2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#102708 06/21/08 12:22 PM
OP Offline
Hi,

I came across a new piano when I brought my children for piano lessons. On the fallboard, it has the name Kaysurburg on it.

A quick run-through of the brochure said it is manufactured by Pearl River using German Essex technology. It also said it uses German parts such as Rosslau strings and Renner hammer.

Anyone has any additional input on this piano? (built quality, sound, action, feel.....etc)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sounds like a house-brand stencil.
There is no German technology in Pearl Rivers except a few parts made in Germany.
The Essex reference comes from a line of pianos Pearl River builds for Steinway & Sons under contract. I am sure S&S would be po'd to see someone using their trademarked branding (Essex) in this manner.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A quick run-through of the brochure said it is manufactured by Pearl River using German Essex technology.
Essex is in England, not Germany....

Norbert wink

Pearl River makes their own bass strings using Roslau wire. If it's truly built by Pearl River it would make a nice piano for your children to learn & grow on. There is a nice factory tour of Pearl River on their website:

http://www.pearlriverusa.com/slideshow/imagepages/image1.html

Good luck!

Piano consultant.
Riverton Music
Salt Lake City, UT
(801)255-8300
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
[Anyone expecting useful thread content, read no further.]

Indeed! There is a Boston in England too, in Lincolnshire, but I don't think that's what Steinway had in mind when they named their (authentic design) second line 'Boston'.

The 'Boston' name has always made sense to me. It sounds American, dignified, refined, conservative, and reeks of Back Bay Brahmins. laugh

The 'Essex' name has never made sense to me. Growing up in Boston there were three images that the word 'Essex' would bring to mind. One was a dowdy run-down street by that name connecting the waterfront with the downtown area. The second was a second-rate hotel close to the railway station (although it did have a decent deli with crunchy dill pickles). The third was the Essex underground T station that reeked of dried urine 24/7 since its main use was as a public bathroom for area watering holes and flophouses. Which image association did Steinway have in mind? Take your pick!

When the city cleaned up this area decades ago, they remodeled the Essex T station and renamed it Chinatown.

Maybe Steinway should rename the Essex piano Chinatown! laugh

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
M
M&B Offline
M
This is just one more of the many misleading literature of pianos coming from China.

They call it marketing; I call it deception. (Including Broadmann, Premium Steigerman, Pearl River, Hailun, Heitzman and the other 100 of names)

OP Offline
Quote: Norbert
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

The label pasted on the piano did indeed said "German Essex technology".

By the way, the store carries a wide range of pianos and Pearl River is one of them. However, from the price listed, it seems the Kaysurburg is an attempt to pitch them at a higher level (their "premium" range perhaps. The one I mentioned is a 123cm Upright with a listed price around Singapore Dollar 8,000 but currently selling at a promotional price of around SGD6,000. This put it at the top of the price range compared to all the other Pearl River's upright models it is selling.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
They call it marketing; I call it deception. (Including Broadmann, Premium Steigerman, Pearl River, Hailun, Heitzman and the other 100 of names)
M&B,

I know you're no big fan of Pearl River pianos because of your incontinence problems when you play them. wink I think you're being a bit harsh on the name though. Since the factory is about 20 meters from the Pearl River, I don't see a problem with using the name. Maybe you should visit the factory and go for a refreshing dip after the tour! laugh

Hailun pianos are made by Chen Hailun. If you can't give the piano you build your own name, what's the world coming to?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
The slide tour of the Pearl River Factory is IMPRESSIVE! The link posted by Utrumpet didn't work on my computer. Instead of using the posted link I went to the website and took the tour. Excellent.

...it seems the Kaysurburg is an attempt to pitch them at a higher level
Perhaps they could at least start with proper spelling: it's "Kaiserburg" not "Kaysurburg"....

Certainly the 'Kaiser' would agree with me on this one quickly...

Norbert laugh

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission