Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
70 registered (angga888, AndyJoe, barbaram, Adypiano, allakart, AZNpiano, 21 invisible), 1185 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1034644 - 10/10/08 03:41 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
 Quote:
Originally posted by izaldu:
Matterhorn (or Mount Cervino)a month ago
[/b]
.. I can't believe people have actually climbed that thing!

Speaking from experience, often mountains which look pretty high in real life don't have quite the effect in photos. But that looks incredible in the picture, so it must look awesome to be near it!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1034645 - 10/11/08 09:52 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
I always seem to be gravitating towards viewing all the wonderful pics that show up over here in the ABF seasonal threads.

My daughter has been roaming around Egypt and a few other countires since April and although she delights seeing blue skies everyday she told me she does miss the foliage.

So, since I was loading up a few pics for her I thought I'd also add a couple here.

It's not full foliage in my area; maybe another week. But this weekend looks to be clear skies and a perfect opportunity to capture a a bit of color.

#1034646 - 10/12/08 10:47 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
KaylaX Offline

Loc: N. Cali
TerryTunes,

Wow!!! thats amazing color. Thanks for posting.

AspenX

#1034647 - 10/12/08 11:19 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
AnthonyB,

Thanks for the pictures. There are definitely things I miss about Minnesota. Your pictures made me homesick \:\)

Cathy

#1034648 - 10/12/08 08:20 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Loc: Bonneville Salt Flats
An old photographer's rule (that I just made up this afternoon): "If you can't find anything that really fits the subject, shoot a photo with color, texture and bokeh and call it art." \:\)

Or, "If you're way behind in your photo editing, grab a strange one and post it."

About the first photo: leaves in my back yard. (shrug) If I'd made the shot 8 hours earlier, I could have shown the leaves covered in snow. We had about 1/2-3/4" on ground and trees but none on the roads and it melted off pretty quickly. However, it feels more like December than October. So much for our regularly scheduled "indian summer."

Second photo: During September I only had 4 days where I wasn't doing some sort of automotive photo shoot...a lot of it was on the salt flats. A couple of my photos ended up in newspapers, which is flattering, since I'm nowhere near being a pro photographer. In a couple of cases I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

In the shot of the golfer you might get the idea that some people were a little bored. Not me...if I wasn't out shooting, I was editing on my laptop and posting "live and direct" coverage of an event called the "Streamliner Shootout" via the satellite link provided by Ohio State University. They had their hydrogen fuel cell streamliner there with the idea of running over 300 mph. They didn't make 150. They had a bad time with the car, ending when an "overpressure event" (as the media rep called it) blew the body panels off the back of the car.

Anyway, I used their wifi net to post photos and commentary about the event, the records, the attempts and a couple of serious accidents. That was hard. I don't mind posting good news, but I sure don't like to write about it when a member of the racing community is hurt (or killed as in one case at a meet I didn't attend.) I wasn't the only one doing this sort of reporting...for the first 2 days of the event, at least...there was one other guy and his wife who were doing the same thing. We were working in parallel and it worked out fine. Then they had to leave and I got the whole job for the last few of days. It was a lot like work.

Little things like the "overpressure event" (I love that euphemism,) a couple of crashes (and 2 fires, one very serious incident where the coolant, of all things, sprayed onto a hot exhaust and ignited) and gusty winds caused the course to be on hold, so people found ways to amuse themselves. Btw, the flammable coolant is now banned. That came a little too late for the driver of the 'liner who was seriously burned.

Bottom line: I was looking for an excuse to announce that I hadn't fallen off the end of the earth...just got close enough to the edge to get a good look at it. I'm slowly working my way through photo editing and I'm crossing my fingers that I can get back to music (more than 20 minutes every other day or so) seriously as winter progresses.
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing (I ain't thru doin the camera thing.)
http://www.chevyasylum.com
http://www.raytherat.com

#1034649 - 10/12/08 08:34 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
polostrings Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Love all the shots!! Fall is the only season I really miss, since moving from the midwest. Love the colors.

Ratman, the shrug shot amazes me. Great!

#1034650 - 10/13/08 04:02 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Kawai, HI Offline

Wow! Great photos!
Ratman, always professional photos from you. Your "simplest" photos are full of light, texture and color.

Terrytunes and AnthonyB, thanks for posting. I do miss the fall colors of the mid-west. Reaching for those sweaters yet?

Boira and izaldu, looks a million miles from here (HI) but beautiful.

rodmichael, what about some photos of Skyline drive?

aspenx, did you change your avatar?

#1034651 - 10/13/08 04:26 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
 Quote:
Originally posted by izaldu:
Matterhorn (or Mount Cervino)a month ago
[/b]
.. I can't believe people have actually climbed that thing!

Speaking from experience, often mountains which look pretty high in real life don't have quite the effect in photos. But that looks incredible in the picture, so it must look awesome to be near it! [/b]
It's not the hardest, (if weather is ok that is) , but it's intimidating at first sight. What makes it so special is not only the shape but the fact that it stands alone ...

#1034652 - 10/14/08 11:11 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Thank you, Polostrings and Kawai. Let me add my compliments to all the other great photos in this thread so far. I really enjoy seeing the great photographic talent on this forum.

#1034653 - 10/14/08 02:40 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kawai, HI:

Boira and izaldu, looks a million miles from here (HI) but beautiful.
[/b]
Maybe because.... we're a million miles from you \:D

Everybody is posting amazing pics!

The Salt Flats really must be a unique place, absolutely different from everything else!

#1034654 - 10/14/08 04:05 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Yes Boira, the salt flats are unique, but there are some other places on earth that are similar. Lake Gairdner in Australia is one of them. It's also used for Land Speed Racing. But it's quite a bit further removed from civilization than Bonneville.

If you're interested in more photos of the salt flats, the cars, trucks and motorcycles that race there and various other items that caught my eye this year, I have just a few ;\) photos on my web server.

If you drop by there, I hope you enjoy. And in a somewhat reverse situation, I was in Barcelona a short time ago. It was only 38 years ago, but it seems like...well, not really a short time. :rolleyes: However, I enjoyed my time in Spain although most of it was in Seville or Moron de le Frontera. I visited a friend who lived there and studied flamenco guitar with Don Diego del Gastor, one of the more notable of the Flamenco Gypsy guitarists. I was honored to meet him and several others in that circle at that time. There are some photos from that time on this page. It was an incredible visit, but all too short (and slightly fuzzy) as I was on my way to Marrakesh in Morocco to hang out with the hippies after my discharge from the US army. It was a very interesting time.

#1034655 - 10/16/08 06:51 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
Soybeans were harvest out of the field across the street today.

#1034656 - 10/16/08 10:19 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
KaylaX Offline

Cool pictures of the soy bean harvest. It reminds me of the rice being harvested here in Northern Cali. The two are very simular.

AspenX

#1034657 - 10/17/08 06:07 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Autumn has been late in coming this year, here near London in the UK. But here are a couple of October photos taken near where we live.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

#1034658 - 10/21/08 12:25 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
polostrings Offline

Great Fall Photos everyone!! I can feel the cool crispy air. Thanks!

#1034659 - 10/22/08 01:52 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Lovely photos everyone. Here are a few more recent Fall foliage for your enjoyment from the Eastern Sierra, Nevada region.

Aspens in Autumn

Key Notes \:\)

#1034660 - 10/22/08 03:06 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Kawai, HI Offline

Key Notes, Those are beautiful shots! I would buy postcards made of those. Thanks for sharing.

#1034661 - 10/22/08 03:46 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Kawai, HI, You are more than welcome. So nice of you to take a look. I'm glad you enjoyed them, and certainly appreciate your kind thoughts and overly generous compliments.

#1034662 - 10/23/08 09:44 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Wonderful photos, KN. I loved the tightly cropped shot of the creek. The scattered leaves around it looked like they'd been arranged ever so carefully. (You didn't do that did you? ;\) )

You have a good eye for composition -- very, very nice.

#1034663 - 10/24/08 02:38 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RatMan:
Wonderful photos, KN. I loved the tightly cropped shot of the creek. The scattered leaves around it looked like they'd been arranged ever so carefully. (You didn't do that did you? ;\) )

You have a good eye for composition -- very, very nice. [/b]
Thanks Ratman. I'm glad you liked them. Although I was hoping that you wouldn't be viewing them with such a discerning eye being that it's just an amateurish attempt on my part. \:o

There was a leaf that wouldn't behave, so I had to... \:D No, I didn't dare touch or alter any of Nature's palettes in anyway. And while I love my Photoshop CS capabilities, I didn't even use that to alter any of these images either, not even to crop them. Although I don't know what I'm doing, I rather enjoy the challenges of capturing what I see on the spot as much as possible.

If you have any other advice, suggestions, or criticism on anything you see, please feel free to add them here or PM me. I can always learn from eveyone's input.

Regards,

#1034664 - 10/25/08 11:43 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Well, KN, I went back and looked at those photos again...with my glasses on. \:\) I saw that misbehaving leaf you were talking about. You did ok with it. \:D

Seriously, I can't find anything to criticize about at all. Those are lovely photos. They show the colors dramatically and, as I said, you have a very good eye for composition, especially if you didn't crop them. That's really good. They may seem "amateurish" because the subject is a common one, but it's also the type of thing you'll see in many landscape paintings and framed photos.

Another one that struck me was the shot of the river (I'm assuming it's not a lake) with the meadow and hills in the background and framed by a dead branch on the left and a live one with yellow leaves on the right tells a whole lot of stories and is composed beautifully.

I saved a couple of the photos and did a bit of post-processing to make 'em "pop" and came to the conclusion that while those with enhanced color and contrast might grab the eye more dramatically, they're not really any better than the originals...just slightly emphasized.

You done right good. \:\)

I attended a short photography seminar last week. (I'll do another one this coming week...they're free and I get a bit of insight from them so why not?) I found myself disagreeing with the young lady who was presenting it. She kept showing "good" and "bad" examples. With the exception of the very bad technical examples such as out of focus, "cutting off people's heads" (my ex-wife's grandmother would always say, "don't cut off my head" when I'd point a camera in her direction) I found that I saw more "art" in the bad examples than I did in the "good" ones.

There was one example of a young lady in a formal dress standing in a city street. Her feet were placed on the right side of the double yellow line running down the center. The line veered slightly to the left and her body was positioned to the right. Yes, there was a lot of noisy background, but if I'd had a few minutes with a photo editing program, I'd have cropped it and used an unsharp mask to soften the background. The yellow lines would have made a a great contrast to the purplish satin of her dress and the angles made an almost perfect "V." That angular composition was the first thing that hit me and I thought that emphasizing it would have made a nice "art" shot.

I mentioned this and wasn't met with a lot of approval from the young lady. I think she was trying to show how to move from taking "snapshots" to "photographs." I don't think she was ready to present artistic post-processing to the attendees yet.

So in my humble opinion, one person's novice efforts or even "bad shots" can become effective "message bearers" if presented correctly. I dunno if this will come across correctly, but we'll try it. It's a shot I took at a race (what else?) but it's backwards from the common paradigm of having the car in focus with the background blurred:

I had to work at getting this shot because I was so used to doing it the other way around. But the flag that's being displayed is a "debris or fluid" flag and was being shown to indicate a slippery track ahead. I thought that showing the car blurred made a mental connection with the concept of slippery so I tried until I got that one. I spose it's one of those things that works for some people and doesn't for others. I can't say that I'm crazy about the green Port-a-Potty to the side of the corner workers' station, but removing it seems to be more work than it's worth.

The rest of the photos from that LONG weekend (and one with weather that ranged from hot, dry and still to high winds, near-violent thunder and lightning and heavy rain and hail downpours) Are here:
Grand-Am Rolex Series season finale 1000 km race weekend

And then there's the current project (half finished...I have to write a lengthy narrative to accompany the photos):

The "Streamliner Shootout"

That's the same one that the bored golfer came from. I found myself as the "designated photographer" for the website that did what I believe is the first "live and direct forumcast" of an automotive event.

Ok...my coffee break's over. I gotta get back to the salt mines...so to speak and finish up the section of photos of the "Speed Demon" (the name of the car) that had an engine fire but was completely rebuilt in 30 hours to set a record in a different class. The builder of the car asked me to chronicle the efforts with photos, so I shot a heck of a lot more of that one than most of the others. Ohh...and this photo:

made the front page in a couple of small newspapers.

I sure love these seasonal photograph threads. There are so many great photographers here. I've mentioned this before, but I wonder how many photographers are keyboardists and vice-versa. Someone told me that many horn players are gourmet cooks...or something to that effect. I wonder if there's some sort of statistical correlation between musical instrument players and other areas of interest. Could be an interesting study...or maybe a doctoral dissertation. \:\)

#1034665 - 10/26/08 10:24 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for your input and comments Ratman. I truly appreciate them.

It's really great that you are attending these shows, classes, and seminars since there are so many fabulous talents to see and to learn from out there.

I like your idea and experiments with the reversed subject in focus. The timing to catch a car speeding by in front of that stand must've been just as hard if not harder than spanning to catch a 300+ mph car and make it look like it was standing still and in sharp focus, and you did a great job of that as well.

I also like that shot of the parachute being released from the Speed Demon, and congratulations on making it into the newspapers.

Happy Shooting!

#1034666 - 10/27/08 05:14 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Quote:

There are so many great photographers here. I've mentioned this before, but I wonder how many photographers are keyboardists and vice-versa. Someone told me that many horn players are gourmet cooks...or something to that effect. I wonder if there's some sort of statistical correlation between musical instrument players and other areas of interest. Could be an interesting study...or maybe a doctoral dissertation. \:\) [/b]
You're right RatMan... there must be some kind of correlation!

Both piano and photography are ways to tell stories without words. Both are art forms that need training and technical knowledge. Both of them need some kind of introversion from the part of the performer, because s/he has to enjoy the time by his/herself (practicing, playing, searching for the best angle...)

Interesting point!

#1034667 - 10/27/08 08:36 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ratman and Boira:
 Quote:

There are so many great photographers here. I've mentioned this before, but I wonder how many photographers are keyboardists and vice-versa. Someone told me that many horn players are gourmet cooks...or something to that effect. I wonder if there's some sort of statistical correlation between musical instrument players and other areas of interest. Could be an interesting study...or maybe a doctoral dissertation. \:\) [/b]
You're right RatMan... there must be some kind of correlation!

Both piano and photography are ways to tell stories without words. Both are art forms that need training and technical knowledge. Both of them need some kind of introversion from the part of the performer, because s/he has to enjoy the time by his/herself (practicing, playing, searching for the best angle...)

Interesting point! [/b]
I'm a believer![/b] \:\)

This is a wonderful thread!

Here are a couple shots from my point-and-shoot with seasonal color.

Near sunset - near home

Within moments of the above

I hope everyone enjoys,

Lisztener

#1034668 - 10/28/08 02:02 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
lizzy's dad Offline

Loc: Suburb of Seattle
Took advantage of some nice weather to participate in a volksmarch in Carnation, Wa.

l's dad

#1034669 - 10/28/08 08:08 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
We're going on a little get away drive to see "autumn leaves" today. My husband came home from a trip to Boise, Idaho on the weekend, which is a 10 hour drive from here, and he was raving about the gorgeous colors and scenery of the whole trip.

His first words upon arriving home were "We're going to take Tuesday and go for a drive in the country". We'll probably go to Snoqualmie or environs for lunch....if you can imagine!

Every one needs a piece of Nature!

"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree." Emily Bronte

#1034670 - 10/28/08 09:11 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Back yard with the great niece/nephews bird house

Out Front
PTG Associate

#1034671 - 10/28/08 10:41 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Now, that's what I call fall color, Monster! We don't get anything like that around here. Sometime close to Thanksgiving, the leaves of deciduous trees will turn yellow and/or brown and fall off, but we don't get those gorgeous oranges and reds. I always laugh when I see those Halloween "stuff a pumpkin" bags on the store shelves that are meant to be filled with fallen leaves. We don't have fallen leaves until well after Halloween. \:D

flickr

#1034672 - 10/28/08 11:14 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
KaylaX Offline

Wow!!!! Thats amazing. Nice photo's monster M&H.

AspenX

#1034673 - 10/29/08 06:10 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Wonderful photos, Lisztener and Monster M&H, These are amazing autumn colors!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
Today at 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
Today at 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159358 Topics
2340924 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission