Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1029920 - 11/28/07 12:00 AM Re: Where Amazing Happens
PXFort Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah that was the best video of this song I have seen yet. IMO anyway.

UM I need to go practice!!

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1029921 - 11/28/07 11:08 AM Re: Where Amazing Happens
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Wow... she really did an outstanding job. It's funny, in a way, because I think a piano teacher would have a hissy fit over her posture/form (her thighs weren't level, her forearms *definitely* weren't, and her shoulders looked all scrunched up with tension), yet... she played beautifully! Which only goes to show that maybe it's not all that important to have the proper form...

I've only been able to practice 10-15 minutes each of the past few days. Very frustrating!!!! [I wonder if I would get in trouble if I canceled class to go home and play? Yeah, probably... but only if any of the students complained... \:D ]

p.s. enel80, you are right about "everyday" being reminiscent of the Truman Steps piece. But you did my sheet music addiction no favors by showing me that link, with the link inside it to the pianothemes website. I have printed out yet another 2-inch stack of sheet music to learn!!

#1029922 - 11/28/07 01:58 PM Re: Where Amazing Happens
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
Hey Monica,

I've also wondered if there isn't just a little too much emphasis placed on technique by teachers. For example, have you ever seen some of the recording of Horowitz?? I think that just about any teacher would go insane if one of their students played with that technique, but they would be extremely proud of a student who could sound so brilliant.

I beleive that so called "correct" technique is just a starting point and that we each have to find what's best for our own physiology. Since the vast majority of us will not play for several hours, day-after-day then we have little risk of injury so that excuse doesn't fly.

Off my soap box now.

BTW:

I liked this piece but I did find it a bit repetative. Worked VERY well for the NBA short though!!

Rodney

#1029923 - 11/28/07 03:48 PM Re: Where Amazing Happens
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Your comments are interesting to me:

Monica says: "It's funny, in a way, because I think a piano teacher would have a hissy fit over her posture/form (her thighs weren't level, her forearms *definitely* weren't, and her shoulders looked all scrunched up with tension), yet... she played beautifully! Which only goes to show that maybe it's not all that important to have the proper form..."

Rodney says: "I've also wondered if there isn't just a little too much emphasis placed on technique by teachers. For example, have you ever seen some of the recording of Horowitz?? I think that just about any teacher would go insane if one of their students played with that technique, but they would be extremely proud of a student who could sound so brilliant."

I beleive that so called "correct" technique is just a starting point and that we each have to find what's best for our own physiology. Since the vast majority of us will not play for several hours, day-after-day then we have little risk of injury so that excuse doesn't fly."

Betty says: Now the use of the words posture, technique, position are different things here, I'm qualifying it by description and trying not to label it as positive or negative, but from a teacher's viewpoint, it certainly will be different from others viewpoints.

Please let's give this a "trial" or a "try-it" by going to our pianos and affecting the posture we saw in the video.

That was a chosen posture, I believe. How does YOUR body feel when playing music in that position? How long does it take before you are tired or hurting? The pianist is youthful, slim, petite, feminine.

She is playing repetitious movements, not leaping about the piano. Her range of dynamics is fairly steady (until I turned it off, that is). The piano is very adequate and has a nice timbre. The room setting is lovely. The performer absolutely loves to play piano and gives it great thought and preparation to what works best for her. She starts with a dropped jaw which makes me think she studies (studied) with a performance type of teacher past the intermediate level. I think she probably affects different postures for the kind of music she plays.

I agree with Rodney when he says "I beleieve that so called "correct" technique is just a starting point and that we each have to find what's best for our own physiology." Yes, and for the era of the music, the composer's style and characteristics of his music, the condition of the piano. and the size and acoustics of the room we are performning in. It is all taken into account.

The most important thing is to prevent reoccuring injuries. You may not be aware of the problems building up until one fine day, there you are facing a physical or neurological obstacle because of a habit you have. And, it does not take a long time of practice to do injury.

One of the things I think I noticed in this video was her moving her left hand up and to the right in a fast, abrupt move only to move it again to the left. It seems to be a habit with no reason. Try that movement, too, when you are giving these postures a trial.

Technique is all about chosen touch and mannerisms to get the sound, effect, volume, duration as notated on the music page by the composer. It is also about fitting your body and being into a choreography (dance) upon and into the keyboard that produces those glorious tones.

It is not just about hitting the right keys however many times I have read that.

While she did a nice playing of it, a teacher would hear and put so many more possibilities into that playing. And, they would want for their students to "see" these possibilities too.

It takes the human instrument played well to produce an outstanding performance.

This is a different side of the coin, isn't it.

Each person plays according to their understanding and ability. Many are still growing and goaling. Music is a lifelong path - we should always be learning along that path.

Respectfully,

Betty

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (Atrys, accordeur, ASLevelMusicTheory, AZ_Astro, 3rd Ear, 20 invisible), 1136 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251531 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission