Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1034674 - 10/29/08 08:14 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
It's always a battle between the rain and winds to see if they turn before they fall....I'm still waiting for that early morning sun rise, they make the best pictures...

Mother Nature at her best...
PTG Associate

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1034675 - 10/30/08 01:49 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Oooh, Beautiful photos everyone.

Monster M&H, That tree is on fire.

#1034676 - 11/01/08 01:07 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Loc: Bonneville Salt Flats
Monster, those trees/leaves are beautiful! I love the photos.

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with HDR (or HDRI) High Dynamic Range Imaging. It's intent "is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows." (From the Wikipedia definition)

It's interesting stuff, especially since we've had our week of colored foliage (snow is forecast for Tuesday night/Wednesday...11/03-04) and I suppose that since Halloween is over it's about time for that sort of weather here a little east of the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Back to HDR. After some pretty hearty recommendations, I tested a software product called Photomatix. It takes a sequence of photos shot at different exposure values and combines them to produce an image that would normally be outside a camera's ability to capture (although I've heard rumors that the newest Nikon may be able to capture HDR images (by processing multiple exposures in the camera rather than in post-processing software.)

Here's a shot looking east on the street where I live toward the Wasatch mountains (ok, I don't really live on the salt flats...except during August, September and sometimes October) that was made with aperture priority, 800 ISO and f7.1 static parameters:

A fairly nice shot of Mount Olympus (not THAT one...the one in Utah), some clouds as the storms move in and some nicely colored foliage. But it's a little washed out (I only cropped and resized the original...I didn't do any color or contrast adjustments) and doesn't really give the feeling of "being there." But if I underexpose enough to get the true impression of the clouds over the mountains, the foliage is WAY underexposed:

Now comes HDR(I) technology. I bracketed those shots by 2 full f-stops under and over the normal aperture setting. Then I took the 3 photos (1 "normal", 1 underexposed and 1 overexposed) and brought 'em into Photomatix. (No, I don't own stock in the company...it just came (as I wrote) very highly recommended by a couple of pro shooters.

That allows me to do several things. First, it automatically aligns the 3 shots, matching up the features like the mountaintop, the the curbs, etc, without having to manually align them in different layers in a photo editor. It also allowed me to set the parameters of how drastic I want the contrast levels to be, regulate any smoothing or sharpening and a buncha other stuff that I haven't mastered yet. However, at it's default settings, it does a pretty good job:

The resultant image has the sky/clouds at an exposure level that doesn't wash out the subtle coloration. The same goes for the mountains and the trees. Three levels of exposure combined to create something the eye/mind can do by itself (and maybe a bit more) in a photo that a camera generally wouldn't be able to capture.

Last Thursday (10/30) I used up a buncha digital film at the final hot rod cruise night of the year. When the light went away, I was putting the camera and monopod back in my Burb when I noticed the colorful sunset. I thought this might be a good opportunity to get some shots and experiment with 'em. I didn't have a lotta time because the light was fading fast, so I grabbed the first subject I could find with a clear background that included the sunset. This is one of the resultant images:

I didn't use the +/- 2 full stops so I may have to re-create 'em from the originals by darkening/brightening 'em until I get the proper exposure levels for the truck, the mountains (the Oguirrh range) and the sunset. Because I only used a 2/3 +/- bracket it results in the "posterized" appearance...which ain't bad, but I'm gonna keep working at it to see if I can get a more life-like appearance of the truck. I used a flash on a couple of shots, so I may try those.

Now. It's interesting to me to see how I can get sidetracked in some off-the-wall project when I already have so many irons in the fire. The good news is that since "car season" is pretty much over for the year, I've been able to get back to the music when I'm not pretending to be an artist with the photos and the accompanying post-processing.

I found that after having had a 6-week break, the only things that seem to have suffered were the calluses on my left fingertips for stopping the strings on the bass. The keyboard stuff seems to be resuming at about the place I left it with very little degradation (ok...there wasn't a whole lot to degrade) and possibly some improvement after returning to an almost-daily practice routine. I was sorta worried about that. I've found myself branching into some different genres of music on the bass and I'm trying to follow that on the Hammond. Gonna be an interesting winter.

Finally, to Boira: I love the electric suppository photo. That's a beauty...as are your other photos. I can say that about all the other photos in this thread...absolute beauties. Thanks to all who've posted 'em. Please keep 'em coming.

Now I'll go play the organ for a while.
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing (I ain't thru doin the camera thing.)
http://www.chevyasylum.com
http://www.raytherat.com

#1034677 - 11/01/08 02:59 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

RatMan,

Sorry to jump in before Boira, but these results are eye-catching examples of the process you describe. I'll check-out the software for my DSLR. The third image of the trees and mountain background combined is not only beautifully saturated with color throughout the focal length, it appears almost 3-D to me. Man, that's a postcard! Good stuff!

Thanks for sharing. Boira will be along soon, I'm sure, with her insights. \:\)

(I'm on my way to Florida, tomorrow, for two weeks. I'll be sure to check back for more beauties from you and others.)

Lisztener

#1034678 - 11/01/08 03:27 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Ratman,
That orange sunset cloud is unreal!

#1034679 - 11/01/08 05:55 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
RatMan,

Sorry to jump in before Boira, but these results are eye-catching examples of the process you describe. I'll check-out the software for my DSLR. The third image of the trees and mountain background combined is not only beautifully saturated with color throughout the focal length, it appears almost 3-D to me. Man, that's a postcard! Good stuff!

Thanks for sharing. Boira will be along soon, I'm sure, with her insights. \:\)

(I'm on my way to Florida, tomorrow, for two weeks. I'll be sure to check back for more beauties from you and others.)

Lisztener [/b]
Very quickly, the S/W is a standalone utility or a plug-in for PhotoShop. It's on this website: hdrsoft

Thank you for the kind words, Lisztener. I found this HDR stuff to be fascinating. Do some searching on the web and you'll see some of the most fantastic stuff imaginable...well, from a camera. \:\)

Have a safe trip,

#1034680 - 11/01/08 06:06 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

The orange cloud is pretty close to its real color...just slightly enhanced. The Great Salt Lake puts tons (literally) of mineral particles into the air as the water evaporates from the surface. When the sun sets, the diffraction from all that stuff in the atmosphere creates some pretty spectacular sunsets...and coloration on the clouds on the eastern side of the valley as a side effect...if the conditions are just right.

What can be really interesting is to catch some of the brightly colored clouds, a bit of blue sky and then a rainbow all together in the same shot. I wish I had a good one to show, but landscape/weather photography is not what I normally do, I'll just have to hope I can catch some of it when the next storm comes through...in the next couple of days. Of course, I may have snowstorm photos to start a "Photographs of Winter" thread since snow is forecast for next Tuesday and Wednesday.

I hope the winter goes quickly. It's not my favorite season. But at least I have more time for music then.

#1034681 - 11/01/08 08:27 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Interesting experiments with Photomatix Ratman. Thanks for sharing your visions and experiences. Are you going to upgrade to the latest HDR Nikon? You surely deserve it considering how often you use your cameras.

I'm badly in need of an upgrade myself to anything better than my little old Sony digital. \:\(

Regards,

Key Notes \:\)

#1034682 - 11/02/08 06:54 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

No, I'm not gonna defect to the Nikon camp. I've got too much invested in Canon stuff. And I probably won't upgrade to the latest Canon...I'm already 1 level behind in the D series (I use a 40D, the 50D came out just after I bought mine.) That's the bottom end pro camera. The 1D and 5D are completely out of my price range ($4000 and $8000.)

I'm lusting after a 100-400mm "L-series" lens (one of the white ones) but they retail at $2500 and even at street prices they're around $1300-$1600. I have to remember that I'm retired (supposedly) now and on a fixed income (quite a bit less than what I used to earn.) So I have to limit myself in the toys I buy.

Btw, KN, the Canon Powershot 1100 cameras are pretty kool. They're "shirt pocket" cameras and run around $200. I've considered buying one and seeing if I can get a case for camera and cell phone together. It'd be a handy thing to have. But I've bought my toys for this month.

Right now it's raining pretty steadily with gusty winds, so those mountains to the east of me won't be visible when the sun rises (well, takes cover behind the clouds) so if I decide to do any photography today it'll be of rainy weather...or something indoors.

This brings to mind an interesting concept that I read about on a different forum. A daily photo journal. I suppose one could take it about as far as one wished, but the idea was presented as having one photo every day for a year (or more.) The concept I read about suggested that the subject be something entirely different each day. I guess the opposite would be the time-lapse concept where one would shoot effectively the same thing every day of the year. I'd think that could get pretty boring...not to mention depressing if one were to shoot say, a tree or even the same shot I made down my street of the mountains for the months of December through March. The first couple might be ok, but February here is absolutely bleak. Nawww...I think I'd prefer a different subject. I need to think about it a bit more. Maybe some combination of the two. Maybe when I launch RayTheRat.com I can start doing a "Photo of the Day" thing. That site is intended to be my photography site while the Chevy Asylum (I just began rolling out its new look yesterday) will remain automotive-oriented.

I think I woke up too early. Five am on a rainy Sunday morning sounds like a good excuse to go back to bed. \:\)

I might just do that. Or I might just see about making some music.

Once again, thanks to all who post the fantastic photos here. I love 'em.

#1034683 - 11/02/08 10:17 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California

#1034684 - 11/02/08 10:21 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
I'm amazed at all these beautiful photos! Well done, everyone.

Two weeks ago I bought my first proper camera - a D60. It's a bit of a step-up from what I was using before! Am trying to absorb all the photography tips I can because it is so much fun \:\)

I was planning on posting a few shots here, but my sig. line has a link to my flickr site which has my recent shots. If anyone wants to take a look, feel free. Any advice on how to improve my photos would be greatly appreciated.

Where do people stand on the digital-editing that can be done on the PC? When I take pictures now, I always have a little fiddle with white balance and saturation levels which usually brings out a better picture. Is it a common approach these days, or is it a photographic no-no (is it considered cheating?)?

#1034685 - 11/02/08 02:18 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Very kool, Van. Since I'm a long way from an ocean, the simple beauty of the ocean is very attractive to me. I love the interplay of the lines in something one would normally think of as "unlined." Good stuff.

Euan, in my world (a strange one, but they know me here, so it's ok) post-processing is just part of the entire process. One of the other track photographers (we're all wannabes) where I did my sports car racing stuff this year said that his publisher (he has a publisher!!!) wants him to sharpen the photos before he sends them in. It seemed strange to me that they'd have a standing rule like that, but apparently they see that as part of the process, too.

I just looked at your Flickr Photostream and I'd say you're doing pretty darned well. The "Old Course Clubhouse" shot looks very close to an HDR effect. Keep up the great stuff.

#1034686 - 11/02/08 02:32 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the nice comments, RatMan!

So I don't have to feel guilty after I enhance my photos - I was scared there was an unofficial rule that you can only use what you captured, rather than perfecting an image at the computer

I've been using the free GIMP software, rather than PhotoShop or anything. I might save and get the Nikon NX2 package in the future.

Other questions, whilst I'm learning:
- Tripods. I picked up a very cheap tripod as it was all I could afford at the moment. However, my SLR for Dummies book (yes, i bought that!) mentions that cheap tripods are useless. Is it worth saving for a more expensive one; what does it do that my one can't, is my question?

- Is it better to shoot in RAW or JPEG? I don't have issues with size/space of files, I just want to get the best pictures I can.

#1034687 - 11/02/08 02:45 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Van,
Just want to say it's really good to "see" you. Where have you been all this time? A number of us have been thinking about you. Hope all is well!

#1034688 - 11/02/08 04:41 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

You're welcome, Euan.

Tripods: The general opinion is "do you want to trust your expensive camera and lenses to a cheap tripod?" With that said, I don't think one has to break the bank, either. I have a relatively inexpensive tripod. I very rarely use it...only for extreme telephoto shots on the salt flats where cars are running well over 200 mph. But I have a good monopod because I use it for almost all my shots. I have problems with microtremors in my hands and it makes hand-holding the camera almost impossible, except for the fastest shutter speeds and the shortest of lenses.

If I had a monopod that was slipping or had a tendency to lose its grip on the camera...or on the leg extensions, I'd hate it. So I got one that was good, but not the most expensive one I could find. It's a Canon unit and has a ball-shaped head movement arrangement. I've had it for about a year and used it real heavily this past summer. It's beginning to get a little unstable at that ball and clamp setup. I kinda expect that I'll be buying a sturdier one next year.

So the answer is, "do what's right for you", I suppose. But there are some tripods that I REALLY wouldn't want to trust my camera on.

Photo Editor: I like Corel Paint Shop Pro. It was $80 and does a very good job. It's a little quirky, by I found Gimp to be the even quirkier. Most pros use PhotoShop exclusively and many of them prefer Apple computers to Windoze or Linux-based machines. Again, this is a "what's right for YOU" thing. I've got so much invested in Windoze XP and the computers that run it that it'd cost me an arm and a leg to replicate it with Apple hardware and software. I run a couple of Linux boxes, but not in a graphical environment. Anyway, my recommendation here would be to start with the trial version of PSP and if you feel that you need it, move to Photoshop. I'd actually like to find someone's old copy of CS2 or CS3 to see if there's stuff I can't live without (uh-oh...I think my finances are gonna take a hit if I'm not careful.)

RAW vs Jpg. Well, I shoot jpg almost exclusively. Most of my keeper photos end up on the web. Very few of them get printed. (Because of this, I set my image size to the smallest high quality image I can: 1900x1300 approximately...I get sharper photos for web use this way.) But there are some advantages to RAW. The biggest one is that you get exactly what the camera saw...without any corrections or "presets." For me, size IS an issue, since I'll take over 1000 shots during a one-day racing event. The Streamliner Shootout I covered for landracing.com resulted in somewhere between 8 and 10 thousand images for a 4-day event. I was bracketing exposures, so you can divide that by 3 to get the number of "real photos." If I'd done that in RAW, I never could have stored them all on my laptop before I got home to unload 'em onto my 2.5 terabyte productions workstation...or at least without a lotta time and effort to clear space for 'em. At 16mb per image, they get kinda unwieldy. Besides that, PSP has a hard time with RAW or CR2 (Canon's special RAW format.)

I dunno if this has helped or just muddies the waters. There are many photography forums on the web...many of them have sections for DSLR and also the Nikon vs Canon wars (I mean subforums \:D )

Keep shooting...I look forward to more of your beautiful landscapes.

#1034689 - 11/02/08 05:51 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for all this great advice!

With the tripods you wrote: "But there are some tripods that I REALLY wouldn't want to trust my camera on". I think mine falls into that category (it cost equivalent of $15!). It was either that or a $150 one.

I have only used it once so far, and it did okay. Until I get a better thing, it will have to do, so I will always keep a hand beside the camera incase it falls (and also keep the strap around my neck as a back-up!).

I will need to look into photo software more closely, and understand what each package can do. With the Gimp, all I have used so far is the colour refinements, and the crop tool. Nothing complex - I can only imagine what some of the higher-end packages can do!

You make a really crucial point about image size and quality. Up until now I've been shooting the largest image size with the highest quality setting. But, like you, I probably won't be doing much printing so I should sacrifice the extra size and get better quality of image. Thanks!

Next step is to join a friendly forum I think and learn from there.

1000 images per day, and a 2.5TB workstation - wow!

#1034690 - 11/03/08 02:23 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Ratman, Speaking like a true Canon camp fan. Thanks for the suggestions regarding the Canon Powershot. I was checking it out online a while back but have forgotten all about it. I'm all for small and compact as long as it still performs a big job, well. I guess I'm not expecting too much. \:D

Euan, Here's one site that could also be helpful.

http://www.naturephotographers.net

Key Notes \:\)

#1034691 - 11/18/08 12:28 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
I know I'm late but I need to comment on HDR.
HDR has saved (for me) many pictures which otherwise should have ended up in the bin. Sometimes it's impossible to expose correctly for a whole scene.

The correct exposure to the sky leaves the ground in darkness, and correct exposure to the dark motifs results in totally burnt bright parts.
My father used to have graded filters to avoid that problem.
I know some people may call it cheating, but my "filter" now is Photoshop.

Different shots with bracketing exposures... and make the jigsaw via software with the parts correctly exposed.

I'm not proud at all of that picture, but it was taken in September (autumn!). It's Seljandsfoss, in Iceland. I had no option: or the sky gets burnt or the ground remains in darkness.
I promise I'll post a better pic, this one just sucks.

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=seljandsfosshdrcz6.jpg

#1034692 - 11/18/08 01:37 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Just FYI... I have a Canon A80, great camera. My old SLR is a Pentax ME Super...been a long time since that one's been in my hands. Also own a Bogen Tripod, has to be 25 yrs old now...holycow...I'm getting old:)

Use to shoot alot of 35 slide, extachrome and superchrome, gray card and bracket pics...the only way to go...
PTG Associate

#1034693 - 11/18/08 07:29 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Boira,

You may dislike your Icelandic waterfall as the photographed subject...I find it beautiful, myself, BTW. It's an excellent example of HDR Imaging for some of us who shoot less professional looking photos than those we've seen from you, RatMan and/or others.

I'm captivated by the technique and results. I have Photoshop 7.0 and wonder if it is capable of this process in combination with my Nikon D-70 prosumer camera?

Thank you for the link to your beautiful photo highlighting this seemingly magical combination of images.

Best regards,

Lisztener

#1034694 - 11/19/08 12:35 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Lisztener,
with Photoshop 7.0 you can do anything you may want with your pictures. It's true that newer versions have implemented some features, but HDR is totally withing the range of action of PS7.
But be careful.... it's addictive!!

These are a couple of short but very intuitive tutorials for HDR with PS:

http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdrituteuu6.jpg

http://oysteinwika.com/#/blog/photoshop-tutorial-hdr/

There are millions of pages with PS tutorials and free resources. One of my favourites is www.deviantart.com

Thanks for your comments on my picture \:\) on my "to do" list is written "finding a *good* example of HDR" \:D

#1034695 - 11/19/08 09:19 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

HDR is very interesting stuff. I love the waterfall, Boira. To my eye, it doesn't suck at all.

I've been furiously restructuring my primary website, The Chevy Asylum
so that I can move my photographic efforts to the new domain, RayTheRat.com

I've started a photoblog there to force myself to start seeing things other than cars and bikes as photographic subjects.

This morning, I saw a mailbox (we have mailboxes for each 8 houses in my neighborhood...you can see one of them on the left of the HDR photo of the street, trees, mountains and sky) that had steam rising from it.

A couple of options occurred to me. First, I thought about calling the ATF to check out a possible letter bomb, and then sanity returned (sorta) and I decided that I liked it so I grabbed the camera and started shooting. This is what I came up with:

I've been looking at it off and on most of the day...I had some 8x10s printed and that was one of 'em...and I'm starting to tire of it, but I liked the fact that one could see three states of water in the photo and the bokeh effect made the trails of steam stand out.

Strangely, I tried several HDR effects on the shots I took and it didn't work very well, unless you like abstract imagery.

But the HDR treatment worked out in a very interesting way for a couple of autumn foliage shots. Here's one of 'em:

I suppose I'll get over this HDR fixation eventually. I've been going over a lot of older shots as I do the website rework and I can see where I've gone thru phases of ultra-white backgrounds, camera tilt, extreme close-up and so on. Maybe one of these days I'll settle on a style and call it my own.

In the meantime, I've actually found a little time to play bass and organ a bit. The music seemed to take a back seat while I was on the road for about 6 weeks and then spent another 2 weeks catching up on the photos I'd done...and a little forensic work to determine the cause of a fire in a streamliner that severely burned the driver. The series of photos can be seen here:
Missile, part 3 and then in the following section. It's a long story but we were able to put together some of the reasons behind the fire (it was a "for want of a nail the war was lost" series of things that shouldn't have gone wrong, but did.) I alluded to it in an earlier post, but we did some serious investigation that has resulted in a couple of safety rule changes and may bring a couple more about. I hope.

Ok...I gotta go back to my website work, then play a bit of the blues before bedtime.

Best regards to all,

#1034696 - 11/19/08 10:43 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
RatMan, the frozen mailbox pic is quite nice. This one reminds me of a time fishing years ago when I had a boat. I was near the outlet of a power plant where the cooling water is returned to the lake, and it was a bit of a cool morning. I fished as steam rose from the water around me. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me to capture the effect.

I'm not certain I care for the HDR'ed autumn leaves, though. It's a bit over the top for my taste. It looks almost posterized. Hey, there's no accounting for taste (mine), right?

flickr

#1034697 - 11/20/08 01:25 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Boira,

Thanks much for the information on PS 7.0 and thanks for the links. I'm eager to take a look at them and I promise to be careful, but you sure have made it difficult to keep from becoming addicted with all the stuff you have mixed with your mortar and pestle and then dispensed. \:D

I can hardly wait to see the results of your "to do" list with another example of HDRI.

You are too critical of your waterfall. It's a nice example of the process and a nice photo in its own right. :p \:\)

Thank you, again,

Lisztener

#1034698 - 11/20/08 01:40 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

RatMan,

I'm with Dennis on the two photos above.

Nice positioning and overall composition with the mailbox, IMO. The leaves look like a red and yellow Rorschach test...just teasing, my friend.

You seem to have the determination to master any endeavor you set your mind to accomplish.

Thanks for sharing,

Lisztener

#1034699 - 11/20/08 03:34 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
RatMan,

I'm with Dennis on the two photos above.

Nice positioning and overall composition with the mailbox, IMO. The leaves look like a red and yellow Rorschach test...just teasing, my friend.

You seem to have the determination to master any endeavor you set your mind to accomplish.

Thanks for sharing,

Lisztener [/b]
Thanks, Lisztener. I think that determination might just a symptom of being too dumb to know when to quit. :rolleyes:

I agree that the foliage shot is a bit over the top. It makes an interesting desktop wallpaper. My eyes start to cross if I stare at it too long.

#1034700 - 11/20/08 11:39 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TinyHands Offline

Loc: Reston, Virginia
Hope it's not too late to join. (It's freezing now. Brrrr.) Some shots I took at Great Falls, Lock 22, in Maryland a couple weeks ago. This is the hiking trail along the canal. Looks lovely every year.

Never posted an image before. Hope it works. (Crossing my tiny fingers here.)

Stay warm. \:\)
TinyHands

ps (phew! it works!)

#1034701 - 11/21/08 01:19 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Very nice, Tinyhands. I love the reflections in the water. The 3rd one is my favorite. It seems to be a 50-50 split between subject and reflection. Right nice!

#1034702 - 11/21/08 02:07 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Beautiful fall colors, tiny. I agree with
RatMan; the third pic is fabulous.

flickr

#1034703 - 11/22/08 12:58 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Do you guys have any particular favourite photographers?

I have flicked through books/portfolios by Henri Cartier-Bresson and Ansel Adams. Are they the two most famous photographers? I am looking to buy some nice books after the christmas rush is over.

I also enjoy Scottish landscape photography, which is a speciality of a chap named Colin Prior.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (anotherscott, AZNpiano, Augustina, ando, 34 invisible), 1046 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157170 Topics
2308381 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ES7 - Gig Bag or Hard Case
by gbitw
08/30/14 11:07 PM
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
08/30/14 09:10 PM
Frederick Historical Concert Season - Fall 2014
by Terrytunes
08/30/14 08:44 PM
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
08/30/14 06:05 PM
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
08/30/14 05:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission