Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
106 registered (661-Pete, AZ_Astro, anotherscott, Barry1963, anamnesis, 34 invisible), 1340 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1033091 - 11/14/04 12:27 PM I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
I was going to play Mozart's K545 second movement for my early February recital. I've changed my mind and want to do something else. The problem is that even though I like the piece, it seems to bore the crap out of people. It's all one tempo with alberti bass on the left hand and single-note melody on the right. I played it for friends on Friday, for instance, and people just kind of wandered off halfway through.

That alone wouldn't be reason enough to abandon the piece, but I'm not looking forward to keeping it in my fingers until February.

So. Any suggestions? I have a lesson tomorrow!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1033092 - 11/14/04 01:17 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Have a listen to the 2nd mvmt of K279 in C. It's quite romantic, it's about the same length, and it doesn't sound so repetitious as K545.

#1033093 - 11/14/04 06:26 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Shrimps Offline

Malaguena by Ernesto Lecuona

Its cool

#1033094 - 11/14/04 07:04 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
Cindy, what musical period do you enjoy the most, ie classical, romantic, impressionistic, etc? A personal favorite is Mendelssohn's Song Without Words Op.67 no.5 "The Shepherd's Complaint". You can find it at The Sheet Music Archive . I haven't tried the real thing, but I wrote my own arrangement for it and love to play it.
Jon

#1033095 - 11/14/04 08:01 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Cindysphinx,

How long do you want it to be?

Not knowing what level you're at, it's difficult to say, but how about Ravel's "Menuet Sur Le Nom d'Haydn" and/or his Prelude? Neither one is too long and definitely NOT boring. (Kenny played the Prelude a few times on my piano when he was here--it was heaven; he played it so beautifully.)

How about one or two Scriabin Preludes? Op. 11 is overflowing with GORGEOUS gems spanning many ability levels. I'm sure you could find a few that would fall at your current level.

#1033096 - 11/14/04 08:03 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
maybe playing a fast Scarlatti piece would be a good alternative, such as his K27.

#1033097 - 11/15/04 05:55 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Can't blame Mozart.

Reaction to the indifferent audience suggests a frustrated attitude which, to say the least, could be interpreted as brusque (snap conclusions), high-handed (it's all one tempo") and indelicate ("bore the crap out of people").

Options come hard if frustration is caused by sub par sight-reading and memory skills. The membership is awash with hopefuls searching for the imaginary Holy Grail of piano playing.

Most who make the distance, manage to get a foot in the door, by slaving at and eventually mastering a personal favourite. Initial success breeds the courage and stamina to progress further.

#1033098 - 11/15/04 06:10 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
how about traumerai(sp?) by Schumann? it's only one page long and it's one of the first that I learned so i don't think it's too hard. one of the final chords requires that you reach a 10th but i'm sure you and your teacher will find some way around that. or maybe this piece is shorter than you would like...

#1033099 - 11/15/04 07:09 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Traumerai is deceptively difficult to pull off. Part of the problem, beyond the music itself, is that it's very familiar. You'll be "competing" with everyone's favorite virtuoso recording.

Perhaps a Haydn middle movement? One of my all-time favorites is Hob XVI:32's Minuet. It's broken into two distinct sections, a slow melodic one and a pretty fast, dramatic one. Definitely NOT boring, IMHO. Also no Alberti bass, if memory serves! \:\)

Nina

#1033100 - 11/15/04 07:10 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Re: btb

"The membership is awash with hopefuls searching for the imaginary Holy Grail of piano playing."

Huh?

Are you sure you're an adult beginner?

#1033101 - 11/15/04 10:28 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Cindysphinx Offline

Ooooh! So many good suggestions! I've listened to a number of your suggestions on-line, and I've printed out the thread to take to lesson.

Yep, when you haven't practiced for your lesson, that's definitely time to spend the whole 45 minutes selection new pieces! ;\)

And Bernard? That Prelude gave me *chills!* Wow! I hope it's not too hard.

#1033102 - 11/15/04 12:26 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Cindysphinx Offline

Well, I had my lesson.

The upshot is that my teacher recalls a version of Malaguena for two pianos, and she wants to do it with me. ::heart palpitations:: Talk about *pressure!*

She also played the Ravel piece Bernard suggested (she wasn't familiar with it but had the music and sight read it for me). It was pretty darn cool. Perhaps a teensy bit above my ability level for January, but June might be doable. She didn't have the Prelude, so we're going to order it.

I've used up my daily allotment of pieces I can download on ClassicalMusicArchives, so I'll have to listen to some of the other suggestions tomorrow.

This forum is great! It's like having about 50 piano coaches! ;\)

#1033103 - 11/15/04 02:10 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
How about An Der Weige by Grieg? It's extremely easy and not boring. I had to learn it along time ago for a recital and it took me no time at all.

#1033104 - 11/15/04 02:22 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Cindysphinx,

The Prelude is available for downloading from here: Sheet Music Archive

Glad you liked it. There aren't too many notes in it which makes it a great piece for developing musical expression.

#1033105 - 11/15/04 02:25 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
My vote is for Malaguena too.. I'm looking for it for me now for my recital. Am considering The Young Prince and Young Princess by Rimsky-Korsakov, but I'm not sure it interests me all that much,pretty as it is.

Ole!

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1033106 - 11/15/04 04:30 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
pianojuggler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Gosh, I hate to sound like a broken record (have you stopped to think that kids growing up today don't know what the phrase "you sound like a broken record" means?), but

How about some nice Scarlatti?

The Aria (K23) is approachable. I can send you the sheet music -- and a recording. It was the first Scarlatti piece I learned.

Toss in some dynamic contrasts and it's quite interesting.

#1033107 - 11/15/04 06:07 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Still better than 'you sound like a dirty CD'.

Does anyone know where I can find a version of Malaguena that is not in C#m?

I spoke with my teacher tonight who thinks I can do the original but it is quite difficult. She suggested I look for the easier one.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1033108 - 11/15/04 10:28 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi Bob Muir,
Thanks for picking up on the "awash with hopefuls" comment.

Adult Beginners is the only Forum with "salt of the earth" members sharing the real world of the piano who report on steady progress while dealing with the masterpieces of the keyboard.

The Pianists Forum is loaded with raw schoolboys who listen to CD's and presume to become authorities on the piano while the uneventful Teachers Forum pedantically debate the stuffy foibles of their keyboard instruction with little finality.

This is the Forum to share if you are looking for fresh musical gems shared by people with a heart-felt love of the piano. Forgive my bland comments but I've been around.

Glad that Cindy has settled for Shrimps early suggestion of "Malaguena" by Ernesto Lecuona which helps us to gauge her capability at this stage.
For my money I would have suggested any haunting song by George Gershwin, Cole Porter or Jerome Kern. Nobody has really put a cap on "Summertime", "Begin the Beguine" or "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes". Alternatively any one of the 11 gems in Schumann's "Kinderscenen" (including "Traumerei") or a choice of nos. 4, 6 ("Raindrop"), 15 or 20 from Chopin's Preludes Opus 28.

Cindy needs to come alive by expressing her own music preference and steadily distance herself from teacher's apron-strings.

#1033109 - 11/16/04 10:50 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

btb,

Well put. I myself feel some kinship in this forum, even if I did talk Cindy's ear off for her article... \:D \:D \:D

It kind of came out in a Sudnow Method post where I kinda blasted someone for what I thought was an asinine post, definitely notin the spirit of this forum. Really hacked me off..

====

#1033110 - 11/16/04 02:43 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
How about Brahms's Waltz Op. 39 No 15, in A flat major?

it's a short piece and i don't think it's too difficult(although i haven't played it). what an excellent piece. sure it may be overplayed(i don't really know) but who cares?
also someone said scarlatti and that sounds like a good idea. i have no recommendations there because i haven't heard enough scarlatti but i like what i've heard.

#1033111 - 11/19/04 11:17 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
ragtimebg Offline

Loc: California
Pachelbel's Canon? If you like it as I do...it might drive you crazy, if so, forget it..

#1033112 - 11/21/04 05:32 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I hauled out Brahm's Waltz Op. 39 No. 15 yesterday and whaled away on it for an hour or so.. gorgeous, but not as easy as it looks!

Some pretty big chords.

====

#1033113 - 11/21/04 11:49 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Cindy - I think you should tackle the Venetian Boat Song #2 again. It's not that difficult. Good legato in the left hand - fun trills on the second page. Go for it - it's beautiful.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#1033114 - 11/21/04 07:11 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikhailoh:
[QB] btb,

Well put. I myself feel some kinship in this forum, even if I did talk Cindy's ear off for her article... \:D \:D \:D

No way Michael - I talked them off and nobody can outtalk me. Poor Cindy.

I agree that we are much friendlier and realistic here about our music. No one is trying to show off or act like an expert.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#1033115 - 11/22/04 02:38 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Cindysphinx Offline

Michael,

My teacher got ahold of Malaguena for two pianos. She's pretty stoked about doing it with me. She suggests I do the Secondo part, which should be a challenge. Maybe we'll be ready by June?

Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you the info. She played my part for me and it sounds like it is going to sound great.

In the meantime, the current plan is for me to work on the Prelude Bernard suggested and work on the third movement of K545, with the second movement as a back-up. Boy. That third movement sounds fast and lively. I'm not sure my fingers will go that fast with performance anxiety.

We shall see.

Thanks, all!

#1033116 - 11/23/04 04:58 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Christopher James Quinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

In the meantime, the current plan is for me to work on the Prelude Bernard [/b]
Which prelude is that? (couldn;t figure it out from the previous post - Ravel or one of the Scriabin op 11?)

#1033117 - 11/23/04 03:03 PM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Cindysphinx Offline

The Ravel, CJQ.

#1033118 - 11/24/04 11:04 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Molto Legato Offline

Loc: At the keyboard
Hi. I'm new here. I'm in a similar position, although I'm probably not as far along as you. I just re-started lessons after being away from the piano for a few decades.

I've been taking lessons this time for about six months. My teacher wants me to try some holiday music so I was searching for anything classical with a holiday theme, and I found the Piano Forums. I need a piece I can learn by this time next month.

I'll look at some of the suggestions above and see what I might be able to Handel (that's probably a really worn-out pun here, isn't it). Or if anyone has any classical Christmas suggestions that I can learn in a month, I'll try anything.

#1033119 - 11/24/04 11:04 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Molto Legato Offline

Loc: At the keyboard
Hi. I'm new here. I'm in a similar position, although I'm probably not as far along as you. I just re-started lessons after being away from the piano for a few decades.

I've been taking lessons this time for about six months. My teacher wants me to try some holiday music so I was searching for anything classical with a holiday theme, and I found the Piano Forums. I need a piece I can learn by this time next month.

I'll look at some of the suggestions above and see what I might be able to Handel (that's probably a really worn-out pun here, isn't it). Or if anyone has any classical Christmas suggestions that I can learn in a month, I'll try anything.

#1033120 - 11/24/04 11:12 AM Re: I need to pick a new piece that I can learn by January
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

When I was browsing through my local music store, I saw several publications with classical pieces for the holidays. Just ask for assistance from one of the shopkeepers and you should be in like Flynn. \:\)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160049 Topics
2350398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission