm under the impression that this socket is quite dangerous, so it cannot be emphasised enough that you should start with volume on 0 and slowly move it up until levels are good.

#1020008 - 05/06/06 11:43 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Laura D Offline

Where do I set the volume?

#1020009 - 05/06/06 12:45 PM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
 Quote:
Where do I set the volume?
Hi Laura, Euan was talking about if you plugged your keyboard directly into the mic jack - then you'd want to have the volume of the keyboard turned all the way down to prevent blowing out the sound card.

If you're using a dynamic microphone, then you don't need to worry about that because the mic jack was designed for such a mic. You can control the record level of the microphone, either from within your recording application or from the control panel applet.

#1020010 - 05/06/06 12:57 PM Re: help needed from you recording experts
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by Laura D:
My husband got a laptop, and I have some hopes of being able to use it to record. But he got it for business use only, in other words no fancy sound card or anything, and I don't know how to tell where I might be able to plug in a microphone (I have your basic $10 type if that helps). There are two little 1/8" jack places beside each other--one has a little picture of headphones, and the other one has a little picture that looks like it could be a microphone. Is that what I want? I keep remembering people saying you can blow your sound card if you plug a microphone into the wrong place. Thanks for any help!
Hi Laura.
You may want to purchase Voyetra sound program. You upload the program on your laptop and following the instruction. Voyetra comes with all the necessary plugs and instructions. Then you can download Anvil Studio onto the laptop as well. It's a bit of a process. I don't know how the mic fits into the picture (I would like to find that out for myself), but you get you started at least recording, I would purchase a recording package, such as Voyetra (at Radioshack or J&R Music & Computer World). Hope that helps. Good luck.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1020011 - 05/06/06 04:43 PM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Kam Offline

Loc: Canada
There are 2 different types of sound card: intergrated and dedicated. The formal comes with all computers and usually weak compared to dedicated cards. The little microphone jack is a place where u plug ur mic to the onboard (integrated) sound card. The latter only comes with the computer if u pay extra $$$. Those "fancy" (dedicated) sound cards improves a lot in processing sound info and supports higher resolution in recording. You can choose which to use between integrated and dedicated if u have a dedicated card such Sound Blaster.

In your case, you are using a onboard sound card, so u just need to plug ur mic into the mic jack.

Are u seeing a S/PDIF and a microphone jack?

I can help better if u can give a picture of ur laptop with the 2 little jacks u mentioned.

#1020012 - 05/07/06 12:36 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Laura D Offline

Quote:
You may want to purchase Voyetra sound program.
How is that different from Audacity?

#1020013 - 05/09/06 02:06 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Riggi Offline

Loc: Sydney
If you already have Audacity that will be fine for recording (as will a number of other free audio recording apps).

Depends what type of recording you want to do...

If it's just for your own reference to see what your playing is like it probably doesn't matter too much about the quality.

In which case the inbuilt mic socket and pre-amp might be ok.

If you want to produce decent quality recordings and put them on cd or post them on the net then you most likely would be better off getting a better soundcard than the inbuilt one.
And possibly a mic pre-amp to go with it (or a mixer with mic preamps built in).

The fact that you say you have a $10 mic suggests that the inbuilt mic socket and preamp in the laptop will be ok for your purposes.

Basically it all comes down to how much you want to spend and how much time and effort you want to put into the recording (do you want to edit it, add effects, make it sound more like a more "professional" recording).

You will be able to do basic editing in Audacity but if you want to produce a more professional sounding recording you might want to look at some other recording packages that let you apply effects etc.

If you want to spend some time and effort getting the recording to sound good you might want to check out www.audiominds.com.

Rich

#1020014 - 05/09/06 11:42 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

For the purposes of practicing and the recital, Audacity and the $10 mic will do just fine.

#1020015 - 05/09/06 12:26 PM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Laura D Offline

Bob,
Thanks for the reassurance! That is what I am going to do. Maybe someday when my playing is more beautiful, I will get better equipment. Right now that is the least of my worries!

We did get the laptop to at least *record* this morning. Then my husband took it off to work with him so that was that. Of course, I need to be working on this prom dress for my daughter for Friday...amazing how piano takes over all my priorities and everything else gets put off!

#1020016 - 05/09/06 07:57 PM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Arjen Offline

Loc: Groningen, Netherlands
Actually, spending a fortune on a professional soundcard and high-end audio programs is absolutely pointless unless you also invest in high quality mics and an audio-technician course. Miccing a piano is a very complex thing to do and I doubt most of us could make us of high quality equipment.

So just place the mic near the piano, make sure the volume ain't too high on the mic (you can't really damage your hardware but too high volumes can irrevirsibly ruin your recordings!) and just play.

#1020017 - 05/10/06 12:46 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
As far as recording software like the Voyetra mentioned, I got a Voyetra software kit for making recordings and it won't allow me to make cd's from the recordings without upgrading so be careful if you buy recording software, that it will allow recording onto cd. I like the software, except was dissapointed to find I can't put my recordings onto cd from it.

#1020018 - 05/10/06 04:06 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
If you're using a PC, you may already have an application such as Record Now loaded onto your computer. Record Now can be used to create music cd's. Do you have the documentation for your computer?

#1020019 - 05/10/06 06:38 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
Windows Media Player has the option to "Burn" CD's

#1020020 - 05/10/06 09:08 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Laura D Offline

Ok, I need more help. I can record into Audacity just fine, but the recording line (waveform) comes out almost flat, meaning it is very quiet. I have the recording volume set to max in the Mixer Toolbar. If I turn the computer speakers up full blast the recording sounds ok, but everything else would be way too loud. If I move the gain slider to the right, or use Amplify on the Effect menu, it gets louder, but there is lots of white noise.

So, is there some other setting I am missing? Or do I just need more and/or better equipment? I could probably spend $50 or so if that would help.

#1020021 - 05/10/06 09:13 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Laura, go to your control panel on Windows, click on audio devices, click on audio devices again, and then look for the volume setting for your microphone. It turns out that you have to adjust both volume settings (your mic on control panel, and the mic setting in audacity). Try setting both at the halfway position to start, but you might have to experiment with different values until you get a good recording.

#1020022 - 05/10/06 09:15 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Monica K. Offline

If you download Lame (available as a link through the audacity site), you can use audacity to convert your recording to an mp3 that you can then either upload on savefile or e-mail to Bob...that saves you the trouble of putting it on a CD and physically mailing it.

#1020023 - 05/10/06 09:37 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Laura D Offline

Monica,
I had/have both places set to maximum.

Do I need some sort of preamp? Not that I understand the hardware. Also, if I do, where then do I plug into the laptop, as it has no line in, only microphone in.

#1020024 - 05/10/06 09:43 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Monica K. Offline

Well, I'm stumped, Laura. One of the reasons I got the mic I did (a Samson USB) is that it stated explicitly that it didn't require a pre-amp, which leads me to believe that many basic microphones do. Or could it be that your $10 mic just doesn't hack it for recording music?

Good luck...

#1020025 - 05/10/06 10:31 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Laura, are you sure that the microphone is turned on? There may be a switch somewhere on the mic itself to turn it on. Make sure it's on.

Other than that, it should work well. A $10 mic should not require a pre-amp. There should be the word "dynamic" on the box it came in which indicates that it generates its own electricity and doesn't need a pre-amp.

Make sure the mic is plugged into the mic jack and not the line-in jack. The mic jack usually is pink in color and it has a small pictograph of a microphone next to it while the line-in jack has a bulls-eye with an arrow pointing to the center.

You can always buy a $30 dynamic mic from Radio Shack to see if it makes a difference and if it doesn't, you can take it back for a refund.

Make sure the mic is close to the piano.

#1020026 - 05/10/06 12:00 PM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Laura D Offline

Yes, the mic is close to the piano. And yes, it is turned on. If it is not turned on, it does not record at all. One of the first hurdles I overcame! Ok, I will try borrowing a better microphone and see if that helps. Thanks.

#1020027 - 05/10/06 07:25 PM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Riggi Offline

Another thing to check... most inbuilt soundcards have a check box in the sound card properties/mixer to add a 10 or 20dB boost to the mic signal.

Designed specifically for use with the type of basic stick microphone it sounds like you are using.

#1020028 - 05/11/06 10:22 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Starting Over Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Laura, I have the same problem exactly. Using my work laptop with Adobe Audition 2 and an inexpensive stick microphone I get a lot of hiss and noise with my recordings. No level adjustments in Audition or Windows seem to help.

I'm putting it down to a definciency in the microphone or the sound card.

I believe the solution is going to be more $$$.

Oh well...

#1020029 - 05/11/06 01:27 PM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Laura D Offline

Riggi and Bob,
Thanks! I tried a better ($40 Radio Shack) microphone, and the recording was still quiet. I found the check box to boost the mic, and that fixed it. I borrowed the microphone from my piano teacher, and while I was there, played through my sonatina program on her 7 ft Schimmel, figuring that her piano would sound better than mine, and besides I need to get in some practice time on her piano before the audition. Ugh, what a lot of mistakes! Plus I just had the microphone sitting on the piano, and it picked up lots of the mechanism noise, thunk thunk. Anyway, I will have something to submit for the recital if I look for a short bit with minimal mistakes, just in case I can't get a better recording at home tomorrow. I definitely need to get these pieces more secure. What an eye-opener!

Anyway, thanks again for all the help from everybody!

#1020030 - 05/11/06 07:45 PM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Riggi Offline

Glad to hear you have got the recording working.

I wouldn't sit the mic on the piano as it will pick up both vibrations from the piano transfered through the mic body as well as possibly some mechanical noise from the piano.

Place the mic a bit of a distance away (it really will be a case of trial and error and then remembering the position that sounds good so you can use that each time).

If you walk around the room whilst someone plays you will maybe find a spot that sounds better than others. Try there.

You don't listen to the piano with your ear pressed against it, so if you place the mic there it will probably not sound like the piano sound you are used to.

HTH,
Rich

#1020031 - 05/12/06 11:20 AM Re: help needed from you recording experts
Laura D Offline

I have a camera tripod set up with the microphone dangling from a rubber band. Pretty low-tech but should minimize vibration pickup. No idea where to place it other than near the piano. My ear isn't that good, I think.

I ended up going and buying a microphone like my teacher's. I looked at them a year ago and they were $40, but Radio Shack has discontinued that moddel (had to spell it wrong to get the word allowed!) and are selling them for $15. Pretty good deal! At least better than the $10 blister pack from WalMart.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
56 registered (ando, Bigvalbio, bennevis, Alex Hernandez, Atrys, Akshay, 13 invisible), 1086 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251182 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission