2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1029722 01/02/06 02:12 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Alright, I've decided to step up to the plate. Seeing everyone posting their recordings has been very motivating. We have some talented and promising "newbies" that were daring enough to post their recordings, and it seems to leave very little excuse for the rest of us who have been playing well over a year. So I'll take a lesson from their example, and put away my normal shyness and hesitation and post something I'm working on.

I sat down and figured out a way to record my digital piano output (thanks to the postees that shared their methods) and I threw together a quick little "My Recordings" page, which at the moment, should have been entitled "My Recording_" smile

I used Audacity and LAME to record, but I realized after I exported it as an mp3, that the quality was set pretty low on the recorder. It's a little buzzy, but it hides the couple of goof-ups I made. Now that I think about it, maybe I should have added MORE noise. lol smile It would sound like a concert pianist with enough noise in it.

Seriously though, there is no doubt it is a work in progress. The dynamics need alot of improvement and after listening to it myself, I think it could be played more effectively alot more slowely. However, I'll never post anything if I don't start with something simple, so here it is, the first part of the first movement of Sonata Pathetique (one of my favorites Beethoven pieces).

My Recordings

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.
#1029723 01/02/06 09:28 AM
M
M
Andrew-

I thought it sounded terrific. The sound quality of the file was great, no buzz detected on my end. The playing was terrific-I thought there were some note combinations that sounded tough to me, that you played just fine.

Even though you're now working on dynamics and pace, I think posting for feedback is a really good way to get better. It's a little nerve-wracking, isn't it, getting the recording "good enough" to post? (almost as good as playing for an audience, but isn't it also a good source of feedback and confidence?)

#1029724 01/02/06 11:02 AM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wow! Extremely impressive playing! You were able to handle the fast runs so cleanly and evenly. And I didn't hear any goof-ups, by the way.

Uh...you don't really think that movement was "simple," do you? smile

#1029725 01/02/06 11:12 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm listening to it now. Sounds very good! I amazed at the level of playing of all the so called beginners here - after only a year (or less) of playing!!! Come on guys can't someone post a dud or two - maybe I'll go first. I'm working on Solfeggietto and it's pretty rough. laugh

I've never tried to play this piece. It's lovely and has what sound like pretty complicated runs it. Great job!! Don't forget to post your updates!! laugh

PS. I love your web page. I've been trying to figure out how add a graphic to the background of mine - with no success.....

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
#1029726 01/02/06 12:37 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
(almost as good as playing for an audience, but isn't it also a good source of feedback and confidence?)
No, you are absolutely right. I'm in college right now, and because of that reason I don't have enough time to commit to weekly time with a piano teacher. Just getting the little bit of pressure of public performance in this way definetly helps by simulating that pressure you normally receive from a teacher.

Uh...you don't really think that movement was "simple," do you? [Smile]
Monica:
Thank you for the kind words, but I listened to a pro play this piece and my version is far short of how expressively this piece can be played. It definetly isn't an easy piece, especially for me. As Martin suggested, I had to "get the piece 'good enough' to post". My first attempt was a little rough (that difficult run included). My goof-ups were a couple chords in the middle where the upper two notes were a half step off. They are dissonant sounding chords to begin with, so it's hard to notice unless you've heard the piece a "couple" times before.

I've never tried to play this piece. It's lovely and has what sound like pretty complicated runs it. Great job!! Don't forget to post your updates!! [Big Grin]
Sandy:
Thank you too, you are all too nice, smile . One of the reasons I posted this incomplete piece was to create the motivation I need to finish it. I started getting a little tired of the piece. Especially the later parts which I didn't get to in the recording. Now that I've commited to it publically, and you all know I'm working on it, I'll have to finish it... smile

About the website. Thank you, I wasn't trying to brag by saying I "threw it together". Graphic arts are something I've had alot of experience with professionally, so it really was just another little task for me. I just grabbed a simple piano image off of DreamsTime images for a $1 (can't beat that price), and I stuck it in Adobe Photoshop with a faded rectangle on the side, and a rounded rectangle with a 3D effect. Photoshop does the hard part of slicing that up into little images so it becomes a website.

Well, at the risk of making my post WAY too long, I wanted to ask: After practicing this piece for 20 minutes or so to get it ready to post, it reminded me of little piano lesson ritual. Am I the only one that would have three hour practice sections before they left for a lesson? smile As if you can learn all the technique you're lacking in the few hours before your lesson. The teacher always knows when you do it too... lol

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

If you were not sane, you would never misunderstand this question or the consequences of not comprehending its meaning.
#1029727 01/02/06 02:17 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
WOW, shortcircuit, very impressive. Hunky likes!! thumb Your runs were absolutelly lightning fast with no mistakes. That sounded incredible and certainly not like beginer music.

Sure, I can improvise crappy easy pieces, but nothing like that. I would really like to hear the whole piece however, based on what you've just played, it will surelly sound fantastic.

#1029728 01/02/06 02:20 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I actually find my lessons more successful if I DON't cram right before. I may even skip the evening before practice. I think it's a brain thing.

[Linked Image]
#1029729 01/02/06 02:50 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Really Sandy? That's really interesting, I wouldn't think anybody would have a different preference.

I do it for the physical effect, to get the muscle memory in gear and to make sure I"m completely loose.

Do you at least play scales or loosen up somehow? Or do you find it helpful to completely take a break from the piano for that day leading up to the lesson?

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

#1029730 01/02/06 04:33 PM
that was really tremendous, beautiful playing!

#1029731 01/02/06 05:35 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Shortcircuit85:
Really Sandy? That's really interesting, I wouldn't think anybody would have a different preference.

I do it for the physical effect, to get the muscle memory in gear and to make sure I"m completely loose.

Do you at least play scales or loosen up somehow? Or do you find it helpful to completely take a break from the piano for that day leading up to the lesson?
No. I will try to get a 10 or 15 minute finger warm up in before my lesson. It might be 3 or 4 hours prior, but I have also realized that, for me, this few minutes really doesn't make that much difference. I find that sometimes when I've been working hard on a piece (particularly if it's become frustrating) it helps to take a break. I know I've heard and read that your brain needs time to digest what you have practiced and although it didn't make sense to me when I first heard it, it does seem to work!!

[Linked Image]
#1029732 01/02/06 05:38 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:
[b] Really Sandy? That's really interesting, I wouldn't think anybody would have a different preference.

No. I will try to get a 10 or 15 minute finger warm up in before my lesson. It might be 3 or 4 hours prior, but I have also realized that, for me, this few minutes really doesn't make that much difference (I suck during my lessons regardless shocked ). I find that sometimes when I've been working hard on a piece (particularly if it's become frustrating) it helps to take a break. I know I've heard and read that your brain needs time to digest what you have practiced and although it didn't make sense to me when I first heard it, it does seem to work!! [/b]

[Linked Image]
#1029733 01/02/06 05:55 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just getting the little bit of pressure of public performance in this way definitely helps by simulating that pressure you normally receive from a teacher.

I agree, that's the benefit of these postings. That, and a lot of free advice.

Nice playing, keep it up!
We'll have to come up with a new category for guys like you - Advanced Beginner or Beginning Intermediate maybe.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
#1029734 01/02/06 08:02 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not qualified to critique anyone, but I can say that I enjoyed listening.....great job!! thumb
For the recordings I posted, I gotta tell you most of them I started and stopped probably at least 20 times to get something I would even consider posting!

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
#1029735 01/02/06 11:34 PM
M
M
WOW!

At least coming from a guy like me that doesn't know Beethoven from Clayderman, I must say you executed that very well, especially the runs!

I agree that you seem to need to work on your dynamics and phrasing for this piece (at least from a purely artistic viewpoint since I wouldn't know this piece if you hit me with it), but overall, I couldn't play this piece anywhere close to that even if I did know it.

Don't quit now! I want to hear the finished recording.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING????? smile

MinorKeys

History is the lie most often agreed upon. - Voltare.
Cable Nelson CN216SW Studio Upright
Yamaha Motif XS8
#1029736 01/03/06 01:31 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING?????
Minorkeys:

Obviously, I'm not a first year piano student, but it's hard to give you a straight answer. I took three years of lessons in grammar school of which I gained very little skill and I stopped playing for a few years. Then I took 3 years of choral/classical lessons, which is where I really learned how to play. That was all on a keyboard however, and I quickly peaked out. I bought a digital piano two years ago and have been self taught since.

So... I guess you could say my level is somewhere around a 5-6 year causual player. I really wish I had the motivation and determination that I have now when I was seven, things would have been different for sure.

Andrew - Shortcircuit85

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission