2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, I know this is a stretch, a real one, but I wonder if anyone has heard this particular piece of music. This is really new to me.

I will be attending a concert at Carnegie Hall this coming Sunday, Juilliard Symphony will be conducted by James Conlon.

Thanks for this "change of topic". smile

Suz Offline
Listening to a Mahler symphony is an amazing experience. You just feel totally immersed in the music. For one thing, you need huge numbers of musicians to perform one -- double brass and wind sections and extra strings (the only time I've ever seen 8! horns on stage before!), choirs, vocal soloists are not uncommon. This creates such a depth of sound. And then you add the emotional aspect: total despair to the most sublime, uplifting music you've ever heard. Please enjoy! (Can you tell I'm a Mahler fan?)

musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yep - I can tell thanks - I did borrow a cd of this symphony from the library, Tilson Thomas conducting - haven't listened to it yet - but nothing can take the place of a live performance. smile

V
V
Personally I find Mahler's music long winded. While there are lovely melodies throughout his works he takes too long to develop his ideas, to paraphrase the Koncertmeister in the film "Amadeus" ; "too many notes". Of course your mileage may vary and this is all very much my opinion. Of all his symphonies I prefer both the 1st and especially his 2nd, "The Resurrection". I say this as I have tried REALLY hard to get into Mahler and its so difficult! Whats wrong with me? laugh

As Suz notes, it takes many musicians to play Mahler. I witnessed the 5th performed by The Philadelphia Orchestra several years back at Bob Carr in Orlando. While the performance was quite good I had a time deciding if most of the applause was for the music, performance or the fact it was finally over. wink I'll take Brahms anyday, thank you!

musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Vintagefiners,

Just listened to the first part of Mahler's Symphony #3 - borrowed the cd from the Library. Tilson Thomas is the conductor.

I'm not sure what to make of Mahler's music - hope attending a live performance this Sunday will make things clearer. This my first experience with Mahler.

We might just agree with one another, get back on Sunday after the concert. The first thought that came to mind was Bartok and I don't like Bartok, so I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens. Maybe I'll be plesantly surprised.
smile

V
V
Musdan, regardless of whether or not you decide you like Mahler, there is nothing quite like a live orchestra performing a large symphonic work. A renowned conductor of Mahler's work would have to include Leonard Bernstein and the NY Philharmonic. If you decide you want to explore Mahler deeper, I would seek out his recordings.

Enjoy the Concert!

musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Vintagefingers

I agree with you, there is nothing like a live performance and I'm looking forward to Sunday.

There is something about being in Carnegie Hall or any other concert hall, with musicians tuning their various instuments, audiences, in this case, choirs and solo singers that bring enjoyment that no recording can do.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i've been live performance of some Mahler's symphonies (no.5 or 7), and just can't get into his music. i have to say there's some nice moments in the symphonies, but the overall impression of his symphonies to me is that his music doesn't speak to me, as if he's trying to say too much with too many expressive words in some really complicated and long sentences which become excessive and tiresome to listen to after a while... it's just me though.

musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Signa,

Tomorrow is the concert, so I'll get back on this.

I did hear a little of this symphony on a cd from the Library, and have to say that it seemed to me that the music was everywhere at once.

Trying my best to keep an open mind - sometimes a live performance brings something that a recording cannot. Till Sunday. smile

musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Signa,

Just got back from the concert and I don't know what to say. Glad I went, but I think once is enough for me.

There were some parts that I liked, some I'm not sure about and parts of the music would make a soundtrack for Space Odyssey or suspense movie.

I'll let a little time go by - the Juilliard Symphony is an excellent group of musicians and I was very happy to see James Conlon conduct. smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
hi, musdan, i guess that you felt almost the same as i did about Mahler. so, i'm not alone. hey, at least you enjoy the orchestra and conductor, and the evening is worth a while.

musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I would like to know why the soloist didn't just leave the stage after she finished singing. It can't be easy sitting stage front center with nothing to do.

It is protocol to sit it out?

Signa, the two of us agree, but there are many Mahler fans out there. smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission