Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (AndrewJCW, augustm, AZNpiano, angga888, agoriaket, 2Shlow, 15 invisible), 923 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1032296 - 11/21/06 09:10 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Copper: Is there no end to your talents? \:\) Or is it that you have nothing else to do with your time. \:D \:D

Anyhow, (now here's one for the record books...a woman actually admitting she's older than what people think), I'm 67. I think you had the oldest as 60. Believe me, I don't mean to be picky because it obvious you've done a lot of work on this great schematic map and stats.

It's just that if anyone ever meets me and thinks that I'm 60, but I actually am and look 67, well....you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Great job!

Kathleen

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1032297 - 11/21/06 09:28 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mountain Ash Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Copper you are amazing...

Anyhow here are the rest of my comments:

11. Kawaigirl1- Very nicely and smoothly played. It started sounding a bit Japanese at about 3:25... but that could just be me!

12. Rockpeter – ah now this is the one that is SUPPOSED to sound Japanese! Nice playing.

13. Monica Kern – I liked the way the piece started with just the melody and then moved to a full and beautiful harmony... lovely.

14. dh – great job deborah, I think you DID do it justice.

15. Kathleen – The audio quality can’t hide the nice music hiding behind it. Nice tune, nice playing.

16. Copper – Great to hear another Christmas song with an interesting arrangement.

17. mahlzeit - Intriguing arrangement you have put together here, and playing it in a minor key makes it so dark and captivating.

18. Sandy Moore – What a nice little piece and you are definitely getting a good hold of it!

19. Rocky – I probably should know this tune but I don’t. Nice job.

20. Tarik – Relaxing, dreamy music played very proficiently.

21. Pattie – you’re making great progress with your playing judging by this performance. It’s especially important in my opinion to play pieces that resinate with you like you have.

22. Mike – I liked this song, and the way it heats up half way through. Very clever use of digital voice as well.

23. Nighteyes –You make this piece sound a lot easier than it actually is. I like the tempo you played at as well, it gives the piece a nice flowing feel, and the notes are very even.

24. Les – Great song, and thanks for the lyrics link. Your playing was excellent.

25. Balladeer – nice key change, and the playing wasn’t bad either.

26. Nancy – You know I loooooove Chopin. You do this piece justice, very well done.

27. Dennis – I really liked this song and the way you played it.

28. Bluemarine – A Christmas piece with a difference... your playing was superb.

29. Michele – Those treble notes just sing out over the bass, wonderful!

30. Serge88 – You really managed to get the tempo up to scratch here serge!

31. Mountain Ash – Note to self: please buy a piano (preferably a nice upright, at least 48’’), and some recording equipment; thanks.

32. Seaside Lee – I love the changes in style and your timing is spot on. Oh and that’s a pretty cool arpeggio at the end.

Customer: “Could I please get a...”
Lee: “Hold on, cant you see I’m trying to play White Christmas over here. Honestly!”

33. Funburger – Oh I’m so glad I watched the video, it added another dimension to the experience.
34. LisztAddict – Amazing! That score would have been flying out the window after bar 1 if I had been doing it.

35. Allen – that was a lot more interesting than a bunch of block chords and a melody... thanks for spicing up the bass.

36. Pieter – What???? A few months? I loved the way you changed it up each verse.

37. Bob – Nice job. Good to see you didn’t miss your own deadline!

38. Jeff – Lovely song, very well played.

39. Matthew – Now you do realise this is my favourite song... when I read you were playing this I thought “you have got to be kidding” but you played it very well indeed, especially the descending 16th?? notes. I really enjoyed listening to it. Keep playing the piano, OK? Promise?

40. Haizel – an appropriate song to finish with. You kept time very well.

#1032298 - 11/21/06 10:13 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Copper: Is there no end to your talents?[/b]
Well umm, yes there are actually many ends.

By my count there have been 79 total people in the 4 recitals. Maybe sometime I'll try to put together some total stats.

But now it's off to Thanksgiving for a few days.

#1032299 - 11/21/06 11:01 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
....continued.

26.) Nancy: What a beautiful job on the Chopin Nocturne! I was particularly impressed with the quality of the recording. What kind of setup did you use? I don't think you have much polishing at all needed before your live recital.

27.) Tx-Dennis: I have always thought that "Mary did you know?" was one of the most beautiful melodies in a modern Christmas carol, and I loved your arrangement of it. Wonderful rendition!

28.) Bluemarine: I thought this was a beautiful piece. I will confess to never having heard of Rebikov, so I was grateful for your link to information about him. I learned something!

29.) AdagioM: You introduced me to Granados with the "Orientale" from the first recital (which, ahem, is still in my "trying to learn" stack of sheet music). So I was delighted to see another Granados piece. I really like his music, very moving and delicate. And great recording quality on yours, too. \:\)

30.) Serge88: You are being overly hard on yourself... I didn't hear any mistakes and thought it was very well done. One of these days I will learn some Bach.

31.) Mountain Ash: Your "Bouncing Ball" piece is appropriately named! You did a great job of conveying a bright, lively mood, and it was very evenly paced.

32.) Seaside Lee: I'm going to have to order me one of those voodoo dolls from mr_super-hunky. I am extremely jealous that you can rattle off something BY EAR that sounds THAT GOOD in so little time! Grrrr!

33.) funburger: Girl, if your learning curve goes any faster or steeper, you are going to be leaving us all in the dust! I still remember your first recital piece, when you wowed us after having played only, what, 8 weeks? Well, this piece sounds like you have been playing 8 years. And it was downright fun to listen to with all the effects.

...more later

#1032300 - 11/22/06 10:26 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Thankyou so much everyone for all the kind words, I was worried about this one and will prepare better for the next one (promise). I feared I'd be in the critical room for sure this time (LOL)

Mountain Ash:
 Quote:
Customer: “Could I please get a...”
Lee: “Hold on, cant you see I’m trying to play White Christmas over here. Honestly!”
Funny \:D

Quickly tell you a story with that recording...it was the last of my 3 attempts and it was going well and I knew it had to be the best of my recordings but, I had to cut it short because someone came in AND WANTED TO BE SERVED!! customers tsk! :rolleyes: and that cool arpeggio was something I quickly played on the fly to end it gracefully and quickly (Not sure what I did? to be honest LOL)

Sandy:
 Quote:
. Seaside_Lee
White Christmas. This is wonderful! And by ear! Amazing. I just don't get it!.. You really don't learn how to do this studying classical music....
Yes correctamundo, I haven't studied anything other than what good old Mikey has taught me at pianomagic.

Monica:

Quote:
I'm going to have to order me one of those voodoo dolls from mr_super-hunky
Yikes!!!! Oh-no

#1032301 - 11/22/06 12:50 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
 Quote:
Originally posted by Copper:
Shortest: 0 minute 43 seconds (1:31)
Longest: 6 minutes 11 seconds (7:25)
Total Length: 2 hours 06 minutes 29 seconds[/b] (1:56:26)
[/b]
My Recital #4 playlist (in iTunes) shows a total of 41 pieces, for 1.9 hours of playing time, with the shortest piece (mine!) at 54 seconds and the longest (PootieTooGood's Brahms) running 5:36.

I don't think I'm missing anyone ...

EDITED TO ADD: Terrific job, Copper! I don't mean to imply otherwise. Obviously, you spent a lot of time putting all the stats together (again!) and it's greatly appreciated. Wonderful to have the info. Thanks.

#1032302 - 11/22/06 07:25 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
Hi all, Well I listened to some more and here are some comments...not much, sorry for not putting more effort to respond properly....You all deserve good reviews.

#7 Icekid767 :
Sounds nice. Played well and good overall timing. Like those rolls you put in there and those little shots of speed.

#8 Paino again:
Wow that was good. I liked it. You made the different melodies stick out and played them evenly. Good job.

#9 Euan Morrison
Nice piece. Reflective. Never heard this before. Refreshing.

#10 Frycek
Ah chopin is always nice to hear. Although I’ve listened to many nocturnes and waltzes, I still havent taken the time to listen to many Scherzo’s yet. This was nice.

#11 Kawaigirl1
I like this genre of reflective music. You played it very well and gave it the feeling required. Even flowing and nice timing. Great job.

#12 Rockpeter
Pick up the phone !!!!!!!!

Nice playing Monica. I can already imagine the snowflakes outside falling to the ground while the wind gently wispers echoes of holiday spirit. Hehehe.

More to come
Peter

#1032303 - 11/25/06 11:46 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dh:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Copper:
Shortest: 0 minute 43 seconds (1:31)
Longest: 6 minutes 11 seconds (7:25)
Total Length: 2 hours 06 minutes 29 seconds[/b] (1:56:26)
[/b]
My Recital #4 playlist (in iTunes) shows a total of 41 pieces, for 1.9 hours of playing time, with the shortest piece (mine!) at 54 seconds and the longest (PootieTooGood's Brahms) running 5:36.

I don't think I'm missing anyone ...

EDITED TO ADD: Terrific job, Copper! I don't mean to imply otherwise. Obviously, you spent a lot of time putting all the stats together (again!) and it's greatly appreciated. Wonderful to have the info. Thanks. [/b]
Using Windows media player - yours is 0:43.

I have Pootie at 5:34, NancyM333 at 5:38, Kawaigirl at 6:08 and Ragnhild at 6:11.

I only have 40 pieces, Bob's original recital post has 40 pieces. I guess iTunes sees things differently.

#1032304 - 11/25/06 11:54 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Windows Media Player is wrong. After the song reaches the 0:43 marker, it keeps playing for another 11 seconds. Weird... It probably has to do with the "variable bit-rate" encoding, although you'd suppose it wouldn't be so hard to calculate the exact length... \:D

#1032305 - 11/25/06 12:55 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:

29.) AdagioM: You introduced me to Granados with the "Orientale" from the first recital (which, ahem, is still in my "trying to learn" stack of sheet music). So I was delighted to see another Granados piece. I really like his music, very moving and delicate. And great recording quality on yours, too. \:\)

[/b]
and I'm still willing to give you my "frankensteined" easier version, if you'd like. It seems like a long time ago that we discussed it before; I believe I was sitting in a hospital room next to my hubby, who had just had part of his lung removed! There are a lot of things I'm thankful for this year, and glad this year is almost over. \:\)

http://pdxknitterati.com

#1032306 - 11/25/06 02:45 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Windows Media Player is wrong. After the song reaches the 0:43 marker, it keeps playing for another 11 seconds. Weird... It probably has to do with the "variable bit-rate" encoding, although you'd suppose it wouldn't be so hard to calculate the exact length... \:D [/b]
I don't suppose it matters, as long as the pieces aren't playing fast or slow. And I didn't miss any recordings!

Hey, Copper, did you know you can use iTunes on your PC? Just a thought. ;\)

#1032307 - 11/25/06 03:00 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Many people consider Windows Media Player a piece of junk.

Try:

winamp

Winamp basic is free and is an excellent audio and video player.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1032308 - 11/25/06 03:52 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dh:
Hey, Copper, did you know you can use iTunes on your PC? Just a thought. ;\) [/b]
I was using iTunes for a while. I forget why I uninstalled it. I think it did something that made me mad.

I think it was connecting to the internet without telling me and maybe without giving me an option to stop it. I can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was some kind of spying.

I know, I know it was spying to help me.

I know the MS player tries to spy too, but it least it asks if you want it to spy on you.

Winamp was also distributing spyware for a while. I haven't looked at it for a while, but it was famous for doing some evil stuff.

Microsoft would love to spy on you, but they get so much publicity about their security they can’t get away with much.

#1032309 - 11/27/06 01:07 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Copper, I understand your frustration and annoyance. The latest versions of iTunes even automatically open with the "mini-store" turned on and data actively feeding back to Apple and/or one of its vendors/partners. It appears, however, that turning off the mini-store stops the program from sending further info. Not that that's much of a fix for what is, essentially, an invasion of one's privacy for marketing purposes. Unfortunately, this kind of thing is happening all the time with software for both Mac and PC.

#1032310 - 12/12/06 11:58 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
reliv4all Offline

Loc: New England
I would like to thank Bob Muir for putting this recital together. I would also like to thank everyone who commented on my son, Matthew. THIS WAS LONG OVERDUE![/b] I showed Matthew all your comments and he loved it!

As I have noted in the recital, his piece was a work in progress. He has polished it further and needs to work on a few more minor details.

Maryrose, as requested, here's a more polished piece of Chopin's Waltz in C# minor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmUoDiwJQs
[/b]

Happy Holidays to all![/b]

#1032311 - 12/13/06 01:29 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

reliv4all---thats incredible i watched some of the other videos, how in the heck did he advance so fast in such a short time??? did you just say here play this and waalaah?? you must be given him some piano potion or something!!! simply incredible!!!

#1032312 - 12/13/06 11:26 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by reliv4all:
I would like to thank Bob Muir for putting this recital together. I would also like to thank everyone who commented on my son, Matthew. THIS WAS LONG OVERDUE![/b] I showed Matthew all your comments and he loved it!

As I have noted in the recital, his piece was a work in progress. He has polished it further and needs to work on a few more minor details.

Maryrose, as requested, here's a more polished piece of Chopin's Waltz in C# minor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmUoDiwJQs
[/b]

Happy Holidays to all![/b] [/b]
Only 15 months playing? Matthew is one seriously gifted young man! I hope you are encouraging him to continue with music.

--Dennis

flickr

#1032313 - 12/15/06 09:06 AM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
reliv4all Offline

Loc: New England
Thank you very much for your nice comments.

Very briefly, he never showed any interest in playing the piano (especially classical music) until last year Sept. '05 -- he was 11 at that time. We got him an inexpensive keyboard and soon after replaced it with a digital piano. He has progressed very quickly so we replaced his digital with an upright (now he wants a grand). We enrolled him in Sept. '06 in a conservatory prep school. Prior to the prep school he has had 2 piano teachers where the 2nd one (one of the known forum members here in PW) helped mentored and prepped him for the conservatory audition.

#1032314 - 12/15/06 01:25 PM Re: Recital #4 General Discussion Room
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
reliv4all - thank you so much for letting us hear Matthew again. I think this performance is absolutely exceptional for his age, quite apart from the short time he has been learning. How fortunate that you are giving him the support he needs. And what good taste he shows in choice of repertoire ;\)

Funburger - I liked your idea of "piano potion"!! If only there were such a thing....

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Back to School Music SALE!
Save 10% in our online store
Just enter SAVE10 in the coupon box during checkout. *
And YES, you can save 10% AND still get free shipping on Jansen Artist benches!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
* Sale does not apply to advertising, how old requests, or any non-tangible items. Can not be combined with any other promotions. Ends August 31, 2015
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Yamaha YDP S51 -> And you ?
by Kyfran54
Today at 03:06 AM
apps to read / annotate music
by nastroichik
Today at 02:42 AM
apps to read / annotate music
by nastroichik
Today at 02:10 AM
College/Conservatory Auditions
by Treble97
Today at 12:35 AM
Does anyone have experience with Move n Tune in Montreal?
by East of Blanca
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,587 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,582 Topics
2,440,900 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission