Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1032206 - 11/15/06 01:03 AM Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Please utilize this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #4 that is taking place in the Recital Room.

When providing opinion or critique of the performances, please try to limit yourself to a single post - either write notes and post at the end or create a post and edit it as you go along.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will.

Critical discussion should take place in the Recital #4 Critical Discussion Room .

- - - - - - - - - - -
Previous recitals:
Recital #1 February 15, 2006
Recital #2 May 15, 2006
Recital #3 August 15, 2006
Recital #4 November 15, 2006

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1032207 - 11/15/06 03:55 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
What a great experience to start the day with a concert, thank you so much, Bob for making it happen

I have listened to a little more than half of the perfomances and I think it is time for a break with some refreshments \:D (fact is I have to work).

I want to thank Frycek for recording the Chopin: "Lullaby little Jesus" which I have never heard before. It is so beutifully played.

Also thanks to Bluemarine for the Christmas tree piece by Vladimir Ivanovich Rebikov. I have never heard about the composer but I like the music and Bluemarine, you play like a professional.

Deborah, your Silent Night is just impressing after only 2 months !

Tarik: very, very nicely played - this Brahms Intermezzo is really one of my fauvorite pieces. I have given it up, but after hearing how beutiful it can be, I will try again. \:\)

Kathleen: Lovely version of the chestnuts !

Monica: You made me dream myself away..

reliv4all (Matthew): IMO you belong to the Pianist Corner.

Balladeer: I think you are my favourite playing-by ear, wish I could do that myself..

Pieter: Hard work or natural talent (both) ?

Funburger: Your Video is magic !

LisztAddict : I am just proud to play at the same recital as you.

The quality of everything I have listened to is so good to be just amateurs, I have run out of compliments !

Ragnhild

#1032208 - 11/15/06 04:27 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Good Morning everyone

Just starting to listen

From the top then...

1. Mr Super-Hunky

This is IMHO your best yet...you captured the beauty and haunting melody of the piece beautifully and somehow made it with your own

Loved it, Bravo

2. Mel

What can I say that was simply gorgeous...almost ragtime-ish, loved it from the first note to the last...that run at the end! I need to know how you did that...STUNNING!

3. StephenC

I am already a big fan...you don't disappoint at all...I don't have words to say how much I love your playing it sounds just simply wonderful...I want a signed copy of your first album

4. Peyton Higgison

I am really starting to feel Christmassy now...what a wonderful original version of an old favourite, thanks

5. J_McClellan

weekly lessons since January 2006??? WOW!!! you and your teacher should be very proud...you sound like you must be practising 37 hours a day like I do LOL

6. Ragnhild

No Xmas piece? doesn't matter because that is beautiful, sounds perfect to my ears...thanks

7. Icekid

10 months!! you're kidding right? and a kid (I want to be you!!)

from the moment you played that intro I knew I was going to love this and that was just so jazzy. How the heck have you learned to play like that in 10 months?????

probably my favourite so far

8. Piano again

Nice playing thanks, sounds polished to me

9. Euan Morrison

Well it aint Christmassy Euan as you say...but, man its beautiful, I always look forward to hearing your piece and I love it...loved the fade away and the whole gentleness of the piece

10. Frycek

I am unfamiliar with this piece...but you played it beautifully, an exceptional talent... thanks

11. Kawaigirl1

You have such a wonderful touch and it always sounds like everything you play is effortless for you to play...its just so perfect isn't it?, lovely

12. Rockpeter (Peter)

delightful, loved it

This recital is once again even better (I can't believe how good the music is so far!! this is heaven)

13. Monica Kern

Oh Monica...that was as beautiful as it was haunting...what a lovely arrangement of the "Holly and the Ivy"

14. dh (Deborah)

Short and sweet, very nice...welcome to the recital...see, recording its not all that bad is it? Make sure you keep your recordings as they will be great to listen back to in years to come. Who knows, maybe next stop Carneghie Hall?

congrats you've earned your "red dot"

15. loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen)

hey it doesn't matter about the recording quality...your playing sounded wonderful

16. Copper

It may be simple as you say but, its beautiful in its simplicity...Merry christmas to you too Copper.

17. mahlzeit

Matthijs you are so talented, I wish I had taken to pianomagic as quickly as you, what a haunting version of an old favourite...simply superb. BTW I will pick your brains on this one (over there)

Stunning but, for someone who has been playing for a whole year!!! its unbelievable

18. Sandy Moore

Your teacher gave you goosebumps and your playing of this had the same effect on me...beautiful

I am loving this more than words can say

19. rocky

glad you made this one ;\) rocky my friend your playing is just wonderful you get better and better!(I also want a signed copy of your first album!!)

20. PootieTooGood (Tarik)

Delightful, I enjoyed your playing...I even liked the click of the recorder at the start (made me feel like I was in th room with you)

thanks for the music

21. Patty39

A lovely piece (one of my favourites) and you played it beautifully ...the recording quality sounded fine to me. thanks for the music, well played

22. YamahaG3&P-80 (Mike White)

Mike as always I want to play as good as you...I love the way you so easily build the emotion and drama toward the end. Nice contrast with the electric piano sound in the middle

23. Nighteyes

beautiful playing once again, what a lovely touch you have, thanks

24. Monster M&H, (Les)

Hi Les, always love the way you play and this is one of your best so far...I can feel the words mean so much to you as I listen...s'wonderful

25. Balladeer

Hi Tim, that is just simply awesome!!...you could play the phone book and make is sound good...the whole thing is just heavenly

26. NancyM333

Lovely playing sounded perfect to my ears thanks

27. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner)

Hi Dennis...what you on about?? it sounded wonderful and you play beautifully, very nice, very pretty...thanks

28. Bluemarine

What a pretty waltz and you played it beautifully

thankyou

29. AdagioM (Michele)

Hi Michele, another wonderful piece, you also play so beautifully (I don't have the words to say how much I am enjoying all of this...yours is gorgeous but, over too soon...MORE!)

I shall be listening to this recital in my car for weeks to come (no kidding its awesome!)

30. Serge88

You play wonderfully, another incredible piece...this just gets better and better, thankyou

31 Mountain Ash

sounding good for only 9 months well played

32. Seaside_Lee

uh? next time don't leave it so late

33. Funburger

Wahoo!!!..that video was awesome...loved the intro....Best so far (it was sooooo you!! and so much fun!! yeeessss!)

to be continued...

#1032209 - 11/15/06 04:52 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Good evening everyone!

1. Mr S-H, I love it, huge bass hits, high trills. I agree with Lee, this is one of your best...was that a key change at about 3.05 in?

2. Dannylux - that was 4 or 5 months very well spent, Wow, this is superb, flawless! Love the trills, your playing is inspiring my sticking to Hanon exercises - it has done endless wonders for you, just awesome!

4. Peyton, I agree, you hadn't the faintest idea how to play the piece...until the theme repeated half way in!...then it just took off!, it was jazzy and almost virtuosic in places, I've never heard the piece played like that, thanks for sharing it!

5.J_McClellan, What a pretty piece, good job on the right hand to bring out that wonderful melody!

6. Ragnhild - very well, (and delicately) executed, loved the trills and the tempo chnanges were great!

7.Icekid767 (Hawk), find yourself a bar and set up shop, I could listen to your playing endlessly, this was a sublime performance!

8. Piano again, boy am I getting jealous of all these wonderfully executed trills, I'm sure this piece is hard, but piano again you made it sound so easy, wonderful!

9. Euan Morrison - glorious playing of a very reflective piece, that soundfont sounds excellent, the whole thing is very professional sounding, well done!

10. Frycek, what a sweet lullaby, great job on bringing out the tricky melody!

11. KawaiGirl, your playing is simply stunning always, you held the rhythm and tempo so well, you made the piece sound effortless.

12. Rockpeter (Peter) - this is one of those hauntingly beautiful pieces and you did it all the justice it deserves, it is obvious how passionately you play the piano.

13. Monica Kern, what a joy to listen to your playing it is. Your playing is so graceful on this beautiful piece - you're really developing a splendid touch on the keys, BTW that zoom H4 really is almost as amazing as your playing!

14. DH - Good job on your first recital. I liked the piece for its simplicity, keep at it and you'll be surprised how fast it comes together for you. BTW, timing sounded great and your hitting those chords just right!

15. Loveschopintoomuch - You've polished this one up nicely, this piece has a very nice melody and you really got the dynamics right, BTW, the ending was nice!

16. Copper - What a Joy to the PianoWorld your playing is, I especially liked your tempo variations, a very sweet version of a glorious melody.

17 - Mahlzeit Silent Night in C-Minor, very spooky, you gave this piece a whole new dimension. It actually sounded like something out of one of those Christmas movies involving someone plotting to terminate Santa Claus and Christmas. I liked the build up in the second half!

18 Sandy Moore - This is a very haunting melody, Im glad someone played it in this recital, and you did it wonderfully, I think your dynamics were great, it did sound effortless to me.

19 Rocky- You played this one very well, it flowed nicely and your touch was smooth and even, this is a sweet little piece, I really liked it!

20 PootieTooGood - The quality of the recording says nothing about the quality of your playing, you did a stellar job here. This is one of Brahm's finest. You brought out the melody so well here, you really played like a pro.

21 Patty39 - I've not heard this piece before, but based on your version I am immediately drawn into it, its sad yet joyful - a very beautiful song and you played it so well, sounds like some big chords in there.

22 Mike White - Your silver Bells was a golden performance as always, you really put some life into this very familiar melody, it would be a joy to listen to you play more Christmas tunes (please post some more!). This is just a wonderful arrangement.

23 Nighteyes - You must have worked hard in your first 6 months and it is paying dividends, this is very nice, your interpretation was grand. It flowed so well, good job! May you have continued success.

24 Monster M&H - This is simply superb, your playing was delicate yet powerful, loved the ornamentation, i'm hooked on this one!

25 TBC....

#1032210 - 11/15/06 06:14 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Wow, almost 2 hours of music! \:\)

BIG thanks for putting this together, Bob! I've been looking forward to today. Lots of awesome new music.

1 - Mr Super-Hunky:[/b] Big sounds. Love it! Have you tried slowing it down a little?

Despite your recording woes, the piano doesn't sound too bad at all. For fun, you should compare the frequency spectrum of your recordings with the others. (If you don't know how, put WinAmp or whatever player you use in Spectrum Analyzer mode. Your recording is very full, while most everyone else's only uses the lower bands. I like the fullness of your sound.)

2 - dannylux (Mel):[/b] Lots of fast notes! I like the tune, nice choice. It sounds pretty hard to play, so you certainly picked the piano up quickly again after not playing for so long.

3 - StephenC:[/b] Nice, quiet, contemplative tune. I like your touch (on the piano \:D )!

4 - Peyton:[/b] Maybe it wasn't Silent Night "by the book", but enjoyable nonetheless. I liked it where things became a little more bluesy. I wouldn't have minded if it were longer, either.

5 - J_McClellan:[/b] Holy pianos, Batman! Very nice playing, especially for someone who started not a year ago! I like your choice of material. The quality of the recorded sound maybe isn't super, but it's far from bad. Enjoyed it!

6 - Ragnhild:[/b] Can't go wrong with Bach. \:\) Very enjoyable playing! And it's one of the longer pieces that have been submitted, and that deserves praise too!

7 - Icekid767 (Hawk):[/b] This whole Charlie Brown thing is alien to me, but I love the way you're playing this tune. Excellent!

8 - Piano again:[/b] Can't go wrong with Bach. \:\) Are they meant to be played this fast? Even so, I still like them.

9 - Euan Morrison:[/b] This Einaudio fellow sounds interesting. I shall have to listen to more of him. Well played, very controlled.

10 - Frycek:[/b] Interesting. Chopin is someone I should listen more to as wel. You make this tune sound really scary. \:D I like the variety in dynamics (although maybe you should have played a little less loud, heh heh).

11 - Kawaigirl1:[/b] Ah, more Einaudi. Maybe it sounds a lot simpler than it is to play, but you play it beautifully. Nice touch! The piano sounds great too, I almost bought one of those.

12 - Rockpeter:[/b] Very nice recording! You take your time and that's a good thing. It's a very pretty piece, especially when it does that phone sound.

13 - Monica Kern:[/b] I'm not an expert on Christmas Carols, but this one sounds very nice. You should take your piano and go door to door.

14 - dh (Deborah):[/b] A pretty fine debut it is! You're very courageous to submit a recording even though you have been playing only for a little while. The sound quality isn't too bad, and neither is the playing! We want more!

15 - loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen):[/b] No Chopin, eh? "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" is a fitting title. I can see folks sitting around a fire, staring down the flames, lost in their thoughts, listening to you playing the piano in the background, all wishing they could put the piano into the fire as well. Nah, just kidding. Nice tune, and a bad recording is better than no recording at all!

16 - Copper:[/b] Simple music is often the best, and if all simple pianists play like you, then there's nothing wrong with being a simple pianist!

17 - mahlzeit:[/b] Awesome, simply unbelievable! (Actually, I think I should have kept a tighter rhythm.)

18 - Sandy Moore:[/b] Cool intro! I'm going to steal it. This is a tune that should be played sweetly, and you did just that.

19 - rocky:[/b] Why so short? If you play like this, we want to hear more! You truly made the piano sing.

20 - PootieTooGood (Tarik):[/b] The recording really isn't that bad -- it has the charm of an old vinyl record -- and there's a lot to like about your version! I didn't know the piece, but I'll certainly look it up. Your playing is a pleasure to listen to... One of my favorites of this bunch so far. And you should get bonus points for making the longest recording!

21 - Patty39:[/b] Hey, it meets my quality demands. By your playing, I can tell you love this piece, and a lovely piece it is!

22 - YamahaG3&P-80 (Mike White):[/b] Yes, that sustain pedal slip-up ruined the whole thing! Nah, of course not. It's obvious to hear that you're pretty comfortable at the piano, and I enjoyed listening to your performance a lot. Nice idea to switch instruments halfway, and back again.

23 - Nighteyes:[/b] Can't go wrong with Bach. \:\) Listening to it is not a punishment at all. You play it wonderfully, especially for 6 months!

24 - Monster M&H, (Les):[/b] Heh, that's a really sweet tune. I can easily follow along with the lyrics. By the way, are you "speaking along" too in the recording, or what is that sound? You sure sound like you had fun playing it!

25 - Balladeer:[/b] It's the undeniable Balladeer sound! Very cool. When are you going to record a CD?

26 - NancyM333:[/b] What I like about these recitals is that they introduce me to pieces I wouldn't have listened to otherwise. Thanks for playing this, Nancy! And very well played too -- it sounds difficult!

27 - TX-Dennis:[/b] The noise removal tool really hurts the quality of the sound -- it always makes everything sound very robotic. Too bad there isn't a "crappy playing correction tool", although you wouldn't need it! You have a great touch. Between 2:30 and 3:00 you get yourself into some trouble, but I definitely wouldn't say it sucks -- au contraire! And if not for those recitals, how else would we conquer these recording gremlins?

28 - Bluemarine:[/b] Interesting piece! Made me want to get up and swirl through the room. Nice playing!

29 - AdagioM (Michele):[/b] Better late than never, and I'm glad you submitted this. Too bad you didn't have time for more, because I really enjoyed it!

30 - Serge88:[/b] Can't go wrong with Bach. \:\) It seems a little rushed at times, but still a very enjoyable performance! Your piano sounds great.

31 - Mountain Ash:[/b] Don't let bad sound quality prevent you from submitting anything. Sounds like you're doing pretty good, especially for someone who hasn't been playing for very long. Your timing is spot on, and that's important!

32 - Seaside_Lee:[/b] Just awful! Heh heh. Nah, I like it just fine. You kept it simple, and sing-able. Too bad it's a little on the short side. (Hey, are those "da-boom chucks"?)

33 - funburger:[/b] Cool video! Cool suit too! Sounds very Halloween. Maybe we should have a special video recital... (By the way, "Candy Ferry"? Is that a special boat that takes you to Candyland?)

34 - LisztAddict:[/b] Wonderful piece of music, played wonderfully. Personally, I would play it a little slower -- then again, I don't really know how to play it at all. Impressive!

35 - psychopianoman:[/b] Nice! Put it in minor and you have my tune. \:D It's still played pretty fast for a contemplative mood, but I guess one can comtemplate quickly as well.

36 - Pianoga (Pieter):[/b] Take 239 ain't so bad. Maybe take 240 would have been better, but you have to stop recording at some point. And it's a lot longer than 10 seconds, so bravo! I like the swing rhythm near the end!

37 - BobMuir:[/b] I'm sure that organizing the recital is a lot of work for you, and I'm glad you didn't forget to submit your own recording. Maybe it isn't quite what you intended to play, but if you don't tell us, we would never know. It sounds fine as is to me!

38 - Opus45 (Jeff):[/b] Very smooth playing! But much too short... If you're going to play like this, I want to hear more!

39 - reliv4all (Matthew):[/b] A work in progress maybe, but pretty good progress it is! Maybe play it a little slower, but pretty good nonetheless.

40 - Haizel:[/b] Fitting to conclude this "holiday" recital with an actual Christmas Carol. You played it very gently, Haizel! No doubt the angels wouldn't mind singing along with your playing. At least, I think I heard one whistle (?) along at 0:18...

Thanks for your music everyone!

#1032211 - 11/15/06 08:36 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
First, thank you all so much for such enjoyable performances. Every single one had something special about it. I think you are all very brave and clever. Braver than me, any way \:\)

These are my first impressions. I just had an enjoyable time listening to your e-cital for most of the morning instead of doing more important, practical and less appealing things. The thing that struck me is the way you all have different strengths– as many different talents as there are performers here, from the showmanship of funburger to the improvisational skills of peyton to the budding promise of the real beginners. You know, I enjoyed this varied amateur concert every bit as much as I have enjoyed some professional concerts I’ve been to.

Above all – thanks to Bob Muir for getting the show on the road, or rather on to computers around the world.

1 – Mr Super Hunky
You do stuff that I can’t do and you do it very well. After only a comparatively short time of playing the piano you could get a job in an up-market hotel any day (No, I don’t mean as a bell-boy…)

2 – Dannylux/Mel
I’d not heard of this composer before but it is really charming music and your playing is spirited. I like the gypsy colour you inject into it!

3 – Stephenc
I don’t know this piece either but you performed it very musically with a nice wistful feeling to the performance.

4 – peyton
This is one of my all-time favourite carols. I listened with trepidation “will someone else’s arrangement ruin it?” but no – it’s a wonderful arrangement. Especially for someone who “doesn’t really know how to play this piece”.

5 – J McLellan
Gorgeous choice of music on a characterful piano. Definitely one of my favourites out of the whole selection given the short time the pianist has been learning.
Whoops – just noticed no feedback wanted – but seriously, I do want you to know how very much I enjoyed this!

6 – Ragnhild
You don’t need to apologise that it isn’t a Christmas piece as all of Bach is so spiritual that he fits well into such a season. I liked your playing on your nice Norwegian Knudsen piano – it’s exactly the touch I want to hear when Bach is played: totally lacking in self-indulgence, yet never cold.

7 – Icekid 767/Hawk
Another really new beginner playing very well indeed. Just imagine what next year’s performance will be like at this rate of progress. I am seriously impressed.

8 – Piano Again
What a commendable aim, to always be working and memorising from the WTC! It has obviously paid off. These performances are more than competent.

9 – Euan Morrison
Anything.

9 again – only teasing. You did ask for it! But in truth, your piece was full of feeling – I would never have guessed you had been playing for only 13 months, nor would I have guessed that this is such a recent work. That Celtic/Italian mix really works.

10 – Frycek
A brilliant choice to fit both the season and your style of playing. I loved the tenderness and humanity of your rendition; qualities essential for playing the music of a man who had so much of both. You have inspired me to play this section of the Scherzo also.

11 – Kawaigirl1
The wistful beauty of this music is brought out well here. Bonjour Tristesse. Lovely.

12 – Rockpeter
A really “different” choice of music. I can imagine how it must sound with the strings added. You were so sensible not to over-stretch yourself and sound really polished here.

13 – Monica Kern
What a fresh take on a very familiar carol. Very festive and very nicely played!

14 – dh/Deborah
For a player with only 2 months experience, this is really well done. Deborah, I do hope you contribute to all the future e-concerts as I look forward to hearing your progress from such a promising start.

15 – loveschopintoomuch/Kathleen
This one made me feel all cosy and wanting to roast chestnuts ;\) I like your playing style here, Kathleen, your true musicality shines through and we would never guess that you are sick of it!

16 – Copper
You say simple – but simple often equals good, as here. Thanks for playing some Handel – I have great fondness for his music.

17 – mahlzeit
What a fun name for a different version of a well-known piece. I do admire people who can do their very own arrangements.

18 – Sandy Moore
A very pretty version of a tune I think of as “Greensleeves”. I can understand why you were excited when you heard your teacher play it and your love of the piece shows.

19 – rocky
This just goes to show what you can do in 20 months without even a teacher. It’s a real achievement.

20 – PootieTooGood/Tarik
Again, a complete contrast. A lot to learn by heart here I thought, and played from the heart too – beautifully done.

21 – Patty39
You’ve definitely done it justice Patty. It sounds so sad… just like it’s meant to.

22 - YamahaG3&P-80/Mike White
Another who is gifted with playing by ear. You sound so confident, Mike. The “bells” bit took me by surprise – very Christmassy!

23 – Nighteyes
So are you a Robin Hobb fan too?
Thank you for forcing us to “make do” with this famous prelude. I was genuinely impressed with the way you played so steadily and am amazed that you have been playing for only six months.

24 - Monster M&H/Les
Fun song, well played, and what a great piano. Thanks for the lyrics too!

25 – Balladeer
Ah, this song is such a classic, and you play it delightfully. You sounded pretty confident in D flat to me

26 – Nancy M333
I know so well what you mean about it taking longer to “polish” a work than it does to just learn the notes Nancy. That seems to me the hardest part. This is one of my favourite Nocturnes. For my own taste, I’d have a quieter bass and more “singing” RH, but as I can’t play it very well who am I to say? Good luck at the recital and let us know how it goes, please.

27 - TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner
So many here who gave up the piano and have now come back to it. Dennis, I so sympathized with your recording disappointment, but it sounded good to me, and no it DOESN’T suck. I think you must be one of those people who magnify their own faults that are invisible to others. Give yourself a pat on the back - you deserve it.

28 – Bluemarine
Clever choice of seasonal music – appropriate yet very different. I loved it, and I think you played outstandingly. Very pianistic. Thank you for introducing me to this composer. You must be one of the very best players on this forum.

29 – AdagioM/Michele
So glad you “went for it” at the last minute, and it’s nice to have some Granados on the programme.

30 – Serge 88
To be honest, I think the notes aren’t even enough - but then again I play it quite often, and mine’s not even enough either so I’m being a bit hypocritical here. Oh, and you should be more perfectionist, not lazy!! (And so should I.)

31 – Mountain Ash
Another beginner that I’m looking forward to hear progress in future recitals. You are at the beginning of a long and exciting journey.

32 – Seaside_Lee
I couldn’t begin to give advice to someone who can play by ear but this was a good rendition, particularly in view of the circumstances!

33 – funburger
Now I know why your name has “fun” in it. I enjoyed the video! You are a natural-born entertainer \:D Oddly enough, we call this piece “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” in Britain, not “candy fairy”. Mmm, I wonder if there’s such a thing as a chocolate fairy? [heads off to kitchen for refreshments]

34 – LisztAddict
You sound very accomplished. This is gorgeous, lush music extremely well played on a super piano.

35 - psychopianoman
I found this a very soothing and restful rendition of a much-loved, versatile carol. Well done for coming up with something as pleasant as this at short notice.

36 – Pianoga/Pieter
My heart went out to you when I read “a few miserable lessons as a kid”. I’m so glad you didn’t manage to let that put you off. Very well done!

37 – Bob Muir
This isn’t the tune I was expecting when I read “Away in a Manger” but it’s very nice, delightfully played and really appropriate.

38 – Opus 45/Jeff
This was an interesting adjunct to the forum’s most popular carol. Thanks for providing the words, too. Glad to hear you are more “on” than “off” nowadays! Well done.

39 - relive4all’s son Matthew
OK, the Waltz is as you explain a work in progress, but what promise! Very well done to a 12 year old. I would love to hear this again when it is finally polished. I think it is so great that Chopin continues to appeal to people of all ages.

40 – Haizel
Hey, wasn’t this composed by Mendelssohn? This makes a great traditional ending to the recital. Thank you.

I’m wondering what happened to Debussy? I was looking forward to “Le Petit Negre”. And IrishMak, where were you? Schubertian, what happened to the Bartok? Shirokuro?

#1032212 - 11/15/06 08:49 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
icekid767 Offline

Loc: Orlando
Hello. First I want to say that I am in the process of listening and commenting on everyone's great work.

I must point out that something must have gotten mixed up, because I have been playing a bit more than 10 months. I wish I could have learned so fast, but quite the contrary. I have been playing off and on since I was 13 (32 now). I took about 10 years off, but started up again this past January, so in essence, I have been playing about ten months after I started up again. Thanks for the comments, though.

#1032213 - 11/15/06 09:11 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
icekid767 Offline

Mr.SH-I couldn't get your song to load, so I will try again later. I was looking forward to hearing it, since it is a song that I play as well.

Dannylux- Great job. Sounds like an incredibly challenging piece.

Stephenc- Very professional sounding. Great expression.

Peyton- Another professional! I must admit that it didn’t remind me of Silent Night Holy Night, but maybe you weren’t going for that. On the other hand, it was nice arrangement and it was beautifully played.

J_McClellan-I have never heard that piece, but it was very nice. The only thing at issue here is the recording, which doesn’t do any justice to the song. Very nice.

Ragnhild-I have a friend named Ragnhildur. She can’t play the piano as well as you though;)

Piano again-you should go and try to get hired at a fancy mall and play for the rich people. They love to discuss their stock portfolios over this type of music. Good tempo, nice and even, well played.

Euan- you continue to impress me with the limited experience you have. You learn fast. You have a nice touch, too. Good job!

I will have more comments later.

#1032214 - 11/15/06 09:22 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi icekid \:D

thanks for the clarification (phew!)

I was seriously thinking of jumping off the nearest cliff after hearing you play ;\) (after 10 months!! he he!)

Lee \:\)

#1032215 - 11/15/06 10:24 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
icekid767 Offline

I thought about going with it for a while, but I don't want to live a lie. Seaside, you are the perfect example of someone who picked up piano playing in record time. I don't know why you worry, you're an adult prodigy.

Here are some more comments. I probably skipped a bunch of pieces, but I'm a busy man and a very slow typer, but I'll try to get to all of them eventually.

Monica-I really like that Christmas song. I had never been a fan of it until you played it. You’ve inspired me to add another Xmas song to my repertoire.

Sandy Moore-That’s always been one of my favorite Christmas songs. I liked that arrangement and it was well executed.

Mike White-I don’t care what they say about “play by ear” people;) That song gets me into the spirit of the holidays and I enjoyed it immensely. I’m not a big fan of the second voice that you used.

Nighteyes-I have the notes for this piece, but I never had the patience to memorize it and play it ‘til the end. Very nicely played.

Monster M&H- One of my favorites so far. I would also like to mention that I am jealous of your piano. I love the old piano sound.

Balladeer- That was fantastic! I will definitely pirate this one and play it during Christmas time while I get cosy by my fake fireplace. Great job!

TX-Dennis- The recording isn’t too bad. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m sure it enhances the holiday spirit in the comfort of your own home.

Bluemarine- Very grand! I haven’t heard this one before, but you might as well be a professional.

Michele- Very nice. Just make sure you pay attention to the next recital date

MountainAsh-Keep up the good work!

Seaside_Lee- I always look forward to what you will churn up. You’re recordings always sound flawless. Very Christmassy. I will add this to my CD.

Funburger-Firstly, I always thought you were a man. Secondly, that was a good performance.

Allen Clark-That was very enjoyable. Impressive that you had such little time to prepare.

#1032216 - 11/15/06 11:16 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
What a wonderful treat to be able to listen to all this terrific music on a cold, rainy Wednesday morning! Thank you, Bob, again for making this happen.

First batch of comments:

1.) mr_super-hunky: I couldn't get your direct link to work, but after I downloaded the zip file I could hear it fine. Man, does your M&H BB have an *unbelievable* bass! And you used it to great advantage in your intro to this piece, especially that deep note right at the 28 second mark. I agree with the others that this is your most polished arrangement yet. (Though I still love your Lake Erie Rainfall the best.)

2.) dannylux: I bet you were dripping sweat after playing the Gypsy Waltz! What rapid finger work. Your playing was absolutely smooth despite the rapid pace. Great trills.

3.) stephenc: Having tried and failed to play two Brickman pieces, I know just how tricky his arrangements can be. This is a beautiful piece, and you made it sound so easy to play that I am tempted to try it myself. [somebody slap me.]

4.) peyton: I am so used to your country/folk songs of the month that I was not expecting such a traditional arrangement... you are truly a man of many talents! I really liked all the fills you used to jazz up the melody.

5.) J_McClellan: the sound quality was better than I expected for a laptop mic. I love slow, sad music and this piece was lovely in a brooding way. I predict you will shine at the live recital!

6.) Ragnhild: Congratulations on a great job for your first AB recital! I wish I knew more about classical music so I could offer more intelligent comments. I will say that I liked your playing. \:\)

7.) icekid767: Yours is one of my favorites so far. Beautiful, smooth jazz and it sure does sound like the Guaraldi arrangement.

8.) Piano again: A very nice set of pieces. My favorite was the Fugue, and I will beg to differ with you... they both sounded quite polished to me.

9.) Euan: I was so glad to see an Einaudi piece. I listened to this 5 times in a row before I realized I would never get through the recital unless I moved on. I think I will shamelessly copy you, and this will be the next Einaudi piece I attempt.

10.) Frycek: What an interesting piece! I'm glad you included the history. As I was listening to it, I was thinking to myself, "this doesn't sound calm or happy like a lullaby usually does," and your explanation helped put it in context. Very well played!

11.) Kawaigirl: Hurray! Another Einaudi piece. This time, however, I won't be copying you. I looked at this music a few months earlier, took one glance at it and then hurriedly turned to something easier. I agree with you... it is technically a LOT more demanding than it sounds, and you did a terrific job of bringing out the melody voice in the right hand.

...to be continued.

#1032217 - 11/15/06 11:20 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
psychopianoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma
Thanks everyone for the comments!

4. Peyton Higgison

I loved your arrangement. Very classy. I really liked the improv the second time around in the right hand. Very nice.

9. Euan Morrison

You can't go wrong with Ludovico Einaudi in my opinion. Very well played.

11. Kawaigirl1

Very well done! I will have to purchase another one of his cd's.

17. mahlzeit

Wow!!! I love this. I never thought of doing a song in a minor key like that. Very good job!

25. Balladeer

Very smooth and relaxing.

#1032218 - 11/15/06 11:52 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
 Quote:
Originally posted by icekid767:
Piano again-you should go and try to get hired at a fancy mall and play for the rich people. They love to discuss their stock portfolios over this type of music. Good tempo, nice and even, well played.[/b]
Hmmmm ... IME they prefer Mozart.

Check out my blog !

#1032219 - 11/15/06 12:28 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
icekid767 Offline

Okay, maybe it's more appropriate in a solarium with a cup of tea and the New York Times...on Sundays. But seriously, I really liked the music.

#1032220 - 11/15/06 12:59 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

First off let me call you guys a bunch of nutballs, in the other thread you all said how terrible your performances were---i must say You are all crazy. this is a fantastic recital!!! i am loving and enjoying every minute of it!!! you guys are nothing short of INCREDIBLE!!!!

1. superhunky-- great rendition!!! nicely played!!!

2. dannylux--WOW!!! absolutly superb, fantastico!!!! i absolutly love this, nice dancing piece!!! i absolutly love this!!! Love it!!!!

3. stephenc-- beautifully played!!! your right this is the time of year to feel freedom, and of course giving:)

4. peyton-- i love everything you play!! you have done a wonderful job of jazzing this up!!! i love it!!!

5. J Mcclellan-- WOW!! you play so beautifully and so well for such a short time playing!! very very very nice playing! the recording sounds great to me!!!!

6. ragnhild-- i love bach, you played this so sweetly!!! love it!!!

7. icekid-- this piece touched my heart. it has brought christmas to me and my home. this piece brings out so many emotions, your superb playing has brought out so much!!! absolutly beautiful!!!

8. pianoagain-- i love anything by bach, and your playing is awesome. i am loving it!!!

9. euan-- a world away--sniffling seems a bit sad, but your playing is absolutly beautiful!!! you never cease to amaze me!!!

10. frycek-- i am not a huge chopin fan but you play this very well!!! awesome playing!!!

11. kawaigirl-- you never ever ever cease to amaze me, from your pianobar postings to this, absolultly taking my breath away!!! i love your playing!!!!

12. rockpeter-- my husband wanted me to play this before but obviously you took me sheet music;) you play this very well and very beautifully my husband is now your biggest fan!!!!

13. Monica-- absolutly love it!!! and with that h4 i am sure it was easier for you, and your recordings sound clear. your playing is smooth as silk. i love it!!!! beautiful!!!

14. dh--sweet!! and for 2 months??? i love it!!! sweet and simple brings out the most beauty!!!

15. loveschopintoomuch-- i was surprised you didnt pick something by chopin.... however this song is one of my favs and your playing is awesome!!! Love it!!!

16. copper-- i love joy to the world!!! great piece to play!!! Love it!!!!

17. mahlzeit--spooky night!!!i love how you did this!!! loved this piece, absolutly beautiful!!! you had me from the first note to the last!!! very very very nice!!!! loving every second of it!!!!!

18. sandy---what child is this---this is great i love it and your playing is just awesome. this is magnificient!!! love it!!!

19. rocky--love it!!! perfect piece for christmas!!! rocky rocks!!!!

20. pootie--very pretty and very well played!! smooth as butter. i cant remember how long it said you have been playing, but i would say this is professional quality. love it!!!!

21. patty39-- beautiful!! nothing better than a love story for christmas!! although some of it seemed a bit sad to me, it was nothing short of beautiful!!! your playing is right on!!!

22. Mike White--silver bells, wonderful version!! you have made this song so full and alive!!! love the switch (organ right?) nice touch. very very very creative and your playing rocks!!! love it!!!!

23. nighteyes--6 months???are you sure you are looking at the right calendar?? this is great, nice touch!!!

24. monster m&h--so sweet to devote this to your wife, i need to download the lyrics later--although i have heard this before, the words have slipped my mind.. very beautiful playing!!!!

more to come shortly......

25. balladeer-- beautiful!!! love this song/piece, always nice to listen to and you brought it together so nicely!!! and my neighbors got a chance to hear it since i was blasting it they liked it very much too!!! smile big because your a hit around here!!!

26. nancy m333-- beautifully played, again i am not a chopin fan but you have inspired me to maybe try out some pieces now. your playing is simply fantastic. thank-you for sharing this today!!! wonderful to listen to!!!

27. tx.-dennis---this is one of my all time favs that i have been singing for years and years. it is one of the most beautiful songs ever written imo, and i think you played it beautifully, i love your playing its beautiful. regardless of what you say its beautiful to me. i can almost hear the words in my head as you played, of course i sang a few. i throughly enjoyed this piece because it is one that i have always loved. thank-you thank-you thank-you for playing this!!!!

28. bluemarine-- i dont know this piece but it sounded nice and your playing is beautiful!!!

29. adagioM--i cant believe you saw the recital on the 13th threw this piece together had it submitted within a day and walah---what are you pro??? that is some fantastic playing!!! beautiful and smooth!!!

30. serge88-- nothing like hearing the sweet flowing melodies of bach which you really brought out in your playing. absolutly fantastic!!!

31. monsterash-- i really enjoyed the first one how you really brought about the springy bouncy feeling in your playing. that was such an enjoyment to hear!!!

more to come.....

32. seasidelee---magic fingers. love this version!!! and about half way through how you jazzed it up a little--sweetness!!! sounds very professional!!! beautiful!!!

33. funburger--what a weirdo!!!

34. lisztaddict--very nice and relaxing, i could slow dance to this, or a relaxing walk. what a treat this is!!!very very nicely played!!!

35. pyschopianoman---man of talent. you threw this together on a whim, and really fantastic playing!!! i love the left hand chords, broken etc. just beautiful how you put this together. sounds beautiful and you were very creative and talented to do this on such short notice!!! glad you made it though!!! missed yas and your green face:)

36. pianoga--oh my!!! took my breath away on this one. i thought and swore you were reading sheet music--oh no, by ear!!!! by ear!!! and you havent played that long--incredible simply incredible!!! fantastic to say the least!!! i love to hear this song every christmas, we will definitly be listening to this on christmas day!!!! a bit jazzy--i absolutly love this!!!

37. bob muir-- you play by earers are simply fantastic!!! this version whatever you have done simply brought tears to my eyes. so beautiful sweet and flowing. i cant put my finger on what touched me so much, but the way it is arranged is just fantastic!!!

38. opus45--call me a tard but i have never heard this before. nonetheless your playing is simply beautiful. very sweet!!! love it!!!

39. reliv4all--12 years old??? 12 years old??? ok one more time 12 years old??? should i be impressed or jealous??? simply fantastic. he is lucky to have you as a parent to nurture such a talent!!! thank-you for sharing this, awesome and simply impressed!!!!

40. haizel---ok i really love hark the harold angels sing, only when you played i couldnt hear them singing!!! so i downloaded your file loaded it into audacity, edited it to amplify and then i normalized and then walah the angels began to sing for me. and i must say this is some seriously great music here. i love it!!! perfect finish to such a great recital. this will sound so great on christmas!!! superb playing absolutly superb and very christmassy!!! i hope your not mad but i made a link to the edited version i did, although i am sure others could do a better job this is all i can do so i did it.... hope your not mad here is your link....
http://www.box.net/public/v5h05k43ex

thank-you bob for putting this all together, this has been a tremendous blessing to sit and listen for the most part of the day!!! this is one of my favorite recitals!!!

#1032221 - 11/15/06 01:40 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
12.) rockpeter: I've seen a few threads on the "Zanarkand" piece here and there and always wondered what the fuss is. Now that I've heard you play this piece, I don't wonder any more. What a beautiful melody. Makes me want to learn it.

13.) me: Girl, you've GOT a metronome! You've got TWO of 'em! Why doncha try practicing to it every once in a while!

14.) dh: I find it hard to believe you've only been playing for such a short time. 'Silent Night' has such a beautiful melody and it works well in a simple arrangement. You are a great inspiration for all new beginners!

15.) loveschopintoomuch: You can't get much more Christmasy than "The Christmas Song"! I thought this was a great arrangement and well-played. A little background noise here and there, though. ;\)

16.) copper: I hope the Pianist Corner people aren't reading this. I had no idea that Handel wrote "Joy to the World"! Lovely playing.

17.) Mahlzeit: Wow! I absolutely LOVED "spooky night." It wins my vote for the most creative arrangement I've heard so far. The piece works well in a more ominous key. I also find it hard to believe you've only been playing a little over a year. btw, the link to the sheet music wasn't working for me. I definitely want to download it.

18.) Sandy: I don't think your pace was too slow at all, and you are right--this is a beautiful arrangement (and beautifully played). I especially like the delicate, light ending.

19.) rocky: "Let there be peace on earth" is one of my favorite modern Christmas songs, too, and I found myself singing along to your playing. \:\)

20.) PootieTooGood: Again, I'm no expert on classical music, but one thing I liked a lot about this piece is how it changed themes several times during the piece; you handled those transitions very well.

21.) patty39: I always thought "Love Story" was the cheesiest movie I ever saw but had one of the all-time best themes. I thought your recording quality was *great* for a laptop microphone.

22.) Mike White: quit your day job, Mike, and go into the biz. I always love your arrangements, and I think this is your best one yet. I really liked the transition between styles right around the 2:15 mark.

23.) Nighteyes: This was a classical piece I was actually familiar with, and it was so slow and bittersweet it made me want to choose it for my pile of classical pieces to learn.

24.) Monster M&H: Your piano sounds *terrific* (of course, I'm biased ;\) ). You are such a sweetie-pie to dedicate this to Mrs. Monster, and I hope you showed her this thread. This is a great Christmas song and I'm surprised it doesn't get more airplay.

25.) Balladeer: Another Piano Magic marvel! I think this piece sounds great in D-flat, and I could not tell from your playing that you weren't comfortable in it. Wonderful job!

...more later

#1032222 - 11/15/06 01:49 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica:

13.) me: Girl, you've GOT a metronome! You've got TWO of 'em! Why doncha try practicing to it every once in a while![/b]
Monica, this is the General Discussion Room, if you want to criticise yourself you should take the matter up with yourself in the other thread ;\) .

#1032223 - 11/15/06 02:12 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
17.) Mahlzeit: Wow! I absolutely LOVED "spooky night." ... btw, the link to the sheet music wasn't working for me. I definitely want to download it.[/b]
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. \:D

Here's the link to the sheet music: http://www.box.net/public/o9uvjhf728

Enjoy!

#1032224 - 11/15/06 03:42 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
I just want to say I've listened to everyone's pieces, and I'm impressed by the level of playing and the quality of the recordings. Thanks especially to Bob for organizing this.

I notice no one is participating in the "critical discussion" thread yet. Everyone is too nice. ;\)

Check out my blog !

#1032225 - 11/15/06 03:45 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains

#1032226 - 11/15/06 04:36 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
copper: I hope the Pianist Corner people aren't reading this. I had no idea that Handel wrote "Joy to the World"! [/b]
The Casio Song Book where I found the music gives the credit solely to Handel.

Here is what an article in wikipedia says:
"The scripture-based words are by Isaac Watts. The music was adapted and arranged by Lowell Mason from an older melody which was then believed to have originated from Handel; not least because the theme of the refrain (And heaven and nature sing...) appears in the orchestra opening and accompaniment of the recitative Comfort Ye from Handel's Messiah, and the first four notes match the beginning of the choruses Lift up your heads and Glory to God from the same oratorio. However, Handel did not compose the entire tune.[/b]"

Whoever wrote it, I'm sure they are proud that it is in the PWABF recital! \:\)

#1032227 - 11/15/06 04:53 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
pianoga Offline

Loc: England
I don't think I have offered comments before on recitals, don't take the following as the basis for your future musical endeavours!

1) S-H: I've got the DVD, it's my most oftened played CD ipod-album. As much as I love VInce, you really make the song your own, you give it the Lama-touch, it's as brilliant as anything you've done so far, It's the pinnacle peak of S-H!
Sound quality is good enough, a bit soft, more enjoyable than my digital though! Do your fingers practice yoga? They seem to stretch without effort!

2)Mel: 4-5 months well spent! It's witty, playfull, fast and uplifting! Thanks!

3)StephenC: I love what you do to your piano! Must be a happy piano! \:D

4) McClellan: Old music on an old instrument, it's a real journey! Very musical for 9 months worth of lessons (This is NOT feedback, just sharing with fellow forum members how I feel as I listen to it right now \:\) ).

5) ragnhild: very delicate playing, love the slow and softer bits, they bring a lot of depth.

6) Peyton: It sounds as if you are working with clay: you start with something rough, twist it, and after a while it begins to take shape, and finally turns into something gorgeous! You're a musician, man! (No, I did not say "Ghost")
(I had to look for you in iTunes, when added you showed up with only a track title, no artist, album or genre info. But you were there in the end!)

7) Icekid767: I'm listening on the computer, with my ipod playing the Guaraldi CD version in one ear. I can't say which version I prefer!

8) Piano again: I'm quite ignorant of Bach, but to me it's supposed to sound like there are more hands at work than there really are. If you only have 2 hands you did great.

9) Euan: That must be my favourite Einaudi recording so far, you just keep improving Euan.

10) Nancy: It's only after 10 seconds I realised I was listening to Chopin! Didn't know this Lullaby, it's very nice The sounds take some getting used to, it's just clever!

11) The melody sounds simple, but like all new age it's about what that simplicity can create and evoque, that's where your skills shine!

12) Rockpeter: one of the great things about these recitals is discovering new pieces. Loved this. (How was it on the phone at 1:20? There's a phone ringing for a while. Must be interference as it is a digital???)

13) Monica: whatever you play, your personality shines through, your piano sounds great too, thanks!

More tomorrow, I'm off to massage the feet of the person who is still carrying my/our baby, obviously no baby yet! ;\)

#1032228 - 11/15/06 05:16 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

...continuing

34. LisztAddict

Ave-Maria...I love this piece and you play it beautifully and your piano sounds really beautiful, your adaptation works for me (I love the part around the 3 minute mark) simply wonderful

35. psychopianoman (Allen Clark)

Wonderful stuff there Allen and in 5 days? impressive indeedy...well played

36. pianoga

For your first recording with the red dot you did a great job, I look forward to hearing your playing infront of the mic getting more comfortable as time goes by...a nice steady rhythm you got there Pieter and some nice contrasts...almost turned into a "cowboy western rootin tootin" version for a moment somewhere in there...I like it...you've earned your "order of the red dot" with pride my friend

37. Bob who?

Loved the build of emotion around the minute mark Bob and the cute ending...you keep getting better "Sir Bob", good job

38. Opus45 (Jeff)

Hi Jeff...for a few years (off and on) you played that beautifully...could have been longer for me what a pretty tune that is.

39. reliv4all (my son Matthew)

That is wonderful at any age but, for 12 years old it is incredible!!! I'm jealous too

40. Haizel

Somehow, its just the perfect end to a wonderful experience of music...I shall treasure for a lifetime.

This website is all about the music and our passion for it, I am proud (I'm filling up here someone pass a hanky quick!!) to be a part of something so wonderful and to know so many wonderful people

THANKYOU AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL \:D

Thanks Bob for all your hard work and thanks to hunkster and copper and Frank and all at pianoworld for helping this to happen

best wishes

Lee \:\)

#1032229 - 11/15/06 05:47 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!![/b]

First I want to thank everyone for the wonderful entertainment I had at work today...I have been unpacking all day and have been listening to the recital the whole day...it's been great!

I really want and will try to comment on everyones performance, but my time is limited at work right now (I know, sounds like a copout)-our inspection lab has moved and I've been coordinating it...or maybe I should say, running around putting out fires...anyways, I started a doc with comments and will post later.

Second...thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments. Leeside, Monica, mallet- yes when I play, I do sing, low and off key-, Maryrose, icekid, funburger-btw, I play/sing a lot of my songs to my wife, just not when she's listening...don't want to scare her.

Thanks all for making me smile…as I know everyone else. It really is nice to read comments from others…good or bad.

Opus45[/b] ..'bout fell outta my chair when I read your comment to Monica to "take that matter up with yourself in another thread" lol what a GREAT LINE...
PTG Associate

#1032230 - 11/15/06 06:37 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Everyone -

BRAVO!!! You know, I enjoy each and every one of the selections in the recitals. After I download the zip files I burn them to cd and listen and enjoy. I have them playing right now on my Bose - WOW! Thank you one and all!!!

Ken

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician

#1032231 - 11/15/06 07:22 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
The first batch:

Super-hunky:[/b]

There are a lot of really, and I mean REALY good people here. Possibly consider toning down the attitude just a bit and how about practicing a piece for more that a day!; the results may surprise you!

Dannylux:[/b]

Holy cow man what the heck was that?. "beginer" my arse!! ;\) , truly and incredible performance (even at the "pro" level"), your fancy fingering and perky notes were just amazing.

Stephenc:[/b]

Another absolutely beautiful brickman piece that you managed to master once again. I will get the music and try to learn this myself based on your performance of it. very well done.

Peyton:[/b]

Very nice improvised version. I have to give you some extra credit for enhancing this sometimes over-played holiday song. You have breathed some fresh air into this piece; nice job.

J.Mclellan:[/b]

Such a beautiful song that you performed very well. I agree that the sound quality could possibly be taking away from how nice you actually played and performed this piece. If you get an external mic sometime, I would really love to hear this song again from you.

Ragnchild:[/b]

I must say you submited a VERY crisp and clear recording. Very fancy trills as well; nice job.

Icekid:[/b]

Wow-ie mister, now thats some super smooth and releaxing holiday music. Sounded just like a real professional cd. I was VERY impressed by your submission. Where's the tip jar?

Pianoagain:[/b]

Another "Holy cow", wow, lots-o-notes!, you are very talented. This (these(, but especially the first one ) would also sound fantastic on a harpsichord. You should try it on a digital in the "harpsichord" mode. Great job.

Euan Morrison;[/b]

I noticed myself not only turning up the volume, but actually almost leaning in to hear every note. It was plently loud enough, but I just really enjoyed this piece; very soothing and relaxing. Thanks for the nice performance.

Frycek:[/b]

Very nice DEEP rich bass, very powerfull. I enjoyed it and loved hearing your piano as well.

Kawaigirl:[/b]

You call this a very "simple" song, but by listening carefully to the fingering, I agree, it's not. However, it does come across very crisp,clean and, well, "beautifully simplistic", very nice to listen to as always.

RockPeter:[/b]

For some reason, I had to actually download your song to hear it, but it was certainly worth it.
Very nice job, I enjoyed it very much.

Monica Kern:[/b]

Monica, you must know thatI have been listening to Manheim Steamroller since 1982!!. They are one of my favorite groups/bands/ensembles??....whatever they are. Anyway, once again, another beautiful performance from you and your mighty Mason. I think I am going to give your H4 a try as your recording sounds so nice.

#1032232 - 11/15/06 07:53 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I had some recording problems... with my equipment and in my head... but I intend to be heard next time.... You all sounded wonderful.... Have a very happy holiday, one and all!!! ~Sharon \:D

1. Super-Hunky - you totally put me in the Christmas mood - the holiday spirit... oh - your playing just sent me over the edge.... I love it.

2. Dannylux (Mel) - Wow - nice fingering - jumping around, but very smooth.

3. StephenC - Beautiful - nice spacing. I felt lifted by the music. Beautiful composition - echo a bit - Brickman... nice.

4. Peyton - I was going to play Silent Night. (My Anvil equipment gave out at the last minute... I also waited until the last minute... - but you - it's smashing - original - jazzy (and give ME ideas). It's just out there and very cool.

5. J_McClellan - Kind of dark, but cool. I liked it.

6. Ragnhild - It sounded fine. Nice Bach piece, very steady.

7. Icekid767 (Hawk) - (gotta love that name - Hawk) - anyway - beautiful. I felt like at a holiday party, with cocktail in hand, mingling with friends and colleagues. You play very nice, Hawk.

8. Piano again - sounds polished enough to me - magnificent, in fact.

9. Euan Morrison - Euan, you have dark side to you, don't you. So deep - your playing is very thoughtful.

10. Frycek - I think this may be the 1st time I've heard you play. Very lovely.

11. kawaigirl1 - Beautiful melody. You always play nicely.

12. Rockpeter (Peter) - nice - introspective piece - full sounding.

13. Monica Kern - Little children with freshly scrubbed faces peering out to watch and listen to the beautiful sounds coming from your instrument. Nice work, Monica.

14. dh (Deborah) - It sounds nice. I was going to play Silent Night, too. 2 months plus self-taught - BRAVO!

15. Loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen) - nice playing. The recording quality was fine. Nice spacing.

16. Copper - I like the intro. I like the octave switch... nice.

17. Mahlzeit - Ultra creative - it's supposed to be Silent Night. Hope PMMO is going well for you.

18. Sandy Moore - very nice playing.

19. Rocky - I liked it a lot. Will try this tune.

20. PootieTooGood (Tarik) - Delightful ... it sounded good. Thumbs up!

21. Patty39 - You played it from your heart - lovely.

22. YamahaG3&P-80 (Mike White) - Interesting opening (intro)... your playing is always great.

23. Nighteyes - Beautiful work...

24. MonsterM&H (Les) - Bouncy - I never heard this before... but I like it now... Cheers.

25. Balladeer - What I can I say. (Sorry I missed this one... I'm glad to hear you... Tim, as always.... just beautiful

26. NancyM333 - Lovely playing

27. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - it sounded nice... real fine.

28. Bluemarine - Beautiful waltz... good timing.

29. AdagioM (Michele) - You play lovely, beautiful piece of music, too.

30. Serge88 - nice... smooth

31. MountainAsh - only 9 month - wonderful....

32. Seaside_Lee - mate - you came through... and you sounded fine....I'm sorry I disappointed the troops this time around.... There's always tomorrow. Peace.

33. Funburger - HUH? LOL. You are just so wild, girl... You're playing is amazing, BTW.

34. LiztAddict - Beautiful work.

35. psychopianoman (Allen Clark) - Thumbs up, good work!

36. Pianoga (Pieter) - creative - The Red Dot will come easier now!

37. BobMuir - For all you do - this Bud's for you... Amazing job... and you played very well.....

38. Opus45 - Smooth, wonderful stuff, Jeff.

39. reliv4all (my son Matthew) - excellent playing.

40. Haizel - Beautiful song and very fitting... I agree.

Congratulations to all those who participated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1032233 - 11/15/06 07:55 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
Oh my lord.....there is a phone ringing during my recital....I told everyone to shut there cells...geez....
LoL I figured this was impossible but here's the reason. I did use my record function on the clavinova and than played it backed directly into my pre-amp,which is plugged in my #3 input. However my microphone is in my #1 input and after listening to your comments about a phone ringing, by the way I had no idea because I didnt really listen to my recording enough to notice...but long story short, the #1 input volume was not set to 0, so I basically was recording two ways....direct and through the mic which I thought was off, so the mic picked up the phone ringing in the background.

comments on others to come.

Peter

#1032234 - 11/15/06 08:02 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Wow...no way I'm doing all this in one fell swoop. I think just a few at a time.

#1. this is one of those Christmas tunes that can get so tiring hearing over and over but YOURS breaks the mold. Refreshing. It must be all that improvisation. Nice glissade there at the end too SH! Two thumbs up.

#2, Boy, we're having fun now. What a great piece Mel. Man, I bet you are jumping all over the place. I had to listen again to hear that great ending. THAT must have taken some time to get down.

#3. Good title. What can I say...really nicely played Stephenc, and a moving piece.

#4. Peyton...don't quit your day job.

#5. I don't know, Bach always seems kind of Christmasy to me. You're going to kick at that recital. Real nice job. Nice to hear that old piano too. But do get a real mic \:\)

#6. More Bach, Yes! Wow Ragnhild, really nicely played!!! Wonderful seperation and great left hand. That was an upright? Gotta say, it sounded like a little electric. Maybe it was just the recording?

#7. Some real Christmas tunes now. Hawk, You have a great feel for piano. Very professional playing. Sounds like you improvised some? Love the bluesy licks. Had to listen to this one twice. Hey, maybe I'll put this on the Christmas party tape. Really feels like I'm in some lounge.Now if only my wife would let me smoke a cigar in the house!!! Ahhh.

#8. More Bach. Good.Can't get enough. Man that sounds hard! Reminds me a little of the Goldberg variations. Good for you to bring it up to speed. You said it needs some polishing but I doubt it needs much.
Great job.

#9. I love this! First piece I've heard so far that I really want to learn. Euan, You played with such feeling! I have never seen the music but I'm wondering if you need so much pedal? A few places it seemed you could have come off more. Really like the sound of the piano too. That soundsfont is excellent.

#10. One of those pieces I've heard and never pursued. So now I have ANOTHER piece I want to learn. Frycek, I don't think the recording did your playing justice. It seemed like it clipped on the louder notes? I loved it though.

#11.Kawaigirl1, what a beautiful recording. I had to turn the first part (my favorite part) up because I thought I heard strings. I don't know what to say, you just put this together so seamlessly. Wonderful playing. Loved the sudden ending too.

#12. Peter, I can see why you like this so much. And it kind of had a christmas sound to it yet oriental. Hey...answer the phone (don't you hate it when that happens:)

#13. Great playing and I really like the arrangement. Good recording of that grand too! Where did you put your mics?(close, far?). Monica it might have been the recording or acoustics (recording grands is so tough) but I bet you could use a little less pedal. Thanks for that.

#14. Hey, a real version of Silent night (not like that Peyton person...). That was great!! And the hammering in the background gave it...atmosphere. Just two months and self taught? You're going places baby!

#15 I always look forward to your recordings Kathleen. That is sweet! Really. I know you didn't mean for it to be but it almost sounds like an old old recording of some one like Marian McPartland. Just wonderful playing!!!! I love everything about it. But now...we need to talk about recording quality. first off...get a chair that doesn't squeak! And get that mic over to the other side away from where you are sitting.. \:\)

#16. Nice job Copper. Gooden simple!

#17. There I was thinking.."OK, how is THIS silent Night?" And then...there it is. Cool arrangement. I like the different variations on the theme. Light, then darker.

#18. Sandy, that's one of those pieces I just can't get enough of. great playing. I like the long intro up to the melody.

#19. Good job Rocky. Great left hand. I had a little trouble with the sound of the keyboard. Bet it really sounds wonderful on piano.

#20. Wonderful playing Tarik, very professional sounding!. So far however i give you the award for strangest sounding recording. It starts off with some very clear mic sounds and then goes into this scratchy sounding old record. It really sounds like an old recording. Kind of cool.

#21. Nice addition to the recital Patty. Haven't heard that in so long. What a nice job you did. Ummm...what's the giant hum in the background? \:D

#22. Mike, did you make that up? Really like your version. I like how you changed the whole feel half way through. Very dramatic! OK...I could have done without the bells at the end... \:D

#23. Nice to hear Nighteyes.I always love this peice and you do a great job.

#24. Hey Les, now that was fun! Are you kind of singing there in the background? \:\) Great sound from the piano too!

#25. Balladeer, I really like the way you took your time. Very relaxed and sweet. And you did all that by ear? Wow.

#26. Since we have been working on this in the Nocturne study group I've been waiting to hear your playing. I especially like your work on 76-90.

All for now. I'll try and listen to more later. Thanks!!

#1032235 - 11/15/06 08:54 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
1: Great job, Super-Hunky. I've always liked this piece. Your version is certainly your own. While I didn't love the intro, I got into it after that. Well done. That BB of yours has one heckuva bass!

2: dannylux, I wasn't familiar with this piece, but I like it. Nicely played. It really does sound like Gypsies. \:D It does sound rather challenging to learn this one. Excellent job!

3: Very nice "new agey" piece. Well played. Unlike mine, I detect no errors in yours.

4: Peyton, Interesting arrangement of a classic Christmas song. Nice job.

5: Asked for no feedback, so none given.

6: ragnhild, I like this piece. You have done an admirable job on it. I always find longer pieces like this to be difficult as far as maintaining concentration. I don't think you had that problem, though. For a piano you described as an "old small upright" it sounds great.

7: icekid767, I like this one, too. Funny, I always thought this was a Guaraldi arrangement as well. I just looked in my copy of the book, and it is the only piece in the book that doesn't say arranged by Vince Guaraldi or written by Vince Guaraldi. Excellent job. I like this tremendously.

8: Bach seems to be very popular this time around. Nicely played. I don't think it could be much more polished. Sounds pretty darn polished to me.

9: Euan, this is fantastic! I don't know the piece, but it is hauntingly melodic. Your playing is, as usual, excellent. 13 months? You're joking, aren't you? \:D I like the soundfont, too. It sounds very convincing and non-digital.

10: Frycek, Very nice job. Thanks for the background on the piece. That makes it even more enjoyable.

11: kawaigirl, excellent interpretation. I've really never listened to Einaudi, but after the last couple of recitals, he's atarting to grow on me. This one is especially nice. It doesn't sound easy to me. Beautiful job.

12: Rockpeter, This is ufamiliar to me, yet I think I hear a bit of Silent Night in it. Is it just my imagination, or is there some similarity in parts? Nice playing and a hauntingly beautiful and interesting piece.

13: Monica Kern, this is a very nice arrangement. I like the way it starts out simple and adds complexity and texture. Very nice playing, again.

14: dh, only 2 months self taught? Go, girl. You are doing fantastically well. Great job!

15: loveschopintoomuch, another Christmas song that I love. Who doesn't? Nice job, but I'm wondering if you're going to win Super-Hunky's crappiest recording award? \:D Yes, I think you have it so far. I'm speaking of the recording quality, not your playing which is quite nice.

16: Copper, nice job. Simple music, perhaps, but you played it quite well.

17: mahlzeit, Spooky Night? Your arrangement is rather haunting. I like it. It sounds quite challenging to play, and you played it tremendously well. This one's a keeper.

18: Sandy Moore, you're right; that is an amazing arrangement. I've always enjoyed this piece in both its guises, but I haven't heard an arrangement like that one. I don't think it's too slow. I think many people play it faster than it was probably intended to be played. Very nice.

19: Rocky, nice job on that pop classic. I haven't played it in years, but I used it as a recital piece when I was 12 or 13, I think it was. Brings back memories.

20: PootieTooGood, there has to be a story behind that screen name. \:D Seriously, very nice job. The recording quality isn't great, but it's not horrible, either. Your playing? Excellent!

21: Patty39, I like this song, too. I never saw the movie, but have always enjoyed the music. I play this one occasionally for my own enjoyment. I think you've done extremely well, particularly in light of the 2 years, 4 months from scratch part. This song is more difficult than it sounds.

22: Mike White, that's an interesting arrangement of Silver Bells. I like your intro especially. Those darn digital pedals can be slippery devils. Nice job.

23: Nighteyes, I think you've interpreted this piece extremely well. I like your dynamics, and I think it is meant to be played slowly.

24: Monster M&H, I didn't think I knew the piece until you started playing it. Then I realized that it was quite familiar. I can even recall some of the lyrics from memory. Fabulous job.

25: Balladeer, I like your arrangement of this Christmas classic, and I like the key change. Fabulous job! Thanks, and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to you as well.

26: NancyM33, a Chopin nocturne well payed. The recording quality is quite nice as well. When you hit the bass notes it almost sounds as though you're being accompanied by a bowed bass. Nice job! I think your teacher will be impressed.

27: Me, oh well, better luck next time. I think I'm running a close second for crappiest recording quality. I love this song, but I don't think I've done it justice. I still have time to polish it up for Christmas, though. Maybe I can do better.

28: Bluemarine, I am unfammiliar with Rebikov (thanks for the link.) This is quite a nice piece, and you played it fantastically.

29: AdagioM, this is another unfamiliar piece to me. I like your playing of it, though. It's quite nice. I'm really not sure what you're talking about when you say it's not ready.

30: Serge88, nice job. I'm not sure where the few mistakes are. I only detected one. \:D Very enjoyable.

31: Mountain Ash, Nice job. I don't know the pieces, but you play them nicely for so little experience. Keep it up!

32: Seaside Lee, this is a very nice version of White Christmas. Very enjoyable.

33: Funburger, Jello on the ceiling? You have to explain that one. It doesn't sound like you had much trouble with it in spite of your insistence that it was a "much harder" version than you would have liked. Excellent job!

34: LisztAddict, I enjoy playing this piece myself. The version I have is slightly different than what you played here. I like this one, though. You did a great job with it. Parts of this sound almost as though you have an extra hand.

35: Psychopianoman, nice job on Silent Night. I don't detect the mistakes you say are there. despite your insistence that it isn't meant for singing, I found myself singing along.

36: Pianoga, nice job on White Christmas. I wish I could play by ear. You put some interesting variety into this one.

37: Bob Muir, I like your Away in a Manger. Very nicely arranged, and played excellently. By the way, thanks for all your hard work in hosting the recital!

38: Opus45, I haven't heard this one before. Well played and interesting song. It's always nice to hear something new.

39: Reliv4all, only 14 months? Impressive effort. Nice dynamics and accurate playing in the fast bits. Great job!

40: Haizel, Hark the Herald Angels Sing; what a great way to end the recital. Very nice job!

--Dennis

flickr

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (angelsong, Akshay, 36251, adanepst, Asmodeus, ando, 20 invisible), 1220 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249689 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission