Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
113 registered (Banzai_Ed, ando, anamnesis, 36251, Beemer, 27 invisible), 1427 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1021926 - 12/23/08 11:05 PM Hi, I' new and I would like to learn playing piano by my self
sidebyside Offline

Loc: USA
Hello everyone,
I'm new in this Forum. I wonder if you can share with me as far as what I need, where to get it, and how to start on my self-learning. It's real hard but I want to give it a try for few months to see how it goes. I'm still at my 20s and didn't have chance to persue it when I was younger.
I would really appreciate it if you can help me with this.Thanks. Merry Christmas to you all.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1021927 - 12/24/08 11:06 AM Re: Hi, I' new and I would like to learn playing piano by my self
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, I would think the first requirement is some sort of piano, either digital or acoustic (a keyboard is a possibility, although not as good). Then one of the basic books such as Alfred's or Farber. That would be a good start. Why not tell us a little more about yourself and the kind of music you like so we can steer you in the right direction.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1021928 - 12/24/08 11:13 AM Re: Hi, I' new and I would like to learn playing piano by my self
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
 Quote:
Originally posted by epf:
Why not tell us a little more about yourself and the kind of music you like so we can steer you in the right direction.[/b]
And what music you would like to learn how to play. Different types of music require different types of learning.

It's also no problem that you started in your twenties. Many people here in the forums started much later.

#1021929 - 12/24/08 11:16 AM Re: Hi, I' new and I would like to learn playing piano by my self
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Welcome!

You might want to go to a music store and look through some books and see what you like.

You might also want to pick up a basic music theory book as well and maybe one on sight reading.

Happy Holidays.

#1021930 - 12/24/08 12:18 PM Re: Hi, I' new and I would like to learn playing piano by my self
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I know you want to self teach, but the very beginning is extremely important, so if you can afford lessons, do it from the start.

Also welcome...

#1021931 - 12/24/08 12:32 PM Re: Hi, I' new and I would like to learn playing piano by my self
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, Sidebyside, and welcome to the wonderful world of piano. \:\)

Self-teaching is possible (many of us are successfully doing so ourselves), but I agree with Mark that a lesson or two at the beginning to show you proper posture, hand positioning, etc. could be very helpful. Little things like sitting the right distance from the keyboard are very important in terms of preventing injury yet are hard to pick up from books or videos.

#1021932 - 12/24/08 02:30 PM Re: Hi, I' new and I would like to learn playing piano by my self
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome, Sidebyside,

Ditto to Mark's and Monica's recommendation about a teacher at the beginning. Once you become comfortable with the basics you can proceed to pick music of interest to you. If what you pick is too difficult at the beginning, you'll need to have a huge storage place for the music that one day you'll play. Check with Monica on how to collect sheet music and books and on how to store them all. She's an expert on both the latter. \:D

I'm sure you'll enjoy the friendly folk and help here in the ABFourum.

Regards,

Lisztener

P.S. I invite you to listen to Monica play a lovely arrangement of "What Child is This" by David Nevue, one of her favorite "new Age" composers. I hope this beautifully played rendition serves as an inspiration and motivation to you as it does to many others:

http://www.uky.edu/~harris/whatchild.mp3

#1021933 - 12/24/08 03:49 PM Re: Hi, I' new and I would like to learn playing piano by my self
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
 Quote:
P.S. I invite you to listen to Monica play a lovely arrangement of "What Child is This" by David Nevue, one of her favorite "new Age" composers. I hope this beautifully played rendition serves as an inspiration and motivation to you as it does to many others:

http://www.uky.edu/~harris/whatchild.mp3
Yes, that was indeed very nice. Monica, your M&H and your playing sound excellent. You get an A+. \:D

Merry Christmas!

Hi Sidebyside. You can do it. There are lots of websites and free piano lessons on the internet that are very helpful. I do agree that at least some formal instruction would be good.

Take care,

Rick

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HP508 Audio Recording from output phone jacks
by Banzai_Ed
3 minutes 30 seconds ago
HP508 Audio Output Jack
by Banzai_Ed
18 minutes 47 seconds ago
Best Upright Piano under 8,000 new and why?
by Gustavo90
23 minutes 58 seconds ago
new beginner here...
by Yu11
Today at 09:07 AM
Can I use an X stand with the Kawai ES7 + F-301 pedal unit?
by trumpeter
Today at 04:50 AM
Forum Stats
77449 Members
42 Forums
160163 Topics
2352004 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission