Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1025016 - 07/10/08 01:04 PM does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
alleon Offline

like typing on a keyboard. When i just need to think about the words and my hands will automatically, without thinking, move and press on the keys.

?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1025017 - 07/10/08 01:50 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
Santiago Magarinos Offline

Good question.

That´s something i have always wondered.

I think of music as a language. A subjective emotional language.

I associate improvising, with poetry and sightreading with reading.

I believe that if you play for a long period of time ( don´t know if more or less than 10 years ) you will eventually develop skills similar to those you have in language. In music there are not such a things as words, because words don´t have unlimited meanings as MUSICAL PHRASES do.

But i think that after a certain period, if you think for example, G major scale from A, two octaves, you will play it as fast as you want without thinking much about it.

#1025018 - 07/10/08 01:59 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Like keyboard typing? I sincerely hope not. \:\)

#1025019 - 07/10/08 02:19 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by alleon:
like typing on a keyboard. When i just need to think about the words and my hands will automatically, without thinking, move and press on the keys.

? [/b]
I think it's a sensible comparison. You'll still know where the keys are; if you were a good sight-reader, you should still find that the music goes in the eyes and out the fingers without having to think about what key to press or where it is.

For a while, though, you'll be lacking some amount of control, dexterity and stamina—just like if you went ten years without typing.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1025020 - 07/10/08 02:24 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Coastal Mississippi
Yes, The same thing. It's all finger muscle memory. You don't visualize the words then type them, it just comes out. It's the same once you have the music "under your fingers". It's what all that practice is all about. Muscle memory.

#1025021 - 07/10/08 02:30 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Yes, and I don't think it will take 10 years, either.

#1025022 - 07/10/08 02:47 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Monica's response made me realize I misunderstood the question. Dang, I thought you were returning to piano after a ten-year absence. Never mind!

New response: What Monica said—and Woody, too, though I'm used to associating "muscle memory" with pieces already learned. Obviously, it applies to sight-reading, too.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1025023 - 07/10/08 03:46 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
If you practice diligently you should have a very good internal map of the keys much sooner than ten years from now. I only need to "look" or "think about it" while I'm learning leaps and such from the outer extremes of the keyboard.

#1025024 - 07/10/08 05:38 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I think there are a lot of similarities: posture, hand position, developed muscle memory. I took up piano long before I began typing so learning how to touch type was a breeze for me - 105+ accurate words per minute and I credit the piano for this ability.

A lot of people develop carpel tunnel syndrome from typing. Despite hours at the typewriter, this never was a problem for me because I had already learned proper posture and hand and wrist position.

The more you use neural pathways, the more complex they become. I suspect anyone who is moving from the piano to the typewriter or typewriter to piano would have a definite advantage.

Deborah

#1025025 - 07/10/08 08:17 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I've been playing piano for over 6 years and ...well ......it didn't take me 6 years to learn to touch-type (more like 3 months)....... and I don't think it helped my piano playing at all. There's so much more geography to cover on a piano, so much more coordination, so much more control required...and backspace doesn't work so great either!!! \:D

#1025026 - 07/10/08 09:01 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I'm a much better pianist than typist. (Thank God!) I don't think there's any real skill transfer from typing to piano or vice versa.

#1025027 - 07/10/08 09:23 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I sure hope piano isn't like typing. If it is, I'll have to put a backspace key on my piano! \:D

#1025028 - 07/10/08 10:14 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
babushka Offline

Loc: chicago
Well, my typing keyboard style is, once I know what I want to say, to type very fast - and very inaccurately. Then comes the rather mechanical correcting of typos. This is probably not a good technique for piano playing. Unfortunately my fingers do someimtes take off too fast at the piano resulting in an astonishing array of wrong notes!

#1025029 - 07/10/08 10:17 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
tickler Offline

Loc: Chicagoland
I don't think typing is a good comparison.

A better comparison is learning a language. At first, you speak and read the new language slowly, only capable of simple grammar, with a limited vocabulary. As your proficiency grows, you can speak more fluently, using more complexities and with a much greater number of words.

You might think of notes as words, figures as clauses, phrases as sentences, movements as paragraphs or chapters ...

Mary

#1025030 - 07/11/08 07:39 AM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
cs_carver Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
 Quote:
Yes, but that depends both on how you type and how you learn music, as well as what kind of music you want to make.

I'm with you, the PC keyboard is simply an extension of my thinking about what I'm writing; I don't think about where the keys are unless I'm having to type QWERTY (rather than Dvorak, which I prefer). When I have to use a QWERTY keyboard, my thinking changes because then I have to think about letters instead of words / phrases.

There are equivalent elements in music, both in reading other people's music and in making your own. The more familiar you become with the piano keyboard, the more automatically you will reach for the "right" sounds to create what it is that is in your mind, or on the printed page.

I suspect the biggest element is that you have to know it's possible, and put the attention into learning it. I know far too many people who have been using PC keyboards for years who never attended to learning to touch type (Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing!) and as a result, they're still looking at the keyboard, and they don't realize the nature of the handicap they impose on themselves. I'm seeing something similar as I start to memorize music, rather than simply reading it off the page.

YMMV. Good luck.

#1025031 - 07/11/08 12:51 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I have really enjoyed learning to play the piano (not that I can play all that well \:\) ). I wish I had pursued learning to play the piano years ago.

Like anything we learn to do, we get better at it the more we do it. The old saying “practice makes perfect” comes to mine (but, of course we never reach “perfection”; it is a theoretical term).

The more I play my piano, the more comfortable I get with the feel of the keys under my hands. The cord changes seem to come more natural and freely. In fact, I just love to put my hands on the keys and feel of them as I play. Is this what they call “caressing” the keys or tickling the ivories? \:D

Best regards,

Rickster

#1025032 - 07/14/08 12:29 PM Re: does playing piano after 10 years feel like this?
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
I've learnt to type over 15 yrs ago approx.
When typing a report, and delicately hitting the beginning letters like a pianossimo then rushing it to its finale with a Fortissimo period. That's typing ! That's creativity !

Typing is not so different \:\)

Peter

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (ajames, A Flat Minor, AndrewAJC, Abby Pianoman, 40 invisible), 1750 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75385 Members
42 Forums
155848 Topics
2288538 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1
by neuralfirings
Today at 09:56 AM
Axus DPs?
by LarryShone
Today at 07:50 AM
Single: Every Moment With You (Orchestra Version)
by Darkreach
Today at 07:04 AM
Heal The World - Michael Jackson Piano
by Phuc Pham
Today at 05:00 AM
Lorin Maazel (1930-2014)
by bennevis
Today at 05:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission