Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
123 registered (Almaviva, anamnesis, accordeur, ando, 37 invisible), 1668 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1034712 - 02/15/07 12:06 AM Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Please utilize this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #5 that is taking place in the Recital Room.

When providing opinion or critique of the performances, please try to limit yourself to a single post - either write notes and post at the end or create a post and edit it as you go along.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will.

Critical discussion should take place in the Recital #5 Critical Discussion Room .

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1034713 - 02/15/07 12:53 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Monica,

I just got finished listening to your recital piece. I listened to it first because Longing/Love is one of my favorite Winston pieces as well. I have to say I loved it (no pun intended!). If there's any red dot syndrome there it sure is hard to tell. The first few minutes (before the main theme) are so atmospheric and you make the transition to the bouncier rhythm of the main theme really well.

I really enjoyed your performance and admire your recording tremendously!

#1034714 - 02/15/07 12:57 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Note to everyone: I've "featured" the General & Critical discussion rooms for Recital 5 along with the recital itself so they'll be readily accessible to everyone. I'll unfeature them when the comments start to peter out.

#1034715 - 02/15/07 01:25 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I have to say that Super-Hunky's performance blew me away. I think he had reached a plateau with his previous recordings and IMHO, with this one, he's looking down on that plateau from some distance!

#1034716 - 02/15/07 02:22 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
WOW!!

*Stands up for Standing Ovation*

I am absolutely blown away by all the awesome recordings!!

#1034717 - 02/15/07 04:21 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Thank you all for a wonderful recital !

I'm sorry, but I will probably never have time to listen carefully to everybody. Since you all play better than me there will be no critical comments either, just a little extra applaus for my personal favourites as a listener:

Kathleen: "Traumerei" is sort of overplayed, but you really are a performer !

Joemoshi: I love Tango - and I think the rhytm was there..

Peter: Scarlatti deserves some attention, this is really beautiful music, thankyou !

Euan Morrison : Of course, this is the right choice for a Love-Recital, and so beutifully played !

Peyton: I watched Arrau playing "Carnaval" the other day, but your version of "Chopin" has got "soul" - I love it.

Maryrose: A Mozart Adagio is maybe the most romantic I can think of - excellent choice !

Bluemarine: Thankyou for playing a piece that I have not heard for many years, it is really one of the greatest love-songs. And your playing is again professional.

C7 Player : There is something about how you make your piano sound that is just perfect for ragtime...

A big applause for all the others - there are so much hard work behind all this and so many of the performances are very close to professional. Also an applause for those who were too shy to send their performances even if they were just as good as the others !

Love you all !

Ragnhild

#1034718 - 02/15/07 04:40 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Euphonatrix Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hessen, Germany
Can't wait to get home tonight to listen to several pieces .... jeeez, should have feigned migraine and stayed home or something ... \:\) I'm sooo curious.
Thanks to every contributant in advance and thanks to Bob Muir for setting it up again!

#1034719 - 02/15/07 04:58 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
Sarah M - if you have only been back at piano for 8 months then I think you are doing really well with the Fantasie Impromptu. Very well done! Adrian

#1034720 - 02/15/07 07:09 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Bob1904 Offline

Loc: USA
Wow. I've been listening to a song here and a song there, and as always, I'm blown away by the pianists in this forum.

Thank you to everyone who had the courage to hit the record button and submit a song. No kidding, you guys are an inspiration!

#1034721 - 02/15/07 08:35 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Kawaigirl1: yes very mysterious and then Bam!! boy thats fast fingerwork! A great start to the recital

Lisztener: Sounded lovely to me nice expression wheres the red dot syndrome?

Michele (AdagioM): Hi Michele I got your file to play today...YAAAAAAAAAYYY!! what a lovely touch you have, very nice indeed.

Seaside: I just wanna be you

loveschopintoomuch: A delight to hear you play as always thankyou, I see how it can bring a tear

Luigi: I always have trouble with save file dunno why?...I'll come back to it later

Super Hunky: I'm with Bob...your best yet

Monica Kern: Well, I've just spent 9 minutes and 25 seconds!!! in the delightful company of Monica and her piano and Monica I have to say that was absolutely worth every minute...I love the way you play!

Copper: Not my favourite piece of music but, I thought you made a good job of it

joemoshi: a lovely tango, maybe it needs more drama to get what you wish for it

Peter: That compression is rather harsh, I notice it is still a .Wav file maybe try converting to an MP3 file next time will give you a better sound?

Ragnhild: delightful, thankyou

Vincentime: Sounded fine to me, I'll leave it to the classical pianists to give you pointers

dannylux (Mel): You must have played a lot as a kid, that intro was incredible, just fab playing Oh my!! I am definitely starting to like Chopin

Funky_Fred: Oh Fred..I love it...jeez I love it

Sandy Moore: It somehow reminds me of an underwater scene?...perfect mermaid music

Jon Gray (HouseHead78): For 11 months!!...WOW!

craig137 Craig: Bottom song of 4? I could only see "Fool to hurt you"???....where exactly d'ya mean? (liked all the hot chicks that are your buddies though!!!! OMG )

Ozor Mox: Thankyou for sending me another link...got it to work no problems this time and boy am I glad I did. I don't know this piece at all but, I could listen to you play all day...It was so beautiful it gave me chills. I shall be burning it to CD and playing it over and over along with most of the beautiful music in this recital...one of my favourites for sure.

Stephenc: Aww man...that's at a level I like too...how good? jeez I love that too

Buck: My friend, from that intro I just knew it...that is just simply gorgeous...awww man

Euan Morrison: I will buy your first album, you can do no wrong in my eyes...love everything about it

Serge88: Hello Sir Elton!!...I love this song and it is on my can't play list so I'm jealous...wonderful just wonderful, I adore your version, its so wanting, kinda makes you want to cry

Mike White: Everything you touch is like goldust...you are still a GOD, doesn't seem to matter whether you read it or play it by ear...you're a genius

Laura D: Thoroughly enjoyed listening to your polka thanks

Jazzyprof: Thanks for the lyrics, wow you can play that's for sure...3 years!! I'm depressed now (only kidding but, still...WOW!)

mdp1w (Daria): I love your link to the theme (you "love snow" that is brilliant!!)
Your playing is divine, I really, really like this piece

TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner): That has such a 30/40s feel to it...I've decided I want to be you, I was thinking of playing this song...glad I didn't now

Nighteyes: how good is that?? have no idea what I could say that could make it any better

Piano again: once again what wonderful playing, theres something about Chopin

Triryche: You sound great...can't all have been theory, well played

mahlzeit: From sheet music now!! your talents never cease to amaze me!!! lovely

Peyton : You are another with amazing talents...incredibly beautiful and inspiring

LisztAddict: Oh yes more beautiful Chopin...I'm already a fan of yours and this is no disappointment, hope you get over the flu soon

Mary-Rose: Yes very reflective, glad you are back in the saddle

Sarah M: In 6 or 7 months you are back up to that level...WOW!!!

Ishmael: no link yet

Mary Alice Kropp (IrishMak): This is your best so far IMHO...a few hesitations maybe? and take care with the sustain in places ...any pasta left?

Bluemarine: You play far better than me, so I'll just say...very well played...the drama you create in those build ups incredible

Schubertian: 4 months after a 40 year break!!!...it sounds like you've never been away...brilliant!

NancyM333: Oooh I love it, I always thought that was Glenn Miller (duh what do I know) love the walking bass...yes very entertaining BRAVO!!

Debussy20 (AKA: Matt): Matt you are just so talented, a joy to listen to...could listen to you play for longer thats for sure

C7 Player Greg Smith: Greg, I like ragtime...one of my favourite films of all time is "The Sting" and this piece always reminds me of Redford and Newman...well played...MORE!

DragonPianoPlayer / Rich Meredith: Glad your piece made it...liked the change of pace...awesome for only 6 months back in the saddle

AQP_87 (Álvaro Quiles Pomares): needs polish huh?...man you are such a talent...a great finish to another wonderful recital

I shall be playing this one over and over

Thanks all

regards

Lee

to be continued...

#1034722 - 02/15/07 09:03 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I'm sitting here with a stack of midterm exams to grade, so I won't be able to listen to or comment at length on all the submissions for a while, but I have been so curious to hear the "vesion of Nefeli that will knock your socks off" by mr_super-hunky that I just had to give it a quick listen. Yes, I think it is the best work you've submitted to date, hunky. \:\)

I honestly didn't know what to expect, as Einaudi's work is so 'precise,' for want of a better word, that I didn't know how it would respond to the Super-Hunky Llama Method of Improvising. But what you've created is not pure Einaudi but a Super-Hunky/Einaudi hybrid, and it is very very good indeed.

#1034723 - 02/15/07 09:20 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Bob,

I don't see my entry on the recital. Did you not receive it?

Thanks
Rich

#1034724 - 02/15/07 09:32 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The first email must have gotten lost in the bit bucket Rich. I just received your second email and added it to the recital.

Bob

#1034725 - 02/15/07 10:04 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
I can't access the pieces on filesharing websites at work because of our filters here, but I did get to listen to a couple of the website pieces.

Mr. S-H: I am very impressed at your prelude, and Nefeli sounds great. I have a friend learning this piece, and she says putting the hands together is very difficult. Yours sounds very smooth.

Monica: How in the world did you get such a great recording of a long piece like that? My own piece is a minute and a half, and I still have many stammers and stalls in there. It's beautiful. I did not hear technical problems. The fast sections were very clean. I had forgotten how much I enjoy George Winston's music, so thanks for reminding me.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1034726 - 02/15/07 10:11 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Thanks Bob.

#1034727 - 02/15/07 11:17 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
I gotta add a correction to my entry- I've been taking lessons for almost Two[/b] years, not three. My typing skills are no better than my piano playing!

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1034728 - 02/15/07 11:46 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
I think that guests to this forum are going to want to go out and buy a piano after hearing this music.

Congratulations everyone on your progress.

Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1034729 - 02/15/07 12:06 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMak:
I gotta add a correction to my entry- I've been taking lessons for almost Two[/b] years, not three. My typing skills are no better than my piano playing! [/b]
Thanks for the laugh...that was good... Only have listened to a few as of yet...(I am at work, at least today I am ... a DaimlerChrysler worker) great job everyone first for MAKING the time to record and submitting...
PTG Associate

#1034730 - 02/15/07 12:57 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Mr. Widmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost
Thank you, Lee! \:D

This recital proves that we, Adult Beginners, have SO MUCH to say...

I've heard several recordings, I didn't have time, but I'll listen to all of them... I LOVE everything I've heard. Amazing. Nothing more to say... Just awesome, guys.

#1034731 - 02/15/07 01:45 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
General comments: It took several hours to listen to everyone’s contributions, and I enjoyed every minute. I have only recently returned to playing after a long, long absence, and you inspire me to practise more and try harder. Thank you one and all.

Two people I really missed: Funburger and Frycek. Please come back next time!

#1034732 - 02/15/07 02:23 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lee- Thank you! Yes, those were hesitations in spots- can't seem to get those completely exorcised, especially with that Red Dot staring me in the face! On the sustain comment- were you referring to the verse? Because, yeah, I've been struggling with the pedaling there for a while. It doesn't sound quite right without it, but it's easy to go too much. Pedaling is still one of my bigger weaknesses.

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1034733 - 02/15/07 03:50 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
 Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMak:
I gotta add a correction to my entry- I've been taking lessons for almost Two[/b] years, not three. My typing skills are no better than my piano playing! [/b]
Thanks for the laugh...that was good... [/b]
Yeah, but the sad part is- I've been typing for waaaaaaay more than 2 years...

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1034734 - 02/15/07 04:30 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Kawaigirl1:[/b] You know I am your absolute biggest fan. Once again, you did not disappoint my highest expectations from you. I am thinking of kidnapping you and making you play piano for me all day long, somewhere in the french riviera of course!! ;\)

Lisztener:[/b] You have a very relaxing and warm sounding piano. I can certainly feel all the emotion you put into this piece as well. You go into my "soothing music" file for night time listening.

AdagioM:[/b] Michele, I am a huge fan of music that uses "alternative" chords throughout and this piece is a great example of this. If you listen to Barry Manilow's "could it be magic" tune, it is full of the same types of chords. I really liked your piece.

SeasideLee:[/b] Holy crap Lee you are getting really good. I mean REALLY good!. The first rolling chord you played in the very begining literally gave me goose bumps (I swear it really did!!). I'm too cheap to pay for piano magic so I figure I'll just copy the best.....you!!. Fantastic!.

loveschopintoomuch:[/b] Kathleen, very nice job. This piece reminded me of a old fashioned silent movie I once watched that had no words spoken but only beautiful piano music playing in the background. Even your bright and crisp piano sounded very authentic. I very much enjoyed it.

LuigiV:[/b] I was starting to grind my teeth waiting for the 3-minute download time from savefile..arrrgh!, however, your piece made the wait well worth while. VERY proffesionally played AND sounding. Your recording was absolutely pro quality.

Super-Hunky:[/b] Not too shabby for a semi-challenging piece. Next time try unbolting the pedal from the floor and an acoustic submission some day would also be nice....you moron!

MonicaKern:[/b] I am absolutely blown away by the difficulty and quality of music you always seem to crank out and this time you did it while performing a 9 1/2 minute piece!....unbelievable!. Oh yea,....your recording sounded incredible as well (as I bang my head on the wall!!)

Copper:[/b]Cu, Way to take the number one overplayed piano score and still make it enjoyable to listen to. You performed it perfectly and your timing was spot on.

joemoshi:[/b]Very skillfully performed. I liked the snappy-ness to this piece and actually had my fingers clicking together like castanets!

Peter:[/b]Such a beautiful classical piece. Very nice to listen to and your recording quality was crystal clear.

Ragnhild:[/b]While I am not familiar with most classical pieces, your performance has me peeking into some of the easier selections to possibly try in the future. I wish I could read music at this difficulty level, but I can't. I DO enjoy hearing it however and your was a pleasure to listen to.

Vincentimes:[/b] Wow, those are some very "perky" fingers you've got!. I wish you played some more as you obviously have the talent. More please!!

dannylux:[/b]Mel, That was unbelievable!!, I mean like non-human!. How could you possibly get that good? (and play that fast?). I was truly blown away by that performance....BRAVO!

Funky Fred:[/b]I put a few bucks in the tip jar for you!. I could listen to you play in a lounge setting all night long as you have such a smooth and relaxing style. You also made it onto my "relaxing night time music" collection.

Sandy Moore:[/b]A very "pretty" piece you played. It almost sounded like beautiful harp music that you transposed for the piano. I could imagine a trickling waterfall while this piece played in the background. Very nice.

HouseHead78:[/b]Jon, very impressive for only playing less than a year. I could definitely sense your emotion while playing and your basics (timing, volume control, tempo) were very good. Keep it up.

Craig:[/b]Wow, that took some serious guts to do!. My hat is off to you for being the first piano and vocal submission.

Ozor Mox:[/b]Those were some really fancy frills and trills!. Must be nice to be talented to play that kind of music.......someday!!

Stephenc:[/b]You are now "officially" the Jim Brickman king!. I saw Jim in concert just a few months ago and I can honestly say your performance of his songs sound at least as good, if not better than his!!.

2 B Continued.

#1034735 - 02/15/07 04:39 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Due to time constraints, I will post 10-a-day (hopefully). So here is no's 1-10[/b]:

Kawaigirl: I love this piece, so I also know how difficult it is! Loved the way you maintained the arpeggios and kept the flow of the piece. And also made it so haunting as well. Brilliant recording!

Lisztener: Looking at the title I thought it would be a new piece for me. But once you started playing, I instantly recognized it! A beauty to listen to - very graceful and lovely. Also loved the tone of the piano on top. Didn't hear the slightest Red Dot problems \:\)

AdagioM: I'm not familiar with the piece but you captured the atmosphere well! All the chords were hit spot on in-sync - a very soothing piece. The bass run near the ending sounded tricky!

Seaside: Once again I tip my hat to your playing! I swear, I could listen to you all day. A beautiful dedication, and your recording was spot on. Well done (again).

Loveschopintoomuch: Very beautiful to listen to - you kept the pace well, and produced a gorgeous recording. I felt the tone of the piano fitted the piece well, it had a vintage sound to it.

LuigiV: After hearing your previous work, I had high expectations for you today. And again, you performed so well. I admire your playing so much, and the pieces you selected fit well and were very captivating.

S-H (the man who only needs initials!): I think this is the first Einaudi-improv which has been recorded. And it works! You put enough of your own touches into it, yet kept the main themes of the piece as well. Nice one!

Monica: over 9 minutes - you must have nerves of steel! Your playing had great sensitivity which was perfect for this piece. Your certainly made a tranquil, and catchy recording. From what I've heard of the original, this is almost identical!

Copper: You are waay to hard on yourself! Your recording is very enjoyable to listen to, especially considering the piece is more difficult than people imagine. You kept the flow well, and played some tricky passages really good.

Joemashi: Not a piece I know, but was enjoyable to listen to. I did hear the tango rhythm coming out from your playing. The piece sounded quite a difficult one to play, and you got it down well.

#1034736 - 02/15/07 04:39 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
We must have been listening and writing at the same time, SH

#1034737 - 02/15/07 05:23 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
kawaigirl[/b]
That is an interesting, mysterious sounding piece. It sounds very challenging, particularly the fast passages. Notice that I keep posting pieces with slower tempos. \:D You played it exceptionally well. I really don't know the piece, so all I can say is it sounds correct to me.

Lisztener[/b]
Very expressive playing of this emotional piece. You played very well, and I enjoyed listening, or is that lisztening. Your piano and the quality of your
recording are both fantastic.

Michele[/b]
Nice work of the Copland piece. You played it expressively and well. It sounds just like it's title, a peaceful evening relaxing outdoors.

Seaside Lee[/b]
Excellent rendition of one of my all time favorite songs. I found myself wanting to sing along. You rock! In light of your dedication, you chose the perfect song; very emotional.

loveschopintoomuch[/b]
Beautiful Traumerei. Thanks for the bit of history about the piece as well. It is a beautiful piece, and you certainly did it justice.

LuigiV[/b]
Your selections from Kinderszenen were played emotionally, expressively, and flawlessly to my ear. I enjoyed listening. Thank you.

Mr Super-Hunky[/b]
Geez, the first time I typed that it came out Super-Junky. I'm glad I looked up before I hit Edit Post in light of the fact that you want only positive feedback. Seriously, your playing was excellent on this piece. I haven't heard it often, but I cannot imagine that it could sound any better. 'Nuff said.

Monica Kern[/b]
Yes, that certainly sounds like a challenging piece. I haven't heard it before, but you played it well and expressively. My goodness, I'm certainly not up for anything that long. I don't think I could even play Mary Had a Little Lamb for 9 minutes plus. The tone you elicit from your piano fits the mood of this piece perfectly. Very dark and wistful sounding.

Copper[/b]
Congratulations for having the b ... er ... guts to post the piece everyone loves to loathe. I think it's a beautiful piece when played well, but the only part I can play well is the main theme. The other sections are much more challenging. I think AJB's advice in the other thread is excellent. This is not[/b] a beginner piece, in my opinion. You have a good start as you have most of the notes right; you just need to work on the timing and tempo a bit more.

joemoshi[/b]
Nice! Tango is a difficult rhythm to master. You've done quite well, here. This made me want to dance, and I can't dance for crap. Ask my wife.

Peter[/b]
Nice Scarlatti. I enjoyed listening. yes, there are definitely some tricky bits in that one, and you played them nicely.

Ragnhild[/b]
Wow, excellent. I enjoyed listening to this. Well played and expressive given the limitations of your instrument.

Vincentime[/b]
What do you mean, not very good? You played that quite nicely. You had the courage to play a very familiar piece that everyone knows, and you played it very well.

dannylux (Mel)[/b]
I think it is as difficult to play as it sounds. At least I can't get it anywhere near your standard. You put a great deal of emotion into this piece, and your execution is flawless.

Euclid10540 aka Funky_Fred[/b]
Wow, I want that music! I enjoyed this temendously. Those are two of my favorite Beatles numbers. You played them very well. Thanks.

Sandy Moore[/b]
For some reason I keep getting page not found when I try the link for your piece. I'll try again later. EDIT:[/b] I tried with Internet Exploder and was able to access your piece. For some odd reason the browser I normally use won't load it. Interesting piece which I've never heard before. You seem to have played it flawlessly and with a good deal of expressiveness.

Jon Gray (HouseHead78)[/b]
Nice job. Are you sure about the 11 months, though? I think I've asked you that question before. You don't sound like somebody who has only played 11 months.

craig137[/b]
I'm afraid I can't get to your piece. Maybe I just don't know enough about using myspace?

Ozor Mox[/b]
I've never heard this piece, so I will take your word about the tempo. It sounds pretty challenging, and you played it expressively and with a great deal of emotion.

StephenC[/b]
Good job on Edgewater. Yes, I think you've got it nailed. You played expressively and with emotion. Good job.

DeepElem (Buck)[/b]
Nice. Another song I really like, and you played it fabulously. I admire those who play by ear since it's something I can't do. You got the mood of this one just right. Thanks for the listening pleasure.

Euan Morrison[/b]
Excellent, as always. I feel the emotion in your playing even through the digital sound which I find less emotional than a "real" piano. This was well played and I enjoyed it.

Serge 88[/b]
This is one of my favorite Elton John pieces. There are a lot of my favorites in this recital. This is a very emotional song, and you caught the essence of that feeling in your playing.

Yamaha G-3 & P80, Mike White[/b]
Mike, I know the feeling about playing better with the recorder off, but it may just be my selective memory. Seriously, you played this very nicely. I think it is more challenging to play a very familiar piece like this well, since everyone already has a set of expectations based upon professional performances of the piece. You managed to play it fabulously; no need to turn the recorder off.

Laura D[/b]
A polka, what fun! Nice job. That family concert sure sounds like fun. I envy you that experience.

jazzyprof[/b]
Excellent Liebestraume. Your recording is most enjoyable, and what an appropriate piece for the "love" recital. I truly enjoyed listening. By the way, your C3 sounds quite lovely. I find myself having to rethink my "all Yamahas are too bright" feelings which are based on the smaller Yamahas I have played over the years. I've never played a C3, but now I want to.

Daria[/b]
What flubs? Fabulous interpretation. You really capture the feeling of this piece. I'm shivering from the cold just listening to you. Again, I don't hear the "flubs" that you insist are there. Great job.

TX-Dennis[/b]
Take up the accordion, my boy. You reek.

Nighteyes[/b]
nicely done. I enjoyed all three, although I believe the first is my favorite of the three. They are all quite beautiful and beautifully played, though.

Piano again[/b]
Excellent rendition of a beautiful nocturne. Your playing is flawless, and your piano sounds wonderful. Thoroughly enjoyable. You, too, are challenging my perceptions of a piano brand. Most Estonia recordings I have listened to exhibit a tone that I find rather disagreeable. Yours is very nice.

triryche[/b]
Nice effort. All that theory is laying a great foundation for your musical future. Keep it up.

mahlzeit[/b]
As usual, you have done an excellent job with this piece. What a beautiful piece it is. The name of the piece didn't sound familiar, but once it started playing, I realized that I have heard this many times. I enjoyed it. Thank you.

Peyton[/b]
Yes, you chose the right tempo for this piece. It is sentimental and emotional, and should be played fairly slowly I think. Excellent job, sir. By the way, I have been missing the original songs you used to post in the pianobars. It has been some time since you posted one. I can imagine that you may have some concern about copyright issues, though, since I think they do have commercial potential.

Liszt Addict[/b]
I continue to be impressed by your talent. Another astounding performance, sir. Very dramatic and emotional playing. I like your answers to the questions "Experience" and "Instrument used." They sound like something I might have said.

Mary-Rose[/b]
Your fingers do not sound clumsy to me. You played that quite well. You captured the emotion of the piece quite effectively, I think.

Sarah M[/b]
Astoundingly bad performance! Except for one thing; leave out the word "bad". That was just astounding. You played a very challenging piece, and you played it well. I think you are the only one who finds whatever flaws there are "painful." I may have heard one[/b] wrong note, but it was hardly noticeable. Well done.

Ishmael[/b]
Ten months? Liar! This is not a piece for a beginner of ten months. Seriously, you played it extremely well. Great job! By the way, what jump at the end of the recording? Sounded fabulous to me.

Mary Alice Kropp (IrishMak)[/b]
Nice job. Do you remember the episode of Bonanza with the drifter who was always singing that song? I don't remember much about it except that he turned out to be a "bad guy." I'm off on another tangent. Nice playing, ma'am.

Bluemarine[/b]

Wow, what an emotional piece. You played it beautifully. I want to play this. I am not familiar with Fibich, but I think he had a rather famous son that folks around these parts are always talking about. Thanks for the link to the brief biography.

NancyM333[/b]
That piece may not "be you," but I couldn't tell from how well you swung out on it. I've never heard this one done on solo piano before. Here;s another one I have to try. You guys are costing me a fortune in sheet music today. I loved it.

Debussy20 (AKA: Matt)[/b]
Matt, for a piece you practiced for all of an hour, that was amazing. Great job.

C7 Player Greg Smith[/b]
Very well done Entertainer, sir. I have always enjoyed this piece. I'm glad you resisted the urge to play it too fast that most of us succumb to.

DragonPianoPlayer / Rich Meredith[/b]
I love this song, too. You played it with good expression, but sadly it is marred by having been recorded at too high a level. There is a great deal of clipping on the louder notes. Try to reduce the recording level a bit next time, and it will sound even better.

AQP_87 (Álvaro Quiles Pomares)[/b]
Well done, Alvaro. You played with precision and clarity. This is a challenging piece, and you "nailed" it.

TO ALL[/b]

I have to say I have enjoyed everyone's pieces. Some of you are quite accomplished, and all of you poured your hearts and souls into your efforts. Thank you all, and thanks especially, Bob, for all your hard work in putting everything together.

Hearty Applause to all![/b]

flickr

#1034738 - 02/15/07 05:44 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Norma J Offline

Loc: Canada
Very nice recital. I'm really impressed with the talent on this forum! Congratulations to everyone who participated. Well Done!!

Lisztener - The technician part of me just has to say that your piano sounds lovely! Kudos to your tech.

Norma

#1034739 - 02/15/07 08:12 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
mdp1w Offline

Loc: PA

Since I’m snowed in, I was able to listen to all selections today and offer my impressions!

Kawaigirl1 –- Your playing – especially your fingering is incredible. Your “clean” performance amazed me! Wow!

Lisztener -- I could listen to you play all day – simply beautiful!

Michele (AdagioM) -- You have beautiful touch. What device did you use to record and where did you place your recorder (since I’m still trying to figure that out)?

Seaside_Lee – I LOVE that song – you played it with such true emotion. You’ve got to get that YouTube figured out so I can watch you play!!

Loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen) – What – no Chopin?!? The emotion with which you played Traumerei was “right on” – that of a broken heart.

LuigiV (Luigi) – A perfect and passionate performance from a superb pianist!

Mr Super-Hunky – How are you able to take a beautiful song and kick it up a few notches? ‘Enjoyed it so much I had to listen to it twice!

Monica – ‘Just added another beautiful “Monica melody” to my “Monica folder.” I really love your touch. A perfect and oh so romantic Winston tune played flawlessly! Bravo!

Copper – I sensed your calmness come through – and your piano sounds great! What did you use to record & where did you place the recorder for such clarity?

Joemoshi -- What fun it was to listen to your tango! Your enthusiasm (and SKILL) came right through my speakers!!

Peter -- You played this piece so delicately and evenly. Wonderful performance!!

Ragnhild – Uh, WOW – what a beautiful and tender song! Your playing is incredible. Your piano really has “life!”

Vincentime -- You play beautifully and with such confidence! I envy you!

dannylux (Mel) -- You can really PLAY this waltz – I’m speechless!!

Euclid10540 (Funky_Fred) – Okay… I melted. You can play the Beatles and jazz for me ANY day!!

Sandy Moore -- I could not open your link – I’ll try again tomorrow and edit this post!
EDITED 2/18 - Thanks to Tx-Dennis' for the IE tip!
Sandy, What a beautiful piece! You played it magically with a wonderful even touch!

HouseHead78 (Jon) -- I listened to it twice and find it difficult to believe that you’ve been playing less than one year. Wonderful, Jon!!

craig137 (Craig) – ‘Sounds like you had a lot of fun playing Beethoven!

Ozor Mox -- I’ve never heard this song before plus it sounds very complicated – nice job!

Stephenc – Smooth and mellow playing – I love listening to your rendition of this song!

DeepElem (Buck) – I cannot comprehend how you played this so beautifully without notation. Just perfect!

Euan Morrison – THAT was amazing, Euan – ‘another “add” to my “Euan folder!” You are quite an accomplished pianist!

Serge88 - You played this with the sensitivity with which it was intended to be played!

Mike White - Holy smoke – you really “threw me” with your amazing Chopin!! But I have to admit I am a bit disappointed because I had eagerly anticipated listening to you play JAZZ.

Laura D – I had so much fun listening to your polka!

Jazzyprof – This is the ultimate “love song” – thank you for performing it for this recital – and so tenderly!

mdp1w (Daria) – ‘So glad I hit the “send” button to Bob because we did get a BIG snow!

TX-Dennis (Dennis) – I enjoy listening to you play – it’s fearless!! Well done!!

Nighteyes -- Bravo – these pieces are not easy – and you played them so smoothly!!

Piano again – Simply beautiful! The entire piece flowed with [your] emotion!

Triryche -- Wonderful performance – ‘loved your ending!

Mahlzeit -- Ah… I could listen to you play ALL day – that’s a beautiful song.

Peyton -- You played that so well and with such emotion that I just kept replaying it.

LisztAddict -- You are soooo GOOD. I loved it!!

Mary-Rose – I LOVE Mozart – and enjoyed listening to your well-played rendition! I had expected Chopin from you and you performed my favorite “sad” composer – thank you!

Sarah M – Just incredible! You play like a pro.

Ishmael – I want to hear this song and there is no link!! I’ll try again tomorrow.
EDITED 2/18 - I love "Overcome!" - It was beautiful and mellow -- until I almost fell off my chair towards the end! \:\) I enjoyed it!

IrishMak (Mary Alice) – I like this song too! BTW, You are too funny with your comment; “BTW, I had leftover pasta with roasted pepper and olive sauce for lunch.”

Bluemarine – I LOVE this song and haven’t heard it in years. It is such a moving piece and you played it perfectly – I cried. No kidding. I am your newest fan.

Schubertian – You play beautifully – after only 4 months “back” – I’m impressed!

NancyM333 – I truly expected to hear “classical” from you but you surprised me and came out “swinging!” I loved it, Nancy!!

Debussy20 (Matt) – That was beautiful, Matt. You ROCK!

C7 Player (Greg) – You pulled it off – great performance from cupid himself! J

DragonPianoPlayer (Rich) – Your performance was flawless but I heard a lot of distortion in the recording. Welcome back to the piano!

AQP_87 (Álvaro) – How can you play so well after 1.5 years?!? ‘Beautifully played!!

It was a pleasure listening to EVERYONE’S recital performances – BRAVO!!

Daria

#1034740 - 02/15/07 09:28 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Con't.

DeepElem[/b]Buck, you have to be freakin kiddin' me!. Only 8 mos and you play like that!!!. You almost knocked me to the floor with that incredible opening rolling chord. Advice to Buck, QUIT your day job!!, your going places mister!

Euan Morrison[/b]Super-WOW Euan, you really pulled out all the stops on this one. I think that this is easily and by far your best performance EVER!. Both beautifully played and a difficulty level I had no idea you were capable of. Around half way or so through the piece really took off. I can't say enough how impressed I was by this. You've really been holding back on us have'nt you?. Fantastic job (and I really mean it, not just a generic reply!!).

Serge88[/b]I really like that tune Serge. Its one of the pieces I kept from my compilation books and I play it as well. You did a really fine job with it.

MikeWhite[/b]Two words Mike...."Pianist Corner"!!. To be honest, I would not have expected anything less than perfection from you and once again, I just sat here listening in disbelief. You are not just as good as a pro but possibly even better. (not really sure how thats even possible, but you are!).

LauraD[/b]Thanks for mixing it up for us Laura, that piece was a lot of fun. Oom Pa pa, Oom Pa pa, nicely played as well, kind of reminded me of a German beer garden!.

Jazzyprof[/b]That was absolutely beautiful. Not much else I can add to that as I see it, sounded perfect.

mdp1w[/b]Daria, that was a really nice piece and sounds very similar to the Einaudi music I have been playing lately. I really love this style of music and your performance of it suits you well. I can tell from your recording that you really like this style of music as well because it comes through in your playing.

TX Dennis[/b]Dennis, thanks to you as well for "mixing it up" a bit. You really seem to have a natural knack at these jazzy tunes and your added "flair" here and there adds a real nice touch.

Nighteyes[/b]Wow, that was some very unique music. I must say that I really enjoyed it as it was so different. I really like the "dark" sound as well as the off half notes. Your use of the entire keyboard on the first piece was also impressive. I'd like to hear more of this from you.

Pianoagain[/b]Very nice. Again, I know absolutely nothing about classical music but I do appreciate a nice sounding piece such as this...(A bit over my playing abilities however.).

Tryriche[/b]Your off to a great start, especially if you have some actual theory under your belt. With a solid foundation and understanding on how and why the music is played and how it all comes together, you will be a dangerous weapon in the future. Well done.

mahlzeit[/b]This was definitely one of my favorite pieces in this recital. What a beautiful piece. I am going to put this one on my list of "stolen songs" to learn. Very nice performance as well, us Dutchmen know how to pick 'em huh??

2 B Continued.

#1034741 - 02/15/07 09:52 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
I haphazardly chose a few pieces to listen to tonight when I got a few minutes. The only pattern they follow is that they are pieces or composers I love. I decided to start on page two so I didn't comment only on the first pieces submitted, which is what happened to me last time.

Schubertian--I've seen this piece listed several times by AB members, but I never listened to it. It's gorgeous. What a great job you do with the dynamics on it, and the ritards give it so much tenderness. It's just beautiful. I've now put it on my "in the future" list. I can't believe you've only been back at this for four months.

Sarah--Whoa! That was amazing. I've seen you writing in about working on this piece, but I wasn't sure which one it was. I love how you are able to get the melody out in front of all those complex accompaniment patterns. Did you find this piece came back to you pretty in tact from your teenage years? I still remember large parts of pieces I learned then, even when I can't remember a piece I learned last month. Wonderful job. I'd like to put this piece on my "to do" list, but it would require a hand, and possibly a brain, transplant.

LisztAddict--Another wonderful performance by you. You have such gorgeous trills. Could you come give me a lesson on that? You really get emotion out of your forte sections--they never sound harsh, always just right. I was looking forward to the 30 second piece, but I'm glad I got a chance to hear this Nocturne. It is a new one to me. Lovely ending.

Mary-Rose--This is a very difficult piece to be working on so soon after returning to piano, but you play this so delicately. There are so many facets to it, so it's like several different pieces in one. Thanks for choosing to do it. I always love to hear Mozart.

Peyton--I was very excited to see this piece on the program. I played this a couple of years ago and thought it was so beautiful, but I never got it the performance stage that you have. I'd love to hear your faster and slower versions of it, though I do like the tempo you've chosen. Have you played other Schumann pieces? He's not a composer I've attempted very often. You did a great job with this and have inspired me to go back and try it again.

Piano again--I feel like I'm collecting favorite versions of this Nocturne, and yours is among them. I love the tempo you chose. I never could quite settle on one. I love how you slow the tempo at the end of the main melody as it goes into the next section--it causes great anticipation in the listener. Your middle section, especially where there are triplets in the LH,is wonderful. I love how it builds in intensity until you take that run down with the RH. It was just beautiful. Great work.

Jazzyprof--I couldn't end my listening session without hearing this piece, and I'm so glad I did. Thanks so much for including the poem to it--I'd never seen that before. I'm really intimidated by this piece, but you make it sound...well, not easy, but not totally impossible. Your version is gorgeous! Wow, you sound like you're playing a harp--so precise and tender. Your cadenza is very clean and clear, and your melody stands out so beautifully in every place it reappears. You really play beautifully, and this is such a wonderfully romantic piece for Valentine's Day. I hope playing it for someone special was part of your Valentine's Day celebration. It would be a perfect mood-setter!

Okay, that's all I can listen to now unless I skip my own practice for the day. I hope I'll get to the other submissions in the next few days.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
12/21/14 12:42 PM
Fanny Waterman criticizes British pianists
by bennevis
12/21/14 12:37 PM
Forum Stats
77383 Members
42 Forums
160040 Topics
2350188 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission