2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, 7 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
In the tradition of just doing stuff without asking anyone, for those of you who may be new here, every Dec 1st a new *ABF holdiay performances* thread is started.

It's sort of a cross between the piano bar and our recitals in where members are asked to submit any holdiay themed piano piece in decent shape to share with everyone.

It's kind of like getting a nice piano x-mas collections cd for free!. [Double nice for all you cheap mo-fo's! laugh ]

Anyway, just a little over a month away but still plenty-o-time to whip something together [or at least rehash last years submission! wink .]

The thread will start on Dec 1st and last as long as it lasts. We've had lots of great performances in the past and hopefully will have even more this year.

Start practicing. Today!. thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bah,humbug!
More music to learn? [still haven't done my Beatles piece frown ] smile

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've been working on David Nevue's "Greensleeves" (aka "What Child is This," so it can do double duty as a holiday song... laugh ). I should have it in recording shape by December.

The only bad thing is that this is the first song I've ever played that my husband doesn't like. help (There's a bridge section that's a little intense with some abrupt stops, and he says it "makes him nervous.") He's very tolerant of my playing so I try to be considerate and practice it only when he's not around. frown

I think it's an absolutely beautiful arrangement myself. confused

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mr. S-H,
How long does the thread stay open? I'm hoping to get a Zoom H2 from Santa but until then I can't record.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
MK...I believe it's referred to as tension, gets the audiences's attention, make sure their listening...

btw... I voted per your blogs suggestion...lol

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:

In the tradition of just doing stuff without asking anyone

It's kind of like getting a nice piano x-mas collections cd for free!. [Double nice for all you cheap mo-fo's! laugh ]

still plenty-o-time to whip something together [or at least rehash last years submission! wink .]

The thread will start on Dec 1st and last as long as it lasts.

Start practicing. Today!. thumb
SH - well and pithily (?) stated - a post even I can admire (and be jealous of) thumb

And thanks for getting this crosss-bred thread going - I've made a recording, but I'm checking it twice . . .

Have the traditional cool yule!

Regards, JF

P.S. . . . cheap mo-fos eek laugh

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Woody, the holdiay thread will stay open until it dies a natural death. In the past, it has hung around for a few months as members can submit a holiday piece at any time on Dec 1st or any time after that.

It's a great way to get a few tunes put together to share with everyone else as well as give you an inscentive to get something together to play for family/friends around the holidays instead of just sitting around water-logged with egg nog in your belly.

I'm going to start off with the same tune I've submitted for the past few years which is "cristmas time is here" but perform it an a totally different arrangement than in the past.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:
I've been working on David Nevue's "Greensleeves" (aka "What Child is This,"

The only bad thing is that this is the first song I've ever played that my husband doesn't like. help (There's a bridge section that's a little intense with some abrupt stops, and he says it "makes him nervous.")
I think it's an absolutely beautiful arrangement myself. confused
That's a strange coincidence - I'm working on "What Child is This?" (aka, "Greensleeves"), which is the middle Carol in a 3 Carol medley I've put together.

My version of this beautiful old classic is in traditional style at an intermediate level played by a fumbling rank amateur while your's will be a New Age version at an advanced level played by a highly accomplished near-professional - so there should no conflict or comparison.

But my version doesn't contain any intense bridge sections with abupt stops, so as much as I hate to say this your husband might like it better (or at least feel a little less nervous) wink

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thought Mr SH's thread need a push (as a public service).

Regards, JF

ddh Offline
Originally posted by Monica K.:
I've been working on David Nevue's "Greensleeves" ...I think it's an absolutely beautiful arrangement myself. confused
Ha Ha; knew you would'nt resist very long and very glad You decided to learn it; You know I have a sweet spot for this arrangement and I can't wait to hear an accomplished pianist such as yourself perform it; no pressure laugh

Cheers

Daniel (Pramberger JP 208B)
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
M
M
I have a recording of the David Nevue arrangement of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" ready to go.

wj3 Offline
Ive been working on a simple version of Silent Night that I can submit. If you don't mind a rank amateur.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
C
C
I needed a new song to start working on, so I'm going to start "Bring a Torch, Janette Isabella" tonight!

Pianist and mom to three awesome kids (and budding musicians).
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by wj3:
If you don't mind a rank amateur.
Well, just how "rank" are you? :p

Submit it - we want to hear it!

regards, JF

wj3 Offline
JF. Well pretty rank..hee hee. I'll be there.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I'm working on:

.Cristmas time is here (re-tweaked repeat of last years).

.Jangled bells (super-hunky version)

.Greensleeves (super-hunky version)

I've pretty much given up on reading music (on purpose) to force myself to further explore new melodies and play by ear techniques so I'm not sure what these tunes will sound like until they are done.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Count me in also - working on Mary, Did You Know off of sheet music (sort of) and Carol of the Bells by ear. Santa may arrive early with my H2 I've been told, but it has not yet been confirmed - but it may not have to be January - we'll see.

Edit: I just realized, I too could do "What Child Is This" and combine it with my other two. I'm already in the key of A-minor. We could make this a WCIT Christmas. HMMM
Woody

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Woody-Woodruff:
Count me in also - working on Mary, Did You Know off of sheet music Woody
Woody - Here's a great version of that wonderful song - thought you might like to check it out:

Mary, Did you Know?

Regards, JF

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I'm still waiting for the Halloween recital...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Woody-Woodruff:
Count me in also - working on Mary, Did You Know off of sheet music (sort of) and Carol of the Bells by ear. Santa may arrive early with my H2 I've been told, but it has not yet been confirmed - but it may not have to be January - we'll see.
Woody
Woody, I am looking forward to hearing your Mary Did You Know. It is my favorite Christmas song ever. I played it for a November recital a couple of years ago before I got my Zoom, but the recording quality was truly awful. Maybe I will try recording it again soon.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission