Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1021319 - 01/13/09 10:57 AM Re: Is memorizing pieces a bad thing?
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
I wonder why playing a piece "at a tediously slow tempo" (as you say) is "a good exercise for a memorized piece" (if by "exercise" you mean perhaps "test")?[/b]
I do mean test. I think it's just another way of changing the "pattern" (as Peyton says) which we have committed to muscle memory. It sure seems to be true for me that when I change the tempo dramatically from what I've learned to play for performance things just don't flow with my muscle memory anymore and I have to think about the next notes or the next chords much more consciously.
Estonia L168 #1718

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1021320 - 01/14/09 12:20 AM Re: Is memorizing pieces a bad thing?
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Oops.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1021321 - 01/15/09 09:57 PM Re: Is memorizing pieces a bad thing?
Wye Mun Offline

Loc: Singapore
Wow - I would LOVE to be able to play from memory. I can do that for only ONE piece I learnt in childhood, nothing else since.

Given that advanced compositions are very complex and long (and thus very difficult to sight play 'cold' or without a page turner!) wouldn't the ability to memorize a piece accurately (without killing the freedom to express it personally) and quickly simply add to the pleasure of playing the piano?

Why emphasize sight-reading over memorization in the earlier stages of learning?

#1021322 - 01/16/09 02:36 AM Re: Is memorizing pieces a bad thing?
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by packa:
... So, my rule is to ALWAYS practice with the music in front of me and to make myself really LOOK at the music to try to see everything that's there and not just the notes. This doesn't stop me from memorizing quickly but it helps to keep double-checking with the actual score. [/b]
thanks packa ...that's very good advice I think, and I'm going to try it. btw, I neither memorize nor read very well \:\( I try to memorize evrything I learn (such as the pieces in my signature), but it takes ages and a great deal of effort. One reason I do this is to try and keep my 58-year-old brain cells active! I would dearly love to be able to improve both my sight-reading and memorizing abilities.

#1021323 - 01/16/09 04:17 PM Re: Is memorizing pieces a bad thing?
caracantabile Offline

Loc: USA
I don't think it's a bad thing, but when done carelessly it will cost you a good performance imo. When I was much younger I would memorize pieces as quickly as possible but then found out that I had missed a dynamic mark here and there, and misremembered the exact rhythm here and there, and the list goes on...

Now that I'm older (and duller) I take longer to memorize a piece and even after I've memorized it I usually have the sheet music up to refer to in case I've "slipped".

Of course this doesn't apply to a performance piece, but the same principle goes --- if I can't see the music as it's written when I close my eyes when I'm playing it then I haven't studied the score enough.

Maybe a little too neurotic? :p

Currently memorizing for class: Debussy Prelude #8

#1021324 - 01/16/09 04:29 PM Re: Is memorizing pieces a bad thing?
caracantabile Offline

Loc: USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Wye Mun:
Wow - I would LOVE to be able to play from memory. I can do that for only ONE piece I learnt in childhood, nothing else since.

Given that advanced compositions are very complex and long (and thus very difficult to sight play 'cold' or without a page turner!) wouldn't the ability to memorize a piece accurately (without killing the freedom to express it personally) and quickly simply add to the pleasure of playing the piano?

Why emphasize sight-reading over memorization in the earlier stages of learning? [/b]
(Please note, in the reply when I say you, I mean "you" as in a general populace, and not the OP in particular \:\) )

Well, does one have to be emphasized over the other? The thing is, it's so easy for a lot of people to memorize music by ear. How many people can actually say it was so easy to learn how to read music fast and accurately?

It seems the trouble a lot of poor readers have is that they memorize things quickly -- that works great when you're learning one, two page pieces but when you're studying longer pieces it's going to hurt you in the end.

I am a very poor reader. It's hurt my ability to learn the more advanced pieces because I read so slowly (very frustrating). It's very tempting to just memorize these hard pieces by ear because it's so much easier, but in the end it'll also be less accurate -- unless you have an amazing sense of rhythm and a very good ear you're not going to be playing something marked as how the arranger or composed has made it.

Yes, you don't want to lose spontaneity, you don't want to lose your own individual style, but you must also respect the intent of the composer, yes?

It's too easy to rationalize not learning to read well (I know this and rue this all too well). My instructor has mentioned that it is very difficult for her to get students to learn arpeggios and other "dull" things because they just want to learn fun pieces and play those. This seems as if it's in the same vein --- I don't think you can ever read music *too well*.

If you have a bad memory, that is a different and unrelated issue to being a good reader -- since when has a good reader of books ever blamed the reading for an inability to memorize a poem or passage?

Currently memorizing for class: Debussy Prelude #8

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (accordeur, ajames, ando, Alex1, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1806 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156284 Topics
2295252 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
07/30/14 02:51 PM
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
07/30/14 02:41 PM
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
07/30/14 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
07/30/14 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
07/30/14 11:51 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission