Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1034614 - 09/22/08 12:32 PM OT: Pictures of Autumn
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I suppose it's now a good time to start up a nice new seasonal picture thread.

I'll even grant permission for any southern hemisphere folks to post pictures of spring here too!

Alas, I don't have a digital camera of my own at the moment but I can tell you the fields of soybeans (one of which is directly across the street) are now completely brown. They were still green just a week ago. Some of our trees are beginning to show signs of change. The top of a small tree in the backyard is turning a bright red. Some other trees in sight are showing signs of yellow and orange. Overall, a very exciting and beautiful time of year. I hope anyone around that is now beginning to experience fall can post some pictures soon!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1034615 - 09/30/08 02:39 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
polostrings Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Aloha, Sunset on the North Shore of Oahu.

#1034616 - 09/30/08 02:48 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
polostrings Offline

Moon Rise at Mokule'ia, North Shore Oahu.

#1034617 - 09/30/08 05:24 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
Aloha polostrings, nice photos. I'm looking forward to watching the pipeline masters soon, but unfortunately from my laptop here in Wales; still, the converage is awesome...

#1034618 - 10/01/08 01:08 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
polostrings Offline

Aloha LaValse, thanks for the comments. Maybe I can get some live shots of pipe, that will have to be in the winter. How's the sailing? How late in the year do you keep your boat in the water?

#1034619 - 10/01/08 03:21 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Here are a few from a trip I just returned from.

Rocky Mountain National Park

Glacier National Park

Lake McDonald at Glacier National Park

Crater Lake

Crater Lake wasn't as brilliant as usual because of this fire which was burning nearby

#1034620 - 10/01/08 03:30 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Wow! Those pictures are amazing! I live in the city and I was all excited that the leaves on a tree on my street are turning a fiery red/orange. To me that's nature-LOL. Then I see your pictures. Amazing! If I get the change I will try to get a picture of the tree before the leaves fall. And speaking of nature-I saw a black squirrel the other day. Has anybody seen one of those? It was cool. I also see the occassional Hawk which is a thrill for me. As you can see by my avitar I like hawks.

#1034621 - 10/01/08 07:25 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Beautiful shots, Greg,

Thanks for sharing. Were these taken on a bicycling trip or driving pleasure trip...not that a bicycling trip wouldn't be pleasurable.

Nice!

#1034622 - 10/01/08 07:39 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
Beautiful shots, Greg,

Thanks for sharing. Were these taken on a bicycling trip or driving pleasure trip...not that a bicycling trip wouldn't be pleasurable.

Nice! [/b]
They were taken on a 4 week, 8,275 mile motorcycle trip. Here's another shot:

#1034623 - 10/01/08 09:39 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Greg, those were gorgeous pics you posted. Very peaceful and calming. I love your bike too! \:\)

flickr

#1034624 - 10/02/08 02:55 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
BB Player, What can I say, absolutely glorious! And stunning composition of Lake McDonald too.

And wow, nice bike. Performance as well as long distance touring, complete with GPS, it appears? Nice!

#1034625 - 10/02/08 01:23 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Amazing pics everybody!

That was taken las week, in a small town 200 km north of Barcelona, close to the French border:

And that's a small fishermen's village (now mostly a touristic place) 35 km south from where I live:

Finally, that's the Water Company Tower. No matter how famous the architect who designed it is... it still looks like a supository to me:

#1034626 - 10/02/08 01:41 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
polostrings Offline

BB Player, great shots! Where exactly in Glacier Nat'l Park?

Boira, Thanks for the pics. I love to see the other parts of the world. Pretty crowded beach in the second shot. Looks like Waikiki ;\)

#1034627 - 10/02/08 01:48 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kymber:
And speaking of nature-I saw a black squirrel the other day. Has anybody seen one of those? It was cool.[/b]
There's a bunch of black squirrels hanging out at Stanford University. I was visiting the psych department there a few years back and saw them. They were so fat and tame (from being fed by the undergrads and, er, me) that I was actually able to entice one of them to climb up on my lap to get some french fries I was feeding him!

Gorgeous pictures, everybody. Glacier National Park has some of the most beautiful wilderness in the whole country. \:\)

#1034628 - 10/02/08 05:56 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by polostrings:
BB Player, great shots! Where exactly in Glacier Nat'l Park?

[/b]
On Going to The Sun Road. Lake McDonald is on the western side of the park, a few miles from West Glacier. The second picture is another 10 miles east. Here's one from near the summit:

#1034629 - 10/02/08 07:32 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Boira,[/b]

Top two are beautiful photos of scenic history.

If the sun and heat haven't melted the building in the third photo, I doubt that body temperature will do any good either. \:o Nice mental contrast to the previous two shots, though. \:D

Another beauty, Greg![/b]

Do you know how many states (and maybe neighboring countries) you visited in this long, month long trip? Looks like one fantastic ride to me. I envy you. :rolleyes:

#1034630 - 10/02/08 08:04 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
BB Player Offline

Quote:

Do you know how many states (and maybe neighboring countries) you visited in this long, month long trip? Looks like one fantastic ride to me. I envy you. :rolleyes: [/b]
No neighboring countries on this trip but the route was Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Texas. Lots of weaving back and forth once we got out of Texas to go to various places and spent multiple days in one place in Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming, Washington, California doing rides or visiting things.

#1034631 - 10/03/08 04:16 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
"I was actually able to entice one of them to climb up on my lap to get some french fries I was feeding him!"

Cool!

#1034632 - 10/04/08 04:08 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Quote:
Boira,[/b]

Top two are beautiful photos of scenic history.

If the sun and heat haven't melted the building in the third photo, I doubt that body temperature will do any good either. \:o [/b]
Thnak you Lisztener, glad you like them!

Believe me, nobody here likes the glass-metal erhmmm.... thing

#1034633 - 10/04/08 09:51 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Busy Bee Offline

I just took some pictures yesterday of the autum colors in colorado and would like to post them. Please tell me how?

#1034634 - 10/05/08 02:33 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Libby:
I just took some pictures yesterday of the autum colors in colorado and would like to post them. Please tell me how? [/b]
It's really easy \:\)
You just have to go to www.imageshack.us or www.photobucket.com (or similar server), upload the image following the intructions and then copy the link provided by the image server on your message in PW.

#1034635 - 10/06/08 10:53 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
All the pictures are wonderful. Even the giant suppository. \:D

flickr

#1034636 - 10/07/08 11:32 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
 Quote:
Originally posted by TX-Dennis:
All the pictures are wonderful. Even the giant suppository. \:D [/b]
I think a woman designed it!. ;\)

#1034637 - 10/08/08 05:54 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
 Quote:
Originally posted by TX-Dennis:
All the pictures are wonderful. Even the giant suppository. \:D [/b]
I think a woman designed it!. ;\) [/b]
Actually it was a French guy who designed it... but I don't remember his name :p

I'm curious about his other buildings, though. \:D

#1034638 - 10/08/08 06:03 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Matterhorn a month ago

I have a couple more pics of the glacier below but they won't load. Compared to pics we took 10 years ago, the glacier has shrunk dramatically

#1034639 - 10/08/08 06:04 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Matterhorn (or Mount Cervino)a month ago

I have a couple more pics of the glacier below but they won't load. Compared to pics we took 10 years ago, the glacier has shrunk dramatically

#1034640 - 10/08/08 07:05 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
rodmichael Offline

Loc: Maryland
Great pictures all, but nothing that speaks "autumn" or seasonal change to me. Maybe I'm missing something or perhaps the thread is mis-named.

Here in Maryland and Virgina, autumn does seem to be close with very nice temperatures and shorter days but not too many color changes, at least in suburban Maryland. I suspect that to the west in the Alleghenies and the higher country there may be more apparent color.
Zoom Q3

#1034641 - 10/10/08 12:33 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK, I got my hands on the digital camera so here are some shots as we hit peak fall colors in the area. Brown farm crops are soybeans. If the field across the street didn't get harvested while I was out today I should be able to get some shots of the combine doing its thing as well. I've seen some soybean fields in the area being harvested already so it should be fairly soon now.

Pretty, don't you think?

#1034642 - 10/10/08 04:22 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Beautiful colors, AnthonyB!

#1034643 - 10/10/08 11:07 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Finally, I had the opportunity to find some real 'autumn colors' of my own (Barcelona city doesn't change much, it never snows, it barely rains and our winters are short and sunny \:D )

These were taken last week end in Murcia, aprox 700 km south of Barcelona, in the middle of nowhere following a forgotten road. You almost have to get lost to find the place.

#1034644 - 10/10/08 03:41 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
 Quote:
Originally posted by izaldu:
[/b]
.. I can't believe people have actually climbed that thing!

Speaking from experience, often mountains which look pretty high in real life don't have quite the effect in photos. But that looks incredible in the picture, so it must look awesome to be near it!

#1034645 - 10/11/08 09:52 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
I always seem to be gravitating towards viewing all the wonderful pics that show up over here in the ABF seasonal threads.

My daughter has been roaming around Egypt and a few other countires since April and although she delights seeing blue skies everyday she told me she does miss the foliage.

So, since I was loading up a few pics for her I thought I'd also add a couple here.

It's not full foliage in my area; maybe another week. But this weekend looks to be clear skies and a perfect opportunity to capture a a bit of color.

#1034646 - 10/12/08 10:47 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
KaylaX Offline

Loc: N. Cali
TerryTunes,

Wow!!! thats amazing color. Thanks for posting.

AspenX

#1034647 - 10/12/08 11:19 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
AnthonyB,

Thanks for the pictures. There are definitely things I miss about Minnesota. Your pictures made me homesick \:\)

Cathy

#1034648 - 10/12/08 08:20 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Loc: Bonneville Salt Flats
An old photographer's rule (that I just made up this afternoon): "If you can't find anything that really fits the subject, shoot a photo with color, texture and bokeh and call it art." \:\)

Or, "If you're way behind in your photo editing, grab a strange one and post it."

About the first photo: leaves in my back yard. (shrug) If I'd made the shot 8 hours earlier, I could have shown the leaves covered in snow. We had about 1/2-3/4" on ground and trees but none on the roads and it melted off pretty quickly. However, it feels more like December than October. So much for our regularly scheduled "indian summer."

Second photo: During September I only had 4 days where I wasn't doing some sort of automotive photo shoot...a lot of it was on the salt flats. A couple of my photos ended up in newspapers, which is flattering, since I'm nowhere near being a pro photographer. In a couple of cases I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

In the shot of the golfer you might get the idea that some people were a little bored. Not me...if I wasn't out shooting, I was editing on my laptop and posting "live and direct" coverage of an event called the "Streamliner Shootout" via the satellite link provided by Ohio State University. They had their hydrogen fuel cell streamliner there with the idea of running over 300 mph. They didn't make 150. They had a bad time with the car, ending when an "overpressure event" (as the media rep called it) blew the body panels off the back of the car.

Anyway, I used their wifi net to post photos and commentary about the event, the records, the attempts and a couple of serious accidents. That was hard. I don't mind posting good news, but I sure don't like to write about it when a member of the racing community is hurt (or killed as in one case at a meet I didn't attend.) I wasn't the only one doing this sort of reporting...for the first 2 days of the event, at least...there was one other guy and his wife who were doing the same thing. We were working in parallel and it worked out fine. Then they had to leave and I got the whole job for the last few of days. It was a lot like work.

Little things like the "overpressure event" (I love that euphemism,) a couple of crashes (and 2 fires, one very serious incident where the coolant, of all things, sprayed onto a hot exhaust and ignited) and gusty winds caused the course to be on hold, so people found ways to amuse themselves. Btw, the flammable coolant is now banned. That came a little too late for the driver of the 'liner who was seriously burned.

Bottom line: I was looking for an excuse to announce that I hadn't fallen off the end of the earth...just got close enough to the edge to get a good look at it. I'm slowly working my way through photo editing and I'm crossing my fingers that I can get back to music (more than 20 minutes every other day or so) seriously as winter progresses.
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing (I ain't thru doin the camera thing.)
http://www.chevyasylum.com
http://www.raytherat.com

#1034649 - 10/12/08 08:34 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
polostrings Offline

Love all the shots!! Fall is the only season I really miss, since moving from the midwest. Love the colors.

Ratman, the shrug shot amazes me. Great!

#1034650 - 10/13/08 04:02 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Kawai, HI Offline

Wow! Great photos!
Ratman, always professional photos from you. Your "simplest" photos are full of light, texture and color.

Terrytunes and AnthonyB, thanks for posting. I do miss the fall colors of the mid-west. Reaching for those sweaters yet?

Boira and izaldu, looks a million miles from here (HI) but beautiful.

rodmichael, what about some photos of Skyline drive?

aspenx, did you change your avatar?

#1034651 - 10/13/08 04:26 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
 Quote:
Originally posted by izaldu:
[/b]
.. I can't believe people have actually climbed that thing!

Speaking from experience, often mountains which look pretty high in real life don't have quite the effect in photos. But that looks incredible in the picture, so it must look awesome to be near it! [/b]
It's not the hardest, (if weather is ok that is) , but it's intimidating at first sight. What makes it so special is not only the shape but the fact that it stands alone ...

#1034652 - 10/14/08 11:11 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Thank you, Polostrings and Kawai. Let me add my compliments to all the other great photos in this thread so far. I really enjoy seeing the great photographic talent on this forum.

#1034653 - 10/14/08 02:40 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawai, HI:

Boira and izaldu, looks a million miles from here (HI) but beautiful.
[/b]
Maybe because.... we're a million miles from you \:D

Everybody is posting amazing pics!

The Salt Flats really must be a unique place, absolutely different from everything else!

#1034654 - 10/14/08 04:05 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Yes Boira, the salt flats are unique, but there are some other places on earth that are similar. Lake Gairdner in Australia is one of them. It's also used for Land Speed Racing. But it's quite a bit further removed from civilization than Bonneville.

If you're interested in more photos of the salt flats, the cars, trucks and motorcycles that race there and various other items that caught my eye this year, I have just a few ;\) photos on my web server.

If you drop by there, I hope you enjoy. And in a somewhat reverse situation, I was in Barcelona a short time ago. It was only 38 years ago, but it seems like...well, not really a short time. :rolleyes: However, I enjoyed my time in Spain although most of it was in Seville or Moron de le Frontera. I visited a friend who lived there and studied flamenco guitar with Don Diego del Gastor, one of the more notable of the Flamenco Gypsy guitarists. I was honored to meet him and several others in that circle at that time. There are some photos from that time on this page. It was an incredible visit, but all too short (and slightly fuzzy) as I was on my way to Marrakesh in Morocco to hang out with the hippies after my discharge from the US army. It was a very interesting time.

#1034655 - 10/16/08 06:51 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Soybeans were harvest out of the field across the street today.

#1034656 - 10/16/08 10:19 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
KaylaX Offline

Cool pictures of the soy bean harvest. It reminds me of the rice being harvested here in Northern Cali. The two are very simular.

AspenX

#1034657 - 10/17/08 06:07 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Autumn has been late in coming this year, here near London in the UK. But here are a couple of October photos taken near where we live.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

#1034658 - 10/21/08 12:25 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
polostrings Offline

Great Fall Photos everyone!! I can feel the cool crispy air. Thanks!

#1034659 - 10/22/08 01:52 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lovely photos everyone. Here are a few more recent Fall foliage for your enjoyment from the Eastern Sierra, Nevada region.

Aspens in Autumn

Key Notes \:\)

#1034660 - 10/22/08 03:06 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Kawai, HI Offline

Key Notes, Those are beautiful shots! I would buy postcards made of those. Thanks for sharing.

#1034661 - 10/22/08 03:46 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Kawai, HI, You are more than welcome. So nice of you to take a look. I'm glad you enjoyed them, and certainly appreciate your kind thoughts and overly generous compliments.

#1034662 - 10/23/08 09:44 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Wonderful photos, KN. I loved the tightly cropped shot of the creek. The scattered leaves around it looked like they'd been arranged ever so carefully. (You didn't do that did you? ;\) )

You have a good eye for composition -- very, very nice.

#1034663 - 10/24/08 02:38 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RatMan:
Wonderful photos, KN. I loved the tightly cropped shot of the creek. The scattered leaves around it looked like they'd been arranged ever so carefully. (You didn't do that did you? ;\) )

You have a good eye for composition -- very, very nice. [/b]
Thanks Ratman. I'm glad you liked them. Although I was hoping that you wouldn't be viewing them with such a discerning eye being that it's just an amateurish attempt on my part. \:o

There was a leaf that wouldn't behave, so I had to... \:D No, I didn't dare touch or alter any of Nature's palettes in anyway. And while I love my Photoshop CS capabilities, I didn't even use that to alter any of these images either, not even to crop them. Although I don't know what I'm doing, I rather enjoy the challenges of capturing what I see on the spot as much as possible.

If you have any other advice, suggestions, or criticism on anything you see, please feel free to add them here or PM me. I can always learn from eveyone's input.

Regards,

#1034664 - 10/25/08 11:43 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Well, KN, I went back and looked at those photos again...with my glasses on. \:\) I saw that misbehaving leaf you were talking about. You did ok with it. \:D

Seriously, I can't find anything to criticize about at all. Those are lovely photos. They show the colors dramatically and, as I said, you have a very good eye for composition, especially if you didn't crop them. That's really good. They may seem "amateurish" because the subject is a common one, but it's also the type of thing you'll see in many landscape paintings and framed photos.

Another one that struck me was the shot of the river (I'm assuming it's not a lake) with the meadow and hills in the background and framed by a dead branch on the left and a live one with yellow leaves on the right tells a whole lot of stories and is composed beautifully.

I saved a couple of the photos and did a bit of post-processing to make 'em "pop" and came to the conclusion that while those with enhanced color and contrast might grab the eye more dramatically, they're not really any better than the originals...just slightly emphasized.

You done right good. \:\)

I attended a short photography seminar last week. (I'll do another one this coming week...they're free and I get a bit of insight from them so why not?) I found myself disagreeing with the young lady who was presenting it. She kept showing "good" and "bad" examples. With the exception of the very bad technical examples such as out of focus, "cutting off people's heads" (my ex-wife's grandmother would always say, "don't cut off my head" when I'd point a camera in her direction) I found that I saw more "art" in the bad examples than I did in the "good" ones.

There was one example of a young lady in a formal dress standing in a city street. Her feet were placed on the right side of the double yellow line running down the center. The line veered slightly to the left and her body was positioned to the right. Yes, there was a lot of noisy background, but if I'd had a few minutes with a photo editing program, I'd have cropped it and used an unsharp mask to soften the background. The yellow lines would have made a a great contrast to the purplish satin of her dress and the angles made an almost perfect "V." That angular composition was the first thing that hit me and I thought that emphasizing it would have made a nice "art" shot.

I mentioned this and wasn't met with a lot of approval from the young lady. I think she was trying to show how to move from taking "snapshots" to "photographs." I don't think she was ready to present artistic post-processing to the attendees yet.

So in my humble opinion, one person's novice efforts or even "bad shots" can become effective "message bearers" if presented correctly. I dunno if this will come across correctly, but we'll try it. It's a shot I took at a race (what else?) but it's backwards from the common paradigm of having the car in focus with the background blurred:

I had to work at getting this shot because I was so used to doing it the other way around. But the flag that's being displayed is a "debris or fluid" flag and was being shown to indicate a slippery track ahead. I thought that showing the car blurred made a mental connection with the concept of slippery so I tried until I got that one. I spose it's one of those things that works for some people and doesn't for others. I can't say that I'm crazy about the green Port-a-Potty to the side of the corner workers' station, but removing it seems to be more work than it's worth.

The rest of the photos from that LONG weekend (and one with weather that ranged from hot, dry and still to high winds, near-violent thunder and lightning and heavy rain and hail downpours) Are here:
Grand-Am Rolex Series season finale 1000 km race weekend

And then there's the current project (half finished...I have to write a lengthy narrative to accompany the photos):

The "Streamliner Shootout"

That's the same one that the bored golfer came from. I found myself as the "designated photographer" for the website that did what I believe is the first "live and direct forumcast" of an automotive event.

Ok...my coffee break's over. I gotta get back to the salt mines...so to speak and finish up the section of photos of the "Speed Demon" (the name of the car) that had an engine fire but was completely rebuilt in 30 hours to set a record in a different class. The builder of the car asked me to chronicle the efforts with photos, so I shot a heck of a lot more of that one than most of the others. Ohh...and this photo:

made the front page in a couple of small newspapers.

I sure love these seasonal photograph threads. There are so many great photographers here. I've mentioned this before, but I wonder how many photographers are keyboardists and vice-versa. Someone told me that many horn players are gourmet cooks...or something to that effect. I wonder if there's some sort of statistical correlation between musical instrument players and other areas of interest. Could be an interesting study...or maybe a doctoral dissertation. \:\)

#1034665 - 10/26/08 10:24 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for your input and comments Ratman. I truly appreciate them.

It's really great that you are attending these shows, classes, and seminars since there are so many fabulous talents to see and to learn from out there.

I like your idea and experiments with the reversed subject in focus. The timing to catch a car speeding by in front of that stand must've been just as hard if not harder than spanning to catch a 300+ mph car and make it look like it was standing still and in sharp focus, and you did a great job of that as well.

I also like that shot of the parachute being released from the Speed Demon, and congratulations on making it into the newspapers.

Happy Shooting!

#1034666 - 10/27/08 05:14 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Quote:

There are so many great photographers here. I've mentioned this before, but I wonder how many photographers are keyboardists and vice-versa. Someone told me that many horn players are gourmet cooks...or something to that effect. I wonder if there's some sort of statistical correlation between musical instrument players and other areas of interest. Could be an interesting study...or maybe a doctoral dissertation. \:\) [/b]
You're right RatMan... there must be some kind of correlation!

Both piano and photography are ways to tell stories without words. Both are art forms that need training and technical knowledge. Both of them need some kind of introversion from the part of the performer, because s/he has to enjoy the time by his/herself (practicing, playing, searching for the best angle...)

Interesting point!

#1034667 - 10/27/08 08:36 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ratman and Boira:
 Quote:

There are so many great photographers here. I've mentioned this before, but I wonder how many photographers are keyboardists and vice-versa. Someone told me that many horn players are gourmet cooks...or something to that effect. I wonder if there's some sort of statistical correlation between musical instrument players and other areas of interest. Could be an interesting study...or maybe a doctoral dissertation. \:\) [/b]
You're right RatMan... there must be some kind of correlation!

Both piano and photography are ways to tell stories without words. Both are art forms that need training and technical knowledge. Both of them need some kind of introversion from the part of the performer, because s/he has to enjoy the time by his/herself (practicing, playing, searching for the best angle...)

Interesting point! [/b]
I'm a believer![/b] \:\)

This is a wonderful thread!

Here are a couple shots from my point-and-shoot with seasonal color.

Near sunset - near home

Within moments of the above

I hope everyone enjoys,

Lisztener

#1034668 - 10/28/08 02:02 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
lizzy's dad Offline

Loc: Suburb of Seattle
Took advantage of some nice weather to participate in a volksmarch in Carnation, Wa.

l's dad

#1034669 - 10/28/08 08:08 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
We're going on a little get away drive to see "autumn leaves" today. My husband came home from a trip to Boise, Idaho on the weekend, which is a 10 hour drive from here, and he was raving about the gorgeous colors and scenery of the whole trip.

His first words upon arriving home were "We're going to take Tuesday and go for a drive in the country". We'll probably go to Snoqualmie or environs for lunch....if you can imagine!

Every one needs a piece of Nature!

"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree." Emily Bronte

#1034670 - 10/28/08 09:11 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Back yard with the great niece/nephews bird house

Out Front
PTG Associate

#1034671 - 10/28/08 10:41 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Now, that's what I call fall color, Monster! We don't get anything like that around here. Sometime close to Thanksgiving, the leaves of deciduous trees will turn yellow and/or brown and fall off, but we don't get those gorgeous oranges and reds. I always laugh when I see those Halloween "stuff a pumpkin" bags on the store shelves that are meant to be filled with fallen leaves. We don't have fallen leaves until well after Halloween. \:D

flickr

#1034672 - 10/28/08 11:14 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
KaylaX Offline

Wow!!!! Thats amazing. Nice photo's monster M&H.

AspenX

#1034673 - 10/29/08 06:10 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Wonderful photos, Lisztener and Monster M&H, These are amazing autumn colors!

#1034674 - 10/29/08 08:14 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It's always a battle between the rain and winds to see if they turn before they fall....I'm still waiting for that early morning sun rise, they make the best pictures...

Mother Nature at her best...
PTG Associate

#1034675 - 10/30/08 01:49 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oooh, Beautiful photos everyone.

Monster M&H, That tree is on fire.

#1034676 - 11/01/08 01:07 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Monster, those trees/leaves are beautiful! I love the photos.

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with HDR (or HDRI) High Dynamic Range Imaging. It's intent "is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows." (From the Wikipedia definition)

It's interesting stuff, especially since we've had our week of colored foliage (snow is forecast for Tuesday night/Wednesday...11/03-04) and I suppose that since Halloween is over it's about time for that sort of weather here a little east of the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Back to HDR. After some pretty hearty recommendations, I tested a software product called Photomatix. It takes a sequence of photos shot at different exposure values and combines them to produce an image that would normally be outside a camera's ability to capture (although I've heard rumors that the newest Nikon may be able to capture HDR images (by processing multiple exposures in the camera rather than in post-processing software.)

Here's a shot looking east on the street where I live toward the Wasatch mountains (ok, I don't really live on the salt flats...except during August, September and sometimes October) that was made with aperture priority, 800 ISO and f7.1 static parameters:

A fairly nice shot of Mount Olympus (not THAT one...the one in Utah), some clouds as the storms move in and some nicely colored foliage. But it's a little washed out (I only cropped and resized the original...I didn't do any color or contrast adjustments) and doesn't really give the feeling of "being there." But if I underexpose enough to get the true impression of the clouds over the mountains, the foliage is WAY underexposed:

Now comes HDR(I) technology. I bracketed those shots by 2 full f-stops under and over the normal aperture setting. Then I took the 3 photos (1 "normal", 1 underexposed and 1 overexposed) and brought 'em into Photomatix. (No, I don't own stock in the company...it just came (as I wrote) very highly recommended by a couple of pro shooters.

That allows me to do several things. First, it automatically aligns the 3 shots, matching up the features like the mountaintop, the the curbs, etc, without having to manually align them in different layers in a photo editor. It also allowed me to set the parameters of how drastic I want the contrast levels to be, regulate any smoothing or sharpening and a buncha other stuff that I haven't mastered yet. However, at it's default settings, it does a pretty good job:

The resultant image has the sky/clouds at an exposure level that doesn't wash out the subtle coloration. The same goes for the mountains and the trees. Three levels of exposure combined to create something the eye/mind can do by itself (and maybe a bit more) in a photo that a camera generally wouldn't be able to capture.

Last Thursday (10/30) I used up a buncha digital film at the final hot rod cruise night of the year. When the light went away, I was putting the camera and monopod back in my Burb when I noticed the colorful sunset. I thought this might be a good opportunity to get some shots and experiment with 'em. I didn't have a lotta time because the light was fading fast, so I grabbed the first subject I could find with a clear background that included the sunset. This is one of the resultant images:

I didn't use the +/- 2 full stops so I may have to re-create 'em from the originals by darkening/brightening 'em until I get the proper exposure levels for the truck, the mountains (the Oguirrh range) and the sunset. Because I only used a 2/3 +/- bracket it results in the "posterized" appearance...which ain't bad, but I'm gonna keep working at it to see if I can get a more life-like appearance of the truck. I used a flash on a couple of shots, so I may try those.

Now. It's interesting to me to see how I can get sidetracked in some off-the-wall project when I already have so many irons in the fire. The good news is that since "car season" is pretty much over for the year, I've been able to get back to the music when I'm not pretending to be an artist with the photos and the accompanying post-processing.

I found that after having had a 6-week break, the only things that seem to have suffered were the calluses on my left fingertips for stopping the strings on the bass. The keyboard stuff seems to be resuming at about the place I left it with very little degradation (ok...there wasn't a whole lot to degrade) and possibly some improvement after returning to an almost-daily practice routine. I was sorta worried about that. I've found myself branching into some different genres of music on the bass and I'm trying to follow that on the Hammond. Gonna be an interesting winter.

Finally, to Boira: I love the electric suppository photo. That's a beauty...as are your other photos. I can say that about all the other photos in this thread...absolute beauties. Thanks to all who've posted 'em. Please keep 'em coming.

Now I'll go play the organ for a while.

#1034677 - 11/01/08 02:59 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

RatMan,

Sorry to jump in before Boira, but these results are eye-catching examples of the process you describe. I'll check-out the software for my DSLR. The third image of the trees and mountain background combined is not only beautifully saturated with color throughout the focal length, it appears almost 3-D to me. Man, that's a postcard! Good stuff!

Thanks for sharing. Boira will be along soon, I'm sure, with her insights. \:\)

(I'm on my way to Florida, tomorrow, for two weeks. I'll be sure to check back for more beauties from you and others.)

Lisztener

#1034678 - 11/01/08 03:27 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Ratman,
That orange sunset cloud is unreal!

#1034679 - 11/01/08 05:55 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Quote:
RatMan,

Sorry to jump in before Boira, but these results are eye-catching examples of the process you describe. I'll check-out the software for my DSLR. The third image of the trees and mountain background combined is not only beautifully saturated with color throughout the focal length, it appears almost 3-D to me. Man, that's a postcard! Good stuff!

Thanks for sharing. Boira will be along soon, I'm sure, with her insights. \:\)

(I'm on my way to Florida, tomorrow, for two weeks. I'll be sure to check back for more beauties from you and others.)

Lisztener [/b]
Very quickly, the S/W is a standalone utility or a plug-in for PhotoShop. It's on this website: hdrsoft

Thank you for the kind words, Lisztener. I found this HDR stuff to be fascinating. Do some searching on the web and you'll see some of the most fantastic stuff imaginable...well, from a camera. \:\)

Have a safe trip,

#1034680 - 11/01/08 06:06 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

The orange cloud is pretty close to its real color...just slightly enhanced. The Great Salt Lake puts tons (literally) of mineral particles into the air as the water evaporates from the surface. When the sun sets, the diffraction from all that stuff in the atmosphere creates some pretty spectacular sunsets...and coloration on the clouds on the eastern side of the valley as a side effect...if the conditions are just right.

What can be really interesting is to catch some of the brightly colored clouds, a bit of blue sky and then a rainbow all together in the same shot. I wish I had a good one to show, but landscape/weather photography is not what I normally do, I'll just have to hope I can catch some of it when the next storm comes through...in the next couple of days. Of course, I may have snowstorm photos to start a "Photographs of Winter" thread since snow is forecast for next Tuesday and Wednesday.

I hope the winter goes quickly. It's not my favorite season. But at least I have more time for music then.

#1034681 - 11/01/08 08:27 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Interesting experiments with Photomatix Ratman. Thanks for sharing your visions and experiences. Are you going to upgrade to the latest HDR Nikon? You surely deserve it considering how often you use your cameras.

I'm badly in need of an upgrade myself to anything better than my little old Sony digital. \:\(

Regards,

#1034682 - 11/02/08 06:54 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

No, I'm not gonna defect to the Nikon camp. I've got too much invested in Canon stuff. And I probably won't upgrade to the latest Canon...I'm already 1 level behind in the D series (I use a 40D, the 50D came out just after I bought mine.) That's the bottom end pro camera. The 1D and 5D are completely out of my price range ($4000 and $8000.)

I'm lusting after a 100-400mm "L-series" lens (one of the white ones) but they retail at $2500 and even at street prices they're around $1300-$1600. I have to remember that I'm retired (supposedly) now and on a fixed income (quite a bit less than what I used to earn.) So I have to limit myself in the toys I buy.

Btw, KN, the Canon Powershot 1100 cameras are pretty kool. They're "shirt pocket" cameras and run around $200. I've considered buying one and seeing if I can get a case for camera and cell phone together. It'd be a handy thing to have. But I've bought my toys for this month.

Right now it's raining pretty steadily with gusty winds, so those mountains to the east of me won't be visible when the sun rises (well, takes cover behind the clouds) so if I decide to do any photography today it'll be of rainy weather...or something indoors.

This brings to mind an interesting concept that I read about on a different forum. A daily photo journal. I suppose one could take it about as far as one wished, but the idea was presented as having one photo every day for a year (or more.) The concept I read about suggested that the subject be something entirely different each day. I guess the opposite would be the time-lapse concept where one would shoot effectively the same thing every day of the year. I'd think that could get pretty boring...not to mention depressing if one were to shoot say, a tree or even the same shot I made down my street of the mountains for the months of December through March. The first couple might be ok, but February here is absolutely bleak. Nawww...I think I'd prefer a different subject. I need to think about it a bit more. Maybe some combination of the two. Maybe when I launch RayTheRat.com I can start doing a "Photo of the Day" thing. That site is intended to be my photography site while the Chevy Asylum (I just began rolling out its new look yesterday) will remain automotive-oriented.

I think I woke up too early. Five am on a rainy Sunday morning sounds like a good excuse to go back to bed. \:\)

I might just do that. Or I might just see about making some music.

Once again, thanks to all who post the fantastic photos here. I love 'em.

#1034683 - 11/02/08 10:17 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California

#1034684 - 11/02/08 10:21 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm amazed at all these beautiful photos! Well done, everyone.

Two weeks ago I bought my first proper camera - a D60. It's a bit of a step-up from what I was using before! Am trying to absorb all the photography tips I can because it is so much fun \:\)

I was planning on posting a few shots here, but my sig. line has a link to my flickr site which has my recent shots. If anyone wants to take a look, feel free. Any advice on how to improve my photos would be greatly appreciated.

Where do people stand on the digital-editing that can be done on the PC? When I take pictures now, I always have a little fiddle with white balance and saturation levels which usually brings out a better picture. Is it a common approach these days, or is it a photographic no-no (is it considered cheating?)?

#1034685 - 11/02/08 02:18 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Very kool, Van. Since I'm a long way from an ocean, the simple beauty of the ocean is very attractive to me. I love the interplay of the lines in something one would normally think of as "unlined." Good stuff.

Euan, in my world (a strange one, but they know me here, so it's ok) post-processing is just part of the entire process. One of the other track photographers (we're all wannabes) where I did my sports car racing stuff this year said that his publisher (he has a publisher!!!) wants him to sharpen the photos before he sends them in. It seemed strange to me that they'd have a standing rule like that, but apparently they see that as part of the process, too.

I just looked at your Flickr Photostream and I'd say you're doing pretty darned well. The "Old Course Clubhouse" shot looks very close to an HDR effect. Keep up the great stuff.

#1034686 - 11/02/08 02:32 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the nice comments, RatMan!

So I don't have to feel guilty after I enhance my photos - I was scared there was an unofficial rule that you can only use what you captured, rather than perfecting an image at the computer

I've been using the free GIMP software, rather than PhotoShop or anything. I might save and get the Nikon NX2 package in the future.

Other questions, whilst I'm learning:
- Tripods. I picked up a very cheap tripod as it was all I could afford at the moment. However, my SLR for Dummies book (yes, i bought that!) mentions that cheap tripods are useless. Is it worth saving for a more expensive one; what does it do that my one can't, is my question?

- Is it better to shoot in RAW or JPEG? I don't have issues with size/space of files, I just want to get the best pictures I can.

#1034687 - 11/02/08 02:45 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Van,
Just want to say it's really good to "see" you. Where have you been all this time? A number of us have been thinking about you. Hope all is well!

#1034688 - 11/02/08 04:41 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

You're welcome, Euan.

Tripods: The general opinion is "do you want to trust your expensive camera and lenses to a cheap tripod?" With that said, I don't think one has to break the bank, either. I have a relatively inexpensive tripod. I very rarely use it...only for extreme telephoto shots on the salt flats where cars are running well over 200 mph. But I have a good monopod because I use it for almost all my shots. I have problems with microtremors in my hands and it makes hand-holding the camera almost impossible, except for the fastest shutter speeds and the shortest of lenses.

If I had a monopod that was slipping or had a tendency to lose its grip on the camera...or on the leg extensions, I'd hate it. So I got one that was good, but not the most expensive one I could find. It's a Canon unit and has a ball-shaped head movement arrangement. I've had it for about a year and used it real heavily this past summer. It's beginning to get a little unstable at that ball and clamp setup. I kinda expect that I'll be buying a sturdier one next year.

So the answer is, "do what's right for you", I suppose. But there are some tripods that I REALLY wouldn't want to trust my camera on.

Photo Editor: I like Corel Paint Shop Pro. It was $80 and does a very good job. It's a little quirky, by I found Gimp to be the even quirkier. Most pros use PhotoShop exclusively and many of them prefer Apple computers to Windoze or Linux-based machines. Again, this is a "what's right for YOU" thing. I've got so much invested in Windoze XP and the computers that run it that it'd cost me an arm and a leg to replicate it with Apple hardware and software. I run a couple of Linux boxes, but not in a graphical environment. Anyway, my recommendation here would be to start with the trial version of PSP and if you feel that you need it, move to Photoshop. I'd actually like to find someone's old copy of CS2 or CS3 to see if there's stuff I can't live without (uh-oh...I think my finances are gonna take a hit if I'm not careful.)

RAW vs Jpg. Well, I shoot jpg almost exclusively. Most of my keeper photos end up on the web. Very few of them get printed. (Because of this, I set my image size to the smallest high quality image I can: 1900x1300 approximately...I get sharper photos for web use this way.) But there are some advantages to RAW. The biggest one is that you get exactly what the camera saw...without any corrections or "presets." For me, size IS an issue, since I'll take over 1000 shots during a one-day racing event. The Streamliner Shootout I covered for landracing.com resulted in somewhere between 8 and 10 thousand images for a 4-day event. I was bracketing exposures, so you can divide that by 3 to get the number of "real photos." If I'd done that in RAW, I never could have stored them all on my laptop before I got home to unload 'em onto my 2.5 terabyte productions workstation...or at least without a lotta time and effort to clear space for 'em. At 16mb per image, they get kinda unwieldy. Besides that, PSP has a hard time with RAW or CR2 (Canon's special RAW format.)

I dunno if this has helped or just muddies the waters. There are many photography forums on the web...many of them have sections for DSLR and also the Nikon vs Canon wars (I mean subforums \:D )

Keep shooting...I look forward to more of your beautiful landscapes.

#1034689 - 11/02/08 05:51 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for all this great advice!

With the tripods you wrote: "But there are some tripods that I REALLY wouldn't want to trust my camera on". I think mine falls into that category (it cost equivalent of $15!). It was either that or a $150 one.

I have only used it once so far, and it did okay. Until I get a better thing, it will have to do, so I will always keep a hand beside the camera incase it falls (and also keep the strap around my neck as a back-up!).

I will need to look into photo software more closely, and understand what each package can do. With the Gimp, all I have used so far is the colour refinements, and the crop tool. Nothing complex - I can only imagine what some of the higher-end packages can do!

You make a really crucial point about image size and quality. Up until now I've been shooting the largest image size with the highest quality setting. But, like you, I probably won't be doing much printing so I should sacrifice the extra size and get better quality of image. Thanks!

Next step is to join a friendly forum I think and learn from there.

1000 images per day, and a 2.5TB workstation - wow!

#1034690 - 11/03/08 02:23 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Ratman, Speaking like a true Canon camp fan. Thanks for the suggestions regarding the Canon Powershot. I was checking it out online a while back but have forgotten all about it. I'm all for small and compact as long as it still performs a big job, well. I guess I'm not expecting too much. \:D

Euan, Here's one site that could also be helpful.

http://www.naturephotographers.net

#1034691 - 11/18/08 12:28 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

I know I'm late but I need to comment on HDR.
HDR has saved (for me) many pictures which otherwise should have ended up in the bin. Sometimes it's impossible to expose correctly for a whole scene.

The correct exposure to the sky leaves the ground in darkness, and correct exposure to the dark motifs results in totally burnt bright parts.
My father used to have graded filters to avoid that problem.
I know some people may call it cheating, but my "filter" now is Photoshop.

Different shots with bracketing exposures... and make the jigsaw via software with the parts correctly exposed.

I'm not proud at all of that picture, but it was taken in September (autumn!). It's Seljandsfoss, in Iceland. I had no option: or the sky gets burnt or the ground remains in darkness.
I promise I'll post a better pic, this one just sucks.

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=seljandsfosshdrcz6.jpg

#1034692 - 11/18/08 01:37 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just FYI... I have a Canon A80, great camera. My old SLR is a Pentax ME Super...been a long time since that one's been in my hands. Also own a Bogen Tripod, has to be 25 yrs old now...holycow...I'm getting old:)

Use to shoot alot of 35 slide, extachrome and superchrome, gray card and bracket pics...the only way to go...
PTG Associate

#1034693 - 11/18/08 07:29 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Boira,

You may dislike your Icelandic waterfall as the photographed subject...I find it beautiful, myself, BTW. It's an excellent example of HDR Imaging for some of us who shoot less professional looking photos than those we've seen from you, RatMan and/or others.

I'm captivated by the technique and results. I have Photoshop 7.0 and wonder if it is capable of this process in combination with my Nikon D-70 prosumer camera?

Thank you for the link to your beautiful photo highlighting this seemingly magical combination of images.

Best regards,

Lisztener

#1034694 - 11/19/08 12:35 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Boira Offline

Lisztener,
with Photoshop 7.0 you can do anything you may want with your pictures. It's true that newer versions have implemented some features, but HDR is totally withing the range of action of PS7.
But be careful.... it's addictive!!

These are a couple of short but very intuitive tutorials for HDR with PS:

http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdrituteuu6.jpg

http://oysteinwika.com/#/blog/photoshop-tutorial-hdr/

There are millions of pages with PS tutorials and free resources. One of my favourites is www.deviantart.com

Thanks for your comments on my picture \:\) on my "to do" list is written "finding a *good* example of HDR" \:D

#1034695 - 11/19/08 09:19 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

HDR is very interesting stuff. I love the waterfall, Boira. To my eye, it doesn't suck at all.

I've been furiously restructuring my primary website, The Chevy Asylum
so that I can move my photographic efforts to the new domain, RayTheRat.com

I've started a photoblog there to force myself to start seeing things other than cars and bikes as photographic subjects.

This morning, I saw a mailbox (we have mailboxes for each 8 houses in my neighborhood...you can see one of them on the left of the HDR photo of the street, trees, mountains and sky) that had steam rising from it.

A couple of options occurred to me. First, I thought about calling the ATF to check out a possible letter bomb, and then sanity returned (sorta) and I decided that I liked it so I grabbed the camera and started shooting. This is what I came up with:

I've been looking at it off and on most of the day...I had some 8x10s printed and that was one of 'em...and I'm starting to tire of it, but I liked the fact that one could see three states of water in the photo and the bokeh effect made the trails of steam stand out.

Strangely, I tried several HDR effects on the shots I took and it didn't work very well, unless you like abstract imagery.

But the HDR treatment worked out in a very interesting way for a couple of autumn foliage shots. Here's one of 'em:

I suppose I'll get over this HDR fixation eventually. I've been going over a lot of older shots as I do the website rework and I can see where I've gone thru phases of ultra-white backgrounds, camera tilt, extreme close-up and so on. Maybe one of these days I'll settle on a style and call it my own.

In the meantime, I've actually found a little time to play bass and organ a bit. The music seemed to take a back seat while I was on the road for about 6 weeks and then spent another 2 weeks catching up on the photos I'd done...and a little forensic work to determine the cause of a fire in a streamliner that severely burned the driver. The series of photos can be seen here:
Missile, part 3 and then in the following section. It's a long story but we were able to put together some of the reasons behind the fire (it was a "for want of a nail the war was lost" series of things that shouldn't have gone wrong, but did.) I alluded to it in an earlier post, but we did some serious investigation that has resulted in a couple of safety rule changes and may bring a couple more about. I hope.

Ok...I gotta go back to my website work, then play a bit of the blues before bedtime.

Best regards to all,

#1034696 - 11/19/08 10:43 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

RatMan, the frozen mailbox pic is quite nice. This one reminds me of a time fishing years ago when I had a boat. I was near the outlet of a power plant where the cooling water is returned to the lake, and it was a bit of a cool morning. I fished as steam rose from the water around me. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me to capture the effect.

I'm not certain I care for the HDR'ed autumn leaves, though. It's a bit over the top for my taste. It looks almost posterized. Hey, there's no accounting for taste (mine), right?

flickr

#1034697 - 11/20/08 01:25 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Boira,

Thanks much for the information on PS 7.0 and thanks for the links. I'm eager to take a look at them and I promise to be careful, but you sure have made it difficult to keep from becoming addicted with all the stuff you have mixed with your mortar and pestle and then dispensed. \:D

I can hardly wait to see the results of your "to do" list with another example of HDRI.

You are too critical of your waterfall. It's a nice example of the process and a nice photo in its own right. :p \:\)

Thank you, again,

Lisztener

#1034698 - 11/20/08 01:40 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

RatMan,

I'm with Dennis on the two photos above.

Nice positioning and overall composition with the mailbox, IMO. The leaves look like a red and yellow Rorschach test...just teasing, my friend.

You seem to have the determination to master any endeavor you set your mind to accomplish.

Thanks for sharing,

Lisztener

#1034699 - 11/20/08 03:34 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Quote:
RatMan,

I'm with Dennis on the two photos above.

Nice positioning and overall composition with the mailbox, IMO. The leaves look like a red and yellow Rorschach test...just teasing, my friend.

You seem to have the determination to master any endeavor you set your mind to accomplish.

Thanks for sharing,

Lisztener [/b]
Thanks, Lisztener. I think that determination might just a symptom of being too dumb to know when to quit. :rolleyes:

I agree that the foliage shot is a bit over the top. It makes an interesting desktop wallpaper. My eyes start to cross if I stare at it too long.

#1034700 - 11/20/08 11:39 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TinyHands Offline

Loc: Reston, Virginia
Hope it's not too late to join. (It's freezing now. Brrrr.) Some shots I took at Great Falls, Lock 22, in Maryland a couple weeks ago. This is the hiking trail along the canal. Looks lovely every year.

Never posted an image before. Hope it works. (Crossing my tiny fingers here.)

Stay warm. \:\)
TinyHands

ps (phew! it works!)

#1034701 - 11/21/08 01:19 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
RatMan Offline

Very nice, Tinyhands. I love the reflections in the water. The 3rd one is my favorite. It seems to be a 50-50 split between subject and reflection. Right nice!

#1034702 - 11/21/08 02:07 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Beautiful fall colors, tiny. I agree with
RatMan; the third pic is fabulous.

flickr

#1034703 - 11/22/08 12:58 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Do you guys have any particular favourite photographers?

I have flicked through books/portfolios by Henri Cartier-Bresson and Ansel Adams. Are they the two most famous photographers? I am looking to buy some nice books after the christmas rush is over.

I also enjoy Scottish landscape photography, which is a speciality of a chap named Colin Prior.

#1034704 - 11/22/08 02:29 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I have to agree Ratman...that 3rd one is sweet... Nice job everyone..
PTG Associate

#1034705 - 11/26/08 10:23 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
This picture was taken from my back door this morning. It doesn't usually freeze here until December. It got down to 28 degrees only twice last year. Since the plants are all tropical, I move them inside or onto the carport during the freezing periods.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1034706 - 11/26/08 07:30 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
polostrings Offline

Mike White,

Great shot! I am more amazed by the jungle you created in your yard, than I am of the photo. Thanks for sharing!

#1034707 - 11/26/08 08:10 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks. You probably take these tropicals for granted in your climate, but the folks up north must be envious.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1034708 - 11/26/08 11:02 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

That's a really nice backyard, Mike.

flickr

#1034709 - 11/27/08 03:41 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you Dennis. Having blooming flowers helps to make the dreary days of winter more bearable.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1034710 - 11/27/08 04:25 PM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
“Having blooming flowers helps to make the dreary days of winter more bearable”

This may help with the winter days too…… maybe a fall trip around the Gulf Islands here in the northwest…..

After clicking on the link, left click on the first picture top left, this will allow you to read the text below each frame …… have a fun trip……. Taken with a Nikon P5100 12.2 MP

http://picasaweb.google.com/silverwoodpianos/GulfIslands2008#

For Euan Morrison:

Try a book called An Enterprising Life, by Cyril E. Leonoff About the life of Leonard Frank.
Photographs from 1895-1944

www.silverwoodpianos.com
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1034711 - 11/28/08 09:46 AM Re: OT: Pictures of Autumn
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverwood Pianos:

For Euan Morrison:

Try a book called An Enterprising Life, by Cyril E. Leonoff About the life of Leonard Frank.
Photographs from 1895-1944

www.silverwoodpianos.com [/b]
Thanks, will look in to it \:\)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
61 registered (beeboss, AndrewJCW, a-z0-9, bennevis, Baudelaire, 17 invisible), 1146 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156244 Topics
2294638 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
07/29/14 05:30 AM
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
07/28/14 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission