2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Please utilize this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #5 that is taking place in the Recital Room.

When providing opinion or critique of the performances, please try to limit yourself to a single post - either write notes and post at the end or create a post and edit it as you go along.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will.

Critical discussion should take place in the Recital #5 Critical Discussion Room .

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Monica,

I just got finished listening to your recital piece. I listened to it first because Longing/Love is one of my favorite Winston pieces as well. I have to say I loved it (no pun intended!). If there's any red dot syndrome there it sure is hard to tell. The first few minutes (before the main theme) are so atmospheric and you make the transition to the bouncier rhythm of the main theme really well.

I really enjoyed your performance and admire your recording tremendously!

Greg
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Note to everyone: I've "featured" the General & Critical discussion rooms for Recital 5 along with the recital itself so they'll be readily accessible to everyone. I'll unfeature them when the comments start to peter out.

Greg
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I have to say that Super-Hunky's performance blew me away. I think he had reached a plateau with his previous recordings and IMHO, with this one, he's looking down on that plateau from some distance!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
WOW!!

*Stands up for Standing Ovation*

I am absolutely blown away by all the awesome recordings!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you all for a wonderful recital !

I'm sorry, but I will probably never have time to listen carefully to everybody. Since you all play better than me there will be no critical comments either, just a little extra applaus for my personal favourites as a listener:

Kathleen: "Traumerei" is sort of overplayed, but you really are a performer !

Joemoshi: I love Tango - and I think the rhytm was there..

Peter: Scarlatti deserves some attention, this is really beautiful music, thankyou !

Euan Morrison : Of course, this is the right choice for a Love-Recital, and so beutifully played !

Peyton: I watched Arrau playing "Carnaval" the other day, but your version of "Chopin" has got "soul" - I love it.

Maryrose: A Mozart Adagio is maybe the most romantic I can think of - excellent choice !

Bluemarine: Thankyou for playing a piece that I have not heard for many years, it is really one of the greatest love-songs. And your playing is again professional.

C7 Player : There is something about how you make your piano sound that is just perfect for ragtime...

A big applause for all the others - there are so much hard work behind all this and so many of the performances are very close to professional. Also an applause for those who were too shy to send their performances even if they were just as good as the others !

Love you all heart !

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Can't wait to get home tonight to listen to several pieces .... jeeez, should have feigned migraine and stayed home or something ... smile I'm sooo curious.
Thanks to every contributant in advance and thanks to Bob Muir for setting it up again!

"The creative process is nothing but a series of crises."
(Isaac B. Singer)

[Linked Image]
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Sarah M - if you have only been back at piano for 8 months then I think you are doing really well with the Fantasie Impromptu. Very well done! Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
B
B
Wow. I've been listening to a song here and a song there, and as always, I'm blown away by the pianists in this forum.

Thank you to everyone who had the courage to hit the record button and submit a song. No kidding, you guys are an inspiration!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kawaigirl1: yes very mysterious and then Bam!! boy thats fast fingerwork! A great start to the recital

Lisztener: Sounded lovely to me nice expression wheres the red dot syndrome?

Michele (AdagioM): Hi Michele I got your file to play today...YAAAAAAAAAYYY!! what a lovely touch you have, very nice indeed.

Seaside: I just wanna be you

loveschopintoomuch: A delight to hear you play as always thankyou, I see how it can bring a tear

Luigi: I always have trouble with save file dunno why?...I'll come back to it later

Super Hunky: I'm with Bob...your best yet

Monica Kern: Well, I've just spent 9 minutes and 25 seconds!!! in the delightful company of Monica and her piano and Monica I have to say that was absolutely worth every minute...I love the way you play!

Copper: Not my favourite piece of music but, I thought you made a good job of it

joemoshi: a lovely tango, maybe it needs more drama to get what you wish for it

Peter: That compression is rather harsh, I notice it is still a .Wav file maybe try converting to an MP3 file next time will give you a better sound?

Ragnhild: delightful, thankyou

Vincentime: Sounded fine to me, I'll leave it to the classical pianists to give you pointers

dannylux (Mel): You must have played a lot as a kid, that intro was incredible, just fab playing Oh my!! I am definitely starting to like Chopin

Funky_Fred: Oh Fred..I love it...jeez I love it

Sandy Moore: It somehow reminds me of an underwater scene?...perfect mermaid music

Jon Gray (HouseHead78): For 11 months!!...WOW!

craig137 Craig: Bottom song of 4? I could only see "Fool to hurt you"???....where exactly d'ya mean? (liked all the hot chicks that are your buddies though!!!! OMG eek )

Ozor Mox: Thankyou for sending me another link...got it to work no problems this time and boy am I glad I did. I don't know this piece at all but, I could listen to you play all day...It was so beautiful it gave me chills. I shall be burning it to CD and playing it over and over along with most of the beautiful music in this recital...one of my favourites for sure.

Stephenc: Aww man...that's at a level I like too...how good? jeez I love that too

Buck: My friend, from that intro I just knew it...that is just simply gorgeous...awww man

Euan Morrison: I will buy your first album, you can do no wrong in my eyes...love everything about it

Serge88: Hello Sir Elton!!...I love this song and it is on my can't play list so I'm jealous...wonderful just wonderful, I adore your version, its so wanting, kinda makes you want to cry

Mike White: Everything you touch is like goldust...you are still a GOD, doesn't seem to matter whether you read it or play it by ear...you're a genius

Laura D: Thoroughly enjoyed listening to your polka thanks

Jazzyprof: Thanks for the lyrics, wow you can play that's for sure...3 years!! I'm depressed now (only kidding but, still...WOW!)

mdp1w (Daria): I love your link to the theme (you "love snow" that is brilliant!!)
Your playing is divine, I really, really like this piece

TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner): That has such a 30/40s feel to it...I've decided I want to be you, I was thinking of playing this song...glad I didn't now

Nighteyes: how good is that?? have no idea what I could say that could make it any better

Piano again: once again what wonderful playing, theres something about Chopin

Triryche: You sound great...can't all have been theory, well played

mahlzeit: From sheet music now!! your talents never cease to amaze me!!! lovely

Peyton : You are another with amazing talents...incredibly beautiful and inspiring

LisztAddict: Oh yes more beautiful Chopin...I'm already a fan of yours and this is no disappointment, hope you get over the flu soon

Mary-Rose: Yes very reflective, glad you are back in the saddle

Sarah M: In 6 or 7 months you are back up to that level...WOW!!!

Ishmael: no link yet

Mary Alice Kropp (IrishMak): This is your best so far IMHO...a few hesitations maybe? and take care with the sustain in places ...any pasta left?

Bluemarine: You play far better than me, so I'll just say...very well played...the drama you create in those build ups incredible

Schubertian: 4 months after a 40 year break!!!...it sounds like you've never been away...brilliant!

NancyM333: Oooh I love it, I always thought that was Glenn Miller (duh what do I know) love the walking bass...yes very entertaining BRAVO!!

Debussy20 (AKA: Matt): Matt you are just so talented, a joy to listen to...could listen to you play for longer thats for sure

C7 Player Greg Smith: Greg, I like ragtime...one of my favourite films of all time is "The Sting" and this piece always reminds me of Redford and Newman...well played...MORE!

DragonPianoPlayer / Rich Meredith: Glad your piece made it...liked the change of pace...awesome for only 6 months back in the saddle

AQP_87 (Álvaro Quiles Pomares): needs polish huh?...man you are such a talent...a great finish to another wonderful recital

I shall be playing this one over and over

Thanks all

regards

Lee

to be continued...

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm sitting here with a stack of midterm exams to grade, so I won't be able to listen to or comment at length on all the submissions for a while, but I have been so curious to hear the "vesion of Nefeli that will knock your socks off" by mr_super-hunky that I just had to give it a quick listen. Yes, I think it is the best work you've submitted to date, hunky. smile

I honestly didn't know what to expect, as Einaudi's work is so 'precise,' for want of a better word, that I didn't know how it would respond to the Super-Hunky Llama Method of Improvising. But what you've created is not pure Einaudi but a Super-Hunky/Einaudi hybrid, and it is very very good indeed. thumb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Bob,

I don't see my entry on the recital. Did you not receive it?

Thanks
Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The first email must have gotten lost in the bit bucket Rich. I just received your second email and added it to the recital.

Bob

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I can't access the pieces on filesharing websites at work because of our filters here, but I did get to listen to a couple of the website pieces.

Mr. S-H: I am very impressed at your prelude, and Nefeli sounds great. I have a friend learning this piece, and she says putting the hands together is very difficult. Yours sounds very smooth.

Monica: How in the world did you get such a great recording of a long piece like that? My own piece is a minute and a half, and I still have many stammers and stalls in there. It's beautiful. I did not hear technical problems. The fast sections were very clean. I had forgotten how much I enjoy George Winston's music, so thanks for reminding me.

Nancy

Estonia 168
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Bob.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I gotta add a correction to my entry- I've been taking lessons for almost Two years, not three. My typing skills are no better than my piano playing!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think that guests to this forum are going to want to go out and buy a piano after hearing this music.

Congratulations everyone on your progress.

Mike White

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by IrishMak:
I gotta add a correction to my entry- I've been taking lessons for almost [b]Two years, not three. My typing skills are no better than my piano playing! [/b]
Thanks for the laugh...that was good... Only have listened to a few as of yet...(I am at work, at least today I am ... a DaimlerChrysler worker) great job everyone first for MAKING the time to record and submitting...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you, Lee! laugh

This recital proves that we, Adult Beginners, have SO MUCH to say...

I've heard several recordings, I didn't have time, but I'll listen to all of them... I LOVE everything I've heard. Amazing. Nothing more to say... Just awesome, guys.

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
General comments: It took several hours to listen to everyone’s contributions, and I enjoyed every minute. I have only recently returned to playing after a long, long absence, and you inspire me to practise more and try harder. Thank you one and all.

Two people I really missed: Funburger and Frycek. Please come back next time!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission