Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1034832 - 02/19/07 06:21 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
And now for the conclusion:

Peyton[/b] You did a fantastic job with this piece. Your emotion and articulation come shining through. I especially liked the proper use of your pedaling. This almost seems to be a lost art which you have obviously not forgotten. Great job.

LisztAddict[/b] What a beautiful piece and a fine job performing it. I must say that this piece especially came alive for me just after the mid way point. Very dramatic and expressive chords at that point. I Loved it.

Mary-Rose[/b] This was a very delicate and moving piece to hear. I can sense the composers true meaning in this piece as you perform it. A pleasure to listen to.

Sarah M[/b] This was one of just a few performances that absolutely blew me away. BRAVO....or is it BRAVA?, not sure, anyway, that was a truly incredible performance. I've heard that once you learn to ride a bike, you will know how to ride forever. I think it is obvious that this applies to playing the piano as well. I was SO impressed with your playing!! Great job.

Ishmael[/b] You did'nt want "feedback" so I'm just writing my personal opinion instead. For only playing 10 mos, you are obviosly a natural talent. This piece came across sounding very proffesional and your timing was very good. I really hope you stick with piano as I think you have a true gift!

Mary Alice Kropp (IrishMak)[/b] What can I say to you Mak, your a triple threat!. A culinary expert, a connoisseur of fine wines and whiskey and a musical performer as well as hard core rocker!. You have not only done it all, you can do it all!.

Bluemarine[/b] Very nice and expressive piece. I love the deep sound that comes through in the bass (yes, I know it's a digital!). Someday, I would like to give this genre a try as it sounds so nice.

Schubertian[/b] What a soft and warm sound that comes through in your performance. Your playing is superb and the tone of your piano is just great. I almost purchased an Estonia 190 but lack of any dealer in my state prevented that. They have a special warm unique sound that I love.

NancyM333[/b] Nancy, you did a great job with this piece and I found myself toe-tapping along with it the entire time. I would very much like to hear something from you that represents...you!. As much as I liked this this piece from you, I am looking forward to the next recital to hear something that truly comes from you.

Debussy20[/b] Hi there young Matt. I just love how you can not only learn, but perform and record a piece in just an hour!. I've got to wonder what you are really capable of should you give a challenging piece a month or two!!. I really enjoyed this piece but I would also like to hear something that took you a while to learn and perform. I bet we will all be pleasantly surprised!

C7 Player[/b] Greg, for a last minute effort, you did an admirable job with this piece. I once attempted this tune found in an easy piano compilation book and failed miserably with it. I know that this piece is MUCH more difficult than it sounds and I'm sure that many people can attest to this. Thanks for participating in our recital and way to pull off keeping your wife happy while still sneaking in a last minute submission!. You somehow managed to pull them both off!

DragonPianoPlayer[/b] This is one of my favorite songs which you made a wonderful piano performance out of. Nice work.

AQP_87[/b] Alvaro. You perform like a seasoned professional. This was absolutely "concert quality" and for only 1 1/2 years, that is an incredible feat. I can only imagine how much you must practice to get that good so quickly. Bravo Alvaro.

Thanks again to everyone involved with this recital from those who made it happen to all of the participants who performed. This is certainly a very unique group of people we have here!.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1034833 - 02/19/07 08:38 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
joemoshi Offline

Loc: Canada
It took some time but finally I listened to all the submissions. Almost all were very very well played and this despite the red button syndrome. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to all and would like to thank all for sharing. Unfortunately I do not feel qualified to make constructive comments nor do I have the verbal ability to express myself.

Congratulations to all.

#1034834 - 02/19/07 08:51 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Schubertian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX, US
Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to comment on my Nocturne - i'm looking forward to the Recital #6

#1034835 - 02/20/07 05:28 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
There are obviously big differences in difficulty and playing level between all of these submissions, but I have to say that I am really proud of the participants who haven't been playing for very long -- the true beginners -- who have mustered up the courage to submit their pieces, even though some may think they sound amateurish compared the submissions from the more experienced players here.

Well, I don't think they are amateurish at all, and anyone who submitted a piece -- no matter how good you are -- is a winner for me. (And all must have prizes! \:D )

It really takes a lot of guts to show your playing to the world, especially if you only just started, and you are already infinitely better at it than people who wish they could play the piano but don't. Keep up the good work and I am confident that you'll become the players that you have always dreamed of becoming!

Thank you all very much for participating in this great event, *especially* the true beginners! \:\)

#1034836 - 02/20/07 06:39 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Warmest thanks to all who gave feedback on my attempt. I have taken what you said to heart - particularly Ragnhild and Piano Again.

Copper - I really enjoyed your stats, but who are represented by those red dots in the middle of the Pacific? Thank you Copper!

#1034837 - 02/20/07 09:11 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Thanks to everyone for all of the kind words. These recitals force me to get a piece to the "polished state" whereas I would normally just play them "half-fast" for my own enjoyment.
Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1034838 - 02/21/07 12:07 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

The following is a list of those who posted comments on my recital entry.

My heartfelt thanks to each one of you:

funburger, Seaside_Lee, mr_super-hunky, Euan Morrison,
TX-Dennis, Norma J, mdp1w, Sarah M, AdagioM, ShiroKuro, Babs1, DeepElem, IrishMak, funburger, Monica Kern, kawaigirl1, dannylux, Sandy Moore, Peyton, NancyM333, loveschopintoomuch, maryrose, Piano again, Ozor Mox, Serge88, shimmer and one who wishes to remain anonymous.[/b]

This being my first recital, I had no inkling of the emotional impact your comments would have on me.

If I missed your comment, I beg your pardon.

#1034839 - 02/21/07 12:23 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Finally I have all the files and listened to them all. I was quite surprise how much progress some of you made since I heard your recordings from recital 1 & 2. I was even more surprise that a number of you (some first timers too) even played longer and more advance pieces than mine.

And Ragnhild, because of you, I had to go to sheetmusicarchive.net and download that Bach-Busoni Ich ruf zu dir, Herr (Jesu Christ). I played this on the organ many years ago. Now I know there is a piano transcription for it.

#1034840 - 02/21/07 06:21 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
LisztAddict - if you want to hear how the Choral "Ich ruf' zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ" should be played it is on Leif Ove Andsnes "Horizons" cd.

I do one major mistake playing the grace note in a "romantic" in stead of baroque way (I did not listen until I had recorded it) - I kept it like that because I wanted to post my "personal" prayer. (I did hope someone would bother to comment the mistake, though, why didn't you, LisztAddict ? ;\) )

Thankyou to all who took their time listening to my playing. I have listened to all of you, my English vocabular is not big enough to make separate comments on every piece - but I enjoyed all of it.

I still think it is a great loss that you did not become a church-organist, LisztAddict !

Ragnhild

#1034841 - 02/21/07 09:49 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Ozor Mox Offline

Loc: Hampshire, England
Part 1 of 2[/b]

Kawaigirl1[/b] - I'm not a massive fan of Philip Glass, but his music does have a certain mesmorising property which you captured brilliantly. I have the Philip Glass CD with this piece on it and your performance is indistinguishable from the real thing, literally flawless! I am incredibly envious of how well you kept those arpeggios even throughout!

Lisztener[/b] - A beautiful relaxing piece to listen to and completely flawless playing, not a mistake to be heard and great expression.

AdagioM[/b] - A nice piece and excellently played with very good dynamics.

Seaside_Lee[/b] - I don't know much about Piano Magic but I assume it teaches improvisation. This was wonderful to listen to, I could imagine it being played in a lounge to hotel guests. Excellent playing by ear.

loveschopintoomuch[/b] - A lovely piece and played with a lot of emotion, I really enjoyed it.

LuigiV[/b] - Fantastic medley! Nothing more to say. You played brilliantly for well over 5 minutes, something I find very difficult.

Mr Super-Hunky[/b] - I very much like Einaudi's music and that was stupendous! I haven't heard this particular piece before, which CD is it on? Regardless, your playing was sublime. It sounded like there were some very fast finger movements in there, you have great technical ability.

Monica Kern[/b] - Beautiful! You play accurately and with a lot of feeling for 9 whole minutes, wow! I wish you'd let those final notes die out though, they cut off a little abruptly. Thouroughly enjoyed this.

Copper[/b] - Having played this piece myself, I have to say that your timing threw me a bit. I think the left hand and right hand are the same note lengths in the main theme. But this is not to detract from your performance, in which there was clearly a love for the piece and a lot of emotion came through. Oh and it certainly is not a beginner's piece, much more challenging!

joemoshi[/b] - This choice of piece just goes to show how varied the members of the AB forum are. Excellently played, no mistakes, I really enjoyed listening. What more can I say?!

Peter[/b] - A very nice piece played with a lot of expression. I enjoyed your performance, thanks.

Ragnhild[/b] - Really well played. It sounded quite complicated and yet you allowed it to flow very well and played flawlessly.

Vincentime[/b] - I detected no mistakes in that whatsoever, which was quite an achievement for such a fast flowing piece. Well done!

dannylux[/b] - One year?! You what? I hope you played a lot as a kid otherwise I don't want to talk to you anymore. That was insanely brilliant. Passionate, emotional, very few mistakes for what seemed like such incredible complexity. You have such a great technique to have mastered all those fast sections and large jumps.

Euclid10540 aka Funky_Fred[/b] - Very nice, and an interesting change of style to everything I've listened to so far. A few unusual chords, but I guess that's what gave it the interesting jazzy touch. Well played all round.

Sandy Moore[/b] - I could not download this piece, please PM me an updated link so I can listen.

HouseHead78[/b] - What a nice slow and relaxing piece, and I enjoyed your variations to keep it interesting, it worked well and helped to add a bit of character to the piece.

craig137[/b] - Wow this was great! I'm pretty sure I couldn't have held it together for as long as that with a piece that was so fast and complex! I think your use of the pedal improved as the piece went on, to start with it sounded like it was being dampened a little too much. But all round excellent playing and a nice surprise at the end, if a little un-Beethoven-like!

Ozor Mox[/b] - You need to read Frycek's signature.

Stephenc[/b] - This had a gorgeously rich sound and I enjoyed your playing immensely. A great piece which is perfect for the recital theme.

DeepElem[/b] - Spotless and beautifully emotional recording, thanks very much! Nothing more to say!

Euan Morrison[/b] - A beautiful piece, and with an exquisite performance played with passion to boot! Just one question, were the pauses between measures (I guess) written in the music? Whether they were or not, it created a great effect I think.

Serge88[/b] - A nice rendition of Your Song. Good, solid playing and some nice improvisation.

Yamaha G-3 & P80[/b] - Fantastic! I love this piece and it's been on my list to learn for a long time, so I'd love it if you have any tips for playing it because it seems you need quite some finger dexterity to pull it off! I'd have recognised it sooner if you'd have named it "Petit Chien" in your submission! Your performance was excellent and interestingly you kept it quite slow when all the versions I've heard of it are very fast, and yet I really liked the way you played it.

#1034842 - 02/21/07 09:57 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Ozor Mox Offline

Loc: Hampshire, England
Part 2 of 2[/b]

Laura D[/b] - What a lively 6 hands piece! Obviously I can't comment on your individual performance, but the piece as a whole was really good and I enjoyed it, thanks.

Jazzyprof[/b] - Incredible performance. How you can say this is "not up to speed" is beyond me! I love this piece and thought you played it beautifully. I was especially impressed with the scale down and back up the piano at around the two-thirds mark, you played that with great technique. Thanks for playing.

mdp1w[/b] - What beautiful playing. I think if this is how you play when your attitude is just to play through it and face the red dot head on, then you should continue to use this attitude. Hell, just install a red dot on your piano for even when you aren't recording! This was played with such emotion and it's great to hear music that I would otherwise probably not have listened to, as I have heard of David Nevue but never heard his music.

TX-Dennis[/b] - This was a great rendition. Well played, no mistakes, and I really felt the character of the piece. No more words are necessary!

Nighteyes[/b] - Wow this was a great effort and to come out with only one small mistake in which you kept the rhythm flowing very well was quite a success I think! All three minuets had a slightly eerie feel to me and your sensitivity of touch and use of dynamics brought this out well. Excellent performance.

Piano again[/b] - Wonderful, I think you're another one I'm going to have to stop talking to! How you can get through a piece like this with such ease and a big gaping hole where mistakes could be but aren't I don't know. And not only that, but you play with such passion and awareness of changes in dynamics. Simply a perfect performance.

Triryche[/b] - Great rhythm and timing and a good, solid performance. Whether or not most of the 9 months was theory, you clearly have a knack for the practical side too!

mahlzeit[/b] - A nice, haunting melody that you brought out well in an all round great performance. I enjoyed listening very much.

Peyton[/b] - This was a nice piece and a great performance which you controlled very well and brought out lots of nuance in the music, with also a great use of the sustain pedal (something you need to teach me!)

LisztAddict[/b] - Wow, you're on my list too! Those fast runs and trills were fantastic and so accurate, I just don't know how you do it! You have a wonderful touch and the dynamics and feeling in this piece were spot on.

Mary-Rose[/b] - Beautiful. After reading your description, I couldn't help but imagine the sadness as I listened to your flawless and emotional performance for the full almost 8 minutes. It seems to go through so many feelings. Thanks.

Sarah M[/b] - *Gapes open mouthed* I love this piece and am in complete awe at your performance of it. I don't know what else to say, it was unbelievable. There are no flaws, don't be ridiculous! This is exactly like the one on my CD!

Ishmael[/b] - Great performance. Another David Nevue piece and I'm starting to like this guy! The piece flowed well and you played it solidly, well done.

IrishMak[/b] - Very nice. I think it might sound better with a little less pedal. And your piano sounds like it needs a little tune! But I enjoyed the piece and your performance and thought you played very well and emphasised the changes in harmony well.

Bluemarine[/b] - Great performance. This was a nice piece, and I particularly liked your dynamics in the middle loud section where your playing had a special power that commanded me to listen. Excellent dynamics and a lot of emotion in your playing.

Schubertian[/b] - What a great performance of one of my favourites! You played the fast runs and trills in this piece expertly and brought out a lot of emotion and nuance in the piece. I enjoyed this a lot.

NancyM333[/b] - This was great, if you were after an upbeat piece you picked the right one. I was resisting the urge to toe tap! I think you maintained good rhythm throughout, especially with the bass line which sounds like it would have been a bit tricky to keep even. Very well played.

Debussy20[/b] - For an hour's worth of learning this was brilliant, I don't know how you committed it to your memory so fast! Great dynamics and a really effective use of silence if that makes sense (in other words you don't do what I do and fill the silence by playing too fast, you paused between "sections" and I thought it sounded great!)

C7 Player[/b] - A good performance from memory, not too fast, and more accurate than I could ever play this piece which I have long since forgotten unfortunately. Hearing you play it makes me want to relearn it now!

DragonPianoPlayer[/b] - Really nice playing, unfortunately a bit muffled by the recording. I like the slightly altered rhythm and your powerful playing technique. Thanks.

AQP_87[/b] - Wow, that was amazing technique! You maintained that flawlessly from start to finish, which sounded like it would have been incredibly difficult, while also bringing out a lot of feeling in your playing. A highly enjoyable performance!

----------

Just a word to say thanks to everyone for letting me hear their amazing performances, and thanks to everyone who listened and commented on my submission. Taking part in this recital has been the most rewarding and inspiring experience I believe I've had with the piano.

#1034843 - 02/21/07 10:44 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
DeepElem Offline

Loc: USA
I wanted to thank everyone who commented, and everyone who participated. This was my first ABF Recital. I had seen the last 2 recitals and listened, but I didn't really understand how great the sense of community is for those that participate, comment on others playing, and receive comments on their playing.

This ABF is a great place, and the ABF Recital is a great event (big thanks to the Hunkster for starting this !!!).
- Fresco's Law

#1034844 - 02/21/07 11:10 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnhild:
I do one major mistake playing the grace note in a "romantic" in stead of baroque way (I did not listen until I had recorded it) - I kept it like that because I wanted to post my "personal" prayer. (I did hope someone would bother to comment the mistake, though, why didn't you, LisztAddict ? ;\) )
Ragnhild [/b]
Yes, baroque grace note falls on the beat together with all other notes in the chord except the main note after the grace note. But you are talking to a Chopin/Liszt addict here. \:D I didn't comment on that because I used to play Bach (on piano) with the grace note before the beat. I only put the grace note on the beat when I played organ.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnhild:
I still think it is a great loss that you did not become a church-organist[/b]
Playing organ was alright, but I already figured out that I could be 1000 times better a musician on the piano than on the organ. No big loss there. \:\)

#1034845 - 02/21/07 01:31 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ozor Mox:
IrishMak[/b] - Very nice. I think it might sound better with a little less pedal. And your piano sounds like it needs a little tune! But I enjoyed the piece and your performance and thought you played very well and emphasised the changes in harmony well.

[/b]
I wondered who would be first to mention that! Yes, it does need a tuning. Just couldn't get the tuner out here before recital deadline. \:\( But thank you for the comments. I've learned from each one who has posted a comment on my piece.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1034846 - 02/21/07 10:11 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Mountain Ash Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
I havn't been able to post individual comments this recital but may I just say well done to everyone that participated, I've been very impressed.

#1034847 - 02/21/07 10:42 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Here's a few more as I am waiting for my sister to arrive after late/cancelled flights. (Don't fly ComAir, trust me on this... :rolleyes: )

TX-Dennis[/b]: beautiful, smooth, entertaining jazz/swing. Some of those chords sounded like a ***** to reach, too.

Night-eyes[/b]: wonderful job! I actually liked the first minuet the best, because it had a delightful minor air, sort of a combination of ominous doom combined with jauntiness.

Mahlzeit[/b]: Now THAT'S a method book I'd like to learn from! What a beautiful, moving piece. Very new agish in tone.

Peyton[/b]: I wasn't expecting classical from you! \:D (I still miss your 'song of the month'.) I wish I knew more about classical music so I could comment intelligently on this, but I thought you did a wonderful job of bringing out the melody.

IrishMak[/b]: Those M&Hs have a terrific bass, even the uprights! Very nice and slow and soothing the way a spiritual should be. \:\)

Bluemarine[/b]: I had never heard of Fibich before. His work sounds more contemporary, very melodic. Thank you for introducing me to him! And I loved the thundering bass throughout the piece.

AQP-87[/b]: Alvaro, any time we get somebody who wants to know if they can become top-notch without starting in childhood, I'm going to direct them to you. That was fantastic... your fingers just never stopped flying and there wasn't a false note or hesitation anywhere. I simply cannot fathom that you have only been playing 16 months!!!

#1034848 - 02/22/07 05:16 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
shimmer Offline

Loc: Australia
I was able to listen to a couple more tonight.

stephenc[/b] - I found that very beautiful and very tender. Don't let your new teacher beat your innate sense for the music out of you ;\)

vincentine[/b] - I'm learning that piece at the moment but I don't play it nearly as well as you! Congratulations. Well done. You've shamed me into getting some more practice on this one before my lesson tomorrow \:\)

Mel[/b] - I am really starting to like Chopin. I can't believe that this can be easier to play than it sounds. It sounds quite difficult indeed. IMHO you seemed to play all of the notes very crisply and moved in and out of the moods very smoothly. You could tell you enjoy playing it and it was a lot fun listening to it as well.

euclid[/b] - well you can tell you've been playing your whole life! That was wonderful to listen to. So mellow that I decided I had to leave tonight's listening here and get myself a nightcap before bed \:\)

#1034849 - 02/22/07 07:54 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Babs_ Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
Page 4 continued.......................

Vicentime: The Bach notebook , one of my favorites in classical music! You played this well and I enjoyed it. I think this is one of the best pieces by Bach. The whole notebook series is wonderful. Good job with the Dynamics and keep playing it, I always thought this is a great piece to keep on playing even as you progress, it makes a great warmup piece too! \:\)

C7: I love this piece. You have a good memory too! Just lovely! I love Scoot Joplins' music and I still hope to play this piece one day,When I tried this song I found it can be difficult to keep up with the rythym at times. Great job!

BlueMarine: What an extrordinary piece! I am not familiar with this composer and I think I need to learn more about him. Just Beautiful! \:\)

Schubutain: This is one of my favorite Chopin nocturne! I have attempted this piece several times and still hope to play it one day. This piece has alot of tricky trills. Great job on those tricky trills! Lovely piece for Valentines day too!

PGE 4...............TBC

#1034850 - 02/23/07 10:42 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Craig137 Offline

Loc: Simi Valley, California
So sorry about the confusion of my perf. of Beethoven's Rondo. I changed the location near the last minute and the wrong link (to MySpace)
was up (for Feb. 15 bloggers). But I so very much appreciate your comments on "Fool To Hurt You" on www.myspace.com/cragdemetz
Thanks so much; that was a high one for me to sing. And thank you so much for the encouragement also on the Beethoven submission (to the recital) on www.craigdemetz.com
I haven't got a chance to listen to more than a couple but all of you are fantastic. I feel like such a beginner (to reading and classical) but am so excited and practice everyday this new gargantuan undertaking.
I'll come back after I've listened to more of your
perf. I feel so tiny here!
Mike White: WOW. How can you play that after only a couple yrs. like me? (Minute Waltz.) I wish I could do half that; I can't read tough key signatures yet. And you play it SO perfectly; it sounds like a totally professional performance by the 20th Century greats!
Thanks again so much for all your encouragement!
It means all the whole world to me.
See y'all later!
Craig

Seeing is believing.

#1034851 - 02/24/07 01:53 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK I have finally listen to all the pieces, my comments will be brief because english is a second language for me.

First parts:

KawaiGirl[/b]
You are really good, interesting, it sound newage.

Lisztener[/b]
Nice playing and recording, now I'm thinking of buying the zoom H4.

Michele[/b]
Great song and playing.

Seaside Lee[/b]
Excellent and I didn't know this song.

loveschopintoomuch[/b]
Traumerei, yes I have this song, as good as my CD, good job.

LuigiV[/b]
Yes I also have those songs on my Ipod, as good as the original.

Monica Kern[/b]
You play it well and the recording is excellent(Zoom H4 ??)

Copper[/b]
Wonderful, only two years you're playing ? you're good.

joemoshi[/b]
Excellent choice for the recital, Nice rendition.

Peter[/b]
Very nice piano piece and well played.

Ragnhild[/b]
Again very well played.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1034852 - 02/24/07 01:42 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I can't believe that I FORGOT about listening to the rest of the recital pieces!! (Don't ever get old; it plays havoc on your memory).

I hope I haven't left anyone out. I so enjoyed this recital. The variety and the quality of playing are just wonderful.

Craig[/b]
I really admire your ambition trying to teach yourself classical music. I am sure you know that most of those pop pianists you mentioned probably had classical training. You have absolutely no problem with the physical demands of the music. In other words, your technique is quite good. I think you might try to ease off just a tad on the rigid tempo. Perhaps put a little rubato (emotion) in your playing…just a little, here and there. It’s a difficult thing to teach someone. You have to feel it and it often isn’t noted in the music. Music is a very personal thing, no matter what anyone says. And I don’t think there is just one way of playing anything. Maybe relax a little and don’t be that concerned about playing the right notes. Play between the notes, if that makes sense. Otherwise…a wonderful achievement.

Ozor Mox[/b]
You definitely have this piece down, period. You own it. Perhaps, as you mentioned, a slower tempo might bring out more of the melody. But your playing is bright and brilliant, All those trills and ornamentation…crisp and perfect. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you.

Stephenec[/b]
How beautifully you play. With just the right emotion and a real understanding of how the music should flow. I agree…you definitely have it to the level of mastery.

Buck[/b]
I just can’t imagine how much “better” your playing sounded “before.” It was just lovely. The song combined with your loving touch gave me shivers. I’m going to record it for my personal collection. Only 8 months experience?? A real miracle.

Euan [/b]
I love that minor mode, waltz-like and such a haunting melody. I can’t give you any critical remarks because I thought you played it so extremely well. Loved it.

Serge88 [/b]
Thank you, Serge!! I am ashamed to admit I’ve never really listened/heard any music of Elton John. He seemed a little “far-out.” Boy, how wrong I was! That song is so elegant. You play it with great simplicity and feeling. A smooth and perfect performance. Thank you.

Mike [/b]
Mike, it sounded like you were playing right here in my living room. What can I say that I haven’t said before or what hasn’t been said by others. You are an inspiration. That lovely waltz was actually written by Chopin after he watched a little dog running around in a circle, trying to catch his tail. It means Small Dog. Whatever it means, no matter…exquisite playing. It just doesn’t get any better!

Laura [/b]
How delightful! A polka…and so much fun to listen to. Thank you.

Jazzyprof [/b]
This piece has ALWAYS managed to get to me. Maybe you think your playing isn’t quite perfect, but it sounded quite wonderful to me. And thank you for the poetry…so sad, yet so true.

Daria[/b]
I just can’t believe you played this amazing piece with arthritic fingers. Good for you to go for it; for you conquered it quite marvelously. A definite A+.

Dennis[/b]
Another old standard that will forever remain young. I love this song. Frank Sinatra sang it in his early years when his voice was like velvet. My brother played (or I should say, tried to play) it on the trumpet. We made him practice in the bathroom. Anyhow, I so admire your jazzy and snazzy piano style. Wish I could play with such confidence and ease. You made it sound so easy. And that’s a mark of a great pianist.

Nighteyes[/b]
So very, very impressive. Each one had a different flavor ,and you brought this quality out so perfectly. I sincerely enjoyed your performance. Congratulations. Well Done!

PianoAgain[/b]
I could hate you, I suppose…but it would only be because I am so jealous of your playing of this piece. You were magnificent! Starting later certainly didn’t make any difference in your performance. Those last two pages are killers…only someone who tried to learn this piece could appreciate just how murderous they are. But you mastered them effortlessly. You have inspired me to get to that last page. Brava!!

Triryche [/b]
So lovely. Your tempo was even and true. Excellent progress for such a short time. You are to be highly commended, especially spending so much time on theory. It will serve you very well in the future. Thank you.

Mahlzeit [/b] I think it’s great that you play the way you feel the music. For it is a personal thing and has to come from the heart. I agree it is a lovely piece and I can hear the emotion in your playing. Enchanting.

Peyton[/b]
If I can see what I’m writing through my tears. I can’t find the words to express what your playing is. And that piece brings out too much emotion in me to write about also. I think Schumann captured the true essence of Chopin, and you captured it all in your passionate performance.

LisztAddict [/b]
I don’t know why I’m not familiar with this piece at all. But it is easy to tell it is Chopin, and it is very apparent that it is LisztAddict playing it, even with the flu. Majestic sounding. Hope you get better soon.

MaryRose [/b]
I’m so glad you played Mozart. While I think this music is somewhat “controlled,” I could hear his “zal” in about the 10th measure (I’m only guessing). You played with quiet dignity and grace, very moving. I wish I could send you my Clavinova, as it just doesn’t seem fair that you don’t have your own piano. But, for only being able to practice a few times a week, I think it is evident you have the gift. Thank you.

Sarah [/b]
Go ahead…break my heart. What are you doing on the Adult Beginners? You belong in the Pianist Corner. That you could play this majestic piece when you were a teenager only serves to prove you have virtuoso talent. All I can say is WOW!
Ishmael[/b] I know you asked for no feedback. I am only going to say that I was overcome when I first heart Monica play this piece. Thank you for posting your rendition. I enjoyed it very much.

IrishMak [/b]
I don’t think there is a soul who doesn’t love this piece. You played it very well, indeed.

BlueMarine [/b]
I never knew anything about this music, yet I know I have heard it many times during my lifetime. A lot of heart and devotion here. Your playing was so ardent; obvious, that you love this piece. I did too. Thank you.

Schubertian [/b]
Ah…this lovely nocturne, one of my favorites. I so admired your playing of it…the yearning and tenderness were all there…in perfect unison.

NancyM333 [/b]
Whoa…so great. If this isn’t you, would you give “it” to me?? I loved it, tapping my feet and moving my shoulders to the beat. Super!!

Matt [/b]
I do have not have to be gentle with your playing. I think it was unbelievable that you learned this piece in a hour. It “ain’t” as easy as some people think. Very, very nice. I hope you continue with it for another hour, and then you’ll have it down perfectly.

Greg [/b]
I so enjoyed reading your “failure” story that I almost forgot to listen to your playing, which was excellent by the way. Great jazzy playing. Another toe-tapper. Yours story so reminded me of two times when I tried to record and wound up wanting to pound my head against the wall. Once, when I actually got through the e minor prelude perfectly, only to discover that I had forgotten to hit the red button. Another time, right in the middle of another “perfect so far” recording, a fly landed on my music and I took a swat at it, sending my music flying and completely ruining the recording. I think it would be a great idea if we could get a book going on some of the frustrating and funny things that happen when we’re trying to get ready for a recital. It’s almost like waiting in the dentist’s office knowing you are going to have a root canal done. Bach will always be there. I really liked the Joplin.

Dragonpianoplayer [/b]
You sent shiver down my spine when you got into the “don’t cry for me” part. Wow…after only 6 months. What a great performance. And that song, so absolutely ravishing. I want to get the sheet music. Thank you for that shiver.

APQ [/b]
Are you kidding?? To be able to play this piece (so beautifully, by the way) after such a short time is indeed an astounding achievement. I’m speechless!

#1034853 - 02/24/07 01:52 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Part 2[/b]

Mr Super-Hunky[/b]
I like it, one of the best.

Vincentime[/b]
Bach menuet, one of my favorite, I also play it. Well Done!

dannylux (Mel)[/b]
Difficult piece to play but you got it perfectly.

Euclid10540 aka Funky_Fred[/b]
I really like it, it's on my list of piece I want to learn.

Sandy Moore[/b]
Nice playing, I felt like swimming with a mermaid in the bottom of the ocean.

Jon Gray (HouseHead78)[/b]
11 months? sound like 7 years to me.Bravo!

craig137[/b]
I don't have it.

Ozor Mox[/b]
Well done and the emotion is there.

StephenC[/b]
Good, make me wish for more.

DeepElem (Buck)[/b]
The pmagic is there, really good.

Euan Morrison[/b]
I saw the movie, great I want to learn this song.

Serge88[/b]
What is that? COME ON ! you can do better, feel the music in your heart and make those fingers sing. Stop complaining and practice more.

more to come...[/b]

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1034854 - 02/25/07 05:29 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yamaha G-3 & P80, Mike White[/b]
Chopin, That is wonderful.

Laura D[/b]
1 piano, 6 hands, very interesting,well done.

jazzyprof[/b]
You have such a nice grand piano, fabulous.

Daria[/b]
Really good, I don't see any flubs.

TX-Dennis[/b]
Beautiful.

Nighteyes[/b]
Minuet are fun to play. I like the last one, it's more lively.

Piano again[/b]
Well done and nice recording.

triryche[/b]
You did a good job and only 9 months.

mahlzeit[/b]
The song is really beautiful.

Peyton[/b]
Really nice piece from Chopin.

Liszt Addict[/b]
I'm impress!

Mary-Rose[/b]
Nice piano playing of Mozart.

More to come[/b]

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1034855 - 02/25/07 06:03 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sarah M[/b]
I'm breathless as good as my CD.

Ishmael[/b]
Really good and it doesn't sound like a 10 months.

Mary Alice Kropp (IrishMak)[/b]
Nice you play with emotion.

Bluemarine[/b]
Great Job!

Schubertian[/b]
Nice music from Chopin.

NancyM333[/b]
Good choice of piece, I like it.

Debussy20 (AKA: Matt)[/b]
One hour ? It's hard to believe.

C7 Player Greg Smith[/b]
Ragtime ! good job.

DragonPianoPlayer / Rich Meredith[/b]
6 months ? That is really good.

AQP_87 (Álvaro Quiles Pomares)[/b]
1 year and 4 months ? Again I'm impress.

That's all, I can't wait for the next one.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1034856 - 02/26/07 09:35 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
I don’t know why I’m not familiar with this piece at all. But it is easy to tell it is Chopin [/b]
I'm very glad to know that I played Chopin and it sounds like Chopin \:D because I couldn't hear it much myself that day; just felt the pressure of the keys and heard the music in my head.

#1034857 - 02/26/07 09:21 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Agent Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
Finally I have all the files and listened to them all. [/b]
LisztAddict,

Where did you get the files from Recitals 1 and 2? I was trying to access them from the links but they don't exist. Thanks.

#1034858 - 02/27/07 12:31 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Agent,

I hope you or LisztAddict don't mind me jumping in here to post a link to the recitals you want. This link was posted by "Copper," a member who did a favor to the likes of you and me by finding a storage site then creating the zip files with all of the recitals.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/3849.html

You owe Copper a beer! ;\)

#1034859 - 02/27/07 09:15 AM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you Lisztener for posting the link because I didn't even know where to find them myself.

Agent - when I said all the files, I really meant the files for this recital #5.

We all each owe Copper a beer. \:\)

#1034860 - 02/27/07 12:21 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
Agent Offline

Alright! Thanks Lisztener and LisztAddict. That's a great idea about the beer!

#1034861 - 02/27/07 08:08 PM Re: Recital #5 General Discussion Room
shimmer Offline

Loc: Australia
I'm getting through these slowly. I can't believe the standard of play in this recital!

kawaigirl - I have never heard that piece but it sounds like you need great control to play it. well done.

deepeelm - 8 months!!!!!!! I'll repeat that ..... 8 months!!!!! I would love to play by ear. That was really beautiful. Full of emotion and I though the recording quality was fantastic. What is your recording set up?

serge88 - I didn't realise how beautiful this song was until I saw Moulin Rouge. I really enjoyed listening to you play that

mike white - wow. your lifetime of experience certainly shows. You don't need any words of encouragement from me \:\) Fantastic

lisztener - just beautiful. Do we actually have any beginners on this forum? ;\)

kathleen - I have no classical background at all so that may well be one of the most recognised pieces but I had never heard it before. I LOVED it. You played it beautifully. I am on the look out for new pieces and that one is definitely going on my list.

seaside-lee - That was very soothing and melancholic. You are a real ambassador for playing by ear. I'm feeling very emotional today and when I read that you were playing this for your Dad it really made me get quite teary while I was listening. He must be very proud of you. I hope that doesn't sound trite because I mean it sincerely.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (ajames, aesop, accordeur, Anne'sson, 38 invisible), 1677 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75883 Members
42 Forums
156800 Topics
2304011 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for an Android App....
by Ohio_Mark
Today at 09:17 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission