Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, ajames, A-Tom, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1678 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1036773 - 10/28/08 10:30 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Are you going to be tuning the piano for his concert, BDB? Wouldn't that be exciting?! Are the musicians usually present when you tune for a show?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1036774 - 10/29/08 01:11 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
Yes, drinks will be served. My ticket came in the mail and clearly states over 21 and 2 drink minimum as well. It also says something about no cameras on it which will be annoying if they're really serious about that. I'll be a tourist in San Fran and I'd hate to have to go back to the hotel just to drop off a camera.

#1036775 - 10/29/08 02:29 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I would not worry about bringing a camera, just bring a bag and leave it in there. After all, cameras are all over these days, usually in cell phones. I have suggested that when the announcement is made that no photography is allowed that they add the line: "If you are going to ignore that, at least turn off the flash. It is annoying, and you are too far away for it to do any good!"

Monica: I do not know yet. Not particularly. Eventually, almost always (sometimes we lose some of them*), but rarely when I am working.

* At times, people have gotten snowed in, had visa problems, things like that. Now that is exciting! Last week, the musicians showed up at one of the shows, but their instruments got stuck in Sacramento. Sunday, I got there an hour before the pianist, who arrived about five minutes before the piano. That incident was the only problem for me, at least recently.

#1036776 - 11/10/08 02:04 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK, we're 10 days out from the concert in San Francisco. So far it seems that Monica, Key Notes and I will be attending the concert. Any other piano world members attending the show?

#1036777 - 11/10/08 04:50 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
 Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB:
OK, we're 10 days out from the concert in San Francisco. So far it seems that Monica, Key Notes and I will be attending the concert. Any other piano world members attending the show? [/b]
My spirit will be there; unfortunately my body will be 6,000 miles away \:\(

#1036778 - 11/10/08 05:12 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
It may also be the case that people in the area planning on attending the concert may wish to attend with significant others or loved ones, *not* random strangers from the internet, especially random strangers who might be prone to throwing their bras up on the stage. :p And that's perfectly understandable.
[/b]
It is becoming rather obvious that a seat facing _Monica_ would be the most entertaining seat in the house by far!! \:D

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1036779 - 11/11/08 09:50 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Blackbird Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
 Quote:
Originally posted by ProdigalPianist:
 Quote:
It may also be the case that people in the area planning on attending the concert may wish to attend with significant others or loved ones, *not* random strangers from the internet, especially random strangers who might be prone to throwing their bras up on the stage. :p And that's perfectly understandable.
[/b]
It is becoming rather obvious that a seat facing _Monica_ would be the most entertaining seat in the house by far!! \:D [/b]
Perhaps Monica could also attend a UK 2009 venue to encourage the faithful \:D

#1036780 - 11/14/08 11:55 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's another treat that appears to have just become available for people in the San Francisco area:

event name:
SAN FRANCISCO
event address:
Instore Concert VIRGIN MEGASTORE 2 Stockton St. San Francisco, CA 94108
event time:
event date:
19/11/2008

It's actually pretty darn close to were I'll be getting off the train from the airport is is only blocks from my hotel. Now the only thing that might stop me from attending this little show would be a meet up I had planned with some other people on Wed since previously I had nothing better to do...

#1036781 - 11/17/08 04:03 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

Now that I'm through gnashing my teeth in bitter jealousy and regret about this added event (my plane gets in too late Wed. night... ), I can concentrate on the fact that the concert is literally just days away!

The next 48 hours will be crazy with trying to get some stuff done at work before I leave, but it'll be worth it to get away... especially since the low here tonight is supposed to be 24 degrees, and we've had flurries all day. Sunny Calif, here I come!

#1036782 - 11/17/08 04:53 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
The next 48 hours will be crazy with trying to get some stuff done at work before I leave, but it'll be worth it to get away... especially since the low here tonight is supposed to be 24 degrees, and we've had flurries all day. Sunny Calif, here I come! [/b]
 Code:
Tonight: Scattered snow showers before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 10. North northwest wind between 11 and 14 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
I couldn't agree with Monica more on this one! \:D

#1036783 - 11/17/08 06:52 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Monica, we are all looking forward to a review of the concert.

Rich

#1036784 - 11/17/08 11:17 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
[quote]Originally posted by AnthonyB:
 Code:
Tonight: Scattered snow showers before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 10. North northwest wind between 11 and 14 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
I couldn't agree with Monica more on this one! \:D
Hi Anthony and Monica,

It appears that you folks are tough in terms of cold weather resistance, but while the bay area weather have been super nice, warm and beautiful in the high 70s and low 80s. It's supposed to be in the high 67 and low 52 this Thursday in the city. Perhaps tropical for you folks but layering is required for wimpy Californians such as myself. See you all this Thursday.

From the sunshine state of California.

Key Notes \:\)

#1036785 - 11/18/08 07:58 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
marie323 Offline

Loc: California
I'd really hoped to convince my friend to take me to the Los Angeles concert tonight. I didn't manage to, but alas, it doesn't matter, because I have a night class and have already missed too many classes to skip. \:\(

#1036786 - 11/19/08 11:32 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

*bump.

1 day to go!

#1036787 - 11/19/08 12:09 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

[rubs hands together in glee and anticipation]

I'm getting ready to head off to the airport. I got a call from Anthony a couple of hours ago, and he was sitting in the Chicago airport waiting for his connection.

I had a close call, actually... two nights ago my son threw up in middle of the night and apparently had one of those stomach bugs. So I spent yesterday morning taking him to the doctor and hoping he would recover quickly so I could go to the concert and not feel like the Worst Mother In The World. Fortunately, he was fine all afternoon and last night, and chipper as can be this morning. So I sent him off to school and can go hear Einaudi reasonably guilt-free.

#1036788 - 11/21/08 09:45 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

It was a fabulous experience and evening. Einaudi's performance lasted approximately an hour and fourty five minutes, without breaks, but it felt a lot shorter than that. I'll let Monica and Anthony, the true experts and admirers of Einaudi, to send in their reviews and elaborate on the details.

Many thanks to Monica and Anthony for getting there so early and saving us all the best seats and table in the house. It was definitely a pleasure to meet both of you, and I hope that you've enjoyed your brief yet memorable visit to the bay area.

Warm Regards,

Key Notes \:\)

#1036789 - 11/22/08 12:05 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

It was indeed a fabulous evening. \:\) Magical, even. I got there 35 minutes before the doors opened at 6:30 (for an 8:00 pm concert time), and I wasn't even the first person in line! But we did indeed end up with an excellent table--if not THE best, the second best in the house. And Anthony and I zealously saved seats for Key Notes and her guest, despite repeated attempts by ushers and other patrons to nab the good seats. \:D

The concert itself was fantastic. Einaudi devotes a lot of time to improvising and rarely played a single piece at a time... instead, he would weave 3 or 4 pieces together in a medley of pieces strung together with improvised bridges. About halfway through he took a few minutes to chat, and he explained that he liked to improvise a lot, and that in fact he couldn't tell us what he was going to play next, because he didn't know himself. Yet. \:D

It was a humbling experience to hear him play live, because it was crystal clear that whatever I can accomplish with his music comes off as sounding ham-fisted and leaden compared to his performance. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but his playing is so much more delicate and full of emotion (and LOTS of rubato) live than it is on the recording. It is definitely worth hearing, because it differs so much from his recordings, and I am so glad I took the time and money to go to SF.

I was also fascinated by trying to analyze his technique. He sat pretty far back on the bench (which I always thought was a no-no), and he played with his right pinkie curled up most of the time (ditto). Yet he played with a delicacy, emotion, and beauty that mesmerized me. Shortly after he began playing I became aware of somebody humming to the music. I was getting all ready to identify the offender and send him one of my patented Withing Glares, when I realized it was coming from the speakers (the piano and stage were mic'ed), and it was Einaudi himself getting into his music!! \:D

Most of what he played were familiar pieces from I Giorni, Una Mattina, and Divenire. My favorites were "Nuvole Bianche," "Dietro Casa," "Divenire," and "I Giorni." There were two stretches where he played material that I and Anthony were unfamiliar with, but we couldn't tell if it was new pieces from his forthcoming album (Hurray!) or just some of his improvised bridges.

If I had a complaint at all, it was that the evening was over way too soon. I could've listened to him all night. \:\) But the lights came on, we clapped like crazy, then he played "Le Onde" as an encore, and we all gave him a well deserved standing ovation.

But when the concert was over, Anthony got some good pictures of us standing in front of the piano (which I hope he will post later), and Einaudi signed autographs, too. I bought two CDs and had him sign them, and we got some more pics of us standing with him (on Anthony's camera, again, because I forgot to bring mine. [gnashes teeth]).

While the travel itself was not so great (have they shrunk coach seats more than ever????), it was a wonderful trip. Anthony and I had a great time touring Alcatraz the afternoon before the concert, which I had never seen before. It was fun to meet PW buddies in the flesh. The weather was beautiful, compared to the 25 degrees waiting for me at home in Lexington.

Apparently the SF show was a sell-out. I hope the rest of his U.S. tour does similarly well and that he comes here again. I would love to see him perform live again, if I could. \:\)

#1036790 - 11/22/08 12:21 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Monica,

I am sincerely thrilled that you, Key Notes and Anthony had such a great time. I hope to see some photos, soon. \:\)

Key Notes,

Thanks to you for your gracious comments. I'm glad that you, Monica and Anthony had this opportunity to meet and share this experience.

Good on all of you.

Lisztener

#1036791 - 11/22/08 12:25 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

Hey BDB... was that you tuning the piano I saw as we entered the room?

#1036792 - 11/22/08 12:48 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

I got home a few minutes ago and took care of a few things then fired up the computer to offload the images I have. Unfortunately it appears that Monica decided to blink in the group shot we have, but I think there's a a chance that Key Notes has a good group picture then as I think they took a few before we took one with my camera.

I'm not sure if the others want a picture up here at this point or not, so I'll just post the one I have of Ludovico and myself.

I'll have to post a summary of my thoughts when I get the time late on Saturday.

#1036793 - 11/22/08 01:57 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
BDB Online   content

Quote:
Hey BDB... was that you tuning the piano I saw as we entered the room? [/b]
No. I was asked to come in and touch it up, but I was not feeling up to it. My wife had a lot of dental work that day, and I got the word after 5, and I had not made dinner. It was not the house piano, but a rental, and I preferred that the rental agency's tuner take care of it. I suppose that is who it was.

I hope you liked Bimbo's. I think of it almost as a museum piece, a nightclub out of the past, very well preserved. Had I been there, I would have looked for you.

#1036794 - 11/22/08 03:49 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey guys,

So glad the concert went so well! Sounds like it was everything you expected and more. Good job on getting the autographs and photos too!

Did he play Divenire without the string section? Or was there a backing track?

Also, love the fact the played Dietro Casa and Nuvole Bianche. Would have loved to have heard them live \:\)

#1036795 - 11/22/08 10:37 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas

#1036796 - 11/22/08 10:41 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I'm glad you guys had a great time! More pics please.

And what type of piano did he play?

#1036797 - 11/22/08 11:09 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
BDB Online   content

It was a Steinway.

#1036798 - 11/22/08 11:22 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Babs_ Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
Sounds like you all had a Divine time!!!!!!! \:\)

Just last night I was trying to play Le Onde again, I couldn't get it to sound anywhere near what it was supposed to sound like! It is alot harder to play than it sounds! It always amazes me as to how well he keeps that constant rubato going and he really does have excellent tone! What a great finale song, it is a real soulful and peaceful song and I just love it!!!

I also like Divenire , that song always gives me energy. I never tire of listening to it. Did he play it any different than he does on his CD? And I am also wondering if there was any backup instruments for that song.

Glad to hear you got autographs, I am sure you will treasure those forever!

#1036799 - 11/22/08 12:17 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Blackbird Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
 Quote:
Originally posted by BB Player:
[/b]

#1036800 - 11/22/08 12:41 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

Hey... y'all GOT a pic! That's a nice shot, Anthony, of you and Einaudi. \:\) And thank you for not putting up the unflattering group photo with me blinking. :p With any luck, Key Notes will have some other photos to put up.

The tone of the piano was very nice, though the pedal creaked audibly maybe 3 or 4 times... the rental company really ought to fix it.

Babs, Einaudi played Divenire differently than on the album. (He played ALL the pieces differently, and he said something to the effect that he does that deliberately to keep from being bored by playing the same thing over and over again.) The main difference is that he played the intro part much slower than the main theme, which I was intrigued to hear, because it's that intro part where I keep making mistakes trying to play it at tempo. So now I can play it slowly and justify it by saying that I'm doing it the "live Einaudi" way. \:D

He didn't use the looping iPod thingy for Divenire, but he did use it for (just) one of the other pieces.

BDB, I was pleasantly surprised by Bimbo's. It does have an older charm to it. I was impressed by the staff. I had been worried about it being a nightclub setting and that there might be a lot of noise and disruption, but the waitresses were skilled at moving unobtrusively among the tables and taking and delivering orders in an almost unnoticeable manner. Our table was at the front, to the left of the piano so we had a good view of Einaudi's hands, but not so far left that we couldn't see his face. Perfect positioning, actually.

#1036801 - 11/22/08 03:32 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Sounded like you guys had a blast at the concert

Hmmm, never did try to play the intro part slower than the main theme for Divernire. Must go try it \:\)

Can't wait to see some more pics of you guys with Einaudi.

flickr

#1036802 - 11/22/08 10:45 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BB Player:
[/b]
:D \:D \:D Boy, talk about pressure. But Swreek!!! I'm kind of shy... AnthonyB was nice enough to captured a photo of each of us posing with Einaudi, perhaps he'll be kind enough to post one of Monica, who looked gorgeous in her dress.

I wish that I could've taken more pics of the huge club itself. It's definitely an elegant venue for holding concert performances. They even have a full time attendant inside the ladies' restroom to hand out paper towels after you washed your hands and to make sure that everything is immaculately cleaned.

Thanks everyone for your nice thoughts and comments, I wish that many of you could've joined us. Let me see if I can find a good group picture out of the three that someone was nice enough to take of us, then collect my nerve before I post it. \:D

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
12/18/14 01:26 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159959 Topics
2349136 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission