Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#1029393 - 10/14/08 08:26 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Re speed - - After I recorded it I compared the speed of my recording to the speed of several professional recordings - I actually have it up to about 3/4 professional speed which surprized me. I thought it was slower.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1029394 - 10/14/08 03:03 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Thanks for the reality check and encouragement! (And the spelling check \:\) ) The usual pro performance is about 2:00. DIanara Nadhafoza is about 1:51, Pollini at 2:01.

3/4 pro speed is quite satisfactory, Joe. That will be my aim too.

Don't click here!

#1029395 - 10/14/08 04:17 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
Where are the links intended to be posted?

#1029396 - 10/14/08 06:01 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
 Quote:
Originally posted by hopinmad:
Where are the links intended to be posted? [/b]
On the same recital site as the prelude and mazurka recitals- chopinrecital.org

#1029397 - 10/14/08 08:00 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
25/4 is in. I have to give 25/11 a few more tries tonight.

#1029398 - 10/14/08 11:29 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
Gerg,

I am very sorry to hear that "imperfections with notes will not be tolerated for a performance," because after working to the point of literally making myself ill, I could not play 10/6 with all the notes correct. Sorry. Just not there yet.

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1029399 - 10/15/08 12:21 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Elene, I am so very sorry! Yes I see how you read it that way.

Was speaking for myself in a moment of despair, not others. Merely expressing I'd rather play at a slower tempo and try to minimize missed and incorrect notes, than at full tempo. My piece begs for mistakes, and there is no way I can attain, in the timeframe, to perfection at the prescribed tempo.

So sorry about that misunderstanding. I know your 10/6 will be fantastic. Like MaryRose expressed, passion and authenticity.

Don't click here!

#1029400 - 10/15/08 12:39 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Uh-oh gerg! No wrong notes tolerated.... Gee, I can't even say that I played all notes[/b]; I am sure I missed more than one!

#1029401 - 10/15/08 12:45 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
If I got a penny for every wrong note I played in mine I could retire a very wealthy man!

#1029402 - 10/15/08 01:18 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm feeling so down right now. Yes I will record something, but I cannot play it as well now as earlier today. My right hand hurts from repetitive motion. My keyboard weight is 62 grams at middle C - 10 grams heaver than a typical grand according to a Steinway rep at Steinway Hall, so my hands have to be stronger to play all the thirds in unison at a respectable tempo.

Don't click here!

#1029403 - 10/15/08 01:28 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Greg, I don't have any new recordings yet. I had good practice today, but remains to be seen if I can duplicate it with the red dot tomorrow.

Re 25/6: Remember, buddy, Allegro ... not Presto.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1029404 - 10/15/08 04:08 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Dear gerg - please don't feel 'down'. I am sure that you will produce a beautiful performance. I am also sure it will be flawed, because you are a human being. And remember - if anyone wants to send in a 'better' one of their Etude later I will be happy to put it up instead of the original, so please don't stress yourselves.

I must admit I got a bit scared when you said 'no wrong notes' even though I'm not playing - that is too much to ask of anyone, including yourself ;\)

#1029405 - 10/15/08 07:20 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm guessing we will offer comments on our playing/piece after the recital is up? If not I need to say that I realize I hacked up the middle part of mine but frankly I either play 10/3 at the speed I like to hear it played or not at all (I don't mean practice... I mean playing). . It was/is beyond my ability but as this is just a recital for fun I hope there is enough good stuff in what I did to still make an enjoyable listen.

#1029406 - 10/15/08 11:06 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
chopin952 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi guys and gals.

Did anyone by any chance press the red dot early on during the year to compare your progress?

I recorded some attempts in January and I'm happily surprised that I am now playing more controlled, with better dynamics and phrasing (darn legato!), and with some speed improvements. Still off from where I'd like it to be, but for me it has been night and day from a year ago. I wonder what we could all accomplish if we could dedicate a lot more time to our beloved piano.

I'm glad we gave each other an entire year. These pieces deserve that much attention.

#1029407 - 10/15/08 11:31 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peyton:
I'm guessing we will offer comments on our playing/piece after the recital is up? [/b]
I'd certainly like to hear what everyone has to say after the ecital. I suggest we continue on this same thread and are reasonably casual about it - what do you think?

#1029408 - 10/15/08 11:46 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

gerg and all,

I actually didn't think my last post went through, because the website locked up in the middle of it. I decided not to try again and not to make the comment at all because I realized that you were only speaking of your goals for yourself, not for all of us. But I see it got posted anyway.

Elene

#1029409 - 10/15/08 11:53 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
chopin952 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gerg:
I'm feeling so down right now. Yes I will record something, but I cannot play it as well now as earlier today. My right hand hurts from repetitive motion. My keyboard weight is 62 grams at middle C - 10 grams heaver than a typical grand according to a Steinway rep at Steinway Hall, so my hands have to be stronger to play all the thirds in unison at a respectable tempo. [/b]
gerg. I hear ya man. I can't even touch 25/6. I admire you for that.

As far as action weight. Probably too short notice, but do you perhaps have access to a lighter piano? at a friend's house, music school, or store? that would allow you to bring in your recorder? I know that when I practice on my piano (also in the mid 60s weight) then play on a light piano, I have a little sigh of relief that I don't have to fight the heaviness.

#1029410 - 10/15/08 01:05 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
 Quote:
Originally posted by chopin952:
Hi guys and gals.

Did anyone by any chance press the red dot early on during the year to compare your progress?

I recorded some attempts in January and I'm happily surprised that I am now playing more controlled, with better dynamics and phrasing (darn legato!), and with some speed improvements. Still off from where I'd like it to be, but for me it has been night and day from a year ago. I wonder what we could all accomplish if we could dedicate a lot more time to our beloved piano.

I'm glad we gave each other an entire year. These pieces deserve that much attention. [/b]
Chopin952, you probably could play yours before this project even started. \:\)

I just couldn't get serious about practicing my etude until I was under the gun about a month ago and knew I had to get to it or else. I tinkered with it from time to time over the year but couldn't work on it consistently. So I didn't try recording until a few weeks ago. I'm glad I did! Wow, it sounded horrible, but it was very clear what I needed to do to make it better.

Check out my blog !

#1029411 - 10/15/08 05:47 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PianoAgain, deadlines work wonders, don't they? ;\)

952, thanks for the advice re: lighter action. Yes, it is somewhat easier to play on my digital piano. You are so right about going from a heavy action to a light one. When I visited Steinway Hall last year, it was as if the brand new Steinways w/52 gram keyweight made my playing better. I know that sounds absurd.

Don't click here!

#1029412 - 10/15/08 06:03 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
chopin952 Offline

Not absurd at all. I visit our local Steinway showroom and the pianos there are quite a bit lighter, and I feel like I play so much better. I tend to play too fast on light actions and have to concentrate on slowing down. As if I'm running down hill. \:\) But it does give you quite a bit of breathing room when you don't have to put in so much effort. There is a sense, though, that I am benefiting from practicing on a heavier action.

Maybe I'm still not distributing force from body to arms to fingers correctly, but there are passages I simply cannot perform at tempo on my home piano. I'm still trying to find more technicians to give me second opinions as to how to address the 65g issue.

25/6 is no joke. Hope to hear it soon. Good luck.

#1029413 - 10/15/08 10:05 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
One day left... I can't wait to listen it all!!! What's our status, MR? How many are in?

#1029414 - 10/15/08 10:26 PM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Piano*Son had another lesson on his etude and wants a retake now! \:D

I think we'll do another recording session tomorrow and perhaps make a last second switcheroo. Thank heaven for the little Zoom.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1029415 - 10/16/08 02:06 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
chopin952 Offline

Ok. Mine are in! That's enough fondling of the red button. Mistakes give it character right? \:\)

Excited to hear the entire recital.

#1029416 - 10/16/08 02:58 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was having the same trouble as gerg, with overdoing enough that my right arm became quite strained and almost stopped working entirely. (And I thought I was being careful and reasonable!) The weird muscle twitches that resulted left my recording with some odd little rhythmic moments. I decided that even so it was the most musical one I had produced and left it at that, but those bits certainly make me cringe.

I'm very curious to find out if there turns out to be a way to change that heavy action. The action of my piano is relatively light and easy, but everything is far easier, and I'm suddenly a much better player, on my new teacher's very exceptional Steinway, which is like playing silk. I've never experienced anything quite like it. I wish you could all try it, and that I could play it every day!

Elene

#1029417 - 10/16/08 03:10 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Steinways are fantastic.

I've researched it.

$600 for a good, quality regulation (up to three days labor for one in bad shape)

$3500 for a rebuilt action, new wippens, shanks, and hammers.

$90,000 for a new Steinway B ;\)

Getting through Feux Follets at Carnegie without so much as an itchy nose: PRICELESS

Your mileage may vary.

Don't click here!

#1029418 - 10/16/08 08:25 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
I don't know my piano's touchweight, and it's so long since I've played any other acoustic piano that I couldn't guess if it's on the heavy or light side.

There are websites that show how to calculate touchweight using coins, though I haven't done it. This is one of them:

http://www.pianofinders.com/educational/touchweight.htm

There's a local tech here who does Stanwood Precision Touch Design, though that would might be a silly investment for a 55-year-old Baldwin M that probably needs new hammers even more.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1029419 - 10/16/08 08:57 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Steven - even though you say your piano needs new hammers, it has a really lovely sound.

YD - we have received 14 performances so far out of an expected 24.

Piano*Dad - you may certainly send in a revised performance if you like, any time up to this evening (your time).

I will be working through the night I think ;\)

#1029420 - 10/16/08 09:10 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mary-Rose:
Steven - even though you say your piano needs new hammers, it has a really lovely sound.

YD - we have received 14 performances so far out of an expected 24.

Piano*Dad - you may certainly send in a revised performance if you like, any time up to this evening (your time).

I will be working through the night I think ;\) [/b]
Hi Mary-Rose,

Just checking to see if you received mine via email. I sent it last night my time.

Thanks.

[edit] - I just received your email. Thank you.
Is there anything I or anyone else could do to help you so you're not up all night?

#1029421 - 10/16/08 09:50 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Phlebas - thanks for offering to help! Trouble is, the new web-page can't be uploaded and checked that it's working until all the performances have been received. But it's a pleasure to do it and much less effort than the hard work all you people have put in making these performances so beautiful.

I have received three more Etudes now, so we are waiting for the following people as at 3pm Thursday my time (GMT):

hopinmad
Ragnhild
Numerian
Bernard
Brian13
Celt
greywullf

Phlebas - if you could check on these people backchannel it would be a great help. Just a little nudge of an email. Thanks!

#1029422 - 10/16/08 09:55 AM Re: Chopin Etudes Discussion
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Will do, MR.

[edit] Done. Will let you know via pm, and email what responses I get.

Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
172 registered (alans, Alex-SapRenovation, 36251, accordeur, 49 invisible), 1663 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156253 Topics
2294761 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Around The World
by karmanathan
Today at 11:55 AM
Brahms
by mellifluous
Today at 11:04 AM
The process of shopping / buying a new piano
by Eric5238
Today at 10:53 AM
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
Today at 10:35 AM
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
Today at 08:30 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission