2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1022912 11/07/08 09:21 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I have been in a really huge dry spell lately---motivation-wise. frown

I could use some inspiration. Has anyone read Charles Cooke's book Playing for Pleasure?

Considering purchasing it but would love to hear any comments.

Many thanks,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
#1022913 11/07/08 09:41 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...there's always Chopin's 48.1 to keep you occupied, Kathleen! wink

I have the book you mention and I've found it very interesting, helpful and readable. Cooke obviously had a good sense of humour and it comes across in this book.

I found the section on mastering difficult passages - or "fracture's", as Cooke calls them - to be particularly helpful.

For amateurs such as we, this book has much valuable insight. Cooke reminds us that we're playing piano, above all, for pleasure (we are, aren't we?). He concentrates on repertoire, giving many excellent - imo - suggestions as well as listing his own achievements, which he organised into groups of 5 pieces.

He also gives help with technique but, be warned, he was an advocate of Hanon!

I recommend this book even though it was, in my case, quite expensive.

My best to you, as always
Mike smile

Michael
#1022914 11/07/08 09:50 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Kathleen, I have the book and like Cruiser I found the section on "setting fractures" particularly helpful. He also has a section on deconstructing pieces to help with memorizing that I think would probably be useful to someone who finds memorizing difficult (I'm fortunate enough to have a good memory that's holding up so far smile ). But I also found it interesting from the perspective of analyzing a piece to develop a greater understanding of how it "works". I'd recommend it if you can get hold of it at a reasonable price. I got mine from an online used book seller in the UK for a fraction of what I'd have had to pay for it in the US.

#1022915 11/07/08 09:50 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
+1 thumb

It's a great little book, Kathleen—useful and a good read, too.

As cruiser mentioned, there are many interesting repertoire suggestions (including some that weren't on my radar previously, like Griffes' "The White Peacock" and Palmgren's "May Night").

It's been praised here many times, though it's gone in and out of print over the years and that could be why cruiser found it to be expensive.

Steven

p.s. Speaking of motivation, I still haven't finished Seymour Bernstein's With Your Own Two Hands.

#1022916 11/07/08 09:57 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by sotto voce:
p.s. Speaking of motivation, I still haven't finished Seymour Bernstein's With Your Own Two Hands.
Not wishing to hijack... but this is another highly recommended book I'm having trouble finding!

Michael
#1022917 11/07/08 10:10 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi Cruiser,

Also not wishing to hijack, but it looks as though there's a few copies available on Amazon.com at the moment, starting around $30 + shipping.

#1022918 11/07/08 10:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Kathleen,

Maybe the honeymoon between you and Chopin is over or stale. laugh Have you tried looking for other type of music?

Maybe you reached a saturation point. I find that if I like something and I go overboard I just end up doing too much in too little time and get burned out. I usually do things in moderation to avoid that even if I want to do more that way the motivation stays with me instead of ebbing out.

I went through a bit of demotivation recently and it was due to too much material thrown at me at once. Once my teacher scaled me down to a more manageable amount of work, I found practicing a pleasure and motivation has sored.

I now have time to explore other music just for fun and that makes it always fresh and exciting.

I have cookes book and I think I read a few pages before I fell asleep.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
#1022919 11/07/08 11:23 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
One of the funniest things I have ever read was in Cooke's section about the value of playing for others. Paraphrasing won't do it justice, but he decribes how when friends would come over he would excitedly want to play a new piece for his less-than enthusiastic guests. Later he relates the retribution when he goes to the home of a poet who proceeds to recite some incredibly long sonnet...It was written in a very amusing manner.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
#1022920 11/07/08 11:38 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Well for Pete's sake!! I have the book. :rolleyes:

When Cruiser mentioned fractures (Hi Mike, I know you're almost finished with the 48.1, but alas I am still on the first page), it sounded familiar. Sure enough, when I browsed my music shelf, there it was. I have so many "self-help" books that I can't keep track. Now if only I could absorb all the wonderful and useful ideas, I'd be a female Rubinstein (yeah, right). thumb

Mike: I think of you often (don't tell your wife wink ). How is your new piano working out?

Steven, I read about half of With Your Own Two Hands. It's not quite as down-to-earth as Cooke's.

Donna: Thanks for your detailed post, and I so agree. The book does give many great tips. I just wish I could be one of persons who can start with the hard part. But, there is something in my nature that compels me to start at the beginning and work towards the end. I do pound the life out of the fractures, however. Then I find my fingers develop a mind of their own, and I have to force myself to slow down.

In the current issue of "The Pianist," there is an article on Hanon. The pros and cons, etc. Did you know that Rachmaninoff played Hanon every day?? The article mentions that one doesn't have to play all the exercises, just those from which you will benefit. (I had to shake my head when it mentioned that the goal is to make all fingers of equal strength. This is not what Chopin advised. In fact, he said that having some fingers weaker than others is what gave the music its beauty.)

I am having one heck of a time trilling with my left hand, so I guess I'll have to sweep the cobwebs from the book and get busy.

Oxford Gal: Your suggestion is great. But I have been playing some old standards lately. The arrangements by Preston Keys are in a great book called Simply Beautiful Piano. I'm playing "My Foolish Heart," "More Than You Know," etc. I know I needed a change.. But, strange as it may sound, I find these pieces more difficult than the Chopin I've learned. I guess it just proves that old adage about Chopin's music fitting under the fingers so well.

You are all so very kind to respond. YOU have provided the inspiration I need.

heart
Kathleen

#1022921 11/07/08 12:12 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
I have so many "self-help" books that I can't keep track. Now if only I could absorb all the wonderful and useful ideas, I'd be a female Rubinstein (yeah, right). thumb
..I know exactly what you mean, Kathleen. I've also got an ever-increasing collection of self-help books, in the hope that one day I'll find that 'special' book which will, somehow, help me to really take off with my piano playing. At the moment I feel as though I'm trundling down a very long runway!

Michael
#1022922 11/07/08 02:45 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Yes, Mike, I'm also looking for that special book that will reveal the secret. That secret, of course, will make playing as simple as brushing one's teeth. I think I will be looking (and buying) for the rest of my life.

It really doesn't get any easier, does it?

Kathleen

#1022923 11/08/08 01:41 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I love that book. It is because of it, that I resumed playing the piano after years of neglect.

While brousing at my favorite bookstore, several years ago, in the used books section, I found a paper back copy, and was so intrigued by it, that I purchased it.

Cook is Hilarious--yet at the same time has some excepionally good advice. Gaby tu

#1022924 11/10/08 11:26 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Gabytu: It's too bad Mr. Cooke is no longer alive because I'm sure he would be so pleased to know that he was responsible for your returning to the piano. smile

Kathleen

#1022925 11/10/08 12:42 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I suspect he's responsible for a great many people returning to piano and approaching it with a renewed sense of empowerment and enthusiasm.

As highly regarded as that book is, I'm surprised that it's not even more popular. I cannot overstate how good I think it is.

Steven

#1022926 11/10/08 03:40 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
I have been in a really huge dry spell lately---motivation-wise. frown

I could use some inspiration. Has anyone read Charles Cooke's book Playing for Pleasure?

Considering purchasing it but would love to hear any comments.

Many thanks,
Kathleen
Hey our library has this (I have had good luck finding older books like this in libraries). I am going to check it out today...

Thanks for the recommendations

Edited to add...gee, thanks, Kathleen...now I will want to read this instead of practicing!!! laugh

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
#1022927 11/10/08 04:21 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Reading Mr. Cooke's book is how I found PianoWorld! I read the book and loved it, so I was searching the internet to find out if he ever wrote a sequel. Almost all the hits were from PW posters, which is how I found this place. Jazzyprof used to have a quote from Charles Cooke as his signature, so that was where many of the listings came from, if I recall.

I learned about Playing the Piano for Pleasure by reading Noah Adams' book, Piano Lessons. I know he sometimes seems like he's trying to take the easy route, but that book also provided inspiration.

Good luck, Kathleen. I'm needing a little inspiration myself these days. I think I just have put a lot of time into a piece that I'm not crazy about, always thinking it would come together. Maybe it's time to drop it and play some Christmas music!

Nancy

Estonia 168
#1022928 11/11/08 09:16 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Nancy: I read Noah Adams's book also and thought it charming. To go through all that (not to mention [gosh, I guess I am] all that $$$) just to learn to play a song for his wife. And yes, thanks for reminding me about Christmas songs. I usually don't start until mid-December and then have nothing really ready to play well.

ProadigalPianist: I will have to read his whole book now, instead of skipping to chapters of interest.

Steven, you are so right. What a wonderful legacy Mr. Cooke has left us.

Kathleen

#1022929 11/27/08 02:44 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for recommending this wonderful author and book. I picked it up at the library and am finding it very enjoyable. I must confess to skipping some of the repertoire chapter so far, some of the pieces are beyond me. He gives a wonderful framework for mastering and maintaining one's repertoire. I had never looked at one hour a day in such a way, and I find myself thinking about applying his methods to other activities. His style is friendly and encouraging, someone who understands the serious hobbyist.

#1022930 11/28/08 08:46 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I bought a copy in a used book store in Chicago while a student (original hardback) and really appreciate the practical approach it reveals. I think almost anyone could benefit from reading and applying suggestions from Mr. Cooke's book.

Loveschopintoomuch: You might consider broadening your repertoire to include some Mendelssohn, Schumann, and even Weber! Chopin used Weber. And there are the less heard composers which might pique your interest. So delve into some of the more obscure and see if you can't find something that will rejuvenate your playing. Or--take a two week hiatus from playing at all--if you can--and see if you have a re-newed interest! smile

#1022931 11/29/08 11:22 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, Varcon. I appreciate your suggestions. Yes, I do believe that I need to seek out other composers. While my repertoire isn't all Chopin (I have some Bach, Schubert, Beethoven and Schumann), I will take your advice and find some Weber.

Gratefully,
Kathleen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission