Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1036803 - 11/23/08 02:07 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I was lucky enough to see and meet Ludovico twice during my trip to San Francisco thanks to him having an in-store concert at the Virgin Mega store on 2 Stockton Street in San Francisco on the 19th. At first there weren't too many people showing up and sitting down so it was just a few of us in the front row of chairs for a while. The seats did manage to fill up pretty well before he started playing and we had some folks standing by the end. It was a somewhat strange experience to walk into a music store and hear tracks from Ludovico Einaudi playing over the speakers though.

He started off (both concerts, actually) with Uno and Dietro L'Incanto. He played quite a few tracks from Divenire during both concerts, with only just handful of others. The in store concert mainly featured pieces from Divenire and I Giorni because those are the two albums the store had for sale, no doubt. The Divenire tracks came first followed by a trip to some I Giorni pieces. Ludovico played for just about an hour or so at the in-store event. He brought some bottles of the family wine with and proceeded to be nice and sign autographs after the show.

Monica and I spent the time before the concert on Thursday sightseeing. We visited an aquarium, walked around quite a bit, visited some sea lions and took a tour of Alcatraz Island. Once we got back from our hotels we headed back to our hotels to prepare for the concert.

My hotel was further away so it took me a bit longer to get ready and back to the club, but Monica had already gotten us a nice spot in line. When we arrived inside a tech was just finishing making final adjustments to the piano and we were seated and begun some eating and drinking while waiting for the concert as doors are one and a half hours before the actual show begins. It took quite some work keeping the ushers from handing off the prime seats at the table we had as they were already taken by our late arriving guests.

Again, the pieces were mainly from Divenire and I Giorni. I'll have to say I didn't write anything down and don't have a good enough memory to recall the tracks played. I will say the audience was great and gave him plenty of well deserved rounds of applause. The tracks he seemed to really get in to while playing seemed to be “Oltremare” and “Andare”. He was making audible noises the most during those songs. He actually shocked me the first night at the in store concert when he was making occasional humming and other such noises likely to help him play and keep time during some of the faster sections. It might be a side effect of playing Divenire pieces with accompaniment. He was much more audible during his actual concert. This could have been due to the piano being mic'd for audio. We were fairly close to the loudspeaker. I think he played Ascolta with his electronic backing track from his iPod. I really enjoyed all the modifications he makes to his music and the bridges between different songs that he comes up with. That makes the performance much more interesting. The encore he performed for us was “Le Onde” which was excellent to hear. I think everyone there wanted him to keep playing, but it wasn't to be. \:\)

When he was signing things after the show I once again failed to ask if he ever had plans to do future shows in the USA after these. Darn it. From what I could tell the other shows on the east coast had not been selling all too well which was rather depressing. The fact that only a handful of people went to the Saturday Boston show and they flat out canceled the Sunday show isn't good. I should have also asked, if I got the chance, what he was planning on doing before his show in Mexico. There is a week between his concert in New York and the show in Mexico so I wonder if Ludovico will visit some cities and look for some more musical inspiration. Either that or maybe he'll take the time to get some work done on the new album.

There wasn't much that I did the day following the concert as I pretty much packed up my stuff in the morning and did just a bit of walking around before taking the subway back to the airport.

Overall the trip was well worth the money spent. I had a great time meeting some of the people who I only get to talk to on-line. I really hope that Ludovico will some day take another trip to the USA so that I can see him play again. It would be great if he could manage to stop by Chicago next time as this way one of our other posters here (aw2pp) could have an easier chance to see him play. I'm sure Monica and I could find a way to head there for a concert as well.

I don't have a lot of pictures of Ludovico as they stated no cameras during the concert and the pictures I took the night before were also mainly without flash and thus a bit grainy on the digital camera. I'll get around to posting some of those soon.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1036804 - 11/23/08 02:30 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
As promised... a group pic \:\)

#1036805 - 11/23/08 03:57 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks, Key Notes! That one turned out pretty nice, I think. \:\) You can see the piano in the background. I will confess that I reached up and depressed one key so that I can say that I "played" the same piano that Einaudi did. \:\)

And thanks for the detailed review, Anthony. You did a better job of remembering the pieces played than I did!

#1036806 - 11/23/08 04:16 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Kawai, HI Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Great photo! We're so jealous!

#1036807 - 11/24/08 12:05 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Anthony that was a great review. It's great you guys pulled this whole thing off without a hitch.

I'm super jealous as well.

Next time, I say we all get together for a Nobue Umatsu concert. ..[Final Fantasy series composer].

#1036808 - 11/24/08 10:48 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

Well, even though I forgot my camera, I can contribute a photo after the fact. Here's my two Einaudi CDs with autographs. Um, let's just say that I was near the end of the autograph line and Einaudi was clearly getting tired of writing by then. \:D

#1036809 - 11/24/08 10:56 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Happy Birthday BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
Um, let's just say that I was near the end of the autograph line and Einaudi was clearly getting tired of writing by then. \:D
[/b]
I'll say! If you showed me that and gave me a million guesses of whose "signature" it was I'd probably still not get "Ludovico Einaudi" from that.

Oh well, at least you[/b] know who it is!

#1036810 - 11/24/08 11:15 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

So glad you all enjoyed, and shared with us! Einaudi isn't really my "cup of tea", but neither is solo cello, and just that by Rostropovich was absolutely the finest show I've ever been to (likely the finest I'll ever be to...), and I've been to a blue billion. My point is that to be in the presence of a master--whatever the particular 'flavor'--is both an humbling and an elating experience, to be savored and cherished. Methinks I would have enjoyed it in spite of my 'New-Age aversion'...

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)

#1036811 - 11/24/08 11:42 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
 Quote:
Um, let's just say that I was near the end of the autograph line and Einaudi was clearly getting tired of writing by then. \:D
[/b]
Yeah, I must say that I got a little more ink when he signed my book:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/3215/11.html

It seems like he wrote something extra above his name for me then. Probably 'regards' or 'best wishes' or 'good luck trying to play the intro to Divenire, hahaha'.

#1036812 - 11/24/08 11:45 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

I'm betting the extra was his first name, Euan... that looks like an "L". Sort of. \:D

Maybe Anthony can upload a photo of his autographed iPod, as that was a signature with distinguishable letters.

I'm not complaining... I'm delighted to have the autographs, and I have to say it's very gracious for a musician to take the time after a concert to mingle with the fans. Must get very tiring and boring for him, but for us... what a thrill.

#1036813 - 11/24/08 02:13 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Images \:\)

Is the thread a bit less worthless now?

#1036814 - 11/24/08 05:22 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Thanks, Key Notes! That one turned out pretty nice, I think. \:\) You can see the piano in the background. I will confess that I reached up and depressed one key so that I can say that I "played" the same piano that Einaudi did. \:\) [/b]
You're welcome Monica. \:\) I'm sure glad that one of them turned out decent.

Yes, I did noticed your wandering fingers and hand and I was tempted to do the same except I didn't want to end up on Alcratrez. \:D

Have a happy Thanksgiving week and I hope that you'll come back and visit us again soon!

Key Notes \:\)

#1036815 - 11/24/08 05:28 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawai, HI:
Great photo! We're so jealous! [/b]
Kawai, HI, You are always so nice. If you and polostrings ever visit the mainland and in the area, please let me know. I would love to meet you guys.

Have a happy Thanksgiving and best regards.

Key Notes \:\)

#1036816 - 11/25/08 11:26 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Anthony,

In my mind there never was a question concerning the worth of this thread.

I believe it to be a vivid and upbeat thread of three ABF members meeting for the expressed purpose of sharing in each other's company a wonderful experience, that being the enjoyment of a respected and admired composer and pianist in concert.

Each of the three of you has contributed your verbal thoughts on this wonderful experience. Now, each of the three of you has contributed photos of this momentous occasion.

You, Key Notes and Monica have thrilled each of us interested in your experience.

Many thanks to each of you for sharing your excitement with us in a very thorough and engaging way.

I have bookmarked this thread so I can come back in the future and revisit the enthusiasm of your shared experience. I am thankful that each of you kept the rest of us in mind while enjoying yourself and being so immersed in the moment of enjoying Ludvico Einaudi.

Thank you all for your consideration, \:D

Lisztener

#1036817 - 11/25/08 11:48 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Coastal Mississippi
Lisztener,

I personally don't think we should let them off that easy!!! Sure the pictures and the comments are great - but we here at the forum need more. How about some recordings of Einaudi played by the members while still frresh from basking in the remaining glow of the master himself? See, give us here at ABF enough time and we can always find something more to whine about....

I'm glad everyone had a great time and the stories and pictures really are appreciated. Those of us limited to just reading about your exploits enjoy your sharing.

Thanks,

Woody

#1036818 - 11/25/08 01:50 PM Re: Einaudi Concert

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB:

Is the thread a bit less worthless now? [/b]

Thanks for posting the pictures. I really like the one in front of the window, I'm guessing that was at the Virgin store?

#1036819 - 11/25/08 02:13 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, that was at the in-store concert. I didn't dare try to use my camera during the show at Bimbo's as I wasn't about to fly half way across the country only to get kicked out of the show. \:\)

I think the cutest part of the in-store concert was when an ambulance went down Market Street right outside the window. Ludovico calmly paused his playing turned to the audience with a smile then continued on playing. Oh, and the most annoying part of the in-store concert? The creaky piano bench. I can just imagine what Ludovico must have been thinking the first time he shifted his weight on it. After that I think he tried to shift around as little as possible. Still quite funny. That's what you get when you play at unknown pianos, I suppose. \:\)

#1036820 - 11/25/08 02:59 PM Re: Einaudi Concert

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB:
That's what you get when you play at unknown pianos, I suppose. \:\) [/b]
I've always admired people that can play any piano and make it sound good. I've played a few pianos in churches and nightclubs (not professionally, just fooling around) that were awful[/b] and yet they get played all the time. At least in a concert venue the piano is usually properly prepped.

#1036821 - 11/25/08 03:36 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Kawai, HI Offline

Loc: Hawaii
 Quote:
Originally posted by Key Notes:
 Quote:
Kawai, HI, You are always so nice. If you and polostrings ever visit the mainland and in the area, please let me know. I would love to meet you guys.

Key Notes \:\) [/b]
Thanks! And if you are ever in Hawaii the same goes. Happy Thanksgiving too.

#1036822 - 11/25/08 03:37 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
 Quote:
Originally posted by BB Player:
I've played a few pianos in churches and nightclubs (not professionally, just fooling around) that were awful[/b] and yet they get played all the time. [/b]
And the keys are filthy \:\( I think I've cleaned the keys on every publically available piano in town (that's an exaggeration, but. . .) \:\)

Cathy

#1036823 - 11/25/08 04:44 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Looks like you all had a great time. Nice to see the "Piano Forumites" meeting up like we do on the car side. I've got friends I've now known for over 4yrs and we've stayed at each others houses, gone on weekend breaks and partied, gone to events etc and this was all from the love of a specific car.

But let me get this straight, you went to a place in NorCal called "Bimbos"? \:D

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1036824 - 11/25/08 04:52 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

You bet... hey Anthony, do you still have that napkin? I think mine got thrown away in the confusion of unpacking. Let's just say that the design on the official Bimbo's cocktail napkins were as hard to explain away to my hubby as the name of the establishment itself. \:D

#1036825 - 11/25/08 06:45 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Hey Monica, is this the design you mean?

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/dolfina.gif

(Just in case, I used a link instead of IMG as to not offend anyone - can't imagine it would, but a guy never knows....)

#1036826 - 11/26/08 10:52 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Key Notes:
 Quote:

Key Notes \:\) [/b]
Thanks! And if you are ever in Hawaii the same goes. Happy Thanksgiving too. [/b]
Thanks! \:\)

#1036827 - 11/26/08 11:01 PM Re: Einaudi Concert
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gmm1:
Hey Monica, is this the design you mean?

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/dolfina.gif

(Just in case, I used a link instead of IMG as to not offend anyone - can't imagine it would, but a guy never knows....) [/b]
Yeah... I'm pretty sure that was it. Rather wild, huh? \:D

#1036828 - 11/28/08 12:22 AM Re: Einaudi Concert
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
If you want another napkin, I could probably pick one up sometime.

I have only seen the girl in the fishbowl once. At one time, there was one who was a city councilmember across the bay in Richmond. She is only there for special events nowadays.

Mr. Bimbo was still alive when I first went there. His wife was, too; she died first. I went to his funeral. His grandsons run the club now. Old-timers tell me that during the war, soldiers in uniform would get free meals there. That would have been in the original location at 365 Market Street. You can read the history of the club here.

My next shows there are Aimee Mann's 3rd Annual Christmas Show, next weekend, and then New Year's Eve.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
134 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, AndresD, Alexander Borro, 36251, 38 invisible), 1854 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75596 Members
42 Forums
156304 Topics
2295585 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
P80 for 150
by LarryShone
07/31/14 11:26 AM
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
07/31/14 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission