Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1022496 - 11/20/08 02:26 PM Crud! (practicing on vacation)
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
I am going home to visit my family for 2 weeks in December. My parents haven't had a piano in the house in decades, but I thought, "no problem, I'm sure I'll be able to get in to practice on the grand in the local church." This is the church I grew up going to, and the one I was married in 2 1/2 decades ago.

When I mentioned to Dad on the phone last night that I needed to talk to the church secretary about doing this, he said, "Oh, they have some sort of electric thing now." So this church, which used to have a grand piano and a fairly large (if not pipe) organ, now has some sort of electric keyboard/organ/synthesizer 'thing'. I suppose it's cheaper than paying to maintain a real piano, but Dang!

This is a tiny (>1000 people) rural town, so I'm not sure where I am going to be able to find a real piano to practice on. Dad says there might be a piano 'upstairs' (in the Sunday school area) but I can't imagine that it would be tuned and in good shape, like the one in the sanctuary used to be.

Maybe if one of my former schoolmates is still the music teacher at the local community college I can talk her into letting me practice there (assuming _they_ still have a real piano).

If worse comes to worst, I guess I can just work on learning the notes in the rest of the Bach Partita on 'the electric thing'.

crud!

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1022497 - 11/20/08 02:43 PM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Oh no!

Well call them anyway-you never know maybe the real piano there somewhere just waiting for the attention only you can give it. Maybe one of the church members has a piano you can use (if your family is friendly enough with any of them to be able to ask)

Are there any piano shops around? Maybe you can pretend like you are going to buy a piano and ask to try them out (sneaky but what the heck).

I hope you find something.

#1022498 - 11/20/08 03:32 PM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
melwig Offline

Loc: California
I went on business travel a couple of months ago. When I arrived at my destination, I stopped at two piano stores. I was upfront with them and told them my situation. I on travel, and I just want to practice. One store didn't want to help me but the other store let me use one of their baby grands in a practice room as long as it wasn't needed for lessons. The lady even said she was teaching lessons in a different practice room after store closing, and I could stay until she left. By being honest I could practice as long as I wanted and do it guilt free.

If you can achieve something without a struggle, it's not going to be satisfying.

#1022499 - 11/20/08 03:56 PM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's a nice idea but I'm afraid the nearest piano stores are a couple of hours' drive (each way). Not exactly an option for daily practice.

I have emailed the music teacher at the local community college. That's probably the best chance of getting to a real piano...assuming they still have one and would let me practice. I am an alumni, after all \:\)

#1022500 - 11/20/08 04:23 PM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
"By being honest I could practice as long as I wanted and do it guilt free"

Yes honesty IS the best policy...

That was a great idea to check with community college.

Fingers crossed they will have something for you.

#1022501 - 11/20/08 04:35 PM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ProdigalPianist,

I would try the one at the church just to see.

If it is a halfway decent digital piano, it might not be nearly as horrible as you may be thinking.
But I can sympathize, I am going on vacation in Orlando for a week in December, and will be without piano.

#1022502 - 11/20/08 07:36 PM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
saerra Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
For two weeks... yikes! I hope it works out and you can find a place to practice!

Actually - I think I've got a solution...

"Merry Christmas Mom and Dad! What's that truck... oh my! It looks like you just got a new piano for Christmas ! What a wonderful gift! What, you don't play...? Oh, well, here, let me try it out for you!"

*grin* - kidding, of course.

Given how far the piano stores are, I assume there's no way to rent one for the two weeks (or month, if need be)? Probably overkill, but... just another thought.

I hope the college thing works out for you, and you get to reconnect with your friend! \:\)

#1022503 - 11/21/08 05:17 AM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
bruceee Offline

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
As the owner of "an electric thing", I can tell you that they're not so bad. As Triryche suggested, try the church one -- you might like it.

Even if you don't get to a piano, enjoy the time with family and friends. A two-week break from playing will do no harm and you will come back to it invigorated.

#1022504 - 11/21/08 06:19 AM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Have you considered simply taking the two weeks off from practicing? You probably should.

You won't lose much (if anything at all) in that time and you'll come back refreshed and invigorated to resume your piano studies with even more determination and eagarness than before.

Take a break from the routine - You deserve it (maybe you need it). It'll only take you part of your first practice session back to get up to speed again - catch up on your reading with some good piano-related books instead. Make it a complete vacation.

Regards (you can handle the "cold turkey"!), JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1022505 - 11/21/08 09:44 AM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
pianoluvr Offline

I've been wondering about practicing over vacation for quite some time. What would you guys think, in general, about purchasing a small "more portable piano" for travel purposes?

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)

#1022506 - 11/21/08 10:08 AM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianoluvr:
I've been wondering about practicing over vacation for quite some time. What would you guys think, in general, about purchasing a small "more portable piano" for travel purposes? [/b]
I think, in general, that the more "portable" it is the less you'll be happy or satisfied with it and will soon regret the purchase.

For a very viable and satisfactory alternative read or reread my post directly above your's. Don't let this possibility "scare" you - you will survive it and you'll be back playing better than ever in no time at all.

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1022507 - 11/21/08 02:49 PM Re: Crud! (practicing on vacation)
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

At this stage I really don't want to go 2 weeks without practicing at all. I returned to playing only a few months ago after a 20 year hiatus...I'm finally getting back to the point where I am happy with the progress I'm making getting it all back.

Plus, I love my family but I haven't lived with them in 26 years and being in a house with them 24/7 for 2 weeks... it will be great to have an excuse to go off by myself (well, just me and a piano!).

Plus after spending all those years paying for lessons, they will be pleased that I'm still working on it...and I'd like to play for them again.

Edited: shoot...forgot to say, heard from the community college teacher, looks like I will be able to get into the college music room to practice at least a few times! woot!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Odd
by Minnesota Marty
Today at 01:41 PM
Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement
by johnbarnesiii
Today at 01:08 PM
Joshua Bell's second concert draws large crowds
by pianoloverus
Today at 01:02 PM
NAMM 2015 - Are You Booked??
by Piano World
Today at 12:09 PM
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
Today at 09:39 AM
Who's Online
153 registered (accordeur, alans, Adypiano, 46 invisible), 1781 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157923 Topics
2319297 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission