2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1021075 09/07/06 02:25 PM
T
T
Peyton, you are a wonderful singer, a story teller, and you have wonderful skill of a great folk song likeness..
Keep singing and sharing your songs, they are wonderful and the piano that went with it was just so right..
I can only imagine if you worked with others how much your skills would improve.

Thank you for sharing this, its exactly how we where that day too.

I will never forget that day, I took my son to the doctor it was around 9:30ish. He was seen quickly and we where only a 5 minute drive back to work but I stopped at my usual stop a convientant store close to the daycare I worked at. I was coming out of the convientant store when a man came rushing through the door past me expressing "Another plane just hit the trade center!" as he ran to the counter where the cash register and clerk was, he threw his arms up in the air, slamming them back down on the counter top saying "Havent you heard? The World Trade Center has been hit in New York and another just hit? Its terrible, oh my God..." the rest of what I was hearing was in a blur and I dumbfoundly walked with my baby boy to the car in shock. I remember looking into my sons face he was so miserable with his cold and flu symptoms. I was tired myself from all of the medicines, his reactions, the terrible diaper rashes and constantly always catching the colds that went around... I drove to my job, (a daycare) with the radio on, the broadcasters where telling the horrific news. I gave my boss a doctors note for me to go home with my son cause he was really sick as kids in daycare get all the time. Then I drove straight home where I turned on the tv. The tv was set with the news on and it stayed on for 2 weeks there after. I may have only worked a few more days the following week after this day before I had enough of a job that was making my son so sick with sinus and ear infections... I couldnt see a future in a daycare business, a place that herds kids in like cows... Kids need one on one attention in all their life growing up. Keeping them together with so many hands and germs all festering can not be good for anyones health, yet sick or not people take for granted the care that is provided...sending sick kids to daycares or school anyways so they can go to work or not be bothered with caring for them theirself.

I knew in my heart that 9/11 was the biggest disaster for others that I had never met, but my heart ached for them.

It was a sign for me to realize I should do what was best for my childs health and my own as well as others. I wanted to carry out a memory of people I didnt know with a message to others that life is to short to waste time in places where you dont want to be or the people dont care and they are not thinking about others in the respect that they should stay at home when they are sick so they wont spread the germs to others only making the flu season last that much longer.... .

I home school my children for that very reason so every year the cold and flu seasons come around we may be sick for a little while but we can get rid of it within a week or two without it ever coming back... If I send my kids to a public school I believe it would only be terrible for their health. We stay at home when we are sick the full length that the symptoms occur.. I would feel bad if someone got sick all because I went to the store and sneezed on a grocery cart. I would really feel bad if it was such a cold that could be the cause of a life threat or death for a elderly person, a baby, or anyone else for that matter..

This is my answer to the question that loveschopintoomuch asked...
This gets me so nerved up....
I get so mad when people are out in public complaining about their symptons as well as they are coughing and sneezing with the flu symptoms...
Or people are simply complaining about how they dont feel well yet they are still going to work.
People complain all the time without realizing that they have a choice to make.

A choice like the people that went to work that day in the New York. The people that lost thier lives they didnt choose to die, yet they chose thier job..
There are people that became heroes that did so much more than I ever have done in my intire life. They chose to be there too and they never once complained. Probably didnt realize the long term damages either. In fact there where strangers helping strangers because its the human things to do..

The job needed to be done, there where lives to be saved, souls to be put at rest, hearts to mend, along with restoring what was lost. No one knows when a disaster likes this is going to happen but in our soul and spirit we know what is right for ourself and will go the path that is intended even when it seems wrong or brings on something not feeling right...

I just hope my point is clear that I am trying to make and it doesnt offend anyone nor hurt them. Its true though. Its all about this, we choose to to the things we do and if your complaining then it must not be right you dont have to stay where you are.. Life is to short for complaining about something if you are not happy or you are unhealthy.. Live as though it was your last day to live everyday. Make your choice be the one that you can live with without bringing someone else down. We are lucky that we are survivors...Think about others and put yourself in someone elses shoes.

People put their life at risk to go to work so that someone in need can be saved everyday. Jobs that can save another can be as simple as a clerk in a convientant store, a daycare teacher, a nurse, a doctor, lawyer, grocery store stocker, bus driver,taxi driver, banker, secretary, pc programmer, photographer, news editor, firefighter, police, clerk of court, judge, mechanic, garbage man, scientists, professors, administrators, there are so many jobs I can not name them all..

Even though the choice is there, I bet no one was complaining the day of 9/11 and if they where they probably didnt realize just how short life can be or how lucky they really are..

***The complainer probably is still somewhere complaining and not thinking about their choices and actions thay make affect others who sacrifice just as much as anyone else or to what they do in this life too.****

I myself really should have nothing to complain about daycare business in this way.. I am not really, I am telling my story about the choice I made to change what I knew was right and wrong for me.

I am sure that others did the same that day of 9/11.. I remember watching a documentary where someone was saying they should of been on one of the planes or it was that they should of been on the floor that the planes hit...

I learned a lot that day about myself and from reading what others wrote about or the simple fact that others should already know...
Choice is our freedom to live no matter what your beliefs are or your religion is.. ...

Peace!
#1021076 09/07/06 08:02 PM
Peyton: Your song made me cry. It brought back those haunting and horrific memories of that awful day. frown Your song was so beautiful and your voice was also beautiful. Thank you for sending it to us. We all need to reflect on one of the horrendous days in our nations history.
  • NEVER AGAIN! mad

#1021077 09/08/06 01:43 AM
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Top marks Peyton ... we are toally enchanted by the poetic simplicity and absence of anger of your endearing 911 tribute ... your high (and much admired) sensitivity to human suffering could hardly be better expressed. A copy of this poem should be valued by the White House ... to calm any incentive to wreak vengeance.

Bringing to mind the same gentleness of outlook, I might tell you that I have been extraordinarily fortunate to have met Nelson Mandela on two occasions (preparing his State residences) ... he is the miracle that saved South Africa from racial strife ... his secret, in spite of 27 years incarceration, is to always concentrate on a win-win solution to any problem ... his famous saying reads "When you negotiate you must be prepared to compromise". Will we ever learn?

#1021078 09/08/06 07:16 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I'm just confused by btb's last sentence.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
#1021079 09/09/06 03:15 AM
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Kathleen,
You wonder what "will we ever learn?" means. May I paint a picture of my take on the cruel day 911 and subsequent thoughts.

SA time is 7 hours ahead of New York so the chance viewing of 911 on TV at the time came as a supefying act of insanity. Forgive us who are not as close to the human tragedy as you in the US for seeing things slightly more objectively ... first the thought of an incredible bizarre aircraft accident ... but, while glued to the screen, and frantically trying to mentally assist those on the upper floors to escape ... the second aircraft slamming into the second tower told the bitter story of terrorist madmen with such hate for the US ... that they were prepared to give up their lives in defiance ... the enormity of the suicide 4-plan mission led to only one author ... it had to be of Moslem origin ... and all this while anxiously watching the brave NY firemen racing against time to save the frantic flight from the inferno on the upper floors of the Tade Centre ... what
selfless courage!!

It is now 5 years on and we are able to reflect with a little less emotion ... we have smashed suspects in Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine and Lebanon but they keep coming back and attacking our lifestyle ... but what is more to the point is that we are dealing with particular religious zealots who believe in suicide Paradise prizes for
blowing oneself up with innocents.

In trying to discover a solution to the impasse ... my mind went to the saintly example of Nelson Mandela ... thus the quote which spearheaded his mighty influence in taming the racial firebrands that could so easily have torn SA to pieces 12 years ago ... "when you negotiate you must be prepared to compromise".

But he added:

"Concessions are inherent in negotiations.
It is difficult to negotiate with those who do not share the same frame of reference.
When you negotiate you have to accept the integrity of another man."

That's why I added ... in view of the present global turmoil ... "will we ever learn".

God Bless America.

#1021080 09/09/06 10:57 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Peyton:

Thanks so much for sharing this song. Share some more, OK? I like how your use of the background synth/strings was never too much or overused.

-angelojf

#1021081 09/09/06 11:40 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, btb, for responding with your usual eloquence and insight.

I could not agree with you more. It's hopeless to try to negotiate with people who believe their sacrifice will provide them a ticket to heaven (or whatever they call it...I'm sorry, don't mean to be flip).

Some time ago, I read the outrageous statement by some militant or religious group that the people who lost their lives on that horrendous day were not victims at all. But instead, they respresented the true essence of America...greed, power-hungry, Godless, etc. So, they "got what they deserved."

Just this morning on the Today Show, it was reported that more Americans feel emotionally saddened by the events of 9/11 today than they did just a year after the atrocity. Perhaps it took time for it all to sink in.

Just as the Jewish people believe it is so important to remember the Holocaust, for if we don't, we are bound to repeat it. I share this view.

I'm sorry. I'm rambling. I don't have a clue on what it will take for the whole world to find peace one day. I personally think that day will never come. God help us all.

My heart breaks for ALL the innocent victims...both at home and in foreign lands.

Kathleen

#1021082 09/09/06 02:23 PM
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks Kathleen,

But aren't we lucky to have Peyton in our Chopin 55.1 group.

#1021083 09/09/06 07:25 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Yes, indeed!!

Kathleen

#1021084 09/10/06 10:27 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great playing Peyton!

I'm sorry. I'm rambling. I don't have a clue on what it will take for the whole world to find peace one day. I personally think that day will never come. God help us all.
I witnessed the towers collapsing from my appartment's window. It made me feel helpless, sad and angry at the same time.
Will the world see peace one day? It will, IF two conditions are met.

First - we need complete secularization of all governments. The more separation between the state and the church the better. There is only one way to argue with religious fanatics - you kill them. There is no other method - by accepting the irrational, they no longer respond to reason.

The second condition for the world peace, which is just as important, is discovering better energy sources. Fusion power certainly comes to mind. This is needed, because even if we do get rid of the irrational from the diplomacy, there will definitely arise conflicts over energy resources as they become more scarce.

If there was plenty of cheap energy available for everyone to use, the US would no longer need to worry about the Middle East oil - and we could leave them be in their 10th century beliefs... Which is exactly what's going to happen once the Oil Age comes to an end.

#1021085 09/11/06 12:03 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think I'll bump this on this day...

#1021086 09/11/06 03:32 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Eternal:

Your points are well-taken.

It's too bad one has to go to the extreme. But I, like you and millions of others, don't see any alternatives.

In their way of thinking, they would go to heaven. So...still upsetting.

Kathleen

#1021087 09/11/06 04:16 PM
"Their way of thinking"!!!!!!!!!! What about the idiotic act that our "president" did in the name of his "GOD"! We did the same thing to Iraq that Islams did to us. IN THE NAME OF!!!

President Bush, thinks "GOD TOLD HIM" to go and kill in Iraq. How can anyone be so ignorant to think that they did it to us, but WE are somehow different?????? Guess what, we did it too!!!!!

Pathetic double standards. Our leader united our enemies and divided our alies. The world was with us on on that dreadful day, but today, because of our country's actions on Iraq, the world is against us, as they should be!!!!

Pathetic

mad :b:

That was a beautiful song. Nice voice, nice lyrics. Great piano playing!

"Play from the heart, practice from the head"

"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill
#1021088 09/11/06 05:56 PM
Peyton Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Piano Gal and thanks everyone for such great support. This has been a good discussion and I would hate to see it fall into a political debate. (That's why I kept my views pretty much to myself). I was hoping with the song to touch on that moment before we "took sides". We all know how heated it can get when we discuss this stuff.

Since I started this thread I would ask that for this thread at least (and this day) we just remember the way we all came together that first day, not in hatred but in shared love and anguish. I think there is a forum here at Piano world for political discussions and I'm betting the moderator would prefer that kind of stuff go on there and not here.

Again, thank you all, you really are a great bunch of people.

#1021089 09/11/06 06:28 PM
You're right Peyton...it's just so hard to have such deep feelings about things like this and keep them to myself. It's just wrong on so many levels.

I appreciate your song, it really was the highlight of my day. It warmed my heart... heart

-Sir Winston Churchill
#1021090 09/11/06 07:26 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Sorry Piano Gal:

You completely misread my thread.

I have no wish to get involved with the politics of anything because, quite frankly, they're all stupid and don't have an ounce of common sense.

But, when I said.... "In their way of thinking, they would go to heaven," I was referring to the terrorists' beliefs that when they kill Americans (just Americans, mind you), God smiles on them and it is a ticket to heaven because (as everyone knows) Americans are lazy slobs, money-grabbing pigs, and Godless slugs! We are evil, personified.

This is what they believe. I am not putting words in their mouths. That is why they are so willing to blow themselves up along with all those they hate. Including small children and babies!! Tell me...what kind of religion can teach such hate and what kind of mentality can believe it?

Yes, I know. Our country has taken a lot of lives, innocent ones. BUT not in the name of a God, and we sure don't think we're going to heaven because of it!

And you know what? I don't give a rat's ----- what other countries think of us.

No matter what we do, they hate us.

When we give them aid and assistance (while at the same time depriving those in our own country who need help), they hate us.

If we don't give them the help or assitance they think they need, they hate us.

The fault of our country is this: We ARE TOO DAM GENEROUS! There is no country in this world whose citizens are more charitable and giving. That is a fact. Look it up when you get a chance. Maybe you might gain a little more respect for your fellow-Americans.

If only one/tenth of the countries in this world paid us back just a portion of what they owe us we wouldn't have to depend on the resources of other lands for energy. We could find our own on our OWN soil. I'm talking way back since WWII..France, England, Germany to name a few). Mexico, when the value of their dollar went down the drain, we took money 25 billion dollars from Social Security (I'm talking about robbing our senior citizens of a just-above poverty level existence ) to help them out. Will we ever see any of that money repaid. Sure! Right!!

I was not in the greatest mood today to begin with. Your letter just set me off.

I am dedicating this to the people who lost their lives on 9/11 and to their families. God bless and keep them. Oh, and I should add: May God forgive them for being Americans.

Kathleen

#1021091 09/11/06 07:35 PM
Kathleen, if we gave them aid, why do they have to pay it back? Unless...we have alterior motives hum.. eek

Something for nothing...not us!

Our country is responsible for taking many lives and in my lifetime I have seen it justified time and time again, as if we are better, and have the right to invade and take human lives of another country because they simply don't believe like us! What gives us the right to impose our beliefs on them as if we're the better race? I'll tell you who! It's the the same thing that gives them their rights to kills us "GOD"

Their God/our God. Keep ******* religion out of our government already. I listened to Bush this morning telling Matt Lauer that God gives him the the strength. I bet Osama feels the same.

Who the heck do we think we are justifying taking lives...

mad

-Sir Winston Churchill
#1021092 09/11/06 07:42 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How can anyone be so ignorant to think that they did it to us, but WE are somehow different?
Because "we" were responding to what has been done to us. Of course the world would love us more, if we simply pretended 9/11 didn't happen - and burried our heads in sand, but is that really the right message to send to the fanatics bent on hurting us? Bush does not cause terrorism - it's terrorism that "causes" Bush...

Our troops weren't killing innocent civilians while screaming "Allahu Akhbar" - in fact, everything in our power was done to avoid collateral damage.

I'm sorry, but comparing our response to the slaughter that took place on 9/11 is nothing more than giving sanction to the evil that caused it in the first place.

Only a "useful idiot" could watch the following, and still try to defend Islamofascists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ7Y_gBhzpc

#1021093 09/11/06 08:50 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I think I'm quite a bit older than you, PG, but I have NEVER ONCE heard anything like what you are reporting.

Never have I heard any justification that we thought we were better than other countries. Never. That's plain stupid. Many of our ancestors came from those other countries.

Or the justification that we are the better race. Just what race are you talking about?? Our country is the MELTING POT OF THE WORLD! Do you know the words written underneath the Statue of Liberty?? If not, you should read them.

Never have I heard any justification having to do with our not liking another country's religious beliefs. THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED ON FREEDOM OF RELIGION AS ONE OF THE BASIC RIGHTS.

I honestly think you must be living in another country because your arguements do not hold true for this one.

We've gone to war for several reasons. We've taken innocent lives (to our shame) for others, but never those you have mentioned.

Yes, I should have used the word "loans." Maybe what we were trying to buy is a little respect. How foolish we are if this is the case. Or perhaps we were helping a country try to provide its citizens with some basic necessities, like food and shelter.

America's heart has ALWAYS been in the right place. It's brain, maybe not. But we have always acted in the best interest and with concern for the safety and well-being of our citizens.

And you are going to condemn us for that? Tell me of another country that does not do the same?

You sound very angry with America. You might be happier living somewhere else. I could suggest a few countries that would welcome you with open arms. I think you'd fit right in.

Kathleen

#1021094 09/11/06 09:41 PM
bah Now you sound like Barbara Bush when Katrina hit, what did she say? Something like, "those people ought to be happy now since they have more now than they did before."

You can say anything you want, but I love my country, but absolutely despise the fundamental bullshit movement of our current government.

So what is it like Kathleen, if I'm not with them (conservative, fundamentals, that think they're god and can justify killing), then get out of our country? What you say obviously defines completely who you are: a closed minded, follower, that has convinced herself that what our so called leaders do is the right thing to do no matter what, even if it means taking lives! Call it what you want. I call it murder!

Go convince someone else of your idiotic, close minded, fundamental beliefs! smokin

-Sir Winston Churchill
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission