2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I am an adult student, I've been studying piano for almost 4 years now.....(in 5 days!) laugh

I just had a LIVE recital May 08....my 3rd..... but I did something crazy! I decided to perform 4 pieces, instead of my usual 1 piece.....My teacher and I both agreed that I was ready, and I truly thought I was, but then on stage, the unthinkable happened. I fell apart...The 1st and the 4th piece were sort of unsalvageable.... I can't post them, let's put it that way!

The second and third pieces are the ones I thought were decent enough to post.....I KNOW there is a lot of room for improvement, but I am interested in your comments......If anyone has helpful performance tips, please let me know!!

Please excuse the audio! The recording hall was great, but our camcorder is not!

Here are links to the two videos...

Chopin Nocturne in E minor Op.72
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wdqt5IqnZU

Mendelssohn: Venetian Boat Song Op.30, No.6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdgMkB1F9_A&feature=user

Thanks,

Kelly

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul."
- Johann Sebastian Bach
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Only 4 years??? you play very well for that short amount of time.

Your LH is very good in both the Chopin and Mendelssohn pieces.

I notice some pauses here and there. When you play with sheet music on, you need to follow it more tightly than looking at the hands. If you are in the process of memorizing the piece but decide to perform using sheet music, practice with the sheet music on at least 5 times. And keep your eyes on the sheet music.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Only 4 years!!?? Wow, nice job on that Chopin! How long did you work on it?

Kelly,

Your tempo was excellent. You kept both pieces moving forward which is important. Very expressive, especially on the Chopin.

[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
OK, Kelly, it's official. I hate you. That good in 4 years? I crash and burn if someone happens to walk by the house. Assuming the two you are holding back are as bad as you say (I doubt it, we are our own worst critics..)then you hit a couple of homers and struck out twice - that's a .500 average and would earn you millions if you played baseball.

The first and last Crashed? Hmmm. Nerves, and then the race to end, perhaps?

What do I know??? The ones you posted are wonderful, and you should be proud.

Yea, I still hate you...a little. I'm slowing getting over it.

Very nice.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing, Kelly.

X
X
That was very nice. Regarding your questions: play in front of the camcorder often and for family and friends at every opportunity. Search the archives here for memory techniques. There have been some excellent discussions on how to memorize a piece for performance. Read Chang's book. Keep playing at those recitals - you're doing great!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kelly, Awesome! I never would dare to perform like you, so no advice from me. Just admiration.

[Linked Image]
Awesome! Bravo!

Hi Kelly smile

I think the fact that you still went on after the rumored collapse of the first piece ( wink I'm betting you played much better than you think you did) shows great focus. When things start going south with the performance - especially a piece that you know YOU KNOW - it can be more than unnerving. I've seen people go back to the beginning and start again, and I've seen one person decide not to continue with the performance. (FWIW, I admire these people for at least trying - it takes courage. )

It's hard to keep going when everyone's eyes are on you, but you soldiered on, and I can say having watched the videos that #2 & #3 were lovely even if not perfect.

If I have one piece of advice, remember that no one ever walked into a concert or recital saying, "Gosh, I hope this sucks!" Your audience wants you to do well. And 9 times out of 10, they haven't been practicing for an hour a day, day in day out, so they'll never notice the mistakes (unless they're teachers :p ) .

Best of luck at the next one! thumb

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life. ~Jean Paul Richter

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission