Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1032266 - 11/18/06 04:32 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Several notes about this and other recitals, past and future ...

First of all, Bob, thanks a million for normalizing all the recordings and creating the zip files. They are well worth the download time. (FYI, Piano again's Bach Prelude is missing from Zip #1. If you add it, just number it Track 8; it'll show up alongside her fugue, and you won't have to re-number the remaining 30+ other tracks. Also, a couple of pieces [J McClellen's Bach? Peyton's Silent Night? I forget.] didn't have the same ABF Recital #4 album title and got temporarily lost when I copied all the files to my music library. Just FYI in case you want to fix. Seriously, it's amazing that so little slipped through the cracks considering the size of the task and the speed at which you must have been working.)

Here's a big thanks also to whoever creates the sticky topics. It's nice to have the Holiday Recital right up where people can find it easily.

I'd be interested in a show of hands from all of you about whether or not to keep the earlier recitals as sticky topics as well. I'd like it, but I wasn't in those recitals and don't know how others feel about having their earlier (and presumably more beginner-ish) works so gosh-darned easy to find. \:D

Another note to Bob: Any chance you could make the zip files for Recitals 1 and 2 available again? A lot of the individual recordings are also gone, so you're my only hope, Obi-Wan Kenobi. \:D

Of course, people might have yanked their files because they didn't want to leave them accessible forever. *sigh* All I know is, I wanna listen!!

And, finally another question for the group: For future recitals, would any of you mind if we included "Location (optional)" as part of the information provided with each recording? I find it interesting to know where in the world everyone is — but I'm such a dunce that I keep looking at the location on Bob's posts to find out where the pianist hails from, and it's just Lakewood, WA, over and over again. (Boy, that'd be one hoppin' town with all of you in it!) In any event, it would be nice, I think, to add that bit of info.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1032267 - 11/18/06 06:13 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Deborah:

I think we should only keep the most recent recital posted with a sticky on an individual basis and keep it posted individually until the next recital is posted.

In addition to the current individual recital sticky, I also think we should have either another sticky or some link to previous online recitals so others can review all the past ones at will.

We need to be careful however of not having endless "stickies" that take up half to 3/4 of the first page. They are already starting to build up!.

The world famous ABF online recital is a constantly evolving endevour which has improved dramatically over the past year.

As soon as everyone is very comfortable with it, I may even propose to take it to the next level (for thoses who dare!), and that is possibly consider submitting an audio AND video recital piece!!

I know, most people will be like....."there is absolutely no way!!", but for those who really want to get as close to the real thing.....it's a possibility!, and "optional" one of course!

Just my 10 cents! (inflation!)

#1032268 - 11/18/06 06:25 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mountain Ash Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Great idea Super-Hunky, I loved funberger's little video! \:D

#1032269 - 11/18/06 06:26 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
 Quote:
FYI, Piano again's Bach Prelude is missing from Zip #1
Actually, one of the rules we originally set for the recitals is that only one entry be submitted. I don't think I mentioned it in my instructions. But that's why I didn't include both pieces in the zip file. I didn't catch it for the information post or I would have asked Piano again which they wanted to use.
 Quote:
Also, a couple of pieces [J McClellen's Bach? Peyton's Silent Night? I forget.] didn't have the same ABF Recital #4 album title and got temporarily lost when I copied all the files to my music library.
Actually it was Pianoga's song that was messed up with the album name. It's now fixed in the 5th zip file. Thanks!
 Quote:
Here's a big thanks also to whoever creates the sticky topics. It's nice to have the Holiday Recital right up where people can find it easily.
That would most likely be Frank, the site's owner.
 Quote:
whether or not to keep the earlier recitals as sticky topics as well.
The problem is that the stickies start taking up too much screen real estate. I do want to like to the previous recitals in the most recent one. That way they're always just a link away. \:\)
 Quote:
Any chance you could make the zip files for Recitals 1 and 2 available again?
I can do that just as soon as some spare time comes my way. Also, by then, the rush will have died down on the current zips and the bandwidth won't be so narrow.
 Quote:
And, finally another question for the group: For future recitals, would any of you mind if we included "Location (optional)" as part of the information provided with each recording?
That is an EXCELLENT idea Deborah! I will include that in the next recital.

#1032270 - 11/18/06 06:35 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
I can't edit my post because the recital thread is locked, but here are the links to all the recitals:

Recital #1 February 15, 2006
Recital #2 May 15, 2006
Recital #3 August 15, 2006
Recital #4 November 15, 2006

#1032271 - 11/18/06 06:45 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
video recital?

#1032272 - 11/18/06 07:07 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
video recital? [/b]
YUP! \:D

An audio presentation is wonderful....for now!, but in a "real" recital, we all get to see the performers "presence, delivery, body movements" etc.

Plus, now we don't have to just worry about what we sound like, we need to be aware of how we present out piece to others as well!

Remember, its just am idea and most probably won't go for it but if you really want to someday perform in front of others, this IS the natural next step!! ;\)

#1032273 - 11/18/06 10:11 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I've listened to all the pieces and while I feel I'm not competent to offer any meaningful comment on any of them I enjoyed each and every one. I'm impressed with everyone. I so much loved hearing eveyone play. Thanks for an enjoyable couple of hours.

#1032274 - 11/19/06 03:24 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mountain Ash Offline

I'm looking forward to some nice video's in the piano bar.

#1032275 - 11/19/06 08:58 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
 Quote:
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
video recital? [/b]
YUP!

An audio presentation is wonderful....for now!, but in a "real" recital, we all get to see the performers "presence, delivery, body movements" etc.

Plus, now we don't have to just worry about what we sound like, we need to be aware of how we present out piece to others as well!

Remember, its just am idea and most probably won't go for it but if you really want to someday perform in front of others, this IS the natural next step!! [/b]
You mean I'd have to get dressed (up)!
I'd have to comb my hair and put on make up
I'd have to tidy my house (at least my piano area)
I'd have to diet and exercise

Sounds like a great idea! \:D \:D

#1032276 - 11/19/06 09:27 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Like Frycek, I thought the recital was great, and I enjoyed listening to everyone's submission. I also don't feel qualified to make any serious critical remarks, since my playing is pretty far from perfect. However, I did want to write something about each and every one because I knew how hard everyone worked and how difficult it can be to "put yourself out there."

SuperHunky:
What a great performance…in every way! The music was rich and melodic and you played it with just the perfect touch of drama and in the correct tempo to bring out its minor mode. Wonderful!

Mel:
Yikes!! Off to the concert stage with you!! I couldn’t help but tap my toe and smile while listening to your outrageously brilliant performance. I recognized something in there that sounded so familiar. To tell you the truth, I listened to it about 5 times…each time, it managed to thrill me even more. Spectacular. Can I adopt you? Just to have my house filled with your playing each and every day, well, I guess I can dream, can’t I?

Peyton:
As always, so lovely, so unique, so personal and so wonderful. I know I’ve told you just how talented you are, but it never hurts to hear it again. To take an old and trite song and breathe new life into it the way you did is as special as you are. I loved it.

J_McClellan
That’s Bach! Gee…I always thought I didn’t him that much. What great playing for only taking lessons for such a short time. Hey, it’s great playing no matter how long you’ve been taking lessons. I have a 1913 Lyon and Healy Grand. But yours sounds much better than mine, or it could possibly be that you are a better pianist. Congratulations.

Ragnhild:
More Bach. I guess I had better pull out that book of his music I bought several months ago. Your playing was so precise and delicate, so suited for his music. Excellent command of the keyboard. Light and airy, quite lovely.

Icekid767 (Hawk):
Great…after I heard your rendition of the same piece I played, I wanted to bury my head in the sand. I definitely love that jazzy touch; in fact, I loved it all. Now aren’t you glad you came back to the piano…so are we!! Really super performance.

Piano again:
No kidding. I thought I was in some huge cathedral. What control and focus. Maybe that’s why I can’t “do” Bach. But I am certainly glad that you can. It was “heaven” to the ears. Extremely enjoyable.

Euan Morrison:
So beautifully haunting. You have a definite feel for this piece, and it sounds lovely under your fingers. Be proud of yourself. You’ve come so far in such a short time.

Frycek:
There is no sense in my trying to be impartial here. This particular piece is beyond beautiful and,Frycek, you played it perfectly. You do Chopin proud. I definitely am going to record it on my computer so I have it handy whenever I feel the need for a pat on my soul. Brava to you, dear heart.

Kawaigirl1:
I haven’t read all the threads on this post yet, so maybe this has been addressed previously. I couldn’t hear your recording. It was so soft. BUT what I managed to glean from holding my laptop up to my ears, it sounded quite charming and very well played. Perhaps you can post again. I really would like to hear it as it should be heard.

Rockpeter (Peter):
I can see why you loved this piece the moment you heard it. It is so lovely…lilting and sad. You played it wonderfully…with a gentle touch and a quiet respect. Excellent performance.

Monica Kern:
Truly elegant and stately playing, Monica. It’s a gorgeous piece to begin with, but you made it sound even more so. Superb!

dh (Deborah):
I find it amazing that you’ve only been playing two months (is everyone saying this?). You did a more than admirable job, and I know you will continue to do well in the months and years to come. Welcome to the forum. By the way, I like slow songs too. Good for you!!

loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen):
Hey, I read somewhere I won the “Crappiest Recording” prize. I humbly accept. But I have to thank those who made this possible. First, my ego, that lives in fear of hitting the wrong notes thus making my playing uneven and rushed. Second, a really squeaky chair, and last, and certainly least, my inability to figure out that darn Audacity program and where to put my cheap mic. Thanks again to all for making this experience one I will always “cherish.” \:D

Copper:
It was a “joy” hearing you play. A little softly, but those chords rang out solid and true. Excellent. A wonderful choice, I might add.

Mahlzeit:
It took me about 15 seconds to recognize the melody (although the title should have been a clue). You are quite creative, and it certainly is a whole new approach for improvisation. I respect your ability to do this and also I thought you played very well, indeed. And…it certainly was spooky!

Sandy Moore:
Sandy, I can understand why you got goose bumps. Again, another one of those haunting and soulful melodies that just begs to be played. And I thought you played it wonderfully. I didn’t hear any wrong notes at all, just a lot of sparkling arpeggios and dynamic chords. Excellent.

Rocky:
I’ve always loved this song…the words and melody are pure and simple and true. Your playing was even and strong and wonderful. Congratulations on being a self-taught pianist. Be very proud of yourself and keep the faith. I know the frustration that comes with trying to teach yourself. But little by little, that light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting brighter and brighter.

PootieTooGood (Tarik):
What an ambitious performance! I’ve never heard much of Brahms before, and the music is somewhat unusual in the true “romantic” sense of the word. However, I thought you played with authority and confidence and certainly have the requisite technique. A strong and splendid concert.

Patty39:
Patty, that was really super. Honest! I especially loved that dramatic section near the end, the big chord part. What a great song and how wonderfully you played it. And only after two years of teaching yourself. Congratulations on your obvious progress. It’s very kind of you to want to thank this forum; I do also. It is a valued life-line, filled with terrific people like you

Monster M&H, (Les):
You are master of your domain, Les…the piano. Easy, relaxed and lyrical performance. Thoroughly enjoyed listening and wishing I could play half as well.

Mike White)
Hi Mike: You’re still my hero. Unusual but wonderfully played version of this piece. I liked the chime effect. That couldn’t have been easy, but you certainly made it sound so. It’s almost making me want to go out and do some Christmas shopping. Excellent performance.

Nighteyes
Excellent. I play this piece everyday for a warm up and always find it lovely because, as you say, you can put whatever emotion or lack of into it. For 6 months, a very fine performance. The trick to this piece (and one that I’m still working on) is getting the legato as smooth as possible. My teacher told me once that you shouldn’t hear a break between measures…and certainly not between LH and RH. Difficult to say the least. And also she suggested no pedal. Yikes, I was depending on it too much. Anyhow, keep up the good work. You are doing a super job.

Balladeer:
How very lovely! Your piano sounded so bright and clear, and you played this great old standard with lots of love and feeling. Strangely enough, I was just singing this tune to myself, thinking about how Frank Sinatra sang it. I envy you your talent. A really super performance in every way.

NancyM333:
Was that Rubinstein I was listening to? Wow!! Terrific! Since our Chopin group is working on it, we all know how difficult it is to play. I’m hoping to maybe get it (at least) listenable by March! Again, a truly professional and exciting performance.

TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner)
Dennis, you have absolutely nothing to apologize for. Your playing was wonderful - light and bright and gentle to bring out the almost mystical feel of this piece. I’ve never heard it before, but I loved it. As far as the mishaps of recording…we all have some frustrating stories to tell. I was once almost finished recording a Chopin prelude (the best I’ve ever played it) when a fly landed on my music and (forgetting I was recording) I stopped playing and tried to swat it, knocking all my music down on the floor. Very nicely played indeed.

Bluemarine
You played wonderfully with a definite feel for the music. I enjoyed the waltz section better than the introduction. The piece certainly has a Russian sound to it. Different, but intriguing. Bravo!

AdagioM (Michele)
Very charming piece, and you played it with grace and style. Very nice.

Serge88
Bach certainly seems to be a favorite here. I like the tempo with which you played. I can never seem to speed it up very much. And, of course, your legato was perfect. Congratulations.

Mountain Ash:
I loved that bouncing ball!! You’re doing just great as a relative beginner. And the recording sounded just fine to me. Good luck and keep on playing. I look forward to hearing you again at the next recital.

Seaside_Lee
So very sweet. I was waiting for Bing Crosby to chime in at any moment. You can quit your day job and get one at a piano bar some where in town. You really have a natural touch and a great ear. Brilliant playing.

Funburger;
Now I know why you chose your name! What a absolutely charming and well played performance. That’s a difficult piece to take on for only playing for 9 months, and you did just great. I liked watching your hands moving across the keys. They barely seemed to touch…very light and bright. Very, very enjoyable.

LisztAddict
Probably one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and you certainly did it justice. I could listen to it over and over and over again. Another beyond wonderful performance. I loved your arrangement also. Thank you so much for choosing it to play and giving us the gift of getting to hear it.

psychopianoman (Allen Clark)
What a wonderful and joyful rendition of this lovely song. Your arrangement was super and your playing even more so. Wish I had the talent to “throw” something together as easily as you do. Perfect!

Pianoga (Pieter)
I don’t remember what I was playing when taking lessons for only 2 months, but I know I never sounded as good as you. That red dot is a mind-freak but once you’ve learned to tame it, it’s going to be smooth sailing (yeah, right!). Anyhow, I thought your performance was just fine. Congratulations on your progress.

BobMuir
Bob, my daughter used to cry whenever I played this song. She was crying at the thought of there being no place for the baby Jesus and not at my playing (at least that’s what I think.). To this day, at the age of 37, she still gets weepy. Anyhow, I thought your playing was lovely…gentle and sweet, as it should be played. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And yeah, we have to figure out something to get rid of the red dot jitters. I’m going to come up with some evil scheme one of these days. Great, Bob.

Opus45 (Jeff)
Here are your ego-boosting comments, Jeff. So beautiful and so beautifully played. Delicate with a perfectly light touch for that lovely melody to come through. I just loved it! And thank you for the words…very moving.

reliv4all (my son Matthew)
You have to be extremely proud of your son. He belongs on the concert stage. Extremely gifted and astounding to listen to. Please tell him I wish him the very best in his chosen advocation. Amazing, to say the least.

Haizel
I am so sorry, but I couldn’t hear your submission. Maybe you can post it again in the piano bar.

The End...I hope I didn't leave anyone out.

Bravos and bravas to everyone who participated. I sincerely enjoyed listening to everyone, and I am so proud to be a part of these great group. \:\)

Kathleen

Kathleen

#1032277 - 11/19/06 09:52 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
would you believe I had this taken in anticipation of Mr super-hunkys video suggestion??[/b]

OK...would you believe.... we both stood up in the brother-in-laws wedding, the bride/bridesmaids got dressed at our house...had the photographer take some pics... \:D
PTG Associate

#1032278 - 11/19/06 09:57 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Is this Mr & Mrs MonsterMash and the Monster itself?

#1032279 - 11/19/06 10:02 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
That it is \:D
PTG Associate

#1032280 - 11/19/06 11:04 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Monster M&H--i love those pics, beautiful.

thank-you for everyone listening to the piece i submitted, for clarification for everyone who has asked the difference between sugar plum fairy and candy fairy, same thing, just different name.
ps i cant tell the jello story and do it any justice at this point......

A Note for you guys,
also i know i have said this before, but my, oh my, this recital just rocks!!! you guys put forth alot of effort and portrayed such beauty in your playing, i cant compare this to any experience ever, i can only say this recital rocks to the highest degree and i am proud to be part of such wonderful group of pianists!!!!

Thank-YOU again,
signed,
touched and teary eyed

#1032281 - 11/19/06 12:20 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Monster:

Those are a couple of great pics! Looks like you will be ready for a "video recital" should we have one in the future.

Btw, you should post up those pics in the "Show us your pics" thread....would'nt want these to get lost, they are very nice.

#1032282 - 11/19/06 01:05 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I agree with super-hunky, Monster... those are GREAT pictures and should be immortalized in the "show us your pics" thread.

You mean you're not always that dressed up? ;\)

p.s. to super-hunky: It will be a long, cold day in you-know-where before I post any videos of myself playing. \:D It's hard enough to press that red dot. I don't want the pressure of trying to keep my face calm through each and every mistake.

#1032283 - 11/19/06 01:21 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Monster M&H:

What a beautiful couple! Gorgeous pics!!

flickr

#1032284 - 11/19/06 02:27 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
minywheats Offline

Loc: Lancaster Ohio
RockPeter!!! Thats the song that made me start learning piano. God I love this tune, I remember playing the game and everytime that song was in the back ground it really pulled at the heart strings. Its still alittle much for me but I would say another 6 months. Only been playing 3 ( I have moonlight sonata down) and I'll get it

thank you again

#1032285 - 11/19/06 07:04 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
Nice playing. Felt like a piece we hear sitting at a lounge with a good drink and enjoying the time \:\) Good job.

Excellent finger work. Nice piece to hear. Enjoyed the piece.

A beautiful piece to relax to. Nice melody and you play it well. Nice timing good feeling song. Might want to learn this one.

Nice playing. Good job with interpretation. You gave it your touch.

Wow this was....oops must respect your wishes \:\)

Get Bach to your playing...heheh..just had to say that. Good job with it.

More to come.

#1032286 - 11/19/06 11:29 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
ShiroKuro - yes, the other famous Ave Maria version is by Bach-Gonoud; Bach Prelude in C major with the melody by Gonoud on top of it. I can't find any good transcription for piano solo for it yet. I may have to make my own arrangement one day.

About this Schubert-Liszt version, I made only 3 tiny changes from Liszt's arrangement of this Schubert's song. Other than that, I played exactly as written.

Change 1 - I added 2 notes

Change 2 - I took out those 32nd rests because I felt it sounds too funky with the right hand not together with the left hand

Change 3 - I added 2 notes in the 2nd verse like I did with the first.

So far, I found only 2 recordings of this piece: 1 played by Lazar Berman and the other played by Valerie Tryon. I think it's a beautiful piece of music for the piano that is so little heard/played of. Thank you for listening.

#1032287 - 11/20/06 01:33 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
dh (Deborah):
I find it amazing that you’ve only been playing two months (is everyone saying this?). You did a more than admirable job, and I know you will continue to do well in the months and years to come. Welcome to the forum. By the way, I like slow songs too. Good for you!! [/b]
Thanks, Kathleen. It was a lot of fun learning the song. I do feel like I lucked out a bit in managing to record a decent performance. I actually recorded myself just playing it over and over again for a couple of hours. (Does that sound awful? It was actually a very relaxing experience as I had simply set my mind on practicing the song rather than performing it.) I am still terribly fumble-fingered with the thing and can mess it up in a heartbeat.

As for my two months of experience, well, I’m developing a headache about that. Here’s the thing: Technically, one could argue that it’s a grand total of about three or four months — but I don’t know if I should count all of it. I started learning piano the first time in the spring of 2005, but quit after about six weeks and didn’t touch the piano again for well over a year. (Long story.) When I got back to it this September, I’d forgotten everything I’d learned earlier and started right back at “Where is Middle C?” \:\)

So, I dunno. Two months? Four months? I don't guess it matters all that much, and it will matter less and less as time goes on. But it is the sort of thing that makes me sigh and wish I'd just written "a few months" when I e-mailed my recording to Bob. :rolleyes:

#1032288 - 11/20/06 01:41 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

And now, for the rest of our musical programme ...

21. Patty39 - It was fun to hear the theme from “Love Story” music again! The music is as lovely as ever. Don’t worry about the recording. The important thing is that you participated — and very capably!

22. YamahaG3&P-80 (Mike) – It’s really something to hear people playing all my favorite Christmas songs by ear, and I thoroughly enjoyed your version of “Silver Bells.” The addition of the “bells” sound was great, and the contrast made the “piano” parts sound even more dramatic.

23. Nighteyes – Your beautiful playing carried me right along through Bach’s wonderful music, thank you. I appreciate the extra insight you provided in your notes about the recording and look forward to trying my hand at the piece someday.

24. Monster – I love this piece. I’ve heard the theme before, but never knew the lyrics, so thanks so much for the link. Did Mrs. Monster melt? Oh, you don’t have to tell me ... I saw the pictures you posted!

25. Balladeer – Oh, my. You surely lived up to your screen name on this one. “I’ll be Home for Christmas” is one of my favorite songs, especially when played to make the most of its plaintive qualities. Thank you for a lovely rendition.

26. Nancy – Thanks very much for sharing your very, very fine playing. The piece sounds very polished to me. Good luck at the recital!

27. Dennis – “Mary, Did You Know” is a beautiful song — and you did it justice, start to finish. It’s a shame about the recording, but I’d rather hear a (slightly) poor recording than not get to hear you play at all!

28. Bluemarine – That’s a very evocative piece; I can picture forests, snow and windows illuminated by candles ... and hear bells, singing and dance music. Your marvelous playing brings it all to life.

29. AdagioM – Are you saying you just up and learned that music at the last moment? It’s a lovely piece and very smoothly played, so I find it hard to believe you hadn’t been at it for a while. I guess that’s what eight years of experience will get you. \:\)

30. Serge88 – Another Prelude in C — and a very nice rendition of it, too. It’s really interesting, and enjoyable, alternating between your recording and Nighteyes' to hear how each of you handled it.

31. Mountain Ash – I’m so glad you participated. Woo-hoo for us baby beginners, hey? The pieces you chose are fun, and your timing/tempo is spot on. Very nice debut!

32. Seaside Lee – You had me floating with this one — and I liked how you spiced up the middle with a bouncy little section. Very enjoyable.

33. Funburger – Candy Fairy, Sugar Plum Fairy ... Whatever you call her, your video performance has moved that music up several notches on my “Must Learn” list. Sadly, I’ll have to play it on a plain acoustic piano. Your use of the vibraphone setting was positively inspired!

34. LisztAddict – The section of the score that you showed us is mind-blowing, but it certainly explains the amazing textures of that arrangement. What still isn’t clear to me is how you managed to play it without tying your fingers completely in knots. Bravo! (Or Brava!)

35. Psychopianoman (Allen) – Nice to see you at the recital. And, of course, I approve your song selection most heartily. I really enjoyed your arrangement although I have no idea what rubato or stuffed octaves are. (I know what stuffed olives are, if that’s of any use.) A fine performance!

36. Pianoga (Pieter) – This is your debut? Good job! I liked a lot of what you were doing with your arrangement of “White Christmas.” Mark your calendar: Feb. 15. We expect you back again. \:\)

37. Bob Muir – A lovely job of bringing out the sweetness of a classic carol. I particularly love the lullaby-like quality of the closing notes ... not that I was glad to hear your piece end, you understand! And I’m very thankful you found time to make a recording to include in the recital. It wouldn’t be the same without you here.

38. Opus45 (Jeff) – That’s a lovely song; thanks for sharing the lyrics. I’ve never heard it before but can imagine how affecting it could be when sung in combination with “Silent Night.” And you played it beautifully.

39. reliv4all (Matthew) – Twelve years old and only 14 months experience? Your son is very gifted! It was a treat to hear his performance, and I’m glad he insisted on submitting it.

40. Haizel – Thanks so much for sharing your performance of this Christmas classic. Your playing is very smooth and polished. A fitting closing piece for our holiday recital!

Thanks, one and all for a tremendous Holiday Recital!

#1032289 - 11/20/06 03:14 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

There are so many threads to follow that it's difficult to stop reading and take time to post.

You gals and guys are super! You sure brighten many spirits with your beautiful gifts that you so freely share. Thank you.

I have recitals #3 & #4 thanks to Bob's zipping, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next recital to collect more good stuff.

Keep up the good work, it's for sure I'll be listening.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisztener

#1032290 - 11/20/06 04:08 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mountain Ash Offline

Dear dh, thankyou for your kind feedback...

On the issue of time spent playing, it isn't usually a straightforward "3 months" or the like... I have tried to make a rough estimate about mine because it really has been an off and on thing for me. At the end of the day I think the most important thing is to participate. ;\)

#1032291 - 11/20/06 01:08 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Ash:
At the end of the day I think the most important thing is to participate. ;\) [/b]
Agreed!

Besides being a lot of fun, it’s a terrific way to learn how to learn a piece of music. I was enthralled with the process. Some of what I learned was completely novice stuff, like ... pay attention to the time signature! Doh. But much of it was the sort of direction that I see stated in these forums over and over again and which applies to everyone (except for, you know, all those perfect pianists out there): Go slowly, notice the patterns, get the notes in each hand before attempting HT. And, most importantly, everybody makes mistakes, just keep playing even when you think you messed up your recording!

I’m particularly thankful for that last lesson. The recording that I ended up posting had sounded just awful to me while I was playing. I seemed to hear mistakes everywhere and only kept going for the practice ... But it turned out to be way better than any of the takes I thought were just "perfect." :rolleyes:

#1032292 - 11/20/06 06:02 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Congratulation to everyone, that was my first recital and not the last.

After listening to all the tune and mine, I'm now able to see what I can improve on my playing.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1032293 - 11/21/06 04:05 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Haizel Offline

Loc: NewYork
I would like to thank every one for their kind words. I have listened to everyone's recital and enjoyed hearing the music of composers I was not previously familiar with. Furthermore, I was so impressed with everyone’s work that I will be adding the music sheets to my collection.

This was my first recital and I hope to be able to have a decent recording for the next recital that I participate in.

Thanks again for all your kind words, and a special thank you to Bob and funberger for correcting my recording problem. Happy Thanksgiving.

#1032294 - 11/21/06 04:45 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Another terrific recital deserves some statistics and a map.

Here are some statistics for Recital #4
(and the numbers from #3 in parenthesis - increases are bold)

Number of Players: 40[/b] (34)
Males: 20[/b] (12)
Female: 11[/b] (9)
Gender Unknown: 9 (13)
Oldest: 60 (60)
Youngest: 19 (20)
Average Age: 41.5 (42.1)
Unknown ages: 14 (14)
Total experience: 229.9[/b] years (121.5)
Average experience: 5.7[/b] years (3.7)
Number of Digital instruments: 24[/b] (22)
Number of Acoustical instruments: 16[/b] (12)
Most popular digital brand: Yamaha 10 (11)
Most popular acoustical brand: Yamaha 3[/b] (2)
Shortest: 0 minute 43 seconds (1:31)
Longest: 6 minutes 11 seconds (7:25)
Total Length: 2 hours 06 minutes 29 seconds[/b] (1:56:26)
Average Length: 3 minutes 10 seconds (3:25)

There is only 1 “unknown” – Off to Hawaii with him.

We lost the 2 new continents that we picked up for the last recital – South America and Asia!

#1032295 - 11/21/06 04:47 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Nighteyes Offline

Loc: Amsterdam
Cool! I would like to claim youngest in that case, I'm 18.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
152 registered (ADWyatt, 36251, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, acortot, 46 invisible), 1521 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153543 Topics
2250205 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
04/18/14 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
04/18/14 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
04/18/14 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission