Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1021085 - 09/11/06 12:03 PM Re: Tribute (song)
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I think I'll bump this on this day...

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1021086 - 09/11/06 03:32 PM Re: Tribute (song)
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Eternal:

Your points are well-taken.

It's too bad one has to go to the extreme. But I, like you and millions of others, don't see any alternatives.

In their way of thinking, they would go to heaven. So...still upsetting.

Kathleen

#1021087 - 09/11/06 04:16 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Piano Gal Offline

Loc: West US
"Their way of thinking"!!!!!!!!!! What about the idiotic act that our "president" did in the name of his "GOD"! We did the same thing to Iraq that Islams did to us. IN THE NAME OF!!!

President Bush, thinks "GOD TOLD HIM" to go and kill in Iraq. How can anyone be so ignorant to think that they did it to us, but WE are somehow different?????? Guess what, we did it too!!!!!

Pathetic double standards. Our leader united our enemies and divided our alies. The world was with us on on that dreadful day, but today, because of our country's actions on Iraq, the world is against us, as they should be!!!!

Pathetic

That was a beautiful song. Nice voice, nice lyrics. Great piano playing!

"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill

#1021088 - 09/11/06 05:56 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Thanks Piano Gal and thanks everyone for such great support. This has been a good discussion and I would hate to see it fall into a political debate. (That's why I kept my views pretty much to myself). I was hoping with the song to touch on that moment before we "took sides". We all know how heated it can get when we discuss this stuff.

Since I started this thread I would ask that for this thread at least (and this day) we just remember the way we all came together that first day, not in hatred but in shared love and anguish. I think there is a forum here at Piano world for political discussions and I'm betting the moderator would prefer that kind of stuff go on there and not here.

Again, thank you all, you really are a great bunch of people.

#1021089 - 09/11/06 06:28 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Piano Gal Offline

You're right Peyton...it's just so hard to have such deep feelings about things like this and keep them to myself. It's just wrong on so many levels.

I appreciate your song, it really was the highlight of my day. It warmed my heart...

-Sir Winston Churchill

#1021090 - 09/11/06 07:26 PM Re: Tribute (song)
4000 Post Club Member

Sorry Piano Gal:

You completely misread my thread.

I have no wish to get involved with the politics of anything because, quite frankly, they're all stupid and don't have an ounce of common sense.

But, when I said.... "In their way of thinking, they would go to heaven," I was referring to the terrorists' beliefs that when they kill Americans (just Americans, mind you), God smiles on them and it is a ticket to heaven because (as everyone knows) Americans are lazy slobs, money-grabbing pigs, and Godless slugs! We are evil, personified.

This is what they believe. I am not putting words in their mouths. That is why they are so willing to blow themselves up along with all those they hate. Including small children and babies!! Tell me...what kind of religion can teach such hate and what kind of mentality can believe it?

Yes, I know. Our country has taken a lot of lives, innocent ones. BUT not in the name of a God, and we sure don't think we're going to heaven because of it!

And you know what? I don't give a rat's ----- what other countries think of us.

No matter what we do, they hate us.

When we give them aid and assistance (while at the same time depriving those in our own country who need help), they hate us.

If we don't give them the help or assitance they think they need, they hate us.

The fault of our country is this: We ARE TOO DAM GENEROUS! There is no country in this world whose citizens are more charitable and giving. That is a fact. Look it up when you get a chance. Maybe you might gain a little more respect for your fellow-Americans.

If only one/tenth of the countries in this world paid us back just a portion of what they owe us we wouldn't have to depend on the resources of other lands for energy. We could find our own on our OWN soil. I'm talking way back since WWII..France, England, Germany to name a few). Mexico, when the value of their dollar went down the drain, we took money 25 billion dollars from Social Security (I'm talking about robbing our senior citizens of a just-above poverty level existence ) to help them out. Will we ever see any of that money repaid. Sure! Right!!

I was not in the greatest mood today to begin with. Your letter just set me off.

I am dedicating this to the people who lost their lives on 9/11 and to their families. God bless and keep them. Oh, and I should add: May God forgive them for being Americans.

Kathleen

#1021091 - 09/11/06 07:35 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Piano Gal Offline

Kathleen, if we gave them aid, why do they have to pay it back? Unless...we have alterior motives hum..

Something for nothing...not us!

Our country is responsible for taking many lives and in my lifetime I have seen it justified time and time again, as if we are better, and have the right to invade and take human lives of another country because they simply don't believe like us! What gives us the right to impose our beliefs on them as if we're the better race? I'll tell you who! It's the the same thing that gives them their rights to kills us "GOD"

Their God/our God. Keep ******* religion out of our government already. I listened to Bush this morning telling Matt Lauer that God gives him the the strength. I bet Osama feels the same.

Who the hell do we think we are justifying taking lives...

-Sir Winston Churchill

#1021092 - 09/11/06 07:42 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
 Quote:
How can anyone be so ignorant to think that they did it to us, but WE are somehow different?
Because "we" were responding to what has been done to us. Of course the world would love us more, if we simply pretended 9/11 didn't happen - and burried our heads in sand, but is that really the right message to send to the fanatics bent on hurting us? Bush does not cause terrorism - it's terrorism that "causes" Bush...

Our troops weren't killing innocent civilians while screaming "Allahu Akhbar" - in fact, everything in our power was done to avoid collateral damage.

I'm sorry, but comparing our response to the slaughter that took place on 9/11 is nothing more than giving sanction to the evil that caused it in the first place.

Only a "useful idiot" could watch the following, and still try to defend Islamofascists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ7Y_gBhzpc

#1021093 - 09/11/06 08:50 PM Re: Tribute (song)
4000 Post Club Member

I think I'm quite a bit older than you, PG, but I have NEVER ONCE heard anything like what you are reporting.

Never have I heard any justification that we thought we were better than other countries. Never. That's plain stupid. Many of our ancestors came from those other countries.

Or the justification that we are the better race. Just what race are you talking about?? Our country is the MELTING POT OF THE WORLD! Do you know the words written underneath the Statue of Liberty?? If not, you should read them.

Never have I heard any justification having to do with our not liking another country's religious beliefs. THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED ON FREEDOM OF RELIGION AS ONE OF THE BASIC RIGHTS.

I honestly think you must be living in another country because your arguements do not hold true for this one.

We've gone to war for several reasons. We've taken innocent lives (to our shame) for others, but never those you have mentioned.

Yes, I should have used the word "loans." Maybe what we were trying to buy is a little respect. How foolish we are if this is the case. Or perhaps we were helping a country try to provide its citizens with some basic necessities, like food and shelter.

America's heart has ALWAYS been in the right place. It's brain, maybe not. But we have always acted in the best interest and with concern for the safety and well-being of our citizens.

And you are going to condemn us for that? Tell me of another country that does not do the same?

You sound very angry with America. You might be happier living somewhere else. I could suggest a few countries that would welcome you with open arms. I think you'd fit right in.

Kathleen

#1021094 - 09/11/06 09:41 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Piano Gal Offline

Now you sound like Barbara Bush when Katrina hit, what did she say? Something like, "those people ought to be happy now since they have more now than they did before."

You can say anything you want, but I love my country, but absolutely despise the fundamental bullshit movement of our current government.

So what is it like Kathleen, if I'm not with them (conservative, fundamentals, that think they're god and can justify killing), then get out of our country? What you say obviously defines completely who you are: a closed minded, follower, that has convinced herself that what our so called leaders do is the right thing to do no matter what, even if it means taking lives! Call it what you want. I call it murder!

Go convince someone else of your idiotic, close minded, fundamental beliefs!

-Sir Winston Churchill

#1021095 - 09/11/06 10:00 PM Re: Tribute (song)
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Peyton eloquently and respectfully requested that we keep politics out of his thread. How about it?

Thanks!

#1021096 - 09/12/06 12:51 AM Re: Tribute (song)
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Well said markb.

Pianogal is not old enough to have shared memories of Winston Churchill's famous "blood, sweat and tears" prescription to stand up to and defeat the horror of the ruthless Nazi regime.

The sweet Churchillian quote was made in times of peace ... certainly not in the heat of battle.

Thanks again Peyton for perhaps the most fitting
and gentlest of tributes to 911 ... the benign words of a true statesman.

#1021097 - 09/12/06 09:42 AM Re: Tribute (song)
4000 Post Club Member

PG: I never wanted to get into character assassination, but since you opened the door, I will.

There's a saying that goes something like: You can't rationalize with a fool or argue with an idiot.

And on that note, I'll leave you to your warped, ignorant, and ungrateful attitude.

Kathleen

#1021098 - 09/13/06 12:44 PM Re: Tribute (song)
pianoga Offline

Loc: England
Never argue with an idiot, because people looking would not be able to tell who's the idiot.

Beautiful playing Peyton, there's something very true in the spirit of your playing, certainly well beyond politics!

Thanks! 5 years on, we are still struggling with it...

#1021099 - 09/13/06 01:23 PM Re: Tribute (song)
DenCato Offline

Loc: Belgium
REMOVED to avoid heated discussions \:\(

#1021100 - 09/13/06 01:41 PM Re: Tribute (song)
gilad Offline

Loc: south africa
NO politics from me, even though politics is my number one life interest.
Very touching song Peyton, it reminds me a lot of pink floys album The Final Cut.
Actually Pink Floyd have nothing on you. ;\)

One thing I will say, is that conflict is as natural as life itself.

There will never be peace, so long as there is life.

The saddest reality I have had to face up to until now.

Remember the hour that reshaped the world.
Not a day goes by that I do not wake up and recall it. All those precious people.

Great tribute Peyton.

#1021101 - 09/13/06 02:30 PM Re: Tribute (song)
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Very nice Peyton! \:\)
Thanks for sharing that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnotherSchmoe

#1021102 - 09/13/06 07:24 PM Re: Tribute (song)
karaeloko Offline

Loc: back in PTY
My dad once told me: "Never argue religion or politics".

I don't mean any disrespect to the people involved in the argument. I just wanted us all to remember the rule of thumb.

#1021103 - 09/13/06 07:29 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Rick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Piano Gal, that's one of the silliest (nicest term I could come up with right now) things I've ever seen posted here:

Quote:
What gives us the right to impose our beliefs on them as if we're the better race? I'll tell you who! It's the the same thing that gives them their rights to kills us "GOD"
If anything, as I remember Dennis Miller (who's not very religious) saying on his show a couple years ago, we might need to "find ourselves a God" here in America, and quick. Because I'm not sure we can beat these radical jihadist monsters (who want to kill you, your family and your friends - liberal ones too) with the unity/causes that we currently have. As incredible a concept as it is, freedom just doesn't have the kind of rallying cry or pull that radical Islam does when it gets its brainwashing fingers on millions of young minds. In short, this enemy is going to be very, very difficult to beat this century, especially as soft as most of Europe and the U.S. has become (or "sensitive", if you will).

What gives you any indication at all that God is somehow governing our actions in America? Gheez! Oh, and don't use that "gives me strength" line, as if it's a bad thing or crazy or something. Look at your enemy for Pete's sake. That's where you'll find a radical bunch of head-sawer-offers that are motivated to these very actions by their god. Thanks for listening.

Rick

#1021104 - 09/13/06 09:39 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Piano Gal Offline

Rick, I don't believe in God and "it" doesn't give me strength. I think that our country focuses too much on religion when it comes to government. We are the "enemy", their enemy. We've killed, raped, tortured, and yet people like you turn the other way and call it something different. Why can't you see, we're just like them?

I've received many private e-mails on this forum supporting my position. I had to copy a quote from one that said it better than I could have.

From private e-mail:

"What can I say - only in America can you blatantly rape people and get re-elected for a second term - so long as they can keep a good chunk of Americans in the fantasy that America is the indisputable paradise on Earth in which only people who think that way should live."

-Sir Winston Churchill

#1021105 - 09/13/06 10:07 PM Re: Tribute (song)
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Peyton:
Since I started this thread I would ask that for this thread at least (and this day) we just remember the way we all came together that first day, not in hatred but in shared love and anguish. I think there is a forum here at Piano world for political discussions and I'm betting the moderator would prefer that kind of stuff go on there and not here.

Again, thank you all, you really are a great bunch of people. [/b]
Peyton - loved your song and your sentiment. Too bad your thread continues to go south. Perhaps you can get it locked or deleted.

You have my admiration for your skills at the keyboard and composing.

#1021106 - 09/14/06 01:16 AM Re: Tribute (song)
Rick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
That email you referred to PianoGal is just nonsense. When did we rape or torture anybody? What are you talking about? Not those Naked Twister games with Lindy England I hope. That doesn't quite make the cut, don't you agree? I guess you've not heard that the terrorists in Iraqi prisons (just handed over to Iraqi officials) are already begging to "bring the Americans back". You wanna talk rape, well...you're looking in the wrong part of the world Miss, and probably the wrong time too. You know what Saddam's "worse" son did, don't you. It involved young school girls, a limousine, his servants interrupting classes...the usual I suppose, for him anyway.

People like you make it so much easier on the jihadist fascists. Why do you do that? Haven't you noticed that they want to kill you in horrible ways? They care about none of the things that you most likely care about. "Piano schmiano...burn 'em. Who needs 'em. Who needs to create anything beautiful anyway? That's sacrilege. Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart...all Jesus-lovers, and even Chopin took the cross at the end....ban 'em!! There's only one book we need, and one purpose in life". That's my best Islamic radical imitation. Need more practice, I know. But please, watch out for that thousand-pound gorilla right there!

Rick

#1021107 - 09/14/06 04:09 AM Re: Tribute (song)
DenCato Offline

Loc: Belgium
Please lets stop this endless discussion ... because endless it will be (unless a moderator locks it ;\) )

The nice thing about something as wonderfull as a piano is that it can unite people of other beliefs and races and it can make them set their differences aside.

Let's please keep it that way and if the urge is to strong, try a private message ... please ... pretty please ...

#1021108 - 09/14/06 10:41 AM Re: Tribute (song)
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Austin, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by Peyton:

Again, thank you all, you really are a great bunch of people. [/b]
What is it about this statement that you people don't understand? Get over yourselves and stop it. PM each other if you really feel the need to spew about this topic. Have some self-control people.

#1021109 - 09/14/06 10:50 AM Re: Tribute (song)
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Uh oh, SAS is getting mad. And believe you me, you *don't* want SAS to get mad.

#1021110 - 09/14/06 01:52 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Piano Gal Offline

Why, what will happen if SAS gets mad?

-Sir Winston Churchill

#1021111 - 09/14/06 01:55 PM Re: Tribute (song)
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Oh, you don't want to know!

#1021112 - 09/14/06 01:58 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Piano Gal Offline

Okey Dokey I am kind of curious though.

-Sir Winston Churchill

#1021113 - 09/14/06 02:19 PM Re: Tribute (song)
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

There was a PW member named "luckydude." He made SAS mad. We never heard from him again.

Then there was "daisy." She also angered SAS and mysteriously disappeared.

As did "madhatter," "bones," "pianomonster," "keyman," among many others. All of them crossed SAS. All of them--gone.

#1021114 - 09/14/06 02:36 PM Re: Tribute (song)
Piano Gal Offline

Oh my goodness. You mean he could kick us off this site? Who is this guy SAS?

-Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Getting back into it
by Upside
09/16/14 03:32 PM
In search of my piano name Brand
by Leoni
09/16/14 03:05 PM
"Black Widow" - Iggy Azalea
by Zach Evans
09/16/14 02:13 PM
Advice Digital Piano < 800 GPB
by Altair
09/16/14 02:09 PM
MIDI to USB adapters?
by Mark NM
09/16/14 12:32 PM
Who's Online
164 registered (accordeur, 255, AEMontoya, 44 invisible), 1511 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157565 Topics
2314379 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission