2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Several notes about this and other recitals, past and future ...

First of all, Bob, thanks a million for normalizing all the recordings and creating the zip files. They are well worth the download time. (FYI, Piano again's Bach Prelude is missing from Zip #1. If you add it, just number it Track 8; it'll show up alongside her fugue, and you won't have to re-number the remaining 30+ other tracks. Also, a couple of pieces [J McClellen's Bach? Peyton's Silent Night? I forget.] didn't have the same ABF Recital #4 album title and got temporarily lost when I copied all the files to my music library. Just FYI in case you want to fix. Seriously, it's amazing that so little slipped through the cracks considering the size of the task and the speed at which you must have been working.)

Here's a big thanks also to whoever creates the sticky topics. It's nice to have the Holiday Recital right up where people can find it easily.

I'd be interested in a show of hands from all of you about whether or not to keep the earlier recitals as sticky topics as well. I'd like it, but I wasn't in those recitals and don't know how others feel about having their earlier (and presumably more beginner-ish) works so gosh-darned easy to find. laugh

Another note to Bob: Any chance you could make the zip files for Recitals 1 and 2 available again? A lot of the individual recordings are also gone, so you're my only hope, Obi-Wan Kenobi. laugh

Of course, people might have yanked their files because they didn't want to leave them accessible forever. *sigh* All I know is, I wanna listen!!

And, finally another question for the group: For future recitals, would any of you mind if we included "Location (optional)" as part of the information provided with each recording? I find it interesting to know where in the world everyone is — but I'm such a dunce that I keep looking at the location on Bob's posts to find out where the pianist hails from, and it's just Lakewood, WA, over and over again. (Boy, that'd be one hoppin' town with all of you in it!) In any event, it would be nice, I think, to add that bit of info.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Deborah:

I think we should only keep the most recent recital posted with a sticky on an individual basis and keep it posted individually until the next recital is posted.

In addition to the current individual recital sticky, I also think we should have either another sticky or some link to previous online recitals so others can review all the past ones at will.

We need to be careful however of not having endless "stickies" that take up half to 3/4 of the first page. They are already starting to build up!.

The world famous ABF online recital is a constantly evolving endevour which has improved dramatically over the past year.

As soon as everyone is very comfortable with it, I may even propose to take it to the next level (for thoses who dare!), and that is possibly consider submitting an audio AND video recital piece!! eek

I know, most people will be like....."there is absolutely no way!!", but for those who really want to get as close to the real thing.....it's a possibility!, and "optional" one of course!

Just my 10 cents! (inflation!)

M
M
Great idea Super-Hunky, I loved funberger's little video! laugh

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
FYI, Piano again's Bach Prelude is missing from Zip #1
Actually, one of the rules we originally set for the recitals is that only one entry be submitted. I don't think I mentioned it in my instructions. But that's why I didn't include both pieces in the zip file. I didn't catch it for the information post or I would have asked Piano again which they wanted to use.
Also, a couple of pieces [J McClellen's Bach? Peyton's Silent Night? I forget.] didn't have the same ABF Recital #4 album title and got temporarily lost when I copied all the files to my music library.
Actually it was Pianoga's song that was messed up with the album name. It's now fixed in the 5th zip file. Thanks!
Here's a big thanks also to whoever creates the sticky topics. It's nice to have the Holiday Recital right up where people can find it easily.
That would most likely be Frank, the site's owner.
whether or not to keep the earlier recitals as sticky topics as well.
The problem is that the stickies start taking up too much screen real estate. I do want to like to the previous recitals in the most recent one. That way they're always just a link away. smile
Any chance you could make the zip files for Recitals 1 and 2 available again?
I can do that just as soon as some spare time comes my way. thumb Also, by then, the rush will have died down on the current zips and the bandwidth won't be so narrow.
And, finally another question for the group: For future recitals, would any of you mind if we included "Location (optional)" as part of the information provided with each recording?
That is an EXCELLENT idea Deborah! I will include that in the next recital. thumb

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I can't edit my post because the recital thread is locked, but here are the links to all the recitals:

Recital #1 February 15, 2006
Recital #2 May 15, 2006
Recital #3 August 15, 2006
Recital #4 November 15, 2006

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
video recital? eek

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
video recital? eek
YUP! laugh

An audio presentation is wonderful....for now!, but in a "real" recital, we all get to see the performers "presence, delivery, body movements" etc.

Plus, now we don't have to just worry about what we sound like, we need to be aware of how we present out piece to others as well!

Remember, its just am idea and most probably won't go for it but if you really want to someday perform in front of others, this IS the natural next step!! wink

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I've listened to all the pieces and while I feel I'm not competent to offer any meaningful comment on any of them I enjoyed each and every one. I'm impressed with everyone. I so much loved hearing eveyone play. Thanks for an enjoyable couple of hours. thumb

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
M
M
I'm looking forward to some nice video's in the piano bar. thumb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
[b] video recital?
YUP!

An audio presentation is wonderful....for now!, but in a "real" recital, we all get to see the performers "presence, delivery, body movements" etc.

Plus, now we don't have to just worry about what we sound like, we need to be aware of how we present out piece to others as well!

Remember, its just am idea and most probably won't go for it but if you really want to someday perform in front of others, this IS the natural next step!! [/b]
You mean I'd have to get dressed (up)! eek
I'd have to comb my hair and put on make up eek
I'd have to tidy my house (at least my piano area) eek
I'd have to diet and exercise eek eek

Sounds like a great idea! laugh laugh

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Like Frycek, I thought the recital was great, and I enjoyed listening to everyone's submission. I also don't feel qualified to make any serious critical remarks, since my playing is pretty far from perfect. However, I did want to write something about each and every one because I knew how hard everyone worked and how difficult it can be to "put yourself out there."

SuperHunky:
What a great performance…in every way! The music was rich and melodic and you played it with just the perfect touch of drama and in the correct tempo to bring out its minor mode. Wonderful!

Mel:
Yikes!! Off to the concert stage with you!! I couldn’t help but tap my toe and smile while listening to your outrageously brilliant performance. I recognized something in there that sounded so familiar. To tell you the truth, I listened to it about 5 times…each time, it managed to thrill me even more. Spectacular. Can I adopt you? Just to have my house filled with your playing each and every day, well, I guess I can dream, can’t I?

Peyton:
As always, so lovely, so unique, so personal and so wonderful. I know I’ve told you just how talented you are, but it never hurts to hear it again. To take an old and trite song and breathe new life into it the way you did is as special as you are. I loved it.

J_McClellan
That’s Bach! Gee…I always thought I didn’t him that much. What great playing for only taking lessons for such a short time. Hey, it’s great playing no matter how long you’ve been taking lessons. I have a 1913 Lyon and Healy Grand. But yours sounds much better than mine, or it could possibly be that you are a better pianist. Congratulations.

Ragnhild:
More Bach. I guess I had better pull out that book of his music I bought several months ago. Your playing was so precise and delicate, so suited for his music. Excellent command of the keyboard. Light and airy, quite lovely.

Icekid767 (Hawk):
Great…after I heard your rendition of the same piece I played, I wanted to bury my head in the sand. I definitely love that jazzy touch; in fact, I loved it all. Now aren’t you glad you came back to the piano…so are we!! Really super performance.

Piano again:
No kidding. I thought I was in some huge cathedral. What control and focus. Maybe that’s why I can’t “do” Bach. But I am certainly glad that you can. It was “heaven” to the ears. Extremely enjoyable.

Euan Morrison:
So beautifully haunting. You have a definite feel for this piece, and it sounds lovely under your fingers. Be proud of yourself. You’ve come so far in such a short time.

Frycek:
There is no sense in my trying to be impartial here. This particular piece is beyond beautiful and,Frycek, you played it perfectly. You do Chopin proud. I definitely am going to record it on my computer so I have it handy whenever I feel the need for a pat on my soul. Brava to you, dear heart.

Kawaigirl1:
I haven’t read all the threads on this post yet, so maybe this has been addressed previously. I couldn’t hear your recording. It was so soft. BUT what I managed to glean from holding my laptop up to my ears, it sounded quite charming and very well played. Perhaps you can post again. I really would like to hear it as it should be heard.

Rockpeter (Peter):
I can see why you loved this piece the moment you heard it. It is so lovely…lilting and sad. You played it wonderfully…with a gentle touch and a quiet respect. Excellent performance.

Monica Kern:
Truly elegant and stately playing, Monica. It’s a gorgeous piece to begin with, but you made it sound even more so. Superb!

dh (Deborah):
I find it amazing that you’ve only been playing two months (is everyone saying this?). You did a more than admirable job, and I know you will continue to do well in the months and years to come. Welcome to the forum. By the way, I like slow songs too. Good for you!!

loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen):
Hey, I read somewhere I won the “Crappiest Recording” prize. I humbly accept. But I have to thank those who made this possible. First, my ego, that lives in fear of hitting the wrong notes thus making my playing uneven and rushed. Second, a really squeaky chair, and last, and certainly least, my inability to figure out that darn Audacity program and where to put my cheap mic. Thanks again to all for making this experience one I will always “cherish.” laugh

Copper:
It was a “joy” hearing you play. A little softly, but those chords rang out solid and true. Excellent. A wonderful choice, I might add.

Mahlzeit:
It took me about 15 seconds to recognize the melody (although the title should have been a clue). You are quite creative, and it certainly is a whole new approach for improvisation. I respect your ability to do this and also I thought you played very well, indeed. And…it certainly was spooky!

Sandy Moore:
Sandy, I can understand why you got goose bumps. Again, another one of those haunting and soulful melodies that just begs to be played. And I thought you played it wonderfully. I didn’t hear any wrong notes at all, just a lot of sparkling arpeggios and dynamic chords. Excellent.

Rocky:
I’ve always loved this song…the words and melody are pure and simple and true. Your playing was even and strong and wonderful. Congratulations on being a self-taught pianist. Be very proud of yourself and keep the faith. I know the frustration that comes with trying to teach yourself. But little by little, that light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting brighter and brighter.

PootieTooGood (Tarik):
What an ambitious performance! I’ve never heard much of Brahms before, and the music is somewhat unusual in the true “romantic” sense of the word. However, I thought you played with authority and confidence and certainly have the requisite technique. A strong and splendid concert.

Patty39:
Patty, that was really super. Honest! I especially loved that dramatic section near the end, the big chord part. What a great song and how wonderfully you played it. And only after two years of teaching yourself. Congratulations on your obvious progress. It’s very kind of you to want to thank this forum; I do also. It is a valued life-line, filled with terrific people like you

Monster M&H, (Les):
You are master of your domain, Les…the piano. Easy, relaxed and lyrical performance. Thoroughly enjoyed listening and wishing I could play half as well.

Mike White)
Hi Mike: You’re still my hero. Unusual but wonderfully played version of this piece. I liked the chime effect. That couldn’t have been easy, but you certainly made it sound so. It’s almost making me want to go out and do some Christmas shopping. Excellent performance.

Nighteyes
Excellent. I play this piece everyday for a warm up and always find it lovely because, as you say, you can put whatever emotion or lack of into it. For 6 months, a very fine performance. The trick to this piece (and one that I’m still working on) is getting the legato as smooth as possible. My teacher told me once that you shouldn’t hear a break between measures…and certainly not between LH and RH. Difficult to say the least. And also she suggested no pedal. Yikes, I was depending on it too much. Anyhow, keep up the good work. You are doing a super job.

Balladeer:
How very lovely! Your piano sounded so bright and clear, and you played this great old standard with lots of love and feeling. Strangely enough, I was just singing this tune to myself, thinking about how Frank Sinatra sang it. I envy you your talent. A really super performance in every way.

NancyM333:
Was that Rubinstein I was listening to? Wow!! Terrific! Since our Chopin group is working on it, we all know how difficult it is to play. I’m hoping to maybe get it (at least) listenable by March! Again, a truly professional and exciting performance.

TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner)
Dennis, you have absolutely nothing to apologize for. Your playing was wonderful - light and bright and gentle to bring out the almost mystical feel of this piece. I’ve never heard it before, but I loved it. As far as the mishaps of recording…we all have some frustrating stories to tell. I was once almost finished recording a Chopin prelude (the best I’ve ever played it) when a fly landed on my music and (forgetting I was recording) I stopped playing and tried to swat it, knocking all my music down on the floor. Very nicely played indeed.

Bluemarine
You played wonderfully with a definite feel for the music. I enjoyed the waltz section better than the introduction. The piece certainly has a Russian sound to it. Different, but intriguing. Bravo!

AdagioM (Michele)
Very charming piece, and you played it with grace and style. Very nice.

Serge88
Bach certainly seems to be a favorite here. I like the tempo with which you played. I can never seem to speed it up very much. And, of course, your legato was perfect. Congratulations.

Mountain Ash:
I loved that bouncing ball!! You’re doing just great as a relative beginner. And the recording sounded just fine to me. Good luck and keep on playing. I look forward to hearing you again at the next recital.

Seaside_Lee
So very sweet. I was waiting for Bing Crosby to chime in at any moment. You can quit your day job and get one at a piano bar some where in town. You really have a natural touch and a great ear. Brilliant playing.

Funburger;
Now I know why you chose your name! What a absolutely charming and well played performance. That’s a difficult piece to take on for only playing for 9 months, and you did just great. I liked watching your hands moving across the keys. They barely seemed to touch…very light and bright. Very, very enjoyable.

LisztAddict
Probably one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and you certainly did it justice. I could listen to it over and over and over again. Another beyond wonderful performance. I loved your arrangement also. Thank you so much for choosing it to play and giving us the gift of getting to hear it.

psychopianoman (Allen Clark)
What a wonderful and joyful rendition of this lovely song. Your arrangement was super and your playing even more so. Wish I had the talent to “throw” something together as easily as you do. Perfect!

Pianoga (Pieter)
I don’t remember what I was playing when taking lessons for only 2 months, but I know I never sounded as good as you. That red dot is a mind-freak but once you’ve learned to tame it, it’s going to be smooth sailing (yeah, right!). Anyhow, I thought your performance was just fine. Congratulations on your progress.

BobMuir
Bob, my daughter used to cry whenever I played this song. She was crying at the thought of there being no place for the baby Jesus and not at my playing (at least that’s what I think.). To this day, at the age of 37, she still gets weepy. Anyhow, I thought your playing was lovely…gentle and sweet, as it should be played. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And yeah, we have to figure out something to get rid of the red dot jitters. I’m going to come up with some evil scheme one of these days. Great, Bob.

Opus45 (Jeff)
Here are your ego-boosting comments, Jeff. So beautiful and so beautifully played. Delicate with a perfectly light touch for that lovely melody to come through. I just loved it! And thank you for the words…very moving.

reliv4all (my son Matthew)
You have to be extremely proud of your son. He belongs on the concert stage. Extremely gifted and astounding to listen to. Please tell him I wish him the very best in his chosen advocation. Amazing, to say the least.

Haizel
I am so sorry, but I couldn’t hear your submission. Maybe you can post it again in the piano bar.

The End...I hope I didn't leave anyone out. eek

Bravos and bravas to everyone who participated. I sincerely enjoyed listening to everyone, and I am so proud to be a part of these great group. smile

Kathleen

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
would you believe I had this taken in anticipation of Mr super-hunkys video suggestion??
[Linked Image]

OK...would you believe.... we both stood up in the brother-in-laws wedding, the bride/bridesmaids got dressed at our house...had the photographer take some pics... laugh

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Is this Mr & Mrs MonsterMash and the Monster itself?

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That it is laugh
[Linked Image]

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Monster M&H--i love those pics, beautiful.

thank-you for everyone listening to the piece i submitted, for clarification for everyone who has asked the difference between sugar plum fairy and candy fairy, same thing, just different name.
ps i cant tell the jello story and do it any justice at this point......

A Note for you guys,
also i know i have said this before, but my, oh my, this recital just rocks!!! you guys put forth alot of effort and portrayed such beauty in your playing, i cant compare this to any experience ever, i can only say this recital rocks to the highest degree and i am proud to be part of such wonderful group of pianists!!!!

Thank-YOU again,
signed,
touched and teary eyed

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Monster:

Those are a couple of great pics! Looks like you will be ready for a "video recital" should we have one in the future.

Btw, you should post up those pics in the "Show us your pics" thread....would'nt want these to get lost, they are very nice.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree with super-hunky, Monster... those are GREAT pictures and should be immortalized in the "show us your pics" thread.

You mean you're not always that dressed up? wink

p.s. to super-hunky: It will be a long, cold day in you-know-where before I post any videos of myself playing. laugh It's hard enough to press that red dot. I don't want the pressure of trying to keep my face calm through each and every mistake.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Monster M&H:

What a beautiful couple! Gorgeous pics!! thumb

RockPeter!!! Thats the song that made me start learning piano. God I love this tune, I remember playing the game and everytime that song was in the back ground it really pulled at the heart strings. Its still alittle much for me but I would say another 6 months. Only been playing 3 ( I have moonlight sonata down) and I'll get it

thank you again

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice playing. Felt like a piece we hear sitting at a lounge with a good drink and enjoying the time smile Good job.

Excellent finger work. Nice piece to hear. Enjoyed the piece.

A beautiful piece to relax to. Nice melody and you play it well. Nice timing good feeling song. Might want to learn this one.

Nice playing. Good job with interpretation. You gave it your touch.

Wow this was....oops must respect your wishes smile

Get Bach to your playing...heheh..just had to say that. Good job with it.

More to come.

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission