Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1034772 - 02/16/07 04:28 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
I'm not going to go through and critique every performance because everyone did great and I throughly enjoyed listening to the diverse performances.

TX-Dennis I can't tell you how much I especially enjoyed your choice of one of my all time favorites classic standards. I am going to certainly work on an arrangement of this piece so over the years maybe I can approach the mood you captured so well, it was special.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1034773 - 02/16/07 05:40 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
My sincerest apologies to Craig DeMetz. (He's Number 18 in the recital list.) Craig had sent me a new URL for his direct website where you could hear his music without being a MySpace subscriber, but it slipped through the cracks. I've now updated the entry. Sorry Craig.

#1034774 - 02/16/07 06:00 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Babs_ Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
Litzner[/b] I was so touched by your story about overcoming shyness. I was fine as a child during piano recitals , it was when I became a young woman I too was frightened by recitals, ask my friends and they will tell you that I was a bitch to be around 2 weeks before a recital. \:o I hope I have the courage and the know how one day to post a recording it would certainly be easier than a live recital for me, anyway. And Lizner once again, seriously I have listened to your piece by Listz at least 25 times today, I just love your touch on that wonderful sounding Steinway of yours!

#1034775 - 02/16/07 06:46 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Bravo and a standing ovation to all! I hope to listen to all the pieces this weekend and post comments.

Meanwhile a big thank you to everyone who's commented on my piece. This is my first online recital and it sure feels good to get feedback!

Nancy:
 Quote:
You really play beautifully, and this is such a wonderfully romantic piece for Valentine's Day. I hope playing it for someone special was part of your Valentine's Day celebration. It would be a perfect mood-setter!
Unfortunately, I was so busy learning and practicing the piece I neglected to find a date to play it for. \:\) And speaking of mood-setting I thoroughly enjoyed your "In the Mood"...it had my toe tapping!

#1034776 - 02/16/07 09:27 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I wanted to make sure I gave feedback to everybody who was a first-time recipient of the Order of the Red Dot. Hope I caught you all, but if I didn't, let me know!

Lisztener[/b]: After hearing your piece, I will have to add Liszt to my list of favorite classical composers! I thought you did a great job, especially of making the high treble passages seem light and delicate. And I loved the ending!

Joemoshi[/b]: What a fun piece that tango was! I bet it was as much fun to play as to listen to. All I needed was a margarita and a rose between my teeth. \:D You did a great job of putting energy in your playing.

vincentime[/b]: I know exactly what you meant by "I had to stop taking additional takes sometime." I didn't hear any mistakes myself, by the way. Wonderful job for a first recital!

Euclid10540[/b]: I love the Beatles, and "Here, there, and everywhere" is one of my favorite Beatles ballads. I liked the juxtaposition of that hopeful song paired with the doomed despair of "Yesterday." \:\)

Househead78[/b]: I'm always glad to hear a new age piece. \:\) And every time I hear this particular piece I want to learn to play it myself. You played this with a very nice wistful, lilting touch.

Craig137[/b]: I initially found myself at and listened to your "Fool to Hurt You," which even a non-classical novice like myself could figure out was not a Beethoven Rondo. :p But then I got the right link. I enjoyed it very much, especially the slower part that began around 1:58. But I liked "Fool to Hurt You," too. ;\) There was some nice piano work on it.

Ozor Mox[/b]: Michael Nyman is a terrific composer. That piece sounded VERY hard to play with all those fast runs in the right hand. I thought you played it with wonderful expression.

DeepElem[/b]: I swear, all you play-by-ear Piano Magicians just blow me away. What a wonderfully smooth and totally listenable ballad. I thought you made excellent use of dynamics in this piece.

#1034777 - 02/16/07 09:28 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Monica K. Offline

Part 2-- PW wouldn't let me use more than 8 bolds in one post.

Jazzyprof[/b]: After hearing your piece, I am DEFINITELY moving Liszt up to the top of my favorite piano composers. That Leibestraume was extremely impressive, and when you started going up and down the keyboard... wow! I also appreciated the history of the piece and the poem... although I gotta say Liszt's music is much more impressive to me than Freiligrath's poetry! \:D

mdp1w[/b]: We can't have a recital without David Nevue! Thank you for playing it. I love this piece; it's very distinctive in style, and you do a great job of capturing its delicacy and poignance.

triryche[/b]: I thought you did a great job for having played only 9 months, especially if you've been concentrating on theory and not technique. I really liked your run at the end of the piece and the rolled chord... it's almost seemed like you knew you had vanquished the Red Dot and could end with a flourish. \:D

MaryRose[/b]: I was impressed by your nice even tempo. It sounds to me like you've gained back all your early piano skills and more. And a 7:42 piece for your first Order of the Red Dot?! Congratulations!

Sarah M[/b]: Okay, Sarah, this is the Adult BEGINNER'S forum, not the Adult Almost Ready to Be a Concert Pianist forum. \:D Seriously, your playing of the Fantasie Impromptu impressed me greatly. I don't think my fingers can move even half that fast.

Ishmael[/b]: Thank you for playing my all time favorite David Nevue piece, although I will admit to jealousy that you can play those left-hand E-flat runs smoother than I can and you've only been playing 10 months!

Schubertian[/b]: I'm impressed at how well you can play for having been back only 4 months. Very nice dynamics on the piece, too.

Debussy20[/b]: Did you really have to tell us you had only played that piece an hour before hitting the red dot? Couldn't you have been merciful on us old farts and told us you had been working on it for months instead? [goes off and cries] \:D Seriously, I am impressed as ever with your piano chops. You played this with a wonderfully delicate and sweet air.

#1034778 - 02/16/07 09:29 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Monica K. Offline

Part 3:

C7 player[/b]: I am so glad you made it to the recital! And even more delighted to hear the quintessential piano rag! Very nice work. And the recording quality sounded great, too, btw.

DragonPianoPlayer[/b]: I think "Don't cry for me Argentina" is one of Webber's loveliest songs, and I thought you played it well with expression.

All of you: A big standing ovation, and thank you for joing the recital. I hope you found it a gratifying experience, and I want to see all of you back for Recital VI.

#1034779 - 02/16/07 11:11 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Thanks to all who took the time to provide me with comments and feedbacks. Just replying to some questions that were asked.

Monica[/b] : What a fantastic rendition of Longing Love. If I compared this piece to Glass's Metamorphosis, I would have to say your piece was much more difficult. So, if you can play Winston's piece, you can most definitely play the Glass piece with no problems.

ShiroKuro[/b]: I did not have this piece memorized. The slow part of the piece is not difficult; however, playing the fast part is where i started to I kept fumbling on the fast part, so I did about 15 takes and even then it's not without errors.. \:\(

PianoAgain[/b]: Glass wrote Metamorphosis in 1988.

I have just started listening to the recital pieces, so I will be making individual comments this weekend.

flickr

#1034780 - 02/17/07 02:31 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lisztener:[/b] It's beautiful playing like your that's making me want to learn more classical pieces. You had played it with such tenderness. Bravo!

AdagioM:[/b] I'm not very familiar with Aaron Copeland's work. This music is different from what I'm use to listening to, but I like what I heard. \:\)

Seaside:[/b]

flickr

#1034781 - 02/17/07 02:31 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

loveschopintoomuch:[/b] You had great control on the piece, it was not hurried and played it at just the right tempo. Very enjoyable.

LuigiV:[/b] What a spectacular performance. Just lovely to listen to.

Super-Hunky:[/b] At last my wait is over to listen to you play Nefeli. Loved the Prelude to the piece as well as the slight variations that you played throughout the piece. I thought the improvisation blended quite nicely Now I like to hear this piece on your M&H ;\)

Monica Kern:[/b] Just one word Monica... WOW! :3hearts:
[Standing ovation]

flickr

#1034782 - 02/17/07 02:32 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Copper:[/b] This is one of my favorite Beethoven pieces. I like the fact that you did not hurried the piece. Very nicely played. \:\)

joemoshi:[/b] What a delightful piece. I really enjoyed listening to this. I bet the Tango rhythm is difficult to play.

Peter:[/b] I have not heard many of Scarlatti's music, but after listening to you play, I'm going to search for some more of his music.

Ragnhild:[/b] You had played this piece very expressively. Very enjoyable.

Vincentime:[/b] I remember this piece all too well \:\) You played it very well.

flickr

#1034783 - 02/17/07 02:33 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

dannylux (Mel):[/b] \:\)

Euclid10540:[/b] Oh man...another Seaside....

flickr

#1034784 - 02/17/07 02:33 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

DeepElem (Buck):[/b] What a lovely rendition and you had played this by ear? Wow!

Laura D:[/b] This sounds like a fun piece to play. You had played it well.

Jazzyprof:[/b] Everything was just perfect! This is my favorite Liszt piece.

flickr

#1034785 - 02/17/07 02:34 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

mdp1w (Daria):[/b] From one Nevue fan to another. That was remarkable playing! I've forgotten how beautiful this piece was.

TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner):[/b] I liked that bit of a jazz feel to the piece. \:\)

Nighteyes:[/b] What an interesting sounding piece. I've not heard of the composer before, but I enjoyed the first minuet the most.

Piano again:[/b] Very nicely played. Certainly not an easy piece to learn. Well done.

Triryche:[/b] You held your tempo quite well and even throughout the piece. Keep up the good work \:\)

mahlzeit:[/b] You brought out the melody so well. I loved it!

Peyton:[/b] That was fantastic playing! Tempo was just right and the melody was brought out.

flickr

#1034786 - 02/17/07 02:35 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

LisztAddict:[/b] You amaze me with your level of playing. You, Mel and Mike white are in a class by itself. Awesome!! Hope you're drinking lots of chicken soup \:D

Mary-Rose:[/b] You had played this piece with a nice delicate touch. Well done.

Sarah M:[/b] :3hearts: Are you sure you're not a concert pianist? [Standing ovation] That was an outstanding performance.

Ishmael:[/b] I know you didn't want feedback, but I just had to tell you that your performance was very enjoyable. \:\)

IrishMak:[/b] I haven't heard this song in ages!

Bluemarine:[/b] I'm not familiar with this composer but I enjoyed the majestic sound of the piece. Very nice.

Schubertian:[/b] Another fantastic chopin piece. Great work with the trills. Impressive performance indeed!

NancyM333:[/b] So this is the name of this delightful piece \:\) I often hear the piece but never knew the title. Sounded like you ahd fun playing it. Well done!

Debussy20:[/b] Oh my, given the fact you learned this an hour ago before recording, that was very good.

C7 Player Greg Smith:[/b] My favorite ragtime piece. Just delightful to listen to. \:\)

DragonPianoPlayer:[/b] You played the piece well.

AQP_87:[/b] Another remarkable performance. ;\)

You all deserve a great round of applause!!

flickr

#1034787 - 02/17/07 03:54 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
RonP Offline

Loc: Sioux Falls, SD
I listen through these. Being a beginner and not even contributed to the recital yet. I really don't think I'm in the position to comment.
But I just have to comment on one.EDIT!...That's not fair. I have to add more and will edit to add more.

Mr.SH...You sure can play. I enjoyed it.

Lisztener...Yes, I could hear the red dot syndrome. Simple solution. Never touch that piano without the recorder on. Otherwise, I'd love to hear it without that lack of confidence. I can tell you play well.

Seaside_Lee....It's better than the version downloaded from Yamaha's site and played by my computer. Definitely your "I'll be seeing you." It's beautiful.

Luigi...Couldn't get the site download.

Kathleen...Can tell you're just working on the polishing. I liked it.

Copper...You failed. Too much of this is too good for a beginner. You obviously have music in your heart and mind. This piece belongs below. But that is also saved for saying nothing else. Just because something is simple to get through. It doesn't mean it's easy to make into music.

joemoshi...That was fun.

Peter...I think I just gotta hear that live. I heard you know what you're doing.

Mike White...Almost perfected. Can tell some of the harder parts are already. Really liked it.

Triryche...I want to personally thank you. It takes courage to contribute to the recital along with some of the stuff that is being played. I can see you're learning. You're doing well. I can tell especially at the end. You have understanding of music. You already know how to play music instead of just banging on keys. Just keep going at it. I'd love to keep hearing your progression. Don't get discouraged by seeing people like Ishmael at 10 months on piano, playing like he does. His link is to UC Berkley. Highly likely this isn't his only music experience.

My apologies for not getting to everyone yet. I keep getting side tracked listening to those below, over and over. Doh! I'll try to get to the others when I have time.

This section is for the type of piano music I love. Where you savor each note like each bite of fine French cooking. And they were done well.
Thank you Ishmael. I enjoyed it.
Thank you Kawaigirl. I enjoyed it.
Thank you Monica Kern. I enjoyed it.
Thank you DeepElem. I enjoyed it.
Thank you mahlzeit. I enjoyed it.

#1034788 - 02/17/07 07:07 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Boy, what a terrific recital!

Congradulations to everyone.

Here are my comments on the first half:

01) Kawaigirl1: It's always wonderful to hear you play. I was starting to get hypnotized by this piece, and then those loud right hand triplet arpeggios started. Just in time. Your piano sounds beautiful, and you don't even need a Zoom.

02) Lisztener: What a gorgeous sounding Steinway! You play the Liszt Consolation absolutely beautifully. That you can play so well after being back for 6 months is amazing. The challenge of this piece is to play it with feeling, and at the same time, get all the notes in, both of which you do with such care and gentleness. This is one of Liszt's many wonderful pieces, right up there with Un Sospiro. Oh, and I agree, recording yourself is an incredible learning aid.

03) AdagioM: Very nice, expressive playing, and with such a smooth touch! I bet those harmonies are hard to memorize. Very well done.

04) Seaside_Lee: Admission-I don't listen to anything except Classical music, but when I listened to this piece, I found it incredibly charming and beautiful, the piece itself and your playing. That this piece is coming from your own head and heart truly amazes me. What wonderful, expressive playing! There are only a handful of popular pieces I'd like to play, and this is one of them.

05) Kathleen: You put such wonderful feeling into your playing, it's a delight to hear. But I've told you that before. Being back for only a year makes your performance even more amazing. I don't get to decide, but my vote is for the very best piano you can find, since it is such a great love for you. About 6 feet or so would be great. (I really think 7 feet, but I don't want to push it.)

06) LuigiV: More Kinderszenen and more beautiful, expressive playing. These are obviously pieces for adults, not for children to play. That Clavinola sounds very good, but I'd love to hear your 7'6" piano!

07) Mr Super-Hunky: I guess it's ABF sacrilege to admit, but I don't know this piece. You certainly do a beautiful job with such smooth, gentle, and even playing.

08) Monica Kern: More music I don't know, but very pretty and soothing. Boy, you certainly play with passion. And 9.5 minutes without a mistake! Dayam!

09) Copper: Fact-Fur Elise is a masterpiece. With only 2 years, it takes courage and skill to play this. And you play it very well. I completely enjoyed your performance.

10) joemoshi: Ah, wonderful to hear you play a tango. Classical is my thing, but I do love Latin-American music. You play this great piece very well. I can't tell you how to highlight the tango rhythm, because I have the same problem with my sambas. I just don't feel the rhythm in my bones, as they say. So I have to count. My Brazilian online friend pointed out that in my recording of Tico-Tico, I played most of it at 7/16 timing, rather than 2/4. Oh well, back to counting.

11) Peter: I couldn't get your file to play. I'll try again and post later.

12) Ragnhild: Very fine playing of this beautiful transcription. Busoni was so well known for his Bach transcriptions, some people actually thought his name was Mr. Bach-Busoni.

13) Vincentime: You play with a lot of enthusiasm and joy. Very good job; actually, exceptional, for someone so new.

14) Mel: Sounds like me. Yep, it is. I'd do you.

15) Euclid10540: Very nice soothing and gentle playing of wonderful Beatles music. Great job!

16) Sandy Moore: I get a "Server Not Found" error. I'll try later.

17) HouseHead78: Wow, you play with a lot of feeling. That's so important. You did a great job.

18) craig137: This is a difficult piece for only 2 years, and you play it beautifully, with a lot of energy and joy. Definitely my kind of music. Nice flourish at the end!

19) Ozor Mox: You play with confidence and feeling. Very well done. The second half sounds treacherous to play, with all those fast notes.

20) Stephenc: You are certainly one of the most expressive pianists on the forum and one of my very favorites. It sounds like the feelings you put into your playing come from deep within your spirit. Such a joy to hear.

21) DeepElem: For 8 months, that's just extrordinary playing! Expressive and confident. Nope, nothing wrong with this recording; I can't imagine it any better.

22) Euan Morrison: You really play with a lot of passion as well as accuracy. Just wonderful to listen to you.

23) Serge88: You sound very confident at the keyboard. Very nice playing.

24) Yamaha G-3 & P80: The always wonderful to listen to Mike White playing Chopin's Minute Watlz. What a delightful, elegant performance. A total joy to listen to. And a perfect D flat scale run at the end!

I'll post the second half later.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1034789 - 02/17/07 09:25 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Babs_ Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
Here's some more that I have listened to:

Sandy[/b] sorry couldnt open file
Mike W[/b] Incredible Beautful job with Chopin waltz excellent hand control you have talent!!!!
Peter[/b] Scalarti not familar with the piece or composer and I think its time for me to start learning more. Your playing was gorgeous, what a lovely piece! I am not familar with this piece. I find your piece Metamorphosis to be just incredibly beautiful and so unique and your playing is outstanding as usual. I wish you lived next door to me so I could come over and borrow a cup of sugar!
Kathleen[/b] Tramumeri Beautiful job!! I enjoyed reading about the history behind it. That's what I like about you, you are always so full of interesting information, I learn so much from you ! I have always liked this song and it sounds so incredibly romantic on your piano!
Euclid[/b] Lovely Anything by the Beatles always sounds good to me. I am a die-hard Beatles fan!
Dannylux[/b] That was a difficult piece to play and you played it brilliantly , you have great hands! \:\)
Joshmoshi[/b] Loved it! Any tango to me always sounds good to me!

That's it for now I'll listen to more later.......... Babs

#1034790 - 02/17/07 09:26 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
CozyWriter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
joemoshi-

Beautiful work! Adios Muchachos is probably my 2nd-favorite to play after Libertango which I did on cello (and am having teh devil's own time trying to find a piano transcription.

For your question on the tango rhythm, the one thing that I heard was that your left hand was "lingering" over the keys, smoothing them out some, which takes the bounce out of the bass rhythm. Even though Tango is a "gliding" dance, some of the music "hops."

The accents on the first note of the measure (left hand) were spot-on correct.

Try playing it without pedal, and don't let the left hand "linger" over the keys. Hop from one phrase to the next with no hold-over. (The accordian gets to linger, the piano has to jump, in Tango.)

Beautiful work! And thanks for not playing Hernando's Hideaway ;\)

#1034791 - 02/17/07 10:01 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
First, sorry for those who could not open my link. I'll have to use box.net next time. Geesh I PAY for that site..grrrrr.

Wow 45 submissions! I'm finally through them and once again am awed, inspired, occasionally discouraged (i.e., gosh I could NEVER play that). I'm looking forward to downloading them all to my MP3 player to listen to again. Thanks everyone for contributing. Especially thanks to Bob for all his work on this. BTW Bob, I hope managing this wasn't the reason for no submission from you! Or did I miss one..

Kawaigirl1 - This was very interesting. It must have been hard to keep the momentum going for over 8 minutes! How long did it take you to learn? ... I think you have amazing control to play what seems to be a very demanding piece of music.

Lisztener - This is one of my goal pieces. You played it with such a gentle touch. Beautiful.

Michele - Very nice. Gosh there's so much music out there. These recitals get me wanting to add to the scores of music that I already have and will most likely never play.

Seaside_Lee - This was wonderful. I'll bet your dad never tires of hearing you play. I listened to it a few times myself. Every time I listen to some who's learned through PianoMagic I'm awed. I really enjoyed it. You make it sound so easy!!

Kathleen - I loved this. It sounded very professional to me. I've heard this many times by different artists and you played it wonderfully.

Luigi - You have a wonderful soft touch. You must really love playing this as it has so much feeling. Great job!

Mr. Super Hunky - Every time I hear you play it sounds better! You could play in piano bars easily! You have natural talent for sure. I don't think I"ll ever be able to play this smoothly or with such confidence.

Monica - I think you don't need to worry about being up to technical challenges! Awesome! over 9 minutes!! and all of it sounded great!

Copper - I don't know why Fur Elise is called a beginner piece or why it's said to be "overplayed". That middle piece certainly isn't beginner. You are doing amazing for two years. I never did learn the hard part. I'm quite sure it would still be difficult to learn. Good job!

Joemoshi - I'm certainly no one to give technical advice. This sounded wonderful to me. Have you tried playing sections hands separately or just the melody notes, then add the rest. From someone who has never played tango.. It helps me for classical pieces that I have trouble with.

Peter - This was wonderful. I've never played any Scarlatti. Have you played others? I really enjoyed this piece. I can hear what seem to be 'tricky' parts but you seem well in control.

Ragnchild - Very nice! You play with a lot of control and emotion. I found this piece very moving.

Vincentime - This is really good! It sounds like you are having a lot of fun playing it. I would try slowing it down just a little. This is something I'm trying to learn myself. I have a hard time allowing that 'musical space.' My teacher is always saying "the listener needs time to process ........etc. Great performance.

dannylux - Wow! You certainly didn't forget much in 15 yeqrs. That was amazing! I find it hard to believe that it isn't as hard as it sounds!

Funky Fred - Wonderful and relaxing for my Friday night...I've played it a few times already.

Jon Gray - I enjoyed this. You did a wonderful job with the dynamics. I didn't find it plodding at all! It's great that you are comfortable to add your own interpretation. I'm not familiar with this but it sounded great to me! Another relaxing piece for the evening. Thanks!

Craig - This sounded like a difficult piece to read. You are obviously catching on to this classical reading very well. Addictive isn't it. I'm still envious of the play by ear folks though.

Ozor Mox - Nice. I was imagining the love triangle and the complexity and emotions.

Stephenc - I loved this. I've never played Jim Brickman but I think I'm becoming a fan. I haven't heard a piece that wasn't wonderful. Is it difficult to play? You played it with a lot of emotion. Great job!

DeepElm - Wouldn't open. Will try again later.

Euan Morrison - Wow! Are you sure you've only been playing for 15 months? Did you play another instrument before? You have a lot of control! It sounds quite advanced for such a short time playing - well done!

Serge88 - This was great! and you improvised the intro. Do you play by ear as well?

Mike White - Wow! Awesome! So do you think reading is easier when you've been playing by ear? I can't play by ear and come to think of it my reading isn't great either! I thought you did a wonderful job on this!

LauraD - I imagine you had a good time doing this! It's great that you have children in your house to play duets or trios with! It's great practice in timing to play with others. I don't have an opportunity to do that and imagined as I listened to this piece the fun it must be.

Jazzyprof - This sounded very professional! Wonderful job! Your teacher must love teaching you to be playing at this level this after 3 years of lessons!

Daria - I'm sure glad you took this off your "someday" pile. It was wonderful!!! Loved it!!

Dennis - Jazzy! Really nice. I'm listening with a cup of coffee. I'll have to play it again this evening with a glass of wine! I was picturing this being played at a bar or restaurant with people chatting and me sitting there tuning everything out but the piano.....

Nighteyes - These minuets were delightful! They had a lot of variety and sound very challenging to play. I don't know these but I didn't notice any mistakes. Don't you hate it when you get more than 2/3 the way through a recording and all of a sudden you are distracted by thinking...ok...almost there! Most often no one will hear. I thought you did a great job.

Piano again - I love Chopin! Thanks for playing it. I thought this was awesome. You have a nice touch and played it with a lot of emotion. I'm glad you started playing again!

Triyche - Good job!! For only nine months you sound like you've really good control. Thanks for posting!

mahlzei - Lovely!! Soft and flowing. I've never tried to transpose a piece. You played this with a lot of feeling. Beautiful pieces even when simple are often difficult to play musically. You did wonderful.

Peyton - Wonderful as usual. I'd never heard of this piece before. It has a lot of feeling and you brought it out beautifully. Although I haven't heard it before, I imagine this slower choice is best! Loved it!

Liszt?????Addict - I'm thinking maybe you should be kicked off the ABF..Just kidding! Glad you are here!! Wow! 've listened to this many times on my 'Pianist' CD. You did an amazing job! Awesome! You should post this in the Pianist forum too!!

Mary-Rose - I'm in a 'Mozart' phase right now so I really enjoyed listening to this and reading about it. It is reflective and you played it with a lot of feeling and control. Glad you found your way back to the piano!!

Sarah M. Another Wow! Amazing!!! When I read the title of your piece I thought .....that's ambitious!! After listening I'm totally awed...you sound like you've been playing your whole life! This is leagues ahead of anything I'll ever hope to play!

Ihsmael - Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed listening!

IrishMak - This was a nice change from all the classical pieces. Thanks for chosing a spiritual piece. Do you sing when you play? If you do, maybe you could send along a recording of you doing both!

Bluemarine - You only did one take? Great job! I can hear such control. Your dynamics are great! This was wonderfully played. You must love playing it!

Schutertian - Another Chopin! Well played!! I'm inspired by all these Chopin players! I'm a little hesitant to try his music yet (other than a few of the very easiest ones). I know they are diffult to play but you made this one sound easy!

NancyM - Nice! My feet were tapping! It sounds very hard to play. Thank you for choosing this. You were right, an upbeat piece was so much fun to listen to!

Debussy20 - One hour! You've got talent! I'm looking forward to hearing your Rachmaninoff piece!! This was very well played and pretty much sightread!

C7 Player - From memory! This was very good! The quality of the recording sounded fine to me.

Rich Meredith - I enjoyed this! It was a little loud/static on my player but you did a nice job.

AQP_87 - 1 year and 4 months!! That is amazing. Please tell my you've been playing other instruments for many years!! Wow!

#1034792 - 02/17/07 10:13 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Thank you to all the participants for another terrific recital.

We have lots of good words about the recital, it's time for some statistics and a map.

Here are some statistics for Recital #5
(and the numbers from #4 are in parenthesis)

Number of Players: 45 (40)
Males: 21 (20)
Female: 12 (11)
Gender Unknown: 12 (9)
Oldest: 67 (60)
Youngest: 14 (19)
Average Age: 43.4 (41.5)
Unknown ages: 21 (14)
Total experience: 259.4 years (229.9)
Average experience: 5.8 years (5.7)
Number of Digital instruments: 21 (24)
Number of Acoustical instruments: 23 (16)
Most popular digital brand: Yamaha 12 (10)
Most popular acoustical brand: Yamaha 4 (3)
Shortest: 1 minute 03 seconds (0:43)
Longest: 9 minutes 25 seconds (6:11)
Total Length: 2 hours 30 minutes 42 seconds (2:06:29)
Average Length: 3 minutes 21 seconds (3:10)

With the growing number of participants the detective staff has been very busy. Some of these numbers are based on guesses but they are probably fairly close.

There are only 4 “unknown” locations – as always they go to to Hawaii.

#1034793 - 02/17/07 10:40 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:
First, sorry for those who could not open my link. I'll have to use box.net next time. Geesh I PAY for that sight..grrrrr.

[/b]
Sandy, I think it has something to do with the capitalization in your file names. From what I can tell Gecko based browsers such as Firefox, Seamonkey, Mozilla, etc. don't like the capitalization. I was able to open it with Internet Exploder . . . er . . .Explorer when I tried. I would wager that all of us who couldn't open the file were using Gecko based browsers. Perhaps next time you could name the file in all lower case and see if that helps.

flickr

#1034794 - 02/17/07 10:41 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:
IrishMak - This was a nice change from all the classical pieces. Thanks for chosing a spiritual piece. Do you sing when you play? If you do, maybe you could send along a recording of you doing both![/b]
If the piece has words, I sing in my head. But you wouldn't want to hear it! LOL

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1034795 - 02/17/07 11:42 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
joemoshi Offline

Thank you Mel and Cozywriter for your suggestions. Recently I started playing the left hand with stacatto and the rythm is coming out better.

I also would like to thank all those that made comments on my playing. Thank you Piano again for your comments:

Quote:
perhaps stretch the dotted rhythms more so it swings a little. It sounds rather square, and that might be why
I did not quite understand your suggestion, could you please elaborate. Thank you.

To experiment I played another tango "El Choclo" an accordian with the right hand and double base with the left. It was different:

http://www.box.net/public/mm1cf4s3ef

Thanks again to all.

#1034796 - 02/17/07 12:01 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
 Quote:
Originally posted by joemoshi:
Thank you Piano again for your comments:

Quote:
perhaps stretch the dotted rhythms more so it swings a little. It sounds rather square, and that might be why
I did not quite understand your suggestion, could you please elaborate. Thank you.[/b]
I was thinking maybe the rhythms were a little too exact for the tango style. By "stretch," I meant make the dotted note a little longer and the short note a little shorter and later. I've not played anything like this myself, at least on the piano, so I don't know if it will work. It's a subtle difference, but it might be worth experimenting with.

In your accordian recording (is this a real or "virtual" accordian?), I think some of the rhythms were off, such that there aren't the right number of beats in some of the measures.

Check out my blog !

#1034797 - 02/17/07 01:07 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
joemoshi Offline

Thank you Piano again. I played the accordian on my Yamaha CVP-307 keyboard which offers hundreds of voices including grand piano. I will try to improve the rythm.

#1034798 - 02/17/07 03:05 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I haven't had a chance to listen to the recital pieces, but I hope to do so, tomorrow.

However, I did want to thank all of you for your wonderfully kind and generous words of praise and encouragement.

One of the best things I've done is discover this forum and all of you. :3hearts:

Kathleen

#1034799 - 02/17/07 03:21 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
debrina Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
I have only listened to a few and don't really have time to comment at the moment but wanted to say I was completely impressed w/ Mr. Super Hunky's recital submission! Nice work!!

#1034800 - 02/17/07 04:58 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Hi yall - finally I am up from the bed. Nose is still running a little bit but no more bleeding. Throat is almost clear. Head is not spinning. Ears are not popping/booming as bad as they were 4-5 days ago. I think I'll start putting in some practice minutes tomorrow \:D

Now I go listen to your recital pieces. \:\) the Pianist Corner is a pretty.....uhhh..... ruff place.

#1034801 - 02/17/07 05:36 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

LisztAddict,

I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better. Sounds as though you had a rough time with the flu.

The recital pieces will help lift your spirts, too. \:\)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
0 seconds ago
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
Yesterday at 09:04 PM
Returning to piano, advice on slow learning process
by roninpro
Yesterday at 07:57 PM
Anton Kuerti and Cyprien Katsaris
by pianoloverus
Yesterday at 07:09 PM
Who's Online
114 registered (andriy555, AB99, Aljon, 3times2, 39 invisible), 1183 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157594 Topics
2314833 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission