2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I always do, and insist that everyone else do the same before they lay hands on the keys.

My teacher doesn't ask her students to wash up, but she does wipe down the keyboard after each one leaves and before the next one plays.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
True story - I spent 20 years as a jazz pianist for a military big band. The piano in the rehearsal room was considered to be a 'public access' instrument (unlike the personal trumpets, saxes and trombones). Every day for those 20 years of rehearsals I would Windex the keys. I wouldn't dream of playing someone else's instrument but a piano is fair game.

I really hate oil or a film on any piano keys I play and always bring along Windex when I have to play an acoustic piano. If I'm using my own equipment, nobody touches it. I also have the same thing about the steering wheel on my car. I no longer care if anyone thinks this is compulsive or neurotic behavior. If you've ever used a public telephone or a computer keyboard at an internet café, you know what I'm talking about.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Aww, do I have to? My hands are already clean! Oh, man!!!! wink

Funny thing is that I almost always play just after I wash the dishes. My piano, however, is not in a publicly-accessible place.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Yes, I always wash my hands before I practice. And sometimes when I wasn't planning on practicing, I play just because I happened to wash my hands after doing something like washing dishes/cleaning house, scooping the litter box, etc.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Almost always. It's just that I rarely 'sit down and practice'. I'm doing several other things, and each time I pass by the piano, I plop down and run through my pieces once or twice, then get up and do something else.

My piano teacher insists that all of her students wash their hands before touching the piano. With up to ten different people a day playing it, a teacher's piano could very well become second-most active germ-exchange in town (after the day care center).

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My teacher doesn't insist on any hand washing before playing and I wish she would. Like Matt G and Sleepingcats I usually play after washing the dishes. My son is supposed to wash before playing, but sometimes I'll sit down and see slime on the keys. I usually just wipe down with a chamois.
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i don't usually do unless my hands are not clean and dry. but, to me, the important thing is actually a clean keyboard to start with (just like computer keyboard). i don't like to play on dirty and sticky keys.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Same as signa but I do ask the boys to wash before they practice. They always have dirty hands and like Jon I know they sometimes slip by because I find the results. The teacher doesn't ask them to wash before lessons but if we are just coming from school I will make sure he takes a quick trip to the bathroom first when we arrive to wash up.
I hate dirty/sticky keys too.

Cathy

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
When I visit my mother for more than a weekend, I usually get piano withdrawal syndrome; the cure most readily available to me there is the Kawai grand in her club. But...the keys are absolutely filthy! They are dingy with whiter spots where fingers have been. I've been pretty desperate for a practice to play this instrument! I can't believe the piano isn't better maintained. And I immediately wash my hands after playing it, telling myself over and over "don't touch your face!"

But I have a much rosier future ahead for withdrawal fixes. Mom's moving to a retirement community in November that has three Steinway grands -- 2 Ls and a B. And they are spotless! smile

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nope. Too lazy. And my piano has developed immunites to that sort of thing anyways.

now a resident of TNCR - www.coffee-room.com
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Yes!

I try to remember to wash my hands, but I often forget. It's not like my hands are very dirty, anyway. Plus, no one else uses my piano.

One thing I cannot stand is when people eat chips at the computer and grease up the keyboard and mouse.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Only if I've been ... oh, never mind.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Plays, you ought to take a little stash of moist wipes next time you go. Do them and yourself both a favor!

S
S
My teacher insists on his students washing their hands before they play. I do it just to warm up my hands.

Yes, and I hate it when the tuner comes!

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
To those who wash your hands, why do you do it? I can understand asking children to wash their hands before playing, but unless my hands are moist or sticky, I don't see the need. After 3 years, my piano does not seem the worse for wear. Is it a psychological aversion to germs or something? If anyone says it is because a sticky keyboard is a hinderance to playing, then I would say that their technique is probably questionable!

I do it every time out of respect for the instrument, basically. I'd like to keep the keyboard in as good a condition as possible. By the same token, I close the fall board after I'm done playing - I've got a bunch of cats and a dog, so pet hair is the one ubiquitous thing in my life.
You're saying a sticky keyboard is not a hinderance? WOW. I've never played on one, but if I did I think I would indeed find it a hinderance. How many recitals by professionals have I seen where they wipe the keyboard down with a cloth right before playing - maybe they've got an issue with sticky keyboards too.

I played it better at home.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
If I know I have been doing somethng slimy or dirty - yes. Otherwise I just check them out. However, when new piano comes I think that will change. I will require the kids to wash their hands before playing piano when I take my spinet to my classroom this year. One of the rules! I also make them wash their hands quite often before reading groups! laugh My hubbie says they are walking germ bags!

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission