2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Magz Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings,

I am an early intermediate level student. One of my goals for 2009 is to work on my sight reading abilities. I am thinking the best way to do this is just to sit down for 15 - 20 minutes, each day, and sight read various short pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc. A new piece or section every day. Of course, this is in conjunction with my lessons. Any better suggestions from those who have already crossed this bridge?

Thanks

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
that's what my teacher had suggested to me: sight reading 10-15 minutes a day, if only i had followed the suggestion (but i didn't).

the point is sight reading as many pieces as possible and regularly. don't worry about mistakes when you read, just keep going until you finish reading the piece and then get another one to do the same. also, another thing is to read only those at or below your playing level, which would encourage you to keep going without stopping in frustration.

i'm thinking of starting to do this regularly myself, now that i don't have to worry about teacher or lessons.

Ditto! Yes read any kind of music you have around the house. If you don't rust will develop, I guarantee. E-Z Big Notes, whatever it takes.

I'm not that good in sight reading. But what I do is read both long almost at the same time and play it taking my time to get the notes right even if I have to slowwwwwwww doooownnnn. ahhhhh

I have been doing this lately. Not long enough to feel the big difference but patience will probably pay off. The hardest part is to forget my pride and choose pieces of the appropriate level.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
http://www.fjhmusic.com/piano/sightreading.htm

I use these books, I do it 5 minutes a day. I just finish book 2A.
At 5 minutes a day the progress is very slow.

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

I too have a goal this year of improving my sight reading and am also at the early intermediate level. Thanks for posting this question. With these suggestions, I am planning to go through some of the Alfred books and other pieces of sheet music and drill books that I have. I also like to periodically play through the older material that I have covered in lessons, especially the pieces in the Faber Adult Piano Adventures book 2 that I'm working through.

As a side note, I purchased a lot of 12 or 14 used late beginner, early intermediate and intermediate level lesson books on ebay for about $30 including shipping. I've also found inexpensive lesson books and sheet music at our local Salvation Army store.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I'm just getting back to the piano as well. I probably sight read on a low intermediate level. Lots of times I'm making educated guesses as the notes get ever more distant from the printed staff, but somehow often find myself guessing correctly.

The funny thing is that while I can play the notes when sitting at the piano, if I'm presented with notes to verbally identify, I often can't do it. This goes for even basic notes on the bass cleff, notes that give me no trouble at all while playing...It's actually very interesting to me, that I've obviously learned this stuff, but via some motor pathway rather than an intellectual or cognitive one...

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
One thing that I think is underappreciated by teachers is that sight reading is helped a lot by internalizing the intervals and chord structures, so that you sight read less by looking at the individual notes and more by recognizing patterns. Then the notes are automatic.

What has helped me immensely - I really can't overstate it - is playing each song I learn in all twelve keys, after learning it more or less in the original key.

I say 'more or less' because I find that once I've played the song in all twelve keys I understand it on such a deeper level that I can only really then say that I can really play it well in the original key.

This sounds like it's not connected to sight reading, since most of the time doing this isn't spent reading notes at all but rather transposing passages (painstakingly) into other keys (it gets easier after the first few believe me). But I find that it removes roadblocks to my sightreading that I didn't even know were there. It's like it sheds light on the whole system for me.

Another thing is that it's important *how* you practice sight reading. It's good to go through a lot of material, but it wastes time if you allow yourself too many mistakes. Make sure you always feel like you're learning and not spinning your wheels.

One thing that helps when looking at notes above and below the lines is memorizing what you could call 'anchor notes' or 'mark notes', and then determine other notes based on the intervals from these notes. For example, for me, C above treble clef is an anchor note, and I know if there is an E above that since the interval from the C is the next note with a line through it. An octave always alternates being on the line and between the line, etc.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Prima Vista piano playing is playing a very secure and musical presentation of a piece of music previously unseen and unknown to the pianist before.

Accuracy in rhythm, expressiveness, and musicalness are the goals with each noted symbol on the music being played on the keyboard with good fingering, good technique, in response to what is seen on the page as written by the composer.

A gifted sight reader reads all from beginning to ending without stopping and without missing any details, and without fumbles.

A musician of this quality is a master of the instrument and a master at reading music notation regardless of key signatures or time signatures and alterations.

Prima Vista is reading for the first time with no preparation and having the piece manifest.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Betty, do you use "Sight Reading" books with your students, or do you just have them practice sight reading with a lot of different music, or is there some other method that you use to improve their sight reading?

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
C
C
The "Four Star Sight Reading and Ear Tests" series is recommended in this video which also discusses sight reading in general.

Andrew Furmanczyk\'s YouTube piano course, lesson on sight reading #19

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
mom3gram,

One of the books I like a lot for Elementary level is a book called "Basic Timing" by Allan Small that combines one line examples of rhythm challenges written in 5 finger positions (Parallel C is the model) and can be transferred to all other 5 Finger Positions for additional exercise if one thinks that is helpful or important.

Reading rhythm challenges while playing in unison is a first step to brancing out in music that covers more keyboard distance and addition of altered notes (#,b, and natural signs).

A lot of elementary books have teacher accompaniments which allows the student to be part of a bigger picture (even orchestra sounding), and also to adapt to steady beats and no stopping. The songs are written fine for solo work, but are much more substantive as duets. These are usually one page or two page presentations.

Use sightreading materials in the keys that you can play in, usually the addition of one new altered note is plenty at one time. So caution about doing 3, 5 flats or 3 sharps before you have master the scales and keyboard sight reading of those scales that come before.

Learning 5 Finger Positions and I, IV, and V7 chords is helpful as a chord progression. Inversions of Root chords is helpful. Arpeggios (short and long) are helpful.

Learning chromatic mirrored D in contrary motion is a good way to learn #'s and b's from the music page to the keyboard. D is with a white key start/Ab is with a black key start, the only two ways one can play a mirrored chromatic scale.

Fingering for chromatic scales are:
black keys are played by finger number 3's
white keys are played by finger number 1's
the second adjacent white keys are played with finger number 2's.

Go slowly - slow motion when learning chromatics - it is quite the learning process! But it gives you access to the naming of alterations - up from a white note is a #, and down from a white note is a b.

I also keep a keyboard/music staff chart on the backboard of the piano (behind the keys) for all students in their first year. We remove it when it is obvious that it is no longer needed as a resource. By then, they student should be able to access any notes on the piano from a music page. (3C's) then (5 C's) and then (8 C's)including all black and white notes within the registers.

Hope something clicks with you here that you can use. I'm sure I'm forgetting something to suggest, it may come to mind later.

Enjoy your sightreading!

Betty

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the info, Betty. I'm printing it out for reference.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Thank you for the details on practicing sight reading Betty. I have several of the "A Dozen A Day" technical exercises books. I imagine those would be helpful for sight reading and timing as well.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally posted by charleslang:
One thing that I think is underappreciated by teachers is that sight reading is helped a lot by internalizing the intervals and chord structures, so that you sight read less by looking at the individual notes and more by recognizing patterns. Then the notes are automatic.

What has helped me immensely - I really can't overstate it - is playing each song I learn in all twelve keys, after learning it more or less in the original key.

I say 'more or less' because I find that once I've played the song in all twelve keys I understand it on such a deeper level that I can only really then say that I can really play it well in the original key.

This sounds like it's not connected to sight reading, since most of the time doing this isn't spent reading notes at all but rather transposing passages (painstakingly) into other keys (it gets easier after the first few believe me). But I find that it removes roadblocks to my sightreading that I didn't even know were there. It's like it sheds light on the whole system for me.

Another thing is that it's important *how* you practice sight reading. It's good to go through a lot of material, but it wastes time if you allow yourself too many mistakes. Make sure you always feel like you're learning and not spinning your wheels.

One thing that helps when looking at notes above and below the lines is memorizing what you could call 'anchor notes' or 'mark notes', and then determine other notes based on the intervals from these notes. For example, for me, C above treble clef is an anchor note, and I know if there is an E above that since the interval from the C is the next note with a line through it. An octave always alternates being on the line and between the line, etc.

D
D
(Sorry, for the double post)

Charles, Could you take some time and explain how you learned to transcribe into the different keys? I'm very interested in this topic.

Thanks,
D

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Darla,

Happy to. I started with simple pieces and have moved slowly to more difficult ones, so it's not been overwhelming that way. Actually I started by doing the I, IV and V chords in all keys. I would just practice hitting them in one key, playing a few inversions, and then move on to another key. Then I did the same thing with the minors (for example, for the C major scale I would do F major chords, G major chords and C major chords, then I moved on to the relative minors, which are A minor chord, D minor chord and E minor chord.)

Then I used lead sheets to do some simple songs like 'Have you ever seen the rain', 'Bad moon rising' and so on. These songs have a melody that is easy to play and the left hand can just do chords. Since I had already played around with the positioning of all six major and minor chords in each key, the songs went faster. In the cases of several songs I have, after working on them, literally played the song straight through in all 12 keys.

The painstaking part at first is that you have to memorize the song not as a sequence of keys but as a sequence of relations. You memorize the melody not as, say, G then C, D, and E, but rather as the fifth, the root above, the second and the major third. If the chord accompanying that bit of melody is C, then A minor, you memorize that as the root major chord and then the sixth minor chord. This way you can move to whichever key you want and reproduce the song there. As you do this more it starts to feel, to me anyway, like you understand the music on a much deeper level.

I guess this method really focuses at least for the first phase on jazz and popular music, but I think what I meant in the earlier post is that after doing this I can sight read much faster than before, whether reading classical or pop. Of course reading melodies on lead sheets helps to learn rhythm markings, because they're done in standard notation. The main thing I found I needed to do special work on when I returned to Mozart was reading bass clef markings and trills. Multi-note chords have been surprisingly easy.

I started piano with no real previous musical experience when I was almost 18 so I'm convinced this method can help adult learners as well as possibly younger ones.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
During my sight reading sessions the last few days I have discovered one (to me) new and valuable approach. Maybe it is basic to most of you but it has helped me quite a bit: I used to identify every note on the staff by its name and find the corresponding key to press. It is much easier and faster for me to read in terms of intervals, so I've been practicing how to quickly recognize interval shapes on the staff and how they feel under the fingers. (C-G feels and looks the same on the treble staff as E-B, D-G feels and looks the same as F-B etc.)

It is faster because only one note has to be identified/named in a chord, arpeggio or short phrase. The rest of the keys are found according to their distance/the interval from the preceding note or the first note in the group.

The method is very visual and may appeal to minds that think "visually", like mine. Maybe not the best description of my recent discovery, but it has taken me one step further. Hope it can help others too. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just curious...
Does anyone read through the music first before playing? That is something I am starting to do now. I never had the patience for it before and thought I should just be able to look at it an play. But now I realize many (even advanced) musicians "study" a piece before they play it.
smile

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission