Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1022728 - 02/25/09 01:09 PM Chords, Chords and More Chords.......
FishWagon Offline

Loc: Dacula, GA
Well, the old instructor was right, I'm going to need a straightjacket...

He's been making me concentrate on chords and said I would need a straight jacket before it's over.

He's right. Triads, inversions, minors, majors, dimished, 7th's, 6th's, etc...

How do you all keep it in your minds? I understand how you get to a minor from a major, to a 7th,down to a 6th etc... but I just seem to have a big problem memorizing the chords and keeping my fingers from stumbling all over each other...

He says I'm making incredible progress, that it's obvious I'm practicing every day, etc.... but I seemed to have hit a roadblock.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to "scream out". Now back to practice.... \:D \:D \:D

Rich
Roland FP-7

Father, thank you, for letting me fly this flight, for the privilege of being able to be in this position, to be in this wondrous place, seeing all these many startling, wonderful things that you have created.

- Gordon Cooper, orbiting earth, 22May1963

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1022729 - 02/25/09 04:17 PM Re: Chords, Chords and More Chords.......
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Rich,

I too am intrigued with all the different cords on the piano. In fact, there are so many variations of the same root cord that they seem to run together and all sound about the same to me. So, I tend to stick with the primary root majors, minors, 7ths, and diminished cords. Sophisticated cords do not necessarily sound sophisticated to me; they can sound odd and out of place, depending on the piece (to me anyway). To each his/her own I guess.

Take care,

Rick

#1022730 - 02/25/09 09:55 PM Re: Chords, Chords and More Chords.......
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Rich,
Why not first focus on learning all the major chords (triads) in root position. The best way to do this is to understand how many half steps between the root and 3rd of the chord (4 half steps, or the interval of a major 3rd), and then how many half steps from the 3rd to the 5th (3 half steps, or minor 3rd). When you can play those easily, then build upon that by doing all the minor chords, in root position. Minor chords have 3 half-steps from root to 3rd, and 4 half steps from 3rd to 5th. Eventually you'll be able to "see" the chords on the keys before playing them.

Then work on all 1st inversion chords (major and then minor). These contain the same notes as the major triads, but between the bottom note and the middle note you have the minor 3rd (3 half steps) followed by a perfect 4th (5 half steps). 2nd inversions have the 4th on the bottom and major 3rd on top.

Diminished triads consist of minor 3rd/minor 3rd. Augmented chords (the opposite of diminished) contain major 3rd/major 3rd.

Now you're ready for 7th chords. You are just stacking another 3rd of some kind (major or minor) on top of a triad (usually major, minor, or diminished). But instead of thinking what kind of 3rd to put on top, it is best to think of the interval between the root of the chord and the top note.

Major 7ths contain a major triad with a major 7th between root and top note. For example, C major 7 = C-E-G-B, the distance between C and B = major 7th. To make a dominant 7th (also called major-minor 7th) in that same example would be C-E-G-Bb, the minor 7th between C and B-flat.

The key is to build one concept upon another, and not move on to the next until you can do the first with ease. This will prevent the tangling of fingers you speak of \:\) .
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1022731 - 02/26/09 03:27 AM Re: Chords, Chords and More Chords.......
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
It's much easier fot me to think scale degrees instead of intervals. For instance a few basic chords:

major triad 1-3-5 in any order

minor = flat 3

augmented = sharp 5

diminished = flat 3 and flat 5 add 6 (for full diminished)

#1022732 - 02/26/09 08:05 AM Re: Chords, Chords and More Chords.......
majones Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas Piney Woods
Not necessarily recommending lead sheet for you, however, hitch hiking on the way the thread is moving. I use lead sheet thus only have to remember how to make the chords shown on that specific piece of sheet music, i.e. A, Am, A7 or perhaps Amaj7, etc.

Point I'm making. Once the realization of what pattern (R + 4 + 3) for Major, minor, diminished is automatic -- then an understanding of how to get the extensions;
6th = +2.
7th = +3.
maj7 = +4.
Is really about all you have to master. If the song has something beyond that deal with it if and when it comes up. Love my #2 pencil with the big eraser....

How many chords are there in a song? Four or five in the ones I play; so the chore is really not all that intimidating. IMHO.

Well yes then there are the inversion, can't get around the inversions. But, that's just one more skill you have to add.

Good luck

Malcolm

#1022733 - 02/26/09 08:58 AM Re: Chords, Chords and More Chords.......
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi Rich,

yeah I agree with all above and especially majones. Are we talking popular music here and not classical? if we are then most memorable popular songs that maybe you find yourself singing in the shower or just humming along to (the ones that stick in your craw i.e. most top 20 hits - but, not all!) tend to follow very simple chord changes and as majones says probably no more than 5 different chords (many times less).

If they followed unusual progressions or had many complicated changes of keys and way out extensions you'd never be able to sing 'em out loud in the shower

If you are going to get in to re-arranging tunes in a jazzy way then the journey is going to be more difficult! take a little longer and space you out more but, for many that journey is a journey of love.

I would say that playing the piano is a lifetime of discovery I'm discovering new things all the time and I've only been at it for 5 years.

trying not to eat the whole pie in one sitting just take small chunks and if your piano teacher feels you are making good progress then unless you have reason to doubt him then I would say roll with it \:\)

Edit to add: Just a thought, It might be a good idea for you to ask your teacher to show you how and where these chords come together in actual pieces of music and then the theory may start to make a little more sense?

Lee

#1153972 - 02/27/09 02:38 PM Re: Chords, Chords and More Chords....... [Re: Seaside_Lee]
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I agree with Lee, for me it's 90% fun and passion and 10% commitment. sick

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
43 minutes 49 seconds ago
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
Today at 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
Today at 10:58 AM
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, ajames, anamnesis, 36251, 29 invisible), 1624 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158398 Topics
2326040 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission