Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1026751 - 11/26/04 12:38 PM The Piano Won't Bite!
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
This past weekend, I went to see the symphony at which Alexander Korsantia performed Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. Although there were some beautiful slow parts, most were tense.

I also went to see Yanni perform watching him play the piano with such ease and relaxation. Everyone of his musicians on stage were having so much fun and it was great that so many had the opportunity to do solos to show their abilities and passion.

Just from those 2 concerts, a light bulb went off in my head. I've been "afraid" of the piano and maybe that is why I've had trouble relaxing. I told myself that I'm the boss, the piano won't bite me, relax, don't be afraid to let my emotions flow and just have fun. It has worked. Instead of just telling myself "Relax........relax.........", I tell myself "Have fun......relax.......no big deal.......just enjoy........it's okay to make mistakes. It certainly has helped me lately. \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1026752 - 11/26/04 02:17 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
That's good advice sleepingcats. For us beginners the piano can be a frightening thing. If played well it sounds nice, if played poorly it sounds terrible. I think most of us get tense when we sit down because we don't want our piano to sound bad. I would love to be able to relax and just play, but I have to focus on what I'm doing. \:\(
Jon

#1026753 - 11/26/04 03:34 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
Mathilde Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois, USA
I'm very self-conscious about my playing, and especially in the summer, when the windows are open, I have to remind myself that nobody walking by outside is going to listen to me stumbling my way through Schumann and think, "Oh, cripes, is she ever slaughtering that..."

#1026754 - 11/26/04 04:48 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
I've been practicing "Greensleeves" from the Alfreds book, and I decided to play broken chords instead of blocked chords just as a change of pace, and I started paying the piece, and it sounded so good, I actually took my hands off of the keyboard, almost in fright!

I was shocked to hear such smooth rolling notes coming from MY fingers! It was like I was afraid to play any more because I so much enjoyed the sound, and I could not believe it was ME who was making it. After all, it's only been 9 months. Is that kooky or what? :rolleyes:

#1026755 - 11/26/04 05:50 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Sleeping Cats - I think I told you that back sometime ago! My sis told me I play too timidly and told me to *Attack* the piano, it won't attack back!!! \:D

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#1026756 - 11/26/04 06:18 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Good on ya Jerry! Isn't that a great feeling when you play something and it sounds good. \:\)

#1026757 - 11/26/04 06:27 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Teachum, yes, I do remember you said that.........it takes a while for me to get over my "problems" and I finally feel like I can relax.

Jerry, I'm so glad you are discovering that you can play so beautifully - you're making so much progress - no that's not kooky at all!

The other thing - we went out to dinner for Thanksgiving, and the pianist just rolled out the tunes with such ease like it was nothing.......that was another incentive to feel more at ease, because although I personally was listening and watching intently (but not judgementally of course), most of the others continued to eat/talk and enjoyed the music in the background . I can't remember which other Forumite(s) mentioned he'd like to play in a piano bar. That would probably be the only way I could play in public - if I know the people are preoccupied with other things! \:D

#1026758 - 11/26/04 06:52 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
ragtimebg Offline

Loc: California
I don't know how I got to be a stockbroker. What I've always wanted to be is a piano player in a house of ill repute...

#1026759 - 11/27/04 12:56 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
pianafetish Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
i'm about the same way when i go to my local music building. i get tense and afraid to play, b/c i play the 'Auld Lane Syne' [and stuff of my own] over and over in C and E Major, and worry what the folks passing by are thinking. i get nervous and just sit there and do nothing for a while.

#1026760 - 12/01/04 11:10 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
Jac Ang Offline

Loc: Singapore
As a beginner,we always worry that the piano sounds awful.Therefore,we must know that we cannot rush into piece.The only solution to better music and a pleasure to your ear is to practice slowly,phase by phase,bar by bar.

Usually my teacher don't like to see me in rushing mode.

P/S:Want to do it right;do it at the first time but detail in notes and practice slow.Rem:Practice make perfect!!!!

#1026761 - 12/09/04 01:31 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
chprout Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
If it's any consolation, I am a beginner here on the piano at 40 years old. I took up violin 5 years ago at 35 years old. Talk about scary, now that's an instrument that will drive cats through the roof when you hit a wrong note or bow badly. Violin is really, truly, more difficult than piano. Piano is hard in that you have to read two clefs at once, but the good thing is that you can look at your hands easily. The violin is harder because your wrist is twisted around making it a bit more difficult to see your fingering and then the bowing is probably even the hardest part of all.

I had fun for the last 5 years with it, learned to play some celtic fiddle tunes and started up a local community celtic group in my town. I recently stepped down from leading that group in light of taking on something new now for my 40th birthday. I've always wanted to play piano and so I decided to do it this year!!! Yay! I am loving the piano and think there's so much more styles you can play on piano than violin, personally, that sound good.

Anyways, don't mean to get off track, but definitely relax, close your eyes, and have fun. Time is a bit shorter for us older beginners. Too short to not be having fun and loving what we're doing! And, a bad note on the piano any day is not as bad as a screeching bow on a violin! Sort of like a dentist's drill!!! LOL

Have fun!

#1026762 - 12/09/04 04:52 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
pianafetish Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
you're right, C. the violin [which is another instrument i love besides the piano] i much more complicated that the piano, which has all the keys arranged in 2 rows [black and white], arranged from the lowest of notes to the highest of notes. it also has a chart over the Internet of various chords and how they're arranged.
the violin, on the other hand, you have to practice vibrato, and do all of these chords on four strings. you also have to be careful of where you place what fingers on what strings and the bow too, just to get the right sound.
just to be such a small instrument that's made of wood and metal, with four strings, the violin is hard to play, [if you haven't been taught] and you have to coordinate the movements of the bow with that of the fingers on the fingerboard, while using vibrato and changing notes. you could get by with teaching youself the piano, b/c it's large, yet easier to play.

#1026763 - 12/09/04 08:50 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
The piano though, is complicate when it wants to be. You really can't compare the violin and piano.

It's like apples and oranges.

the piano is only scary when you view it as a machine of mass destruction for your ego. I personally love performing pieces for a crowd. The bigger the better. And the harder the piece, the more gratification i get once the recital is done. But I used to be scared of death of performing anything in public. I'd turn white.

WHITE!! and I'm brown(ish)

so yeah, things do change

#1026764 - 12/15/04 08:39 AM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
bachophile Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
What I've always wanted to be is a piano player in a house of ill repute...[/b]

oh u get tired of that, after years of that job i went to medical school to meet some really interesting people...

#1026765 - 12/15/04 02:18 PM Re: The Piano Won't Bite!
chprout Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
Again, certainly not to take anything away from the piano. I am certainly not saying it's easy and, in fact, I'm sure it is quite difficult and I have only begun to scratch the surface of all it holds. But I have played several instruments now and the violin is still the hardest I've played. I certainly never made nice sounds on it as quickly as I'm making on the piano. In fact, I'm not sure I ever made nice sounds on it at all. LOL

I like that I can see both my hands and don't have to worry about vibrato. It's also nice to be able to have such a full sound with just one instrument.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (36251, AmateurBob, AndresD, ajames, 45 invisible), 1688 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156334 Topics
2296047 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High school student questions..
by lavienrose16
Today at 10:38 AM
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
Today at 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
Today at 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
Today at 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
Today at 08:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission