2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I began studying piano 7 months ago and I'm almost through the Alfred's Book One for adult beginners (no teacher yet). Anyway, I have almost nailed "On Top Of Old Smokey", which is really the first "piece" that uses LH & RH in something other than straight chords. The LH plays broken chords (I, IV, & V7), while the RH plays melody. I much prefer broken chords over regular chords, which sound much rougher.) I have been using Chang's methods of intense repetitions of the RH then the same with the LH, then putting them together. I played it fairly well several times last night and was ecstatic! Maybe I can get the hang of HT play after all. smile Now, I realize that this piece is not at the same level as the actual pieces you are all playing, but I wanted to share my excitement, and the Adult Beginner's Forum seemed like the place to do it. whome

Support our troops!
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
That's great Jerry!

Hey, we were all in your shoes in the beginning, so don't worry about your level here in the Beginner's Forum. We're here for support! Sometimes I hit a roadblock trying to learn a piece, but then suddenly I can finally do it, and it's exciting to get over that roadblock! I really do find improvement the next morning on what I intensely practiced the day before.

Yes, the broken chords do sound nice. On a piece I'm learning now, my teacher has me adding a little bit of the damper pedal just on the broken chord to add a bit of richness and beauty.

Keep practicing and having fun! smile smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Congrats on the breakthrough Jerry! It's those little victories that keep us all going. How long have you been incorporating Chang's techniques into your practice?
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've been using Chang's technique for about 2 weeks. A lot of what I read in his book (so far) was a bit over my head (like the 'gravity drop' method & relaxation techniques...whatever...), but the HS/HT techniques were very intriguing and fairly easy to understand. What I found on this piece while playing HT was I was focused on getting the LH broken chords right, and I realized all of a sudden that the RH was just automatically falling on the right notes...without any conscious thought on my part. I was actually "hearing" myself play, rather than focusing so intently on my fingering. I can only assume that I am seeing some of the "muscle memory" spoken of by Chang. In any event, it's exciting! smile

Support our troops!
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
excellent! by the way - Chang didn't invent any of this stuff, he just did a good job of presenting it.

Also, if the concept of "gravity drop" and relaxation techniques went over your head, take a look at it again. Do you have a teacher? Those are probably two of the most important concepts in developing good healthy piano technique and tone.

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
Just wait, Jerry, it'll just keep getting better. I'm in the second Alfred book now, and there's some fun stuff in there that makes Old Smokey look easy - and in a short amount of time, it will be to you.
Good stuff, this. Studying piano, that is.

I played it better at home.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Just wait.. you get to about three years and it will AMAZE you what you will be able to play. Like Hermann points out.. the more you play the better you will be!

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, everyone for your encouraging words. I appreciate the comments!

Support our troops!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You *go,* Jerry! Getting the hang of hands together is really an awakening, isn't it?

Keep it up!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Absolutely, Cindy! It was one of those moments when a person catches a quick glimpse of what might be. I started learning with the idea that doing different things with each hand was something 'other' people could do, but likely not me. Although broken chords are not all that difficult, getting the timing right with the notes on the melody line was quite a feat. It was then that I started thinking maybe...just maybe... laugh

Support our troops!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission