2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 8 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Strange type of question I know but allow me to try to explain.

I can sight read (although very slowly) but then my brain just kind of takes over. I mean it's not photographic (that I know of) but once I've seen/ looked at things once or twice it kind of just "sinks in".

When learning pieces I find my brain memorizing where I'm supposed to be so I am sight reading less & less. As an example (5.5mths in) I had my recital piece memorized which was a 5.5min song (5 pages) long.

As I go over stuff in my books and lessons I find that with practicing the pieces over and over it then just sinks in and I no longer need to read the notes. I do enjoy sight reading some pieces but for the most part its just going off memory. I don't think there is much I can do to "change" my memory but wanted to see what others with the same type of brain (I know I'm not the only one) do about it.. laugh

cool

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Obviously, it's good to be able to do sight reading and memorization. Even thought sight reading can help you play a piece the first time through I think it can also be a crutch that is used as well. How many videos have you seen with clumsy page turning?

Of course, it's a two way street. My good memory is used instead of learning to sight read. I guess I'll just have to be happy in the mean time with exercising my memory.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't know if it's "good" or not, but you are definitely not the only person who does it. I end up memorizing just about everything I ever play, and if I play it at least once a week it will stay memorized.

The downside is that you can have errors creep in if you're not looking at the music and not realize you're making the errors. To me that is outweighed considerably by the advantage of being able to play something anytime, anywhere, and not being tied to the sheet music.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
you know that memorization is a requirement for performing pianists, which is not for no reason.

actually, if you practice something long enough, you would memorize it. also, muscle memory will be in place once you learned the piece, whether or not you're still reading music while playing it. so we need to live with both skills, none of which is bad.

at the beginner stage, once i memorized a piece, i cannot read the score while playing it. but things changed for me now (thanks to my teacher), as i have improved reading skill and can read notes even when i've memorized a piece, like many intermediate and advanced players. along the way, you'd also learn to do both.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by signa:
you know that memorization is a requirement for performing pianists, which is not for no reason.
I thought it was because Liszt did it. eek

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My current opinion (and please note my opinion changes regularly :rolleyes: ) is that you shouldn't memorize a piece until late in the learning process. Even if you can't help but memorize due to repetition, you should continue reading off the page and minimize looking at your hands until the piece is nearly finished. That way you end up with the option of playing from the page or memory, so if you don't play it for a few weeks or months, you can still read it and get a decent play within a few tries. It takes much longer to re-learn if you only have it memorized and can't read it.

I've also found it's very easy to memorize a piece I can play well off the page, but almost impossible to read while playing a piece learned solely by memorization.

Page turning is an issue, but it can be dealt with thru practice and/or technology (e.g. flat screen monitors and foot switches). Besides, once you can play a piece both ways, you should be able to play from memory in "performance" situations and only read during practice.

I have found that it takes me longer to learn a piece by reading than memorizing, mostly because it takes longer to learn the motions without looking at the keys, but the benefits are worth the additional time.

I have been focusing on my sight reading skills for a while. Since they have improved I am now able to play the pieces (slowly) without *needing* to memorize them, so I don't. The effect is that the pieces are memorized considerably quicker than before and I can throw away the pages if I wish to. I usually keep it in front of me, though, to avoid internalizing mistakes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I also memorize quickly and automatically without much conscious effort. Unfortunately, I sometimes get a note or a rhythm wrong and find that it's already in memory before my teacher points out the error. Then I have to relearn and rememorize and that is sometimes harder than the first time.

It is also true that, while I memorize the notes and fingering quickly, I don't have the same quick memory of the other things in the score like dynamics and articulation. So, my rule is to ALWAYS practice with the music in front of me and to make myself really LOOK at the music to try to see everything that's there and not just the notes. This doesn't stop me from memorizing quickly but it helps to keep double-checking with the actual score.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
Originally posted by DragonPianoPlayer:
[b] you know that memorization is a requirement for performing pianists, which is not for no reason.
I thought it was because Liszt did it. eek [/b]
I thought I saw a few words floating around that Clara Schumann started this tradition. Maybe somebody knows for sure?

Kawai K-3 (2008)
It seems I have the same issue. I'm not trying to memorize, but I think the repetition from practice just puts pieces into memory. I do have a very difficult time reading the piece once it is memorized. For example, I especially find it challenging to "read" several of the Bach 2 part inventions that I've recently learned, but seem to play it smoothly without the music. While I think it is predominantly muscle memory that I am relying upon, I find older pieces are pretty secure in memory and that reading them requires a significant amount of effort.

I will try what Paul suggested about really LOOKING at the music as I play and learn new pieces.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
I memorise, otherwise I wouldn't enjoy playing because what you would hear is a stuttered version of the piece. frown

Pianist Magazine did an article recently. They are pro-memorisation. It talks about Hands-separate as being a valuable tool also.
I can usually do this but tend to forget the HS afterwards as I stop doing it once my HT is working well enough.

Interesting quotes from it.......

"In the process of learning a piece, committing it to memory signifies moving to a higher level in mastering it."

"If you have memorised a piece very well, you should be able to play both hands, separately, from memory. However, if you can't play either, it means you haven't memorised sufficiently"

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I think only very advanced pianists sight read cold. I believe most of us sight read warm, ie memorize with the notes as a guide...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I honestly don't think it's possible to NOT memorize a piece after playing it a brazillion times.

As far as improvising goes, once a piece becomes thoroughly memorized, why not add in a little flair and mix it up a bit.

For me, the same exact piece over and over again is torture.

A
A
Well, some of us are memory limited. I play a piece a bizillion times, it doesn't sink in. But I can sight read faster than most people think. My companion player at church can memorize easily, but sight reading is a challenge. I would rather have my problem.

Al
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by alsh:
Well, some of us are memory limited. I play a piece a bizillion times, it doesn't sink in. But I can sight read faster than most people think. My companion player at church can memorize easily, but sight reading is a challenge. I would rather have my problem.
Welcome to the forum, alsh.

Most likely people just use what comes easier for them.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

actually, if you practice something long enough, you would memorize it. also, muscle memory will be in place once you learned the piece, whether or not you're still reading music while playing it.
Exactly what is meant by the term "muscle memory" - I've seen references to this a number of times but never with an explanation or definition. Can someone elaborate? Thanks.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the good answers, I figured I wasn't alone. Agreed, I will try to pay more attention to the pieces (even whilst my brain does it's thing).

Devane,
Thanks for the link thumb

cool

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Exactly what is meant by the term "muscle memory" - I've seen references to this a number of times but never with an explanation or definition. Can someone elaborate?
I'll take a stab at it:

"Muscle memory" is the ability to play something semi-consciously due to rote repetitions, as opposed to gaining a mental understanding of it. In general, if you can say or write out the notes of a passage you have a mental understanding of it. If you can only remember it by sitting at the piano and playing, then you have muscle memory. The optimum situation for a memorized piece is to have both, so you can be thinking ahead mentally, yet let the hands use muscle memory to play the current passage. Additionally, if one type of memory fails, you can often rely on the other to avoid mistakes.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I think it would be helpful to keep in mind that sight-reading is specialized form of reading music with a specific technique, environment and purpose. It would clarify the discussion and the advice given to maintain the distinction.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think memorization becomes a bulk of knowledge. So great I don't need to carry around 50 books to play the piano. Beyond that it forces my brain to understand the music in another manner, a different level so to speak.
This allows me to be creative and improvise.

rada
www.pianopassions.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission